Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 am 

I want to start playing some death metal guitar. I'll probably want to play on my own without a band and so I need to get a guitar that sounds good so that I will be motivated to keep playing. My budget is around 250 USD to 350 USD.

So do I also need to buy an amplifier? If so which one?

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 pm 

In general, I would suggest a Ibanez GRG170 (or another Ibanez that's like 250$) and the Line6 Spider V 20 MkII. You will have to read the Manual for the Line6 to find out which presets are for metal, but it's worth it, the Line7 Spider can simulate the amp Slayer uses for example. The only problem you will encounter is that many Death Metal bands downtune their guitar, so you either will have to read some tutorials how to setup your guitar for that or visit a guitar technician.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 am 

Hell yeah. Price seems reasonable.

How do I know it sounds good. I was thinking of walking into an actual store and asking to see how it sounds.

shadowalk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:33 am 

I suggest getting a used Ibanez RG321MH or any used fixed-bridge Ibanez/ESP-LTD model you can find. You can upgrade the pickups later.

As for amps. Well that depends. Are you in a place where you can't make a lot of noise? If so, maybe an amp modeler with a good pair of monitoring headphones may just be for you. You can also take that amp modeler and run it into an FX loop or through a power amp if you need to play live...better yet, go direct to the soundboard.

But if you got the bling and you've got the place, hey, by all means, go get yourself a dual rectifier and a matching 4x12 or something lol.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:27 pm 

For a practice amp i would also consider the Yamaha Thr10x: my main amp is too loud to be played at home so i decided to buy this little beast.

I'm pretty impressed by the tones i managed to get with it and it also has an usb input that you can use to record your playing with Reaper, Audacity... For what i paid it i'm really satisfied!

Reply to topic