Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:36 am 

I just bought an Ibanez RGA42FM with Fender Mustang 1 v2.

I just opened a youtube video on power chords for beginners and he was talking about playing this

------------------
-----------------
-----------------
2---------------
2----------------
0---------------

I played it a few times and thought it sounded a lot like Orgasmatron

So I looked up Orgasmatron tabs and it was a similar pattern

So I guess I have non-zero ability I imagine.

How do I go about learning the theory which will make me an intelligent player

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:05 pm 

I have to say first, I am not a skilled guitarist, so keep that in mind. The first thing you should do, is learn how to learn, by ear. Learn some simple riffs, learn how to get the rhythms right. Eventually, your ear will start to recognize the differences, which they call “intervals,” between different notes. Start with simple stuff, at first. Black Sabbath is good for this, because they use blues melodies, where there are fewer notes, further apart, so it’s easier to distinguish between them.

You’ll start to notice the intervals, in songs you’re listening to. Octaves are easy to hear, so are fifths. The self titled song, by Black Sabbath, starts of with a riff, that’s a root(the lowest note of the scale), octave(same note, but one octave up, the sound wave is twice the frequency), and a half octave(tritone). Get your ear used to the simple stuff, then, eventually, you’ll be able to hear a riff, and figure it out by ear.

Figure out which notes are used in each riff, and song, and that’s a scale, or mode. Different cultures share lots of the same ones, they just have different names for them. If you don’t know the official name for it, that’s not important, just be able to play it. You’ll understand how to create different feelings, through different scales, and which notes to emphasize, and how, why, and when, to use the “wrong” notes, if you wish to.

Start by learning riffs and songs you like, simple stuff first, and just keep doing it. Power chords are used a lot in metal, and other heavy genres, because they sound good with heavily distorted sounds. More complex chords only sound good with cleaner guitars(although sometimes people use them with distorted sounds, in black metal, or indie rock). Chords are harder to analyze, with your ear, however. You should eventually learn how to use them, but the basic fundamentals, or any guitar music, are the main melody. Learn how to figure out guitar melodies, by ear, and that’ll set you up, to learn everything else.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:39 pm 

Ben Eller's "why you suck at guitar" series is really well done and introduces you to pretty much every technique you need. Overall an incredibly useful channel

If you are an absolute beginner Andrea Boma Boccarusso (known for his "top riff" videos) is going to post weekly this month parts of his own beginner metal guitar course on youtube. I've seen it in full beforehand and it's excellent to understand all the basics: he's a great player and you can really see his years of experience as teacher

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:19 pm 

Wow.

Thanks to Hexenmacht and Morn of Solace.

I am thinking I should forget 'death metal' for the moment and start with basic stuff.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:25 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Wow.

Thanks to Hexenmacht and Morn of Solace.

I am thinking I should forget 'death metal' for the moment and start with basic stuff.

Some death metal is pretty simple. You can probably play some Obituary or Bolt Thrower riffs, right now.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 am 

Also Pestilence's Twisted Truth intro riff is playable by a beginner and helps you with learning how to move around with power chords. The second riff can be a nightmare at first but it can really help you to familiarize with alternate picking and palm muting if you slow it down. it will take more time to get it at the right speed

Arm yourself with patience and with great tools available like youtube channels and you'll be growing fast. Also aiming at songs a bit higher than your actual skill level can help a lot!

Reply to topic