Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 am 

I recently started to play guitar. Got a Marshall M10 amp. Now I'm looking for some pedals. Nothing too fancy. Mostly going to play 90s era type black metal. Recommendations for reverb/delay and distortion pedals are welcome! Thanks

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm 

the cheaper and more junky the better. I'd say for distortion a Rouge Distortion.
reverb/delay Boss made some pretty decent ones.

I've never been a huge pedal guy esp for those effects, usually I just add that after in production with my DAW

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:39 am 

The equipment thing it's often a mystery in the early 90's stuff, and it's not that surprising since the focus on gear and "right" studios was seen as a death metal thing and actively opposed: most bands tend to be really unspecific about it and it becomes often a guessing game, i'll give my two cents

With some bigger bands there are sometimes photos or documentaries where you can rapidly see some of their gear: for example Dissection often used common Boss pedals like the DS-2 and the MT-2, but we also have to account Dan Swano's magic touch in the studio and Jon's expensive Gibsons

I did a bit of research on the De Mysteriis sound and found that it was very likely the result of a Tubescreamer and an Arion Metal Master SMM-1 (which sounds very similar to the boss HM2) but in that case there is also involved a cranked up JCM800, the natural reverb of the Grieghallen and a good dose of Pytten magic. There are also around a good number of photos of Euronymous using an actual HM-2 together with a Boss SD-1... Again with a Les Paul Guitar, but for what i've seen he used both a Greco copy and a Gibson one

Having the time to tweak the settings helps a lot: last time i helped to set up a local BM band and we got a really good 90's like tone from a Marshall JCM900, it's own built in reverb and a Boss ML-2, which is 100% not what the old bands used

Overall i would go for an HM-2 (or an HM-2 like) and a Tubescreamer (which is an exceptionally useful pedal regardless of the genre) but if you have the way to try them you may find that even a cheap distortion pedal can do wonders, like Shaolin said!
I'm a bit more dubious about the amp tough: with a small amp like the M10 i'm not sure how the results could be

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:32 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
The equipment thing it's often a mystery in the early 90's stuff, and it's not that surprising since the focus on gear and "right" studios was seen as a death metal thing and actively opposed: most bands tend to be really unspecific about it and it becomes often a guessing game, i'll give my two cents

With some bigger bands there are sometimes photos or documentaries where you can rapidly see some of their gear: for example Dissection often used common Boss pedals like the DS-2 and the MT-2, but we also have to account Dan Swano's magic touch in the studio and Jon's expensive Gibsons

I did a bit of research on the De Mysteriis sound and found that it was very likely the result of a Tubescreamer and an Arion Metal Master SMM-1 (which sounds very similar to the boss HM2) but in that case there is also involved a cranked up JCM800, the natural reverb of the Grieghallen and a good dose of Pytten magic. There are also around a good number of photos of Euronymous using an actual HM-2 together with a Boss SD-1... Again with a Les Paul Guitar, but for what i've seen he used both a Greco copy and a Gibson one

Having the time to tweak the settings helps a lot: last time i helped to set up a local BM band and we got a really good 90's like tone from a Marshall JCM900, it's own built in reverb and a Boss ML-2, which is 100% not what the old bands used

Overall i would go for an HM-2 (or an HM-2 like) and a Tubescreamer (which is an exceptionally useful pedal regardless of the genre) but if you have the way to try them you may find that even a cheap distortion pedal can do wonders, like Shaolin said!
I'm a bit more dubious about the amp tough: with a small amp like the M10 i'm not sure how the results could be

I'm definitely not looking to copy a sound per se (although I did go for the Les Paul and Marshall combo, haha), but I just know nothing about pedals. Thank you for the information, I appreciate it! The M10 is just for practice at the moment. Eventually I will invest in a more decent Marshall but for now it'll do.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 pm 

This is the only pedal you need.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:14 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
a cranked up JCM800

What I've heard contests this in that, actually, it was run at very low volume. This would make sense, as this kind of amp produces a hissing, trebly sound at low volumes, whereas cranking it up fills out the bottom end of the sound a lot. I think the low volume tone would've been something Euronymous would've liked.

For perfectionists, it was also most likely a JMP 2203.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:34 pm 

Anything you can get in your hands will be fine. However,i recommend you the boss DS-1 and the boss metal pedal.

As i usually say: "it's not the arrow,but the hunter that uses it". Doing the best you can with anything you can get is in my opinion one of the ethics of black metal.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:03 am 

Emperor used a Peavy Bandit(I believe) on their first album. Immortal used Mesa Boogies and eventually went to the Engl Ritchie Blackmoore model. Darkthrone used some kind of a Fender combo amp etc. but the pedal associated with that sound is the Boss HM-2. Sometimes a Boss HM-2 in conjucntion with a Boss DS-1. I have seen a picture of a young Euronymous with his Les Paul and what looked like a Boss turbo distortion laying around. Jon of Dissection used Gibson guitars with boosted Marshalls(a JCM900.) Pretty sure him and Johann Norman used the Boss MT-2 pedal, which is a fucking beast if you push it through a tube amp. Boss is a solid fucking company. Anything they make is decent and will surely fit your needs. I got a Behringer Ultra Metal distortion pedal given to me a while back by Omnihility's guitar player. The thing honestly fucking slays for black metal tone and it's cheap. I hope you find what you are looking for and remember to practice as much as you can. If you're really wanting to stick to guitar and want a proper black metal tone invest in a high quality amp.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:51 pm 

Fefnir wrote:
As i usually say: "it's not the arrow,but the hunter that uses it".

I’ve always liked that approach, but I prefer it as ‘it’s not the dope on the gun, but the dope behind the gun’. Picked that up on the rifle range in the Marines and applied it to music as well.

Reply to topic