Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:41 pm 

Is it worth it to take the raw tracks of my one man project to a Music recording studio to be mastered and mixed by them?

Or would even the cheapest studios charge me thousands of dollars for that?

What should I do?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:37 pm 

That depends entirely on what you want to get, no one can answer that for you.
Prices will vary from guys mixing your album for $5 (likely by just throwing it into pirated ezmix or something) to LA studios requiring a kidney as a down payment, and everything in between.

But for the sake of giving you a starting point: are your tracks well recorded to begin with? No amount of studio magic is gonna help if the stems you're sending their way are bad.
If the answer is yes, just look for guys who fit your budget, and filter by checking the ones whose work you like the most. Then contact them to see which are available to do the work in a time frame that suits your needs, and get the specifics on how you should deliver your tracks to optimize the workflow. You may need to rerecord things according to their specs if they find that what you already have is unfitting.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm 

i'd generally recommend sending your tracks elsewhere to get mixed and mastered, especially if you're fairly new to the process. better to let someone else who is experienced handle it while you improve your craft, if you're even interested in learning mixing at all. i mixed a lot of my early stuff and regret doing so, because i let my inexperience get in the way of good songs.

i myself am a mixing and mastering engineer, and i'd be interested in talking to you about doing it. PM me if you're interested.

Reply to topic