Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:25 pm 

This will come across as a very naive question but here we go.

Can someone please ELI5 the main differences between the 3.

Like a simple day in the life of a producer, mixer, and master(er)

I know that sometimes it’s the same individual or individuals who perform
All three tasks. But I still for the life of me cannot understand the differences between the three.

For example, when an album is remastered - what does that entail exactly? It’s clearly different from a remix. Further, I’ve heard of albums being reproduced. How does that differ from
A remix or remaster?

Apologies in advance for this stupid question. But you all seem like a decent enough bunch.

Cheers!

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:32 pm 

No idea what "re-produced" might mean, but mixing vs mastering, well, there's this video, for instance (sorry for the non-metal track he's using as an example)

When you add "re-", you do this all over again. If you remix, you have the original tracks and can do whatever with them. If you remaster, you have a finished mix and then you mess around with it.

A producer is basically the person who is like artistic quality control. They say "good enough" or "I want this solo re-recorded". Or they can even choose 13 tracks out of thirty that the band has written (this is a weird example, but it's what Amorphis are saying about their upcoming record).

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 am 

Also, there's producing vs. engineering. Engineering is generally about the technical, fine details of how everything is recorded, how amps and drums are miced, what microphones are used, etc. Production is more all-encompassing and also sometimes deals with songwriting, album flow, song arrangements, instrumentation, guest appearances, band personality management and such. But production and engineering are often used as synonyms for the overall sound of the album. The producer is technically responsible for the sound as a whole, but it can go wrong (or right) in any of the stages depending upon how good and hands-on the producer is.

Too often most of what a remaster is, is just boosting the overall volume so it stands out when it's put on a playlist with other songs for radio. Often this involves squashing the mix with compression so everything sounds louder and more punchy. Frequently this is at the expense of having dynamic range, so the track doesn't breathe as much. But it all depends upon the remixing/remastering engineer(s), remixes are all over the place in quality and purpose.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:32 pm 

Cheers all - makes more sense to me now.

Reply to topic