Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:08 pm 

Hello team.
I have some 6 old tracks from my first band that I want myself to edit and remaster as the software available nowadays is much more advanced than it was when we recorded this in 2008.

So I have these mp3 audio files that were recorded in a studio but they are a rehearsal version of the songs and these were not recorded in separate channels, they were recorded in a single microphone and the only track added was the vocal which is super loud in the final mix

I found an APK for Android called SplitHit. Its a karaoke app that grabs your audio files and uses an algorithm to break down the instruments and I tried to use it on my own tracks with mixed results, some songs worked fine some others have half of the guitars mixed with vocals while drums were the only track accurate enough. I managed to do some changes in separate audio channels but I was wondering if there is any alternative software that could allow me to separate audio samples into channels and, if it is Windows based is 1500% better as I hate Android platform for audio edition.

I know that there are some alternatives for MAC but I don't use MAC so, does anyone knows a program or application to achieve this or do something similar? for regular audio edition I mainly use WavePad and Audacity

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:06 pm 

All you're doing by running the songs through track splitters is degrading the already low (mp3) audio quality to then try and join again. It's gonna be pretty damn hard not to actually make it worse.
Your best bet is to work as thoroughly with an EQ as possible, and for that purpose Audacity is more than enough.

If the rhythm section isn't too complex, you can try overlaying samples to give it some more depth, but you gonna have to be very conscious about what you're doing to make it blend with the original sound.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:29 pm 

There's a Spleeter GUI (precompiled) for Windows:
https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI

But coupdebleus is absolutely right, you're working with a lossy-compressed source and that is really really prone to artefacting.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:11 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
All you're doing by running the songs through track splitters is degrading the already low (mp3) audio quality to then try and join again. It's gonna be pretty damn hard not to actually make it worse.
Your best bet is to work as thoroughly with an EQ as possible, and for that purpose Audacity is more than enough.

If the rhythm section isn't too complex, you can try overlaying samples to give it some more depth, but you gonna have to be very conscious about what you're doing to make it blend with the original sound.

Hello and thanks for answer.
Yes I was aware that most of the audio samples received may have a terrible audio quality but that just what I wanted, to edit each section separate so I can remove background buzz, static, unnecessary noises and at least normalize the vocals on each audio file separate as the final mix was a mess to start with back in the day.

If I get enough positive results I may release it but if not I can dismiss the idea at least knowing that I tried my best.

Thank you again

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:10 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
There's a Spleeter GUI (precompiled) for Windows:
https://makenweb.com/SpleeterGUI

But coupdebleus is absolutely right, you're working with a lossy-compressed source and that is really really prone to artefacting.

I've been playing with this application all day and I must say that is better than expected, is even better than Splithit

What I did is to separate original audio into several channels and then I re upload those separate channels into more channels, I've been able to remove a lot of background noise that I can use the equalizer into each separate track.

Thank you so much again

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:50 am 

^You're most welcome!

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:10 pm 

Tonatiuth wrote:
coupdebleus wrote:

Hello and thanks for answer.
Yes I was aware that most of the audio samples received may have a terrible audio quality but that just what I wanted, to edit each section separate so I can remove background buzz, static, unnecessary noises and at least normalize the vocals on each audio file separate as the final mix was a mess to start with back in the day.

If I get enough positive results I may release it but if not I can dismiss the idea at least knowing that I tried my best.

Thank you again

Any chance of re-recording it? If it's a song you really like, maybe it deserves a top quality recording. Especially if you are thinking you want to release it.

Reply to topic