Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GalgonP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:24 am 

Hello
Anyone have any experience or advice on getting a suitable raw depressive black metal tone using only free VST plugins?
What sort of amp sim/impulse response/plugins can achieve this? preferably free.
Tone in question would be something like Abyssic hate - suicidal emotions, Hypothermia - Veins, Exiled from Light, Life Neglected - Bleeding Hope

Thanks

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:34 pm 

with the possibility of coming off like I'm secretly an ugritone employee trying to sell something, I think this video of them showcasing one of their IR packs is a good one for finding a cheap raw black metal tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FWAnjCp2QE

I use their black metal IRs quite a bit, especially the black wizard preset. The presets all have a room sound so you don't necessarily have to add a bunch of reverb either. Also downloaded the amp sim from audiority, it's free and surprisingly good for black metal. If you're looking to spend absolutely nothing you can even only get that sim because it comes with a stock IR in the plugin that's fine, the video will still be useful for dialing in the amp. I would also grab a tube screamer plugin somewhere, there's a lot of free ones available from various people and it's essential for a lot of metal tones as a subtle boost that gets your guitar sound where it needs to be without having to crank the settings on the sim as hard. The one I personally like is from Ignite amps, it's a freebie and I use it on most things. Although if you're looking to go really raw you might intentionally forego it since it the common purpose is a subtle overdrive that tightens the guitar's midrange sound in the mix.

GalgonP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:09 am 

Useful information
Do you think it would be a mistake to completely not use a cab IR and just have the raw amp sound? I know it sounds awful and most people want to avoid it, but this kind of tone seems pretty close to Abyssic hates fuzzy sound.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:27 pm 

TSE 808 and R47 for two types of distortion
Acon Digital Multiply is a chorus that also doubles as an amazing echo
Ignite NadIR for Impulse Response
Tritik Krush if you want to further degrade the signal
Sanford Reverb for… Well, reverb

All of those are free and top-notch quality. You should be able to get the sound you're looking for without too much effort.

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:55 pm 

GalgonP wrote:
Useful information
Do you think it would be a mistake to completely not use a cab IR and just have the raw amp sound? I know it sounds awful and most people want to avoid it, but this kind of tone seems pretty close to Abyssic hates fuzzy sound.

Personally I wouldn't, but shit if it sounds good to you then do it.

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:05 am 

The Ugritone Impulse Responses are great! I think it is a great idea that they are so specific for which genre, and even specific album sound they intend the IRs to be used. And they have a lot of understanding of how metal works, and what metal musician want from an amp simulation.

As an additional recommendation, I am a big fan of the lePou amp simulations. They're even free, but they are of such quality that you don't really need others.

Reply to topic