Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:29 pm 

Got a friend who's having trouble getting a decent tone on Neural DSP. He's using a Scarlett 2i2, and this guitar. He also has the Gojira, Plini, and Fortin plugins.

He says he just wants "a standard distorted tone that doesn’t sound shitty." Any tips, techniques, or troubleshooting info?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:15 pm 

just to check, he does have it set to instrument level? is it clipping? does he have any audio clips of what it sounds like? because if it isnt something obvious like those first two suggestions it's something to do with his settings. it's hard to recommend a solution without any idea of what it sounds like because, honestly, the NeuralDSP stuff tends to sound good right from the start. they dont require a ton of tweaking to sound good, especially with the kind of guitar he has.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:37 pm 

It's set to instrument level, and it ain't clipping. He says the issue might not actually be with his equipment, just with his headphones. He also says the clean tones are always good.

He recorded this just now:
https://sndup.net/g4wq/

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:59 pm 

i mean, that sounds fine to me. it could use maybe a bit more brightness and grind, but that's just personal taste. that's a perfectly acceptable guitar tone.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:18 am 

Don't forget that amp sims with IR's are going to sound like a miced up cab. It's not easy to make it sound like a real amp standing next to you. Tone in the sound sample sounds fine.

Also, I really love some NeuralDSP amps (Cali is nice, but there is something that tires me a bit, but I love the SLO sim) but I usually use 3rd party IR's. I really like the York Audio IRs and use a lot of Ownhammer IRs. Jens Bogren has a couple of nice ones too. Makes the tone very different. I even would go as far as to say the IRs matter more than the amp sim nowadays.

elkulon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:45 pm 

Dunno which plugin your friend is trying to use.
I use Cali amp sim, and I have a really nice sound, without tweaking knobs too much. I believe cab section is not too that bad, but I prefer to use IRs from another source. Lately, I re-found OwnHammer Marshall 1960 Cab, and, with Cali, I have gotten a really rocker sound, from modern hard rock, to modern extreme metal. I work with Libra, with an ignite amps tpa-1 in between amp and cab, trying to raise a little more those harmonics.

Jasper92 wrote:
Don't forget that amp sims with IR's are going to sound like a miced up cab. It's not easy to make it sound like a real amp standing next to you. Tone in the sound sample sounds fine.

It's absolutely true that you won't get the same air punch from IRs that you get from actual cab, no matter how you labor the IR section in your DAW, but.... that's why you can work several parallel IRs, with IRs recorded from a couple of feets far from the cone... to give you some other perspective

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:14 pm 

I have Nolly and Fortin Cali. I like the Nolly better for rhythm, and Cali better for leads. I also mix in a little Ignite Embassy for lead tones too.

Nolly is pretty good from my perspective. It's not going to sound exactly like my stack because it's not moving any air and I don't care what anyone says, if you aren't moving air there's no way to replicate that. Good Cab Sims can get you pretty close and can give you a great range of tones outside of the Amp Sim itself.

Also, the challenges with live amps in recording are there too - the room acoustics, mic placement, mic type/brand, etc.

But it's definitely a recordable tone. He can try working with the mic placement on the Cab Sim module. That makes a heck of a difference. Generally you'll get more bite with the mics closer to the cone of the speakers (which is pretty true-to-life). But I'm using some targeted boosts post amp in my FX chain too.

I've tried a lot of amp sims and I feel like NeuralDSP ranks pretty far up there. But for playing live I'd never ever try to use that.

Ultimately if your friend is like me the obsession with obtaining the perfect tone never ends. It's the curse of every guitar player :). Nothing will ever sound as awesome as you want it to. But play it for someone else, they'll probably think it's fine.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Reply to topic