Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:57 pm 

Need some drummers' help:

I've got an issue that's been driving me crazy. I've had an Alesis Surge drum kit for a while now, but only recently got a double kick pedal to go with it. Ever since getting this pedal, I've noticed that the bass drum will have softer "echo" hits in between intended bass drum hits. This inevitably happens when playing double bass at ~130 BPM, but I've noticed it even when playing at 110, and sometimes even slower. I've already messed with the sensitivity and threshold settings but that didn't help.

My technique isn't perfect, but it's nowhere near sloppy enough to be wholly at fault for the triggering inconsistencies. Sometimes it honestly sounds like a basketball's being badly dribbled. Any tips on how to fix this?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:11 pm 

Is the bass drum head mesh or rubber? I have an Alesis Nitro and have the exact same problem with my rubber bass head. I've heard the only fix is to switch to the mesh one, which is more accurate and has a bigger hit box.

If the head is already mesh, then it must be just an Alesis thing. In which case you'll need you'll want to look into buying a cheap/small bass drum and adding a trigger. Annoying but worth doing, because you don't want to have to adapt your technique due to a technological limitation. Some more discussion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/edrums/comment ... um_issues/
https://www.reddit.com/r/edrums/comment ... mand_mesh/

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:28 am 

Thanks for the help, Narsilianshard. The bass drum pad I’m using is mesh. I also checked out the links, and one of my suspicions was confirmed: using felt beaters can mess up both the pad and sensor. The double bass pedal I’m using now isn’t doesn’t have felt beaters, but for a while I used one that did, so that may have messed things up. At this point I’m probably going to just get another compatible kick that’s more durable. Thanks again!

Reply to topic