Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:30 pm 

Hey there folks! I used to play bass a while back, but I have not played in a few years. I still have my electric bass, but I want to gear up and I basically have nothing else left but the bass. So I wanted to know what gear I need and what would be the best brands and models.

If it helps, I'm interested in playing doom and death metal.

More specific questions:
I need an amp, but do I need a pre-amp?
What would be a good headset to practice and hear myself?
What pedals would I eventually need to play death and doom metal?

Thanks in advance :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:18 pm 

no pre amp unless you are using just a power amp with no EQ. depending on what you plan on doing would dictate what I would suggest
no idea, I play at full concert volume for practice and recording. I can hear myself, everyone can hear me.
no pedals are needed unless you want a certain tone. saying what kind of tone you are looking for will help dictate what would be suggested.

there's clean bass tones in doom and death metal and dirty nasty tones. kinda need at least what sorta doom and death metal you plan on tackling or just list some of your favorite bands you love the bass tone on.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm 

I bought a Hartke Hydrive 500 watt 2x10 combo a couple years ago, and I still love this thing. It sounds great, and it pushes some serious volume, too.

If you're looking to bring pedals into it, you might look into the newish Boss Katana bass amps. I've been thinking about doing that myself - I've long been a fan of the Katana guitar amps, so I can imagine the bass ones must be pretty good, too.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:18 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
no pre amp unless you are using just a power amp with no EQ. depending on what you plan on doing would dictate what I would suggest
no idea, I play at full concert volume for practice and recording. I can hear myself, everyone can hear me.
no pedals are needed unless you want a certain tone. saying what kind of tone you are looking for will help dictate what would be suggested.

there's clean bass tones in doom and death metal and dirty nasty tones. kinda need at least what sorta doom and death metal you plan on tackling or just list some of your favorite bands you love the bass tone on.

Well, I'm hoping to play a variety of genres, but yeah, let's see. Since I'm learning still, I'll probably focus on easier stuff at first, so more doom then death. But here goes.

Doom:
Sleep
Boris
Om
Bongripper
Electric Wizard
Black Sabbath
Candlemass
Atlantean Kodex

Death:
Bolt Thrower
Death
Blood Red Throne
Cannibal Corpse
Carcass

Death Doom/Gothic Rock:
Katatonia
Tribulation
Anathema
Daylight Dies

Stuff like that.

pyratebastard wrote:
I bought a Hartke Hydrive 500 watt 2x10 combo a couple years ago, and I still love this thing. It sounds great, and it pushes some serious volume, too.

If you're looking to bring pedals into it, you might look into the newish Boss Katana bass amps. I've been thinking about doing that myself - I've long been a fan of the Katana guitar amps, so I can imagine the bass ones must be pretty good, too.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Hartke Hydrive gear. As for pedals it might be a better idea not to focus on that right now. But I'll save this info for later :)

Reply to topic