Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:33 pm 

So for the longest time I would simply just practice one of my songs for 2-4 weeks beforehand and then I would use my DAW to record my guitar. I would have my amp on full blast with a Shure mic placed up against it. I would also be wearing headphones with a MIDI guitar track playing in my ear that I played along to.

But then I bought a new guitar and wanted to try to further upgrade my amp sound as well so I downloaded a free amp simulator. This is where all my problems started as I am finding it near impossible to simultaneously hear through my headphones both my MIDI guitar track AND my guitar sounds going through the amp sim in the DAW. It seems near impossible to create the perfect volume balance between the two sounds. Every time I adjust either the MIDI or the amp sim one seems to always over power the other.

When I practice my songs before recording I play along to a Guitar Pro MIDI file of my song using my in real life amp. But I also play along to just the Guitar Pro drum and bass tracks using my physical amp as well for practice. And everything seems completely fine and tight with this practice setup. But for some reason this whole amp sim recording setup in my DAW with the amp sim, bass, and drum sounds all going through my headphone speakers is really throwing me off. Even when I'm trying to just play to the drum track in my DAW either my amp sim will drown out those sounds or the drums will drown out my amp sim no matter how much I try to tweak things.

So how do you all record your amp sim guitar? Do you all just play along to the drum and bass track of your songs? Any tips on how I can adjust the tracks so I can hear them equally?

I really want to go back to my old method of recording a real amp, but this is hard to stomach and accept knowing how much more versatile and practical it is to record an amp sim as I can later apply any kind of amp to the cleanly recorded guitars and the process isn't loud with cumbersome and delicate setups.

Dsharpdim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:07 pm 

Start by muting some of your tracks.

Maybe start with a scratch track recorded the way you're used to and then play along to that, doing away with the MIDI track.

Then just keep plugging away at it until it all comes together.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:11 am 

All I do is put on the metronome and play and record. No backing track necessary.

If you want to change the sound after recording but still want to use a physical amplifier, you might could look into reamping. You can do it with a passive DI box. It's where you simultaneously record the amplifier and the clean signal from the guitar, so you have the same performance which you can later feed back into the amplifier and make changes to the sound.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:20 pm 

Pan the midi guitar to the right speaker and the actual guitar to the left. It helps I think.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:31 am 

Amp sim panned to one side, midi guitar panned to another. Or, route your session so that the midi guitar comes through headphones (put one ear on) and everything else comes out of the speakers. Or vice-versa. Or change the sound of the midi guitars to a piano sound.

I don't really see why the midi guitars are needed, personally. I would find that hella distracting.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic