Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SwedishMetalHead30
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:50 pm 

Hello

I would like to growl like black metal vocals.
I tried my best here.
How does it sound?
Do you have any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBxohqE ... C3%96hlund

Neurological Outsourcing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:34 pm 

I'm getting a "video unavailable" page. Maybe check the privacy settings.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:55 pm 

Morten Veland (Tristania, Sirenia) Course. Oslo, Norway.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/5FXMcIL ... 10mCf9fZrA
Rejoin my soul with thine

Silkof
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:13 am 

There are plenty of videos online. I would advice you the following...

1. Learn how to warm up your diaphragm with breathing techniques. Do this everyday before you sing for about 5 -10 minutes.

2. Learn how to warm up your throat/ vocal cords. When you're a beginner your warm up for death metal vocals is your practice. It may last only 5 minutes. Star by trying to immitage an angre dog or wolf when the growl. Find a note/ pitch that is comfortable for you. Use your diaphragm from the previous exercise. Gargle some water if you feel you throat become irritated. Don't push it. When you feel uncofortable stop. The next day you'll do the same.

3. After you learn the exiercise start to practide in different pitches. Maybe one semitone up or down.

4. Find a song you like with growling vocals and after your warm up start practicing singing with it but dont use too much volume. Low volume for the song so you can hear yourself without much effort. When you feel your throat irritated stop. If you overdo it you should stop for 3-4 day until you fell your thorat is 100 normal.

This is the method I practiced as an experiment counting my days of practice using the jail days numbering. After 20 days of practice I could sing smoke on the water from Six feet under with ease.

After years of practice I'm at a very comfortable place.

https://youtu.be/TkYr5h0Cr5g

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:21 pm 

Method 1:

Sigh and mid-sigh (as the air and voice comes out) abruptly hold your breath like *hugh* and hold the air/voice in so it doesn't come out. Practice this. These are the false cord muscles constricting to cut out the air and hold your breath.

Once you have that then try to push air and voice through the constriction, you will relax it a bit for this. If you push pure voice without much air you will go into throat singing similar to Kargyraa. If you push air and voice more equally you will get a basic growl. You need to practice a relaxed vocal cord constriction to get the growl instead of Kargyraa, so whispering through the constriction may get you the correct coordination. Though you don't want to be quiet so use this coordination as a foundation and learn to get louder through it.

Method 2:

Speak through a quiet breathy whisper like "yeaaahh" or "yoooooh", keep this whisper coordination going forward in your throat. Repeat your breathy whisper. Each time you repeat it hold that coordination in your throat and start to try to yell through it with more voice. Yelling through a whisper should give you the sound of a growl. To develop this, start with breathing in air, use the whisper coordination, yell voice out and push the air and voice out with your diaphragm (contracting your stomach muscles to push air out). Eventually you can get a full voice loudness/power growl with this technique.

Play with it:

Practice this basic growl - experiment with more air, or more voice just work on it a while. Should be mid range. Later on your can change mouth shape and pitch of your voice behind it for different high/low growls, more spoken word or more screamed growls etc.

Reply to topic