Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 am 

Does anyone know if Flo Mounier's instruction DVD "Extreme Metal Drumming 101" is available for download on the internet? If so can you PM me with a link or something (link to torrents etc is fine, even suggestions of p2p software where you have located it would be greatly appreciated)

rail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:40 am 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
rail wrote:
I am curious who you guys think is the fastest metal drummer out there? I know there are some greats like drummers from Morbid Angel (old stuff) and Nile. But I think that the drummer from The Berzerker might be the fastest. He is insane!

A lot of people have stuck to the rumor that he isn't actually playing and that it is a drum machine, but most people know that he just triggers his drum set. Plus if you watch the videos, you can see what a blur he is when he plays.

I would give my left nut in a heart beat just to play half as fast as some of the metal drummers do.

I think it was rumoured that The Berzerker drummer was fastest, but he really isn't...although he shits all over me! :P I'm sure you could just Google it and it will tell you.

In my opinion, the drummers for Beneath The Massacre and Scrambled Defuncts are pretty fast. Although playing fast doesn't always mean you'll be playing well.

Having said that, my left nut can also be given away to play at those speeds. ;)

Technicality over speed anyday. Marco Minemman FTW! And George Kollias for BOTH! Speed and technicality..damn straight. Master of one footed blast IMO

I too would go for technique over speed. Antonio Sanchez (to add to the list) Amazing. He is the only drummer that I have ever seen playing four time signatures at the same time!!! I only wanted to know who people liked for fast METAL drummers. But you can never turn a blind eye to amazing drummers!!!

metal_son
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:25 pm 

there are lots of legends in drums section like lars ulrich (metallica) and daniel erlandsson (former of inflames and now in arch enemy) and hell hammer the drummer of (dimmu borgir) they r real legends and any one wants to be like them specially me:D or :-D or :grin:

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:47 am 

Mr_Lender wrote:
Does anyone know if Flo Mounier's instruction DVD "Extreme Metal Drumming 101" is available for download on the internet? If so can you PM me with a link or something (link to torrents etc is fine, even suggestions of p2p software where you have located it would be greatly appreciated)

Yep, google "Extreme Metal Drumming 101 torrent" and you'll find some torrents.

It's not that great IMHO, it didn't show me anything I hadn't seen before and flo's not the best instructor. You'll learn much more from Jojo mayer's recent "secret weapons of the modern drummer" dvd, which should be floating around the interweb somewhere.

Last edited by damaramou on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:51 am 

rail wrote:
I too would go for technique over speed. Antonio Sanchez (to add to the list) Amazing. He is the only drummer that I have ever seen playing four time signatures at the same time!!! I only wanted to know who people liked for fast METAL drummers. But you can never turn a blind eye to amazing drummers!!!

I'll wager that Virgil donati can do four sigs at once too, he's the god of limb independence! I'll definitely check out Mr.Sanchez tho.

I don't think speed in metal drumming really counts for that much anymore, there are so many high speed drummers out there complete with one handed rolls and heel toe double bass that it's become almost meaningless, so technicality is definitely the way to go if you wanna stand out.

Thought you guys might enjoy this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqwvjwq ... ed&search=

It's a guy drumming to a super mario bro's tune, tis really good stuff! His version of the simpsons theme tune is pretty special to.

buttercup
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:43 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what grip to you guys play? I learned on a snare, so I usually play traditional, but sometimes I'll switch to match, just for fun.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:31 am 

damaramou wrote:
rail wrote:

I'll wager that Virgil donati can do four sigs at once too, he's the god of limb independence! I'll definitely check out Mr.Sanchez tho.

I don't think speed in metal drumming really counts for that much anymore, there are so many high speed drummers out there complete with one handed rolls and heel toe double bass that it's become almost meaningless, so technicality is definitely the way to go if you wanna stand out.

It's a guy drumming to a super mario bro's tune, tis really good stuff! His version of the simpsons theme tune is pretty special to.

ACTUALLY the outright standalone GOD of limb independence is Marco Minneman. Nobody beats that machine of a drummer. And buttercup match ftw. What about the best non metal drummers out there? Well Marco Minneman is there too but i saw Dennis Chambers the other night and holy fuck he's amazing. Hes got crazy speed and limb independence. He was having all four limbs do different stuff while doing it ridiculously fast.

truemetalist89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:14 pm 

this is how i learned how to play drums: i took up drum lessons at a music store, once i learned the basics of drumming, i quite and decided to teach myself how to play songs by listening to the songs constantly to the point where i could get a drumset and play the songs perfectly. it was something natural that just happened on its own. so a few months later, my dad bought me my first drumset for christmas. it was a black VERVE, 5-piece beginner set that i still have to this day. i enjoy playing on it, but the kicker has a stiff handling so i got a Tama double kicker for $200 and it works a lot smoother. if yu want a top of line beginner set, get a Tama OR A Pearl 5-piece set.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:15 pm 

Yea tamas are pretty nice, but where I am it takes a really long time to ship them in :P. What do you guys think I should get if i'm getting a new set. I'm looking for a deep, loud, beefy kind of sound. price range $1000-$2000. Something durable too.

rail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:43 pm 

buttercup wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what grip to you guys play? I learned on a snare, so I usually play traditional, but sometimes I'll switch to match, just for fun.

Match grip is all I play. My instructors over the years say that match is all you need except when you play with brushes, there are somethings only traditional can do.

But I say that is all bunk, because traditional grip looks cool as all hell. I wonder what blasting looks like with a traditional grip. I wish I could play traditional, but I get along fine with match.

Earthad1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:00 pm 

i've seen some drummers in metal with traditonal play live. One was just as quick, where as another had to switch to match grip to blast. It's impressive though. Fun to watch too. Wish i remmebered the bands.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:59 am 

I've only played using match grip. I don't even know how to hold the stick the other way! I only thought that match grip was useful for jazz, but I'm almost definitely wrong there.

I haven't been on my drum kit in a while...now I feel like playing. Too bad it's 8pm right now. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

A_Child_of_the_Grave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 pm 

Hello. Lurker here.

My personal favorite metal drummer is Mike Portnoy, simply because you can't have someone play a Dream Theater song that you don't know and just make something up that sounds good under it. You HAVE TO play what Mike plays.

As for techniques, I've been experimenting with the heel-toe technique, which is when you hit the pedal with ONLY your heel, which makes the pedal go right back up, from which point you can use your toes for a second stroke. It's pretty inefficient for rolling, but if you want two quick bass hits, the heel-toe can free up whatever foot is not usually on the bass drum.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:14 pm 

When hitting the bass drum, do you (you drummers) bend your ankle or go up and down with your leg?

Using ankle seems more efficient to me than whole leg, but I am less coordinated with my ankle.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 pm 

RegularK wrote:
When hitting the bass drum, do you (you drummers) bend your ankle or go up and down with your leg?

Using ankle seems more efficient to me than whole leg, but I am less coordinated with my ankle.

Because of the awfulness of my bass drum pedal, I tend to move my whole leg. Once I upgrade it, I should get some better technique happening.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:16 pm 

A_Child_of_the_Grave wrote:
As for techniques, I've been experimenting with the heel-toe technique, which is when you hit the pedal with ONLY your heel, which makes the pedal go right back up, from which point you can use your toes for a second stroke. It's pretty inefficient for rolling, but if you want two quick bass hits, the heel-toe can free up whatever foot is not usually on the bass drum.

Im one of those people that do the slide the foot up thing. Like I hit the bass pedal then I slide my foot forward as it bounces back. And I use my whole leg to hit bass drum. Oh have you guys ever tried taking the spring off you bass drum and playing? Its quite good practice for double bass. Just doing it one foot at a time.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:15 am 

Hello. Lurker here.

My personal favorite metal drummer is Mike Portnoy, simply because you can't have someone play a Dream Theater song that you don't know and just make something up that sounds good under it. You HAVE TO play what Mike plays.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that heel-toe was great for high speed rolling, don't lots of metal drummers use it to reach ridiculous speeds? Like the guy from 'As blood runs black', he hits well above 250 on many of the songs using heel-toe. They have to use triggers of course because once you get into higher speeds it sounds like arse.

I've tried heel-toe but I didn't like it, I use up/down or whatever it's called, which is where you do a normal heel-up stroke, then you rock your foot backwards on the base of the pedal and perform a heel-down stroke, it sounds much even than heel-toe IMHO.

I've been working on my double strokes alot recently, I can finally double stroke around the kit, but not not consistently! Been working on my moeller triple and quad strokes too but there very much a work in progress.

rail
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:36 pm 

damaramou wrote:
Hello. Lurker here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that heel-toe was great for high speed rolling, don't lots of metal drummers use it to reach ridiculous speeds? Like the guy from 'As blood runs black', he hits well above 250 on many of the songs using heel-toe. They have to use triggers of course because once you get into higher speeds it sounds like arse.

I've tried heel-toe but I didn't like it, I use up/down or whatever it's called, which is where you do a normal heel-up stroke, then you rock your foot backwards on the base of the pedal and perform a heel-down stroke, it sounds much even than heel-toe IMHO.

I've been working on my double strokes alot recently, I can finally double stroke around the kit, but not not consistently! Been working on my moeller triple and quad strokes too but there very much a work in progress.

It is really cool that all you guys like to talk technique. Here is my opinion.

Heel-toe is slower than sliding the foot up and down the board in a heel-up position. There are tons of books and DVDs on the matter. Drummers from Nile and Lamb of God talk about it, and have a DVD for it. The benefit of Heel-toe is consistency, control and power. Sliding is pure speed.

I use both heal-up and heal-down. They have different attributes for various styles. Also when you play heal-up you can either use your ankle for speed, or use the whole leg for power and stability. I use both of those too.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm 

Yea, but if you get good at it you are able to control the speed when you slide. Also, its hard to do heel toe without a longboard pedal. And they are hellz expensive. I do agree that heal toe focuses more on technique but its, as always, whatever you get comfortable with. And it's still easy to get power when sliding. Also do you guys have any tips on doing the moeller thing that was mentioned earlier?

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am 

Yea, but if you get good at it you are able to control the speed when you slide. Also, its hard to do heel toe without a longboard pedal. And they are hellz expensive. I do agree that heal toe focuses more on technique but its, as always, whatever you get comfortable with. And it's still easy to get power when sliding. Also do you guys have any tips on doing the moeller thing that was mentioned earlier?

Thats one of the reason's why I use up/down over heel-toe, you don't need longboards for up/down, in fact you don't really need 'em for heel-toe but I found it quite uncomfortable without one!

Check out the song 'My fears have become phobias' by 'As blood runs black' for some crazy heel-toe double bass, towards the end of the song the drummer hits absolute light speed!

As for moeller, it's basically a whipping motion that you employ with your hands to get lots of bounce out of a stroke, so you can get three, four or even more hits out of one stroke, it takes a long time to master tho and I'm certainly no master! Here are some vids on it:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drums ... ularo.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSVhDsO9jc

And there are plenty more floating about the net. The best video I've seen on moeller is jojo mayer's "secret weapons of the modern drummer dvd" it shows it in extreme detail, I'm pretty sure there's a torrent of the dvd floating around somewhere.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:52 am 

Good songs for examples. Thanks for those links, they worked pretty well. I'll have to practice it alot though its seems kind of tough.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:55 am 

Yeah it is pretty tricky, just start slow, maybe practice moeller triplets for 5 minutes a day on a practice pad and see how you get on. The whole interlacing triplets thing is way beyond me still though.

greengalvatron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:28 am 

I got my drum set 3 days ago. I've had this crappy $200 yamaha drum pad thing for awhile. First thing I want to learn on the kit is to gravity blast, then I'd really like to learn polyrythms. Anyone know any good instructional videos that teach polyrythms?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:00 am 

greengalvatron wrote:
I got my drum set 3 days ago. I've had this crappy $200 yamaha drum pad thing for awhile. First thing I want to learn on the kit is to gravity blast, then I'd really like to learn polyrythms. Anyone know any good instructional videos that teach polyrythms?

Congratulations on the new kit! :thumbsup:

I don't know of any specific video's, but if you want to find anything, always try YouTube first. There's probably at least one helpful video on there. I know there are heaps about gravity blasting.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:21 am 

greengalvatron wrote:
I got my drum set 3 days ago. I've had this crappy $200 yamaha drum pad thing for awhile.

Lucky, i want a new kit :cry: Anybody got any recommendations for a $1,500-$2,000 drum kit that is durable and will last me a relatively good amount of time? Also, I want a big, beefy, deep sound, so maybe maple?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:50 pm 

Pearl makes some alright maple kits,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... ku=448923X

that's not bad, but I got it for half price, it's lasted me a year and a half so far..

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Thesandman8203
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:54 pm 

Im planning on getting this set pretty soon
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=446741
not maple, and a little under your price but its pearl export, which i currently own and I love the sound of them. Plus its a good deal considering whats included. But if the slipknot aspect is a little much this is the same set http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=447878
but Im goin with the other caus A. its $200 less and B. it has the signature snare which I've heard is a great snare.
I may not love slipknot but Im willing to save a few hundred bucks so their little S can be on a snare.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 pm 

Thesandman8203 wrote:
Im planning on getting this set pretty soon
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=446741

:wtf: :drool: Oh, wow, that looks like a good set. And the reviews for it are very good. Two bass drums are what I want, too, and it seems that kit has it. And the price is unbelievable. $1100 for two bass drums and 3 toms! And two floor toms! Holy fuck, I want that kit! :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 pm 

Yea, that doesn't look bad. Actually not a bad price at all either. I'll keep looking around but thats pretty sweet.

DuellatorMetallum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:24 pm 

what do you think about the Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau drum set?
http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/psm_fro ... ukt=357529

and i'm going to buy tama iron cobra power glide duoble pedal in something like 300$ , it's good price?

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:54 am 

damaramou wrote:
rail wrote:

ACTUALLY the outright standalone GOD of limb independence is Marco Minneman. Nobody beats that machine of a drummer. And buttercup match ftw. What about the best non metal drummers out there? Well Marco Minneman is there too but i saw Dennis Chambers the other night and holy fuck he's amazing. Hes got crazy speed and limb independence. He was having all four limbs do different stuff while doing it ridiculously fast.

Jojo Mayer was doing 4-way before Marco and Lang, it's cool how extreme it's getting now though. My friend went to a Marco clinic and Marco listened to an audio track and played a really complicated polyrhythm to just an audio track and it sounded like a real song.

Marco Minneman and Danny Carey are who I hail as the greatest drummers of all time.

Thomas Lang is nuts too, and he and Mike Mangini are the two best showmen I have ever seen.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:31 pm 

I agree that Danny Carey is crazy too. Heard a drum solo by him it was really quite intense. FUCK I WANTED TO GO TO THE TOOL CONCERT! but it sold out :cry:

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:12 am 

I agree that Danny Carey is crazy too. Heard a drum solo by him it was really quite intense. FUCK I WANTED TO GO TO THE TOOL CONCERT! but it sold out :cry:

From what I've heard Tool concerts are a lot like Pink Floyd concerts but about 15 times more intense.

They change the songs so much they are unrecognizable until you hit the chorus or hear the lyrics.

All the lights are done in time with the music but the sequence is entirely random, no two Tool performances are exactly the same.

HornsOvPazuzu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:32 pm 

Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from
Origin ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Kickass metal drummers? Hmm let's see Dave lombardo (slayer), Pete sandoval (Morbid angel), Hellhammer (Mayhem & Dimmu Borgir session-drums), Nicholas Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir) and many many more

Dan Mullins from Bal Sagoth. Fastest player on th planet. Great kit sound too.

George Kollias from nile..Infernal-Behemoth...Flo from Cryptopsy..Lord Marco..fomr corphagy

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:14 pm 

HornsOvPazuzu wrote:
Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from
Origin ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Kickass metal drummers? Hmm let's see Dave lombardo (slayer), Pete sandoval (Morbid angel), Hellhammer (Mayhem & Dimmu Borgir session-drums), Nicholas Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir) and many many more

Dan Mullins from Bal Sagoth. Fastest player on th planet. Great kit sound too.

George Kollias from nile..Infernal-Behemoth...Flo from Cryptopsy..Lord Marco..fomr corphagy

Actually Mike Mangini and Tim Waterson are the two fastest players on the planet.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:53 am 

I think flo mournier is the fastest at doing intricate patterns and fills though, even if mike mangini can do singles the fastest. Tim waterson is ridiculous too. He just makes George Kollias look bad at double bass (one footed) although im sure George Kollias owns him at anything else.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 am 

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Tim has extremely fast hands and can do interlaced triplets and whatnot, so he might even beat Kolias in the hand department too ;)

About Danny Carey, I do agree that he's a good drummer, but I'd never put him the same league as Mayer (my favourite drummer ever), Donati, Lang or Minneman. I mean yeah he's good and creative but the four I mentioned have incredible, almost flawless technique in every limb, I can't say the same of Carey. I would even go so far as to compare Mayer to Buddy Rich in terms of his flawless hand technique.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 am 

damaramou wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Tim has extremely fast hands and can do interlaced triplets and whatnot, so he might even beat Kolias in the hand department too ;)

About Danny Carey, I do agree that he's a good drummer, but I'd never put him the same league as Mayer (my favourite drummer ever), Donati, Lang or Minneman. I mean yeah he's good and creative but the four I mentioned have incredible, almost flawless technique in every limb, I can't say the same of Carey. I would even go so far as to compare Mayer to Buddy Rich in terms of his flawless hand technique.

The major difference is that Danny is the only one that I mentioned that isn't a soloist, he plays with a band full-time, he has to play for the song, not himself, which puts him in a very different category than Lang, Mayer, or Minneman.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:28 am 

Doesn't really put him into a different category. All the other people have played in bands. Like Minneman plays in necrophagist quite alot, although i do give carey credit because he does play very technical stuff in lots of his songs

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:36 am 

Yeah all the people I mentioned have played in bands and whatnot, it's just that most of the time when you watch them on youtube there doing a solo. So I stand by my point, carey isn't in the same league as the people I mentioned, he is still a very very good drummer and his playing on every tool record ever has been consistently awesome.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 28  Next