Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:18 am 

Very nice, mate. I also have a Pearl kit with 3 toms and a floor tom, but my smallest is a 8", which brings an interesting sound with it. Your snare drum is at a very steep angle, too. I have mine basically completely straight. Do you find that having that at an angle improves your playing?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DysrhythmicVexation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:43 pm 

So. check out how many posts I've made. Woot! Ive been playing on the same set for about three and a half years now and I have to say. Its time for a new one. Im at a skill level where I think I deserve to be playing on something a bit nicer. What I have is small but gets the job done. I have found, playing a few other sets, that I would particularly enjoy having two floor toms and one rack tom. A more classic set up I know, but It just feels right to me. and one bass drum also is ok for be because I see a bit of trouble getting both to sound the same. and I have a double pedal. and 1 single crappy pedal. What I ask of all you metal drummers out there is give me a suggestion of what to look into. Pearl is really sounding appealing at the moment but if anyone knows of any sets that arent too pricey but also sound great. Lemme know. Id appreciate it alot. thank you. \m/

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:06 am 

Pearl, PDP, Mapex, and Tama are all good companies to look into for a mid-price ranged set.

I went Sonor for my 8-piece, Sonor is a little more costly, but is worth it, IMO.

My Last.fm

blastbeatzbaby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:34 am 

im just lookin for some input, whether it be here or there whatever just PM me cuz im not gnna fish thru replies unless its on the reply under the blog itself....

<a href=http://vampirefreaks.com/journal/relish_twist_time>click here to check out my kit.</a>

TheEndComplete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Very nice, mate. I also have a Pearl kit with 3 toms and a floor tom, but my smallest is a 8", which brings an interesting sound with it. Your snare drum is at a very steep angle, too. I have mine basically completely straight. Do you find that having that at an angle improves your playing?

Yeah, it made everything much easier. Never hit the rim, which was a problem when my snare was set up like your's is. Plus, I can now move my snare closer to my toms, the stand doesn't hit my bass drums. It's win/win really.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:05 pm 

TheEndComplete wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Yeah, it made everything much easier. Never hit the rim, which was a problem when my snare was set up like your's is. Plus, I can now move my snare closer to my toms, the stand doesn't hit my bass drums. It's win/win really.

Yeah, I get that problem on occasions, with my snare being straight. However, it's not too often to be annoying (unless I was recording ;)). How are blast beats on an angled snare? Are they easier or harder to do?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

mrmot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 pm 

A Collias is a verry good drummer , i like him and his tehnique ,i learn so much from him

Ciraxos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:23 pm 

Today I'm going to get a double bass pedal. I don't know how much money I'll be able to spend. Just in case I don't have that much money, is this a decent pedal to start with?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percu ... 1428858.gc

mrmot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 pm 

it's sop cheap .in my country double bass pedals are 4 times exepnsive

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 pm 

Ciraxos wrote:
Today I'm going to get a double bass pedal. I don't know how much money I'll be able to spend. Just in case I don't have that much money, is this a decent pedal to start with?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percu ... 1428858.gc

If I were you I would save more money and wait until you can afford a better pair. The first double pedal I got was a cheapo like that and I had non-stop problems with it. Good quality pedals are very helpful in developing good technique.

I bought a pair of Eliminators about 2 years ago and I have never had any problems with them. Probably the best musical investment I have ever made.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:51 pm 

Be warned, if you're a hard hitter, don't be surprised if you have issues with the springs on DW pedals.

I had the spring blow out in 6 months on my old 4002 and replaced it with a much heavier one, the spring has recently blown out on one of my 6 month old DW5000s as well. However, with the replacement springs, the feel of these pedals has really been unmatched by anything I've played outside of Trick.

My Last.fm

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:21 pm 

I just got my Pearl Rack the other day (DR-503)... I love it so far, I've heard people complain about racks being "stiff", but it feels anything other than stiff compared to my old rackless setups. Do most people here use racks, and if so how do you feel about them?

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 pm 

Prominence wrote:
I just got my Pearl Rack the other day (DR-503)... I love it so far, I've heard people complain about racks being "stiff", but it feels anything other than stiff compared to my old rackless setups. Do most people here use racks, and if so how do you feel about them?

I've got a straight bar gibraltar rack thats a few years old. It came with my Pearl Export kit that I bought a few years back. I enjoy having it immensley as it looks badass and makes setup a breeze.

Maybe I'll upload some pics when I get a camera.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 pm 

I just love the rack because I can actually position my toms where I want them to be (3 rack + 1 floor), using tom arms from cymbal stands wasn't cutting it and I was compromising the drum placement.
But yes, the ability to set up and take down exactly as it is is a useful pro of the rack system.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:50 pm 

Definitely saving for a rack for the placement advantages.

My Last.fm

Ciraxos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:53 pm 

Do you guys find it easier to double bass with or without shoes on? I usually wear a light pair of shoes, usually just some of the flat Vans with checker designs.

HomerSimpson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 pm 

never use any shoes, just can't get used to it.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 pm 

converse are supposed to be ideal because they're the most flat, but I've found I prefer some pair of Fallen skatershoes I have laying around.

Dryad_Of_Woods
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 am 

Someone should help me with drum tabs... they confuse the hell out of me.. lol

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:37 pm 

Dryad_Of_Woods wrote:
Assuming I get this right
C = crash
S= snare
B= bass drum
t = tom/rack drum
F = floor tom
H = hi-hat

Dryad_Of_Woods
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:48 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
Dryad_Of_Woods wrote:
Assuming I get this right
C = crash
S= snare
B= bass drum
t = tom/rack drum
F = floor tom
H = hi-hat

What about the "x"s and "o"s? What do those mean? lol

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 pm 

Learn to read music, it's really quite easy (for drums) I learned it in one day the first day I started drumming.

Also, get a metronome to help with your timing. If the tab is in 4/4, four clicks should constitute one bar in the tab.

X's usually imply cymbal hits, where o's are drum hits. In musical notation cymbal notes are marked with an x instead of a round base, where all other notes are written regularly.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm 

Don't forget that x = closed hi-hat, o = open hi-hat.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:42 pm 

Does anyone else here have the problem of getting blisters from playing a long time? I constantly get blisters on my right hand, although my grip is not that tight. Can anyone give me an advice what I could do against that, please?

Wrong.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:19 am 

Prominence wrote:
converse are supposed to be ideal because they're the most flat, but I've found I prefer some pair of Fallen skatershoes I have laying around.

My throwing shoes work well too. They're extremely lightweight and have no tread at all and are completely flat. Horrid to walk in, however.

My Last.fm

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 pm 

oneinfinity wrote:
Does anyone else here have the problem of getting blisters from playing a long time? I constantly get blisters on my right hand, although my grip is not that tight. Can anyone give me an advice what I could do against that, please?

If you get a lot of blisters it means your handling technique is bad. You might be holding them too loose so the stick moves in your hand causing the blisters. Stick holding is a rather personal, you have to do what works for you but getting blisters is a clear sign that it's wrong.

JTRonsteroids
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:37 am 

Helllo everybody. I'm brand new. And this is my first post. I'm a drummer so this thread caught my eye.

My favorite metal drummers are definetly.

Sean Reanart
Gene Hoglan
HellHammer
Tim Yeung
Pete Sandoval
Marco Minnemann

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 pm 

JTRonsteroids wrote:
Helllo everybody. I'm brand new. And this is my first post. I'm a drummer so this thread caught my eye.

My favorite metal drummers are definitely.

Sean Reanart
Gene Hoglan
HellHammer
Tim Yeung
Pete Sandoval
Marco Minnemann

Marco Minnemann blows my mind...his four limb independence is insane. Gene Hoglan has some of the fastest feet in metal, as well as Tim Yeung. Hellhammer is just a classic force on the skins. His work is quite impressive although he gets alot of shit for being in 3,000 bands

warshark
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 pm 

I was wondering if i need to purchase drum mics if i want to play in venues and if they provide them.

discouraged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:47 am 

warshark wrote:
I was wondering if i need to purchase drum mics if i want to play in venues and if they provide them.

I asked my drum teacher this question a while ago, and he said most venues will have them, whereas others will state... bring your own.

But I guess, if you had your own set of mics, you'd rather use them.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:29 pm 

eternal_sin666 wrote:
If you get a lot of blisters it means your handling technique is bad. You might be holding them too loose so the stick moves in your hand causing the blisters. Stick holding is a rather personal, you have to do what works for you but getting blisters is a clear sign that it's wrong.

Actually I'd say if he's getting blisters then he's probably holding the sticks too tightly. I used to get blisters all the time, but then I learned to hold the sticks loosely and use the full rebound of the drum. I haven't gotten a blister since, and have been using the same pair of drumsticks for 2 and a half years despite playing everyday and being a fairly heavy hitter.

oneinfinity, look up the freestroke technique, it should help you get rid of those blisters, and it'll improve your playing a lot. There are a few videos on it here...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drums ... ularo.html

Hxdes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:33 am 

oneinfinity wrote:

Everyone gets blisters. If you don't then maybe you just need to play more! The only solution is to keep going, the skin hardens and forms little areas of dead skin which don't hurt anymore.

Hello to all, I'm new to the whole site, I've been drumming 12 years now.

My favourite drummers in metal are Tomas Haake and Brann Dailor. I don't know if you think these are 'cliche' choices, but they are both brilliant.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 am 

Hxdes wrote:
Everyone gets blisters. If you don't then maybe you just need to play more! The only solution is to keep going, the skin hardens and forms little areas of dead skin which don't hurt anymore.

I hate to be an ass, but you won't get blisters if you spend time learning how to hold the sticks loosely. This isn't just my opinion, it's something that a lot of pro drummers and teachers agree on. If you get blisters, it doesn't mean that your rubbish or you can't play, in fact if you can live with them then it doesn't matter really, but it does mean that there is space to improve on how you hold the drum sticks and how you strike a drum.

Hxdes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 am 

True but if you keep playing, in a bid to play more efficiently, people learn to hold the sticks properly i think. Your hands adjust themselves to avoid the things that hurt and to improve stamina, reduce cramps etc.

Which was why i said to keep playing. Some things have to be innate knowledge that has not been taught through theory I believe. Stick grip is one of those things.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:08 am 

I can grip the stick better with my left hand. I feel like I grip it too tightly on my right, which causes my thumb muscle to tense up and hurt. However, if I loosen the grip a little, the stick flies out of my hand a lot. I can't seem to find the sweet spot in between yet.

Of course, because of this, I blast beat easier and faster, for longer periods, with my left hand, but I'd like to do the same with my right. Spending more time on the kit and just focusing on my right hand technique is the only thing I can do.

On a different note, I'm finding a new spark with my drumming recently. It's less of me having to play, and more wanting to play. I was never going to give it up, but I've rekindled the fire somewhere in me. I hope that remains. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 am 

Although my main instrument is bass, I fucking love playing the drums. I just love the full-on, visceral and primal quality of it. I personally find it a lot more involving than playing bass, where you have to have your playing be channelled through an electric instrument and an electricity-powered amp. There is a certain degree of sepeartion and detachment I feel when I'm playing my bass.

I enjoy using all my limbs with playing drums, because though while I exert much more energy than I would if I was playing bass instead, I feel a stronger connection to the music and end up feeding off its energy a lot more. It's a great feeling. And the fact that drums is much easier to just pick up and start playing and doesn't require one to search up tabs online (usually) is a great plus. :P Pure, raw, visceral satisfaction is probably what I enjoy when it comes to playing drums. Granted, I can't play blastbeats or anything very fast or complicated, it is still fucking fun to drum. Just playing a simple kick-snare-kick-kick-snare beat gives me satisfaction.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:37 am 

Hxdes wrote:
True but if you keep playing, in a bid to play more efficiently, people learn to hold the sticks properly i think. Your hands adjust themselves to avoid the things that hurt and to improve stamina, reduce cramps etc.

Which was why i said to keep playing. Some things have to be innate knowledge that has not been taught through theory I believe. Stick grip is one of those things.

Thats true for some, but not for most. I see so many drummers that are wasting so much energy holding the sticks too tightly, or to far back, or they take there pinky off, or they have weird arm pumping motions going on. If they had taken the time to sit down and learn things properly, they would have been much better off. But whatever works ya know, I just think it's important to get the basics right from the get go, it makes the rest of your time on the drumset much easier.

MikeyC wrote:
I can grip the stick better with my left hand. I feel like I grip it too tightly on my right, which causes my thumb muscle to tense up and hurt. However, if I loosen the grip a little, the stick flies out of my hand a lot. I can't seem to find the sweet spot in between yet.

Sounds like the opposite of me, it's lefty thats the problem with me. Anywho, slow it right down and find the perfect spot, and keep practicing it slowly till you get it. Holding the sticks loosely and accepting rebound doesn't come over night or naturally, most drummers have to sit down and specifically learn how to do it.

Most problems with drumming can be solved by simply slowing down and taking a good look at what your doing, to many drummers rush it, and push the speed to quickly without allowing their body to learn a motion, which usually ends up causing problems further down the line.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 pm 

damaramou wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Sounds like the opposite of me, it's lefty thats the problem with me. Anywho, slow it right down and find the perfect spot, and keep practicing it slowly till you get it. Holding the sticks loosely and accepting rebound doesn't come over night or naturally, most drummers have to sit down and specifically learn how to do it.

Most problems with drumming can be solved by simply slowing down and taking a good look at what your doing, to many drummers rush it, and push the speed to quickly without allowing their body to learn a motion, which usually ends up causing problems further down the line.

Oh, absolutely. I'm aware of the problem, so that's at least realising that there actually is a problem. With time, I'll get better technique. Oh, and I am actually left handed, so that's more than likely the reason why my left hand is more relaxed. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:55 am 

Most problems with drumming can be solved by simply slowing down and taking a good look at what your doing, to many drummers rush it, and push the speed to quickly without allowing their body to learn a motion, which usually ends up causing problems further down the line.[/quote]

True. By the time I had practiced double bass for maybe half a year, I tried to rush my speed with the flatfoot technique from around 150 bpm maximum up to 200 and I totally lost my double bass coordination, my maximum speed dropped by maybe 20 bpm, I couldn't keep a steady db beat without getting faster for longer than a minute and had to re-learn how to play triplets.

Wrong.

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:56 pm 

Ok, I'm in a band where I play lead drums and soloing guitar, and our band was only playing instrumenuals. Then we decided to have one of us do vocals, and it turns out I have the best vocal range out of us. I don't mind being also vocalist, but I have a few concerns, like wouldn't the drums typically overpower the vocals? Any and all advice will be great. Thanks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next