Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 am 

I really want to be able to do whammy bar (tremolo bar) solos and licks like what is heard on the following albums:

Persecution Mania by Sodom
Black Metal by Venom
Slaughter the Weak by Jungle Rot
Realm of Chaos by Bolt Thrower
Severed Survival by Autopsy
Pleasure to Kill by Kreator
Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel
From Beyond by Massacre
Evil Invaders by Razor
Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
Reign in Blood by Slayer

What guitar should I get that has a good whammy bar on it for the kind of music I described above? What are the good brands of guitars with good whammy bars that I should be searching for?

Based purely on aesthetics, I would want a BC Rich Mockingbird with a whammy bar: https://www.long-mcquade.com/files/83082/lg_d07b931763f2a2ea20837e79f1e03fc4.jpg . But other than me thinking it looks cool, would getting one really be a wise purchase? Or are all the big name brand guitars with whammy bars all essentially the same?

I'm generally also long overdue for a guitar upgrade as I have been using a Epiphone SG for the past 11 years. So what in general would be a good upgrade for my new guitar? What kind of pickups should I get? I like to play a style of guitar playing combining black/death/thrash metal with some melodic elements (I'm not too sure if a black metaller would have a different guitar preference versus say a death metaller). By the way, I already have a Vox VT 40+ amp. And lastly, my budget is about $1,000-$2,000. I've gotten really serious with my music over the last 3-4 years so I really want something of professional level of quality.

Reply to topic