Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
taito
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:11 pm 

Hello,
I'ma young metalhead, who is in a search for a band. I don't find a lot of metalheads around me, but I want to make up a band. I play alto saxophone (I know not really a metal instrument, but I love the sound, I've been playing it for about 7 years now, and have finished Music school with it). I want to find members (drummer, bass, guitar, singer) to play with me. I am from Slovenia and really I don't know where else I can share this things. I used, twitter, Metal Mansion etc but noone even shared it. I don't want to use facebook, bc my parents can see it and it's a little bit embarassing (because they don't like metal). I don't know what can I do. There are not a lot of metal gigs around here so it's kinda hard.

Please share your thoughts

Insin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 am 

I'd recommend Craigslist or Bandmix, I don't know how popular those are where you live though. You might have better luck joining an existing band than making one from scratch but it'll definitely still be rough considering your instrument. Maybe consider learning a more typical metal instrument as well.

Good luck

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:31 pm 

There's a musician seeks musician here on the forum as well. Its a sub-forum within this musician sections. You may find someone there as well but what you're looking for is very specific. A metal band with a saxophone is very rare. A metal band with a saxophone from Slovenia is even rarer.

Atomization - Doom (Funeral Doom Metal)

taito
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 am 

@Woutjinho
@Insin
thank you, yes I know it's pretty rare, and I try to teach myself guitar, but it would be a waste to get away from sax, because im playing it for 7 years.

taito
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm 

Insin wrote:
I'd recommend Craigslist or Bandmix, I don't know how popular those are where you live though. You might have better luck joining an existing band than making one from scratch but it'll definitely still be rough considering your instrument. Maybe consider learning a more typical metal instrument as well.

Good luck

Well I went to see those two.... Bandmix is just for USA, so I cannot use it and Craiglist doesnt allow me to search for Slovenian band members..... I try to teach myself guitar, but I love the sound of sax. I know it will be hard and it's rare to have sax in metal, but there are few metal bands with sax... like I really love the sound. most of existing bands around my town are old guys ( i mean 40+) so I need to find someone quite young. Thanks for help though

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am 

Social media in general is your friend here. If you're worried about parents try proxy servers or something? Failing that you could try old school and go to some gigs and meet people. I'm in the same situation at the minute as I want to pull together a black metal project and I'm trying to recruit the right people for it. Difficult job but rewarding when you get it mate! Nothing compares to being in a rock n roll band my dude.

Ferneyhough
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm 

Alto Saxophone? Very rare. Well. I can help you. I started to rehearse my very first grindcore project.

But it much better If you know Avant-garde Jazz - grindcore, your instrument is perfect choice.

Aldrahn333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm 

Aborym - Psychogrotesque has some really beautiful saxophone lines here and there.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:48 am 

Do you live in an area that has metal concerts or a local metal scene? Going to shows, watching bands and introducing yourself to the band members and making friends is the best way. Also visit guitar stores, introduce yourself to the employees, put up flyers if they allow that sort of thing. Give yourself a fake name and go on Facebook, there are probably groups centred around heavy metal in your local region.

CosmicChrisTV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:49 pm 

craigslist will get your throat craig-slit
i reccomend going to local concerts and socializing
maybe even joining a school band (if you're still in school)
https://dankophiliac.bandcamp.com/
Goregrind
https://lacerationlord.bandcamp.com/
Comedy/Music-Related Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNVh-I ... t81UFLE7bA

yzzo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 am 

Quote:
craigslist will get your throat craig-slit

good one. But if you're careful, and ask smart questions when on the phone when you are setting things up initially, then Craigslist could work. But you definitely have to be careful.
Also, you can try the free papers that are usually in the front of stores in the local scene you want band members from. I know there aren't a lot of newspapers any more, but they still have those circulars, and coupon papers and so forth. Sometimes those still have classified sections. I know my town still has one.

Reply to topic