Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:15 pm 

i can change pitch i cant get i to siren though heres a video of wat im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwIBqruSIbc

listen to how the pitch goes up and down fast when its in the high pitched "mode"

demiphoenix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:02 pm 

Sorry for being a dipshit and not reading all seven pages, but i'm pressed for time right now.

Another friend taught me death vocals which I suck at. I assume that comes with practice. Does anyone have any tips on black vocals? (starting from scratch) that's what I really want to do. I'd love to have a ... Thyrfing sound I guess you'd say. anyway

any help is apreciated. thank you

Fear_Shining_Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:54 pm 

I'm in a Death/Folk Metal band, and I do the Death vocals.

I can do great mid pitched growls, hardcore shouts, grunts, low pitched roars, raspy growls, low pitched, crunchy singing, and decent inhaled growls at very low pitches, but I can't get a pig squeal off for shit. When I try I end up coughing and having to burp really hard. I suppose I'll just have to keep practicing until I can pull it off.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could recommend any techniques to try other than those already listed in how to do this, as we're now trying to throw in some grind influences and my fellow band mates want me to try and develop some squeals. Sadly, it's the only thing I've never really been able to do.

In any case, still, ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Emperor_Of_Ice
Butterfly Sister Marjoram

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:43 pm 

Fear_Shining_Yrael wrote:
I'm in a Death/Folk Metal band, and I do the Death vocals.

I can do great mid pitched growls, hardcore shouts, grunts, low pitched roars, raspy growls, low pitched, crunchy singing, and decent inhaled growls at very low pitches, but I can't get a pig squeal off for shit. When I try I end up coughing and having to burp really hard. I suppose I'll just have to keep practicing until I can pull it off.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could recommend any techniques to try other than those already listed in how to do this, as we're now trying to throw in some grind influences and my fellow band mates want me to try and develop some squeals. Sadly, it's the only thing I've never really been able to do.

In any case, still, ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check page 5, Noktorn explains the squeals there.

Speaking of which, I've been toying around with inhaled vocals all week, singing along to everything (inhaled or not, harsh or not) with harsh inhaled vocals. Anyway, they've begun to hurt my throat a little. The wierd thing though, is that they only hurt while I'm doing them. They stop hurting as soon as I stop doing them. And my voice remains the same. I can still singalong to Maiden and Priest and whatnot, still send out some death and black vocals, but those need lots of practice. Anyway, it never use to hurt, so I just thought this was kinda odd... :scratch:

Also: One of my favorite ways to practice is singing along to Sound of Perseverance. It's got that harsh sound and a wide range which is what I'm aiming to practice. Anyway, methinks I'm doing something wrong, because I noticed that it is veeeeeeeery tiring. After 2 or 3 songs, I'm totally beat to hell. Maybe I'm putting too much into it or just not breathing properly, but it is exhausting. Tips?

Fear_Shining_Yrael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:02 pm 

I'm finally able to get some squealage going on up in dis bitch. Thanks for alerting me to Noktorn's post. Really helped a lot.

Also, sorry, but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with Sound of Perseverance... That's a Death album, right?

I'm quite familiar with Chuck's work, though... and I'm afraid I can't do that style of vocals. Sincerely sorry I couldn't offer any help.

Burnt_Loveletters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:35 pm 

I do low/gothic male vocals. examples of my vocal styles are The 69 Eyes, Crystal Crow, Beseech, or Lacrimas Profundere vocals.

I'm really looking and hoping to make a band someday, but so far all I can do is do my own solo vocals, since nobody in my area has the patience or dedication to. :P

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:47 pm 

I'm not exactly the most informed in what I do, but I need some help.

I am a tenor in my high school's choral ensemble. I'm not bad either (sorry, I'm not intending to gloat). I'm currently forming a band with a few buddies around town. I have one dilemma. I don't know what vocals with the band I intend to form will work. I'm aiming in the direction of hardcore vocals like Municipal Waste (pardon me if I make a mistake on labeling vocals incorrectly), but I'm worried that I'll ruin my voice.

I need advice...what would be the best kind of vocals for me? I know, I'll have to figure it out on my own, but do any of you have an idea where I can go?

Burnt_Loveletters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:36 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

I am a tenor in my high school's choral ensemble. I'm not bad either (sorry, I'm not intending to gloat). I'm currently forming a band with a few buddies around town. I have one dilemma. I don't know what vocals with the band I intend to form will work. I'm aiming in the direction of hardcore vocals like Municipal Waste (pardon me if I make a mistake on labeling vocals incorrectly), but I'm worried that I'll ruin my voice.

I need advice...what would be the best kind of vocals for me? I know, I'll have to figure it out on my own, but do any of you have an idea where I can go?

well, what is the genre you're playing?
If it is gothic, hardcore would not fit,
power, hardcore wouldn't fit,
etc.
It really depends on the genre of the band.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:57 pm 

It's in the range of Crossover Thrash, like S.O.D., Municipal Waste (I just mentioned them), Suicidal Tendencies, and Slayer of course.

I really want to know if I'll ruin my voice or not (I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure).

Burnt_Loveletters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:03 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
It's in the range of Crossover Thrash, like S.O.D., Municipal Waste (I just mentioned them), Suicidal Tendencies, and Slayer of course.

I really want to know if I'll ruin my voice or not (I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure).

Hmm...
I doubt you will, unless you do it too much in one day.
That lemon stuff (I forgot what it's called) helps a LOT as well.

I think you should go with the low pitched growling voice, personally.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:54 pm 

http://thehellpatrol.googlepages.com/De ... kness3.mp3

Me singing and playing guitar on the Black Metal song. Recorded during rehearsal with my band. Any comments on my vocal performance ?

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

the vox in MW are pretty safe to do its just a not so loud yell really. but if you plan on singing in you choir i wouldnt do screams or grolws, its hard to damage your voice but they ussually always change the way your voice sounds or the way you change notes in clean vocals. im not sure if inhales are ad for you uif your into them....

Wilkins
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:23 pm 

For inhaling vocals... I have discovered that you put your mouth closer to the microphone. When you do the inhaling vocals it is usually more quiet than exhaled vocals... So put the mouth closer to the mic.

For death metal vocals. No tension in the throat WHATSOEVER... this is what Crimson Thorn vocalist.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:11 am 

What about black metal vocals though?
As far as I understand, they are just high pitched death vocals.
I mean, the basic technique of open throat + diaphragm applies there too?

I can do that, but it sounds like crap (doesn't hurt though).
I guess more practice is needed.

satyroz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:44 am 

My growling vocal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iTWDjld2c

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:50 am 

Nice black metal voice, m8 :)

Aeolus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:50 pm 

satyroz wrote:
That somehow gave me the image of a corpsepainted kid raping a random tree while doing that voice.

Interesting.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:44 am 

Lol, raping trees is totally grim, m8 :)

Anyway, can someone clear things up about BM vocals??

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:40 pm 

For me Bm vocals don't use the throat as much, it's just the phlegm at the back of my mouth (if that makes sense). And BM vocals don't hurt, which is awesome.
I can do a generic Bm vocal, a late-era Maniac style vocal and am trying some of the stuff Atilla does on Ordo Ad Chao (great album vocally). I don't know if I'm any good though as I've never recorded myself before.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 am 

The beginning of the song "Medusa's Coil" by Stormlord...
http://uploadhut.com/view.php/534265.mp3

Any tips except "Practice, you noob!" would be greatly welcomed.

satyroz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:19 am 

SpiralLoiter wrote:

Great screaming voice. Good luck.

Cravinov13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:47 am 

My harsh vocals are pretty rash and in your face when I'm screaming. I also growl like Glen Benton of Deicide. I can do many things with my harsh voice like rap growl (not Slipknot style), sort of a punkish sing/ scream (like new Dillinger Escape Plan), and a blistering black metal shriek (I say blistering cause it stil hurts when I do it).

I also clean sing like Warrel Dane of Nevermore. o_O

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm 

satyroz wrote:
SpiralLoiter wrote:

Why, thank you :)
Still waiting for tips/advices...

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:09 pm 

satyroz wrote:

thats tight. i can do those but i cant keep it as steady as you can. but thats the same thing you do the high pitched death metal vox like in black dahlia murder but you push harder in case sombody ditnt know.

satyroz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:39 am 

SpiralLoiter wrote:
satyroz wrote:
SpiralLoiter wrote:

Why, thank you :)
Still waiting for tips/advices...

I'm learning English now, that's speaking problem. Sorry

Gagnraad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:37 pm 

Well, I started my vocal "career" when I joined a choir at the age of 7.

When I were 15 (Or something...) I began doing screams for a band. More an BM-approach to my type of screams at that time, later I began to evolve my vocals to growls, and then to learn how to do a high-pitched scream (Hypocrisy-style) etc. So I control most types of screams and growls after many years of singing. I also do clean (Remember, I used to be in a choir, maybe embarassing for a metalhead, but atleast I learned to sing, which helped my alot to learn growls and screams).

Since I've been smoking since I were like 8 years old, my vocals have a rough edge to them, and I usually loose my breath easily, therefore I have to warm up before I sing. I used to start singing right away...

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:57 am 

I want to recommend this nice site I found to upload mp3s :)
Very fast downloads too.
Anyway, uploaded both of my recordings (trying to do both low and high there).
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=159681
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=159813

Osgilliath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 am 

SpiralLoiter wrote:
I want to recommend this nice site I found to upload mp3s :)
Very fast downloads too.
Anyway, uploaded both of my recordings (trying to do both low and high there).
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=159681
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=159813

Very nice songs, it's too bad the recording quality of the vocals themselves is pretty bad, it takes away from the music.

Also, you might want to work on your transitions from BM vocals to growls, it's too abrupt.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:14 pm 

"Very nice songs, it's too bad the recording quality of the vocals themselves is pretty bad, it takes away from the music. "

I know, using a cheap PC microphone :(
If I get spare cash, I'll but a good mic...

"Also, you might want to work on your transitions from BM vocals to growls, it's too abrupt." Right, I will. Thanks :)

My latest "release" :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sj6xhEgqH0

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:42 pm 

www.myspace.com/peopletoburn

This is my band. We recently got a new song up on myspace, called "Quiet Paintings Walk". I'm responsible for the majority of the vocals on this track, actually everything except the inhaled pig squeals and a couple of lines that the guitarist recorded.
Would love to hear your opinion on the song, the vocals or anything else you'd rather comment about.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 am 

Not my style of music at all, but nice brutal vocals!

OnlyAshRemains
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 am 

sounds pretty kickass overall; I especially like the deep vocals you can actually understand (about halfway into the song " Quiet Paintings Walk") but all the growls throughout sound good

Any tips for how to get that low growl? (any of the ones in the song) 'cause you seem to know what you're doing and I've really been looking to increase my range. So far, all I'm able to do is high and mid screams, but at least they sound decent. When I get the chance, I plan to put some examples on here for any advice I can get.

\m/

OnlyAshRemains
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:01 am 

Emperor_Of_Ice wrote:

Speaking of which, I've been toying around with inhaled vocals all week, singing along to everything (inhaled or not, harsh or not) with harsh inhaled vocals. Anyway, they've begun to hurt my throat a little. The wierd thing though, is that they only hurt while I'm doing them. They stop hurting as soon as I stop doing them. And my voice remains the same. I can still singalong to Maiden and Priest and whatnot, still send out some death and black vocals, but those need lots of practice. Anyway, it never use to hurt, so I just thought this was kinda odd... :scratch:

Also: One of my favorite ways to practice is singing along to Sound of Perseverance. It's got that harsh sound and a wide range which is what I'm aiming to practice. Anyway, methinks I'm doing something wrong, because I noticed that it is veeeeeeeery tiring. After 2 or 3 songs, I'm totally beat to hell. Maybe I'm putting too much into it or just not breathing properly, but it is exhausting. Tips?

Well what I do know is that longterm, inhales are going to do the most damge to your throat EVEN IF you're careful. What your throat has to do to make the sound, gradually hurts your voice. Just spend like a day in between your practices to rest from doing inhales.

As for endurance, taking in deep but short breathes everytime you breathe is the more effective way to take a breath without taking in too much air. As stupid as it sounds, it's actually not as good to take in a HUGE breath, 'cause if you have TOO much air in your lungs, you end up letting it out too fast and dont last that long.

Also, if you don't already know what 'dump' is, it's a good technique to use. Y'know when you take a shit, that weird "pushing down" feeling you get near your ass, if you get your muscles to push down like that, it helps with support while you growl/scream (not with inhales though.) Try making an "sss" sound and slowly get louder, you should feel that "dump sensation."

That's just the stuff I've learned over the years, hope it helps

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 am 

OnlyAshRemains wrote:
sounds pretty kickass overall; I especially like the deep vocals you can actually understand (about halfway into the song " Quiet Paintings Walk") but all the growls throughout sound good

Any tips for how to get that low growl? (any of the ones in the song) 'cause you seem to know what you're doing and I've really been looking to increase my range. So far, all I'm able to do is high and mid screams, but at least they sound decent. When I get the chance, I plan to put some examples on here for any advice I can get.

\m/

The one's in the middle of the song (during the slow push) are inhaled growls by the guitarist, I've no idea how he does that...
If you mean the ones at round 0:50, all I do is close my mouth to a tiny circle and lift the tongue to touch the top of my mouth when I growl. If you plan on doing that I'd recommend working 'dry' before trying to do it, meaning you don't actually growl, you just let a tiny bit of air out as if you were whispering. This way you can practice pronouncation (sp?). Since you practically close your mouth almost entirely, and you already use your tongue for tone purposes, you need to get used to pronounce words using your lips only. And also learn to use your tongue to help creating different sounds - like if you say a word that ends with a 'y' sound, you might want to release your tongue just a bit, and it'll create an 'aee' sound, which will help you do things more easily.

OnlyAshRemains
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:31 pm 

hmm, thats interesting. I'll work at it, see if I can't get some progress on it; thanks alot for the tips. :metal:

'Cause for the longest time, I've known the tips for improving a low growl, but I've had a hard time finding one in the first place, that doesnt hurt after a few minutes

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 am 

I've been practicing growls for like a year now and it still hurts from time to time. When I do mid-range growls for a long time it always hurts me. I think it has to do with my range - since my normal voice is pretty low to begin with, it's not surprising that my growl range is limited to low growls as well...

crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:07 am 

OnlyAshRemains wrote:
Emperor_Of_Ice wrote:

Well what I do know is that longterm, inhales are going to do the most damge to your throat EVEN IF you're careful. What your throat has to do to make the sound, gradually hurts your voice. Just spend like a day in between your practices to rest from doing inhales.

As for endurance, taking in deep but short breathes everytime you breathe is the more effective way to take a breath without taking in too much air. As stupid as it sounds, it's actually not as good to take in a HUGE breath, 'cause if you have TOO much air in your lungs, you end up letting it out too fast and dont last that long.

Also, if you don't already know what 'dump' is, it's a good technique to use. Y'know when you take a shit, that weird "pushing down" feeling you get near your ass, if you get your muscles to push down like that, it helps with support while you growl/scream (not with inhales though.) Try making an "sss" sound and slowly get louder, you should feel that "dump sensation."

That's just the stuff I've learned over the years, hope it helps

dude inhales are the safest for you trust me. i dont see how some people say inhales are bad for you when they dont hurt and afterwards you speak normally, with high screams your voice may crack afterwards and they hurt if you do them for a while. also when you inhale air isnt going into your lungs at all....

Burnett
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 pm 

I've been singing in a band called Sovereign for a few monhts now - I can do a pretty mighty Ripper Owens-esque wail, and my clean vocals sound a bit like Hansi Kursch piled in with elements of Br00ce, Martin Walkyier (Later material) and Eric Adams.

I can't scream or do guttural for shit though, any pointers? :p

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:24 pm 

Burnett wrote:
I've been singing in a band called Sovereign for a few monhts now - I can do a pretty mighty Ripper Owens-esque wail, and my clean vocals sound a bit like Hansi Kursch piled in with elements of Br00ce, Martin Walkyier (Later material) and Eric Adams.

I can't scream or do guttural for shit though, any pointers? :p

Well I hate to say it but I suggest browsing through other posts on this thread, Its been discussed alot...

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:12 am 

Hey all

I'm doing video on youtube on metal vocalists and how to do it and I'd love some help from the community with it.

First thing first - could I get some help with a comprehensive list of all the styles of metal screaming and singing, with a [famous] example artist who uses the style. I'll start:

Death Scream (Chuck Schuldiner, Death)
Brutal Death (Karl Sanders, Nile)
Pig Squeals (unfamiliar with artists)
Burping (Antti Boman, Demilich)
Thrash Scream (Tom Araya, Slayer)
Clean Singing (Ozzy Osbounre, Black Sabbath)
etc, etc.

Thanks all for your help.

cheers,
--N

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next