Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:00 am 

Tried to scream... recorded with a home microphone.
Tell me what you think :P

http://helios.frihost.net/Other/spiral_scream_try.wav

Last edited by SpiralLoiter on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:04 pm 

It sounds like the mic was a bit too close. From what I can hear, it sounds like your screaming as loud as possible. [Which is not good if you plan on doing an entire song] It could be useful if you can maintain that for long period of time and control it. Was there a particular style you were going for? Otherwise good effort, id say try doing that with some music to test it out. Also, wait for more comments to see what other people have to say. (Correct) Practice makes perfect.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:56 am 

It wasn't an effort doing that, and it just came out loud.
The mic was about 30cm away... but hey, it's still a cheap home mic :P
I shall keep practicing! :hail:

Emprica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:37 pm 

singer in my band Emprica is by no means a brilliant screamer but he drank some olive oil before he did the screamy bits in the song Elimination of the Mind www.myspace.com/emprica it kind of lubricates your throat and has now helped him since then to do more gargly, roars! haha...if you drink to much it makes you shit like a bastard!

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:40 am 

Lol, sounds logical, I'll try that :)
I've got plenty of olive oil anyway...

~Guest 23534
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:59 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 23534 on Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
crustcorestenchhead9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 pm 

ViolentIllusion wrote:
You should check out the Zen Of Screaming by Melissa Cross. There's one scene that's completely handling about warming up.

i hear that dvd is not worth 20 bucks. i wish sombody who acctually has it would type up some of the tips. especcially the one how to grwl longer and build up your lung compacity or watever it is, i need help rite there.

DonaldTrump
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:59 pm 

crustcorestenchhead9 wrote:
i hear that dvd is not worth 20 bucks. i wish sombody who acctually has it would type up some of the tips. especcially the one how to grwl longer and build up your lung compacity or watever it is, i need help rite there.

Let me tell you, I've seen the dvd, it sucks. I pity the fools who actually paid for it. It's like a very long TV advertisement. All you get is a bunch of mallcore faggots raving on about how awesome she is, when she can't even scream - let alone grunt - herself. Trust me, you're better off simply practicing more. It works for me.

DeathSpectre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:51 pm 

I was practicing growling a few days ago. Next day, I could barely speak. Is that normal?

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:56 am 

That isn't normal at all.
When I reached the "growling tune" for the first time, my throat was a bit sore, nothing more...
Don't stretch your throat, stretch your diaphragm :P

DeathSpectre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:36 pm 

Um, turned out it had nothing to do with the growling. It was a coincidence. I actually got an infection that's been going around. A lot of people lost their voice in school these past few days.

SpiralLoiter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:26 pm 

Had that too actually, few months ago ;)

danieljohnpaul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:38 am 

growling n stuff is fine with me but can anyone sing high notes like axl rose did

DOANE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:48 am 

Last edited by DOANE on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ViolentIllusion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:11 am 

The zen of screaming doesn't teach you to growl ( at least only the very very basics ), but teaches you how to warm up and growl without damaging your throat. She can growl :D But she can't scream. I don't believe you can learn to grunt. You have to figure out a way on your own. Like I did. Everybody has a own style. If you really need a little thing to start you should check this out : http://www.xscenesterx.org/Tony_Bullard ... torial.mp3
Good luck

danieljohnpaul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:58 pm 

DOANE wrote:
NEW RAW BM BAND SEEKS VOCALIST
Must Be:

White
Male(or a really angry woman :) )
18+

Must Not Be:

Homosexual
Goth
Non-White
Leftist (or other whiny humanist type)

Must Have:

Own Lyrics
Own Recording Capabilities
REFERENCES(other band/sample track/etc.)

Must Not Have:

Shitty lyrics about Satan, Booze and/or Dope
Shitty other band(s)

===================

Here's the deal. I've got a short demo recorded and I would like a vocalist. It's raw BM which is musically in the vein of artists such as Branikald, Striborg, Abyssic Hate etc.

The project is named KHRONOZ.

If you are interested, please contact me via PM or e-mail:

[email protected]

why do u want a white singer only!!! dont u know brown skinned people r more frustrated that u whites !!!!

Emprica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:36 pm 

danieljohnpaul wrote:
DOANE wrote:
NEW RAW BM BAND SEEKS VOCALIST
Must Be:

White
Male(or a really angry woman :) )
18+

Must Not Be:

Homosexual
Goth
Non-White
Leftist (or other whiny humanist type)

Must Have:

Own Lyrics
Own Recording Capabilities
REFERENCES(other band/sample track/etc.)

Must Not Have:

Shitty lyrics about Satan, Booze and/or Dope
Shitty other band(s)

===================

Here's the deal. I've got a short demo recorded and I would like a vocalist. It's raw BM which is musically in the vein of artists such as Branikald, Striborg, Abyssic Hate etc.

The project is named KHRONOZ.

If you are interested, please contact me via PM or e-mail:

[email protected]

why do u want a white singer only!!! dont u know brown skinned people r more frustrated that u whites !!!!

I'm thinking this is a joke maybe?

danieljohnpaul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:50 am 

not really , but when i was reffering to brown skinned i meant Indians , but even otherwise !!!

Emprica
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 pm 

no mate, i was reffering to the post you replied to. the post above. the call for a new aryan singer.

Frantic_Master
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:35 pm 

Well I recorded some vocals over the intro to Death Squad by Sacred Reich. This is not my usual style, that would be thrash. It is short and recorded through a poor quality computer mic.

http://www.myspace.com/direshaman

This summer I will have real stuff up once our band can get some rehearsal space and our guitarist moves to Waco. The lyrics are a piece of a song I had written.

Also disregard the portion after the long low growl, after that I was fucking around and for some reason the program didn't cut that portion off. And the page looks like shit, this I know.

Anyway what do yall think?

DOANE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:58 am 

Frantic_Master wrote:
Well I recorded some vocals over the intro to Death Squad by Sacred Reich. This is not my usual style, that would be thrash. It is short and recorded through a poor quality computer mic.

http://www.myspace.com/direshaman

This summer I will have real stuff up once our band can get some rehearsal space and our guitarist moves to Waco. The lyrics are a piece of a song I had written.

Also disregard the portion after the long low growl, after that I was fucking around and for some reason the program didn't cut that portion off. And the page looks like shit, this I know.

Anyway what do yall think?
Not bad at all. the only 'problem' would be the production, which is not even a problem(for me at least).
The clean part at the end was 'funny'.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:59 pm 

Anyone got any good tips about rapid singing? I've got to nail a cover for Cannibal Corpse's Unleashing The Bloodthirsty, but I just cant sing that fast.

DOANE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:24 pm 

SCMugen wrote:
Anyone got any good tips about rapid singing? I've got to nail a cover for Cannibal Corpse's Unleashing The Bloodthirsty, but I just cant sing that fast.
Does your rabbi approve of you singing songs about something so vile and repulsuve....oh wait, that's right, it's Judaism. It's already full of vile and repulsuve teachings.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 pm 

HAHAHA, nice one boyo. I've had enough fun with you, now move on and shut up unless you have some serious advices to share.

DOANE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:36 pm 

SCMugen wrote:
HAHAHA, nice one boyo. I've had enough fun with you, now move on and shut up unless you have some serious advices to share.
I wonder what kind of pitch and tones you can get when you're getting circumcized?

Feel like sharing for our readers?

I mean, most of us we're snipped when we were babies...but you.......you were 13. You must remember, and if you forget just ask all of your family and friends. They watched, didn't they? I'm sure they did, that's how those things work.

Damn, that must be embarassing. I mean being jewish, not that whole "your friends all seen your pecker get cut up" thingy.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:46 pm 

Oh christ you're an idiot.

Sclera
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:00 am 

Yeah, seriously, fuck off.

DOANE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:33 am 

Stop crying, it's a metal forum....it was a serious question. Is it my fault he's ashamed to be jewish?(which I could understand; I'd hate to be a jew)

I wonder if he live in occupied land....oh wait, ALL OF ISRAEL IS OCCUPIED LAND!

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:01 am 

Oh come on, you got so offended by the couple of jokes I played on you on that other thread? YOU should stop crying.

pwd666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:23 am 

A while ago I said I was going to try and make a hiss\pop filter out of coathanger and pantyhose...Well I was at a music store and just deicided to buy one. It does a decent job it cost me around $30 CAN. I still encourage someone to try making their own.

SCMugen wrote:

Well Ill be honest I haven’t really tried, but I think fully memorizing the lyrics would help a lot as opposed to glancing at a sheet/screen. Also, don't change pitch too often if you’re trying to go fast. Those are only some suggestions that I haven't tried, but it may help.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am 

Have you got some tips on memorizing lyrics as well? that'd help a bunch.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:02 pm 

DOANE wrote:
Stop crying, it's a metal forum....it was a serious question. Is it my fault he's ashamed to be jewish?(which I could understand; I'd hate to be a jew)

I wonder if he live in occupied land....oh wait, ALL OF ISRAEL IS OCCUPIED LAND!

What Sclera said.

I do sing, although not in a band. Mostly I sing along to stuff I like. As far as types of vocals go, I can do an okay Rob Halford imitation, but not with any stamina at all. The other type of vocals I do is a kind of "light" growl, somewhere halfway in between Lemmy and Paul Di'Anno. I've been experimenting with some screaming, but that's really not my type of stuff.
I was brought up on classic and hard rock, so screaming/death growl vocals have never been my thing.
I didn't think that this thread would be a bunch of guys discussing growling techniques...:thumbsdown:

I don't know if I can give you any tips on memorizing lyrics... It's something that comes naturally to me.

Last edited by PriestofSadWings on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frantic_Master
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:26 am 

Well though I do some lower stuff I enjoy the cleaner and higher stuff even more most times. Dio is my idol I must say. I like to do all sorts of vocals, from lower ones to mid range thrash up to as high as my vocals chords allow me. It is good to be diverse. I tend to stick mid range overall, using the extremes as punctuation.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:43 pm 

Here are links to two different "attempts" at guttural/harsh vocals, i don't practice and this is pretty much the first time i tried to make a decent recording, i know i'm to close to the mic at times so their is distortion, shitty mic anyways. Yes i am a foot away from the mic i'm just loud at times. Anyways here are the link's lol. Tell me what you think.

Alright just posted them on http://www.myspace.com/shatteredethics109 check em out.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:37 pm 

Your high screams on Vigil sounds great, though other parts are a bit rubbish. I dont know if it's the recording but your attempts at low, more guttural vocals just sounds like you're talking in the low range and not really like you're doing a grunt.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:20 am 

Thanks man i always disliked my highs and preferred the mid range i wasn't really going for ultra guttural cause blythe isn't exactly a "death" vocalist, i did do some lower death grunts on Valhall in the second half, lol i know they need work, but i prefer to enunciate my words as much as i possibly can, that's probably why it's coming off like talking at times. i can death grunt with no words guess ill just have to work on it with words. Thanks

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:04 am 

About words in death grunts... Lots of the vocalists I've heard, atleast when playing live, dont actually pronounce the full words of everything. They just make an grunt and pronounce maybe the second half of the word. You just need to make it sound convincing in a way. On record it's another deal, since you can try it until you nail it perfectly, you can even have a hundred takes if you need it.
One tip for making vocal covers... Dont try to sound like the original singer. Use your own style. If you try to imitate the singer perfectly, you'll spend half of your effort just on nailing the right tone and sound like him, and you wont have enough energy to keep up with it. I just sing, even if my vocals sound a bit different than the original, or if my vocal lines arent really like the original...

Frantic_Master
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:57 am 

I reccomend turning the recording volume on the mic down or backing off somehwhat, I cannot even hear the music in the background. Remember that though vocals are often in the forefront, that singing too loud can ruin a song.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:14 pm 

Yea i agree with you sc i wasn't really trying to sound like him more using it as a guideline. As for your comment master the mic is down low the reason you can't hear the background music is because you aren't technically supposed to it was just what was picked up by the microphone as i was doing it with my speakers at a medium volume it's not like i tried to place my vocals over the track, it was simply a test to get some opinions on what needs work with my vocals whats good/preferred etc. thanks for your input though, but yea I'm aware of the distortion, i need to get a professional mic the one I'm using is only a sony usb and it doesn't pick up low tones very well I've noticed, so it tend to ruin guttural vocals to a point of sheer brutality.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:16 pm 

Now that i think of it i could probably layer my vocals overtop of the originals using acid pro, i'll try it and see what it sounds like if i like it i'll post in on the myspace page, i'll post an update on the forum if i do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next