Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
skibolky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 pm 

well, i got the vsts to load finally but i'm still a newb when it comes to this. (tone sounds shitty) the interface i'm using just records the direct guitar signal on itself so i have to open up the wav file in reaper rather than just recording directly through the daw. i'm just gonna spring for a focusrite scarlet 2i2 when i have the money and possibly amplitube. in the mean time i'm gonna try to download ezdrummer and get familiar with it

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:01 pm 

I would certainly recommend Overloud's TH2 over Amplitude (which is certainly one of the better amp sims). TH2 sounds fucking fantastic, especially for metal tones.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

skibolky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:13 am 

a friend of mine let me borrow his line 6 ux2 which comes with a pod farm liscense. He's also setting up my 7 string for me tomorrow. but now i need a 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch headphone adapter which i will be picking up tomorrow at samash. http://www.facebook.com/horizonsfadingnc here's my project facebook page if anyone would like it that'd be much appreciated.

B502
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:49 pm 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:
I would certainly recommend Overloud's TH2 over Amplitude (which is certainly one of the better amp sims). TH2 sounds fucking fantastic, especially for metal tones.

Bias is even batter. You can get an almost real tone off it.

TheMausoleumHorde
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:23 pm 

So my band and I recorded our demo and now that we've kinda taken a break are looking to do our full length. So basically I got a few questions on how I can improve this shit. What mics should I use for drums overheads and bass guitar? I feel like I couldn't get a good bass sound and drum sound without really tweaking and adding a ton of shit on the eq and effects. I feel like mic choice really kept the sound back here. Also the guitar tone is nice and clear but I feel like it's kinda lacking heaviness. I got two shure 57 now instead of one and was kinda told using both in tandem really adds power to the sound. I was also told pillowing in the mics too keep the tone in helps. Any suggestions? Our demo is here if you want to throw some sound suggestions our way.https://themausoleum.bandcamp.com/releases

WolvesPaintedRed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm 

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect thread.

When I mic acoustic drums I always run into the issue of the drummer not being able to hear the tempo click track. In Cubase it seems that turning up the click's volume is of no use. The only solution for this issue has been to use noise cancelling headphones to drown out any outside sound. Could anyone recommend to me any solutions?

CorpseFister
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

If he's using noise cancelling head phones to hear the click track you can feed some of the mic volumes into the headphones as well, right? Then you'd just need to find the right balance between monitoring so the drummer can hear what he's playing in the headphones, and the click.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:19 am 

Sup guys. I was just looking for some advice on recording some demo tracks. I haven't recorded for years and have forgot most of what I know. I have downloaded audacity for recording because it is simple and easy to use from memory, but I'm looking for a cheap mic and bass/drum programming software as I only play guitar. I don't need good quality as I just want to make rough demos. If I could get some recomendations that would be great, it would be good to get someone to critique my mixing as well when I get it all recorded.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4