Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:45 pm 

The Crate amps like the VH140c are the GX130c, GX1600, and the GX600. I have the GX130c and the GX600. my 130 kinda sounds like frrt honestly. The 600 sounds monsterous. I paid 40 bucks for each of those heads.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am 

And there you go.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:21 pm 

Got a new recording interface, an extra SM57, and some extra mic cables for Christmas. I'll definitely be able to record and mix more efficiently now, and I'm very excited about that. Now I just need another 4x12...SLK, what cab of yours do you usually pair with those VH/SS series amps? I was gonna pick up a 1960B cab, but was wondering if there are other options that will give me good sound.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:46 pm 

Finished making all the artwork for the physical copies of my Devourer CD, and put the option to buy physical CDs on bandcamp. WOoooo. Now time to lay down the drums to one final goregrind song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:16 pm 

I pair my Ampegs up with Krank Krankenstein cabs and vintage Kustom 215's or vintage Fender Bassman 215's.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:47 pm 

Not been doing shit cuz im on holiday in Europe. Cant wait to get back and rip on the goddamn sixstrings, I switched to D standard tuning for one of my secondary guitars, refreshing to finally get back to standard tuning after years of exclusive drop C.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:59 pm 

I have a guitar in D, one in C, one in Bb, and one in drop G. I also have a Warmoth flying V that I'm trying to figure out what to do with, it's in D I think. Mildly considering getting a baritone neck for it. And then a 4 string bass in C and a 5 string bass that fluctuates between Bb and A. I find it interesting that B is probably the most common tuning for death metal and I have no guitars in that tuning. Once my figured maple gets here in the mail I'll be building a guitar for A tuning and other various super low tunings. I also kinda want to build a travel guitar, shorter scale (probably just gibson scale) and just enough body to hold basic electronics. Something I can throw in a suitcase.

Submitted my Devourer album to a couple labels, mailed off a couple copies for review, and ordered some copies for myself. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'll find something. Maybe I'll pass them out at a local metal show or something. I'm hesitant to give them to my local metal record shop, because it's more of a black/death kind of store, and I think my Devourer album may be a bit too polished to fit in there. But oh well, I'm happy with it and that's all that really matters.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 pm 

I only tuned to B for one song thus far. I don't keep a guitar tuned to it normally. If I'm going that low i just go to A instead.

all that ever matters is that you are happy with it. I just mailed out a shit ton of orders for albums today. I'm just glad to get them out. i need to restock.

I'm on the final stages of this Yzord album. mainly adjusting toms right now. I'll have that wrapped tonight. Also spent a ton of time on the rough and pre-work on the Dragunov/KP split. the KP ep, and the Shokushu Goukan split.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:50 pm 

I'm considering ordering about 100 copies of my Devourer album in jackets, basically the cheapest route possible, for handing out and promotion and stuff. Just to get it out there. I dunno. It's a thought.

Spent the past hour or so reading up on music promotion. I really need to get more into the local metal scene and meet some people instead of being a hermit all the time. Then I'll be rich and famous.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:53 pm 

I'm a hermit and I sell my stuff. But like I said I don't know how. I'm assuming it's just based on the quality of it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:03 am 

I just need to make some connections. Even internet connections, I'm not in many places online. And other than here, the few places I am online aren't around metalheads. I'm slowly getting there.

Tomorrow I get to pick my car up from the collision repair place. Yay. After that I need to retrack guitars for one song for the grind split and then finish the lyrics/vocals and I'll be done with that. Then I guess I'll get back to work on my stoner project, and trying to write some BDM songs. SLK, I need to send you the few BDM ideas I have.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:13 am 

I also still want to do something completely non-metal, maybe some light bluesy rock or something. I may try to noodle out a riff or two tomorrow. Maybe I'll do some kind of light bluesy rock, but tuned way down so it has a darker sound. Who knows.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:13 am 

and likewise. I have a few but I wanted to put these splits out of the way as far as recording. hopefully I can get something to tape tmwr. I have a nephew who is coming over tmwr to experience some gear overload. And I got my Kustom 215 in today which was DOA so instead of returning it I'm opting to drive it an hour to the closest guitar center and have them repair it and I get some money back on the cab cause i do want it but not for what I paid now. Also got my traynor cab in today but haven't gotten to try that out yet.

Rattus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:03 am 

Going to go back to vocal lessons because I neglected singing for some time, and I'd rather not try to join any local bands while being a bit rusty. And when I have the money and time, I want to learn drums. I'll force my friend to teach me. :D

Also considering going back to Arabic and classical music a bit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:45 am 

Alright, gonna finalize some mixes and record some vocals today and get that stuff out of the way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 am 

listening through my Yzord album. I think I'm going to turn the guitars up a hair. right now everything is balanced nicely but I think they should be a tad louder. hopefully this won't fuck it all up. haha.

also been working on Dragunov's side of this split. about half way through the 20 songs.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:51 am 

I'm putting the breaking wheel mixes onto a CD so I can check them on a couple different systems, but they sound fantastic. Really happy with them.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am 

^ Pretty nice sound on BW!!
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:32 pm 

Thanks!

So I just returned my rental car, and I had burned the almost-final mix of breaking wheel onto a CD to double check the sounds. I forgot to listen to it on the way there, so as their driver was driving me back I popped it in, since he said he didn't mind metal. He was probably about 18-19 and he actually drove the speed limit and used his blinkers, so probably a good kid. I explained to him that it was a collaboration between me and a buddy and he thought it was really cool. He said "it kinda has that job for a cowboy sound to it, I like it". I guess to 18 year olds these days, job for a cowboy is heavy stuff. I was tempted to put in a cattle decapitation CD I had on hand for him, but I just said thanks. And all that being said, the kick is too loud on one song and the snare too quiet on another, so time to fix that and then it should be done. Then I'll finally get around to finishing my goregrind. I wonder how disgustingly gory and vile I should get with the lyrics. Hmmm.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:02 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I pair my Ampegs up with Krank Krankenstein cabs and vintage Kustom 215's or vintage Fender Bassman 215's.

Interesting. My plan was to get a 4x12 with something like v30s in it, and swap two of those speakers out with two of the Eminence Swamp Thangs I have. I'm going to try to find a cheap 4x12 around town, and if I don't have any luck I may shoot for another Avatar cab.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:06 pm 

If you're going to swap speakers, you may want to check eBay. I've found ridiculously cheap prices on 4X12s on there with either shit speakers or no speakers, shipping included. Also good call on doing 2 V30s and 2 something else, a lot of people do that and are really happy with the results.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm 

Finalized the breaking wheel mixes and finish all the songs for my goregrind split. I may take a short break now and watch some richard dawkins show or something. Then it's music time again.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 pm 

Alrighty, it's time to write some brutal death metal!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:54 pm 

Thanks SweetSilence, I still have to finish reviewing the rest of the songs on the black metal challenge.

An ice storm came through here on the 21st and I just got power back tonight, YES!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm 

DO EEEETTT!!!!!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:13 pm 

Next time I find one available to play, I want to try out a crate blue voodoo. I've heard mixed things about them, but they're all tube, high gain, and mustaine used them for a while. Plus they tend to be absolutely dirt cheap for a tube amp. I figure they're worth a shot. There was a 120W one at my local guitar center for like $250 not too long ago.

This guy's shitty deathcore playing may suck, but I'm digging the guitar tone. I think I may try to pick up a blue voodoo. If nothing else, I want some more options with guitar tones, for my different projects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYT6tth0dxA

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:17 am 

InThyKingdom wrote:
^ Pretty nice sound on BW!!

Surprised you would like it since it's my drumming and not with a metronome.

Also infinite.. goddamn fucking no. Don't bother with the Blue Voodoo. it's garbage. I used to own one. And out of all my gear I've had... i rarely ever get rid of anything or without getting something worth a fuck... yea I was more than happy to be rid of it.

And truthfully Ampeg SS's sound great on anything just about. I've even made it sound great on a shit ass beringer cab... something I had picked up for cheap and then resold when I realized how fucking shitty it was. I say go with that get the V30's and swamp things.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:38 am 

Wow, it's that bad? What was so bad about the blue voodoo?

I second the Ampeg SS thing. I'm a tube guy, and I'm very impressed with my Ampeg 140C's sound. I'll be using it for my next doom album, and I just used it (through a vintage 30) for my goregrind stuff.

Strongly considering heading over to home depot today and picking up some plywood and foam and building another isolation cab. I just found a design and a video on youtube of one that's essentially a box within a box and it really cuts all the noise down impressively. Plus I would like to have two cabs to record through, for more sound options, as I'm not always a fan of the vintage 30 and I'd like a cab with an old AlNiCo speaker in it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:36 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
And truthfully Ampeg SS's sound great on anything just about. I've even made it sound great on a shit ass beringer cab... something I had picked up for cheap and then resold when I realized how fucking shitty it was. I say go with that get the V30's and swamp things.

Ah, good to know. Thanks man!

Regarding the Crate Blue Voodoo, I think it was more of a QC issue with the plant they were made at because I've played a few that sounded just fine, but I've also played a few that were absolute garbage as far as tube amps go. Granted, the ones that sounded good needed a noise gate, EQ, and a boost of some sort, but they handled it all well and sounded pretty good. The bad ones I played seemed to have no life to them whatsoever, as though it was a cheap Line 6 solid state amp masquerading as a tube amp. They didn't take pedals very well, and seemed to sound WORSE whenever you cranked them. In the same price range, I would try to find a used Peavey XXX or Windsor.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:47 pm 

Trying to adjust my tone atm, got the mids up pretty high along with the treble and the bass is at around 10 o clock.

Thing is it sounds really crunchy and nice, which begs the question; how do some bands like Marduk and DMDS-era Mayhem get that sort of metallic, not so crunchy distorted sound? I know Morgan Håkansson in Marduk uses the same pedal as me but he uses a Marshall amp and a Boss NS-2. Maybe I am being vague here but compare Serpent Sermon's tone to Deathcrush's tone and maybe you'll get what I mean. :P

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:54 pm 

I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the second and third wave bands from Scandinavia cranked the presence knob on whatever amp they were using, but then again I think a lot of that sound comes from the actual recording too...not quite sure to be honest.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

Kinda hard to tell with a lot of black metal, because the recordings are so raw.

Bought a ton of plywood and stuff today, and decided to build another isolation cab after seeing a nice one online yesterday. I'm basically building an isolation cabinet and then putting it inside another cabinet, and putting insulation between them so vibrations don't transfer. Not sure which speaker I'll use yet; it'll depend on how soundproof it turns out. If it's so-so then I'll use an old alnico speaker from the 60s. If it really blocks a lot of sound, then I'll get some badass speaker with a huge magnet and crank whatever amp is going through there. Also got another mic boom stand, and I'm going to experiment with using 2 mics on a drum set. I've gotten some decent sounds so far, but I'd like a bit more focus on the snare.

And now to write some music!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:02 pm 

Dragunov pretty much hit the nail on the head of why they are so shit. Just overall a pile of shit.

Hung out with my friend all day and we decided to record a doom track it's 9 mins long I'm going to retrack my guitar cause I don't like how it came off and I have another friend doing vocals.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:09 pm 

Ah, well duly noted. Once I finish my second isolation cab I think my need for an amp will go down, since having two recording cabs instead of one effectively doubles my available tones. I'm really tempted to use an old alnico speaker from the 60s in this cab, but their power handling is so low, I think I'll just try to buy a modern alnico speaker from weber, something that can handle a few watts without dying. Also, if you crank the really old speakers, they get pretty shrill on the high end, and I don't want anything sounding too piercing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:37 pm 

shrill and piercing is perfect if you are going to do some jangly screamo/indie rock.

you'll soon turn into me wanting more gear for more tones at my finger tips. The main thing I'm annoyed with was I tried recording 2 guitar tracks at once. meaning 2 separate cabs... basically me and my friend playing at the same time. But that crashed out my computer. but mainly cause I was using my randall RG300 and fender bassman 412. It seems there is something with how bassy it is or how much power where it's vibrating something that actually just shuts the computer down or freezes it or something I don't know. I'll figure it out later.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:52 pm 

Yeah I just want some options for different tones. You have plenty hahaha. Right now I have 4 amps (peavey 6505+, ampeg ss140c, peavey VTM-60, and my 2 watt firefly), 1 isolation cab, and a 2X12 and a 1X15 cab with old alnico speakers in them. And a 4X8 cab that I built for a mini half stack for my firefly, just for shits and giggles, but I never use it. It looks cool with the little firefly on top, like a mini half stack, but it's pretty much a waste of money. I should look into more old peavey amps, they're all made in USA and built like tanks it seems. My VTM-60 is an absolute gold mine of 80s metal tone, there's gotta be some more hidden gems out there.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:00 pm 

@Shaolin I said I liked the sound. Had doubts that you played the stuff because your fills are recognizable. Same with the ending times on it. Except that, yup I liked the sound of the drums in the final mix - sounds natural and fits the guitar tone pretty well imo.
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm 

My figured maple really needs to get here, because I'm majorly fiending for a new guitar. I do have a nice pickup leftover from my scrapped les paul, so I guess I could throw that in my pine SG, since that seriously needs a new pickup. Problem, solution!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:11 pm 

You are that readily knowledgable about my work? If you really did then you would've noticed I change the style of what I play drumwise to what project I'm working on.

I have one old Peavy cab. it's great and it really is built like they planned on you dropping it from a 3 story building and then plugging up to play on it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:16 pm 

Please, if you two are going to start bickering at each other again, take it to PM or something, and don't fuck up this thread.

Old peavey stuff, and at least their mid to higher end stuff, all seems to be made in USA and at very high quality. I would love to find another crazy good deal like my VTM-60 (which was like $120 with new JJ tubes), maybe some raunchy old solid state amp or something. Just something with a different sound. Oh speaking of solid state, so I found that if you take the SS140C and cut the mids all the way and run it through old speakers it sounds sooooo much like old Pantera. Like blatantly.

And on the topic of finding old hidden gems, Crate has a good amount of amp heads that are ridiculously cheap on eBay and other places, the problem is so many of their old amps sound like absolute shit. I find myself wishing I had kept my Engl E530, because it had such a unique tone. Also, I found a les paul kit on eBay, $120 for a mahogany les paul with a spalted maple top. I may just search for a reason to buy it, because I really want another les paul and I've been wanting to try out those cheap kits for a while.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 185  Next