Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm 

I would listen to some grindcore first. Seems like you were playing death metal with some weird dissonant parts. Use the reccomendation thread if you have any questions about it. The more grind the better!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:53 pm 

Check out Nasum's album Helvete. It's excellent grindcore.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:13 pm 

Yea what you did wasn't all that bad but it's that typical sounds that is 'metal dudes playing grindcore without knowning what grindocre actually is' but it was better than I was anticipating. it's closer to deathgrind type material.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 pm 

With the risk of sounding uninitiated, what would you guys define as grindcore? To me it is just a powerchord-driven mix between hardcore punk and death metal, but I basically listen to 2 or 3 grindcore bands altogether so what do I know....

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:50 pm 

For me it's a lot of blast beats, fast tempos, aggressive riffs, and short songs.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:01 pm 

Well my nice pretty blue les paul I made is no more. When I installed the neck it was slightly too far out, so the intonation was off. So I detached the neck and routed the neck pocket back a bit. The routing template wouldn't fit on there with the carved top and all, so I had to free hand it. I did a fine job routing, except I then installed the neck too far back. I could adjust the bridge back enough to get the intonation in line, but then the bridge was too far away from the pickup and it sounded bad. So I'm taking it all apart and throwing away the body. I guess tomorrow I'll try to pick up some materials to build another one. All part of a learning experience.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:00 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
it's that typical sounds that is 'metal dudes playing grindcore without knowning what grindocre actually is'

You hit the nail on the head there. I'm going to head over to the grind rec thread and I'll definitely listen to that Nasum album, thanks!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 pm 

Celtic you are kinda there in the most basic of ways. it stems from punk and hardcore more than anything. doesn't have to be power chord driven but that's usually the best kind.

Just just run though that thread and pick out anything that doesn't have ass or shitting in the name and you should be good. Unless it's Arsedestroyer. That band is fucking amazing. And at least their thing isn't about shitting it's about gay sex.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:50 pm 

Been working on some new, weird, sci-fi Death Metal shit with keyboards. Still not entirely sure how I feel about it though. Only got 1 song finished anyways, since she's flying in tomorrow and we're leaving on the 25th.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 am 

Cool deal!

and infinite about Sunn... if you aren't going to run a half rig don't bother. You'll blow the speaker. The ones we are talking about are 200w solid states.

There are some sunn combo amps but honestly I can't see you getting a lot of use out of it.

Lord Rot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:08 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on lyrics and vocal parts for new Pandemonic songs (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=102700) while I'm away doing seasonal work on an orchard. As soon as I'm done we're going to record a demo and then maybe even a split with another local band. I've also been playing a few gigs with folk/punk band Whiskey and the Wench, I'm playing the grill with a pair of spoons, pretty badass.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:02 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Celtic you are kinda there in the most basic of ways. it stems from punk and hardcore more than anything. doesn't have to be power chord driven but that's usually the best kind.

Just just run though that thread and pick out anything that doesn't have ass or shitting in the name and you should be good. Unless it's Arsedestroyer. That band is fucking amazing. And at least their thing isn't about shitting it's about gay sex.

ANAL ASS SHITTING

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:19 am 

Heading over to a lumber store to pick up some mahogany to build another les paul, and a huge slab of corned beef to cook to celebrate HumanLight. Happy HumanLight errbody! (because fuck xmas, that's why!)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:41 pm 

This weekend's been a great weekend for reviews of my bands' albums. The new Sorrowseed album got both a 75 (from autothrall, whose opinion I tend to weigh greater than some others) and a 90, and the Blacksoul Seraphim album got an 80, also from autothrall. Both reviews of Sorrowseed had almost completely positive things to say about my drumming, with the latter calling it "flawless". Plus I got complimented by Jack Blackburn from Vital Remains on it. Always nice to hear very positive feedback like that.

--

While I wait for my car to get fixed, I'm taking the time between Christmas shopping runs to write more Blacksoul drums. I've also got a session for a King Diamond worship project called Doctor Dementia that Josh was commissioned to rework into much more professional sounding recordings. Once the car's fixed/replaced, I'm going into the studio in mid-to-late January to track all that plus the black metal side thing Josh and I are doing.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

I need to get some of my stuff reviewed in a major way. Subrick, speaking of Vital Remains, my wife went to high school with their bass player and they were good friends growing up.

Picked up a nice slab of mahogany to build another guitar out of. I think I have enough for 2. Now I just need to locate some figured maple in the appropriate size for the top and I'll get to work. Instead of building another les paul I think I'm going to base this one on my old destroyer, a 1984 DT250. I've been wanting to replace that guitar so I can put it away in a case and age gracefully, since it was my first guitar. I don't want to put any more wear on it. It's going to take a lot of work building a guitar that sounds better than it does though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:49 pm 

Their current bass player or one of the numerous bass players they have had?

Went and recorded after working out. got 15 Kamikaze Pilots songs done for a split and 2 more Corpse Arise songs.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:57 pm 

Gator, their current one.

I celebrated HumanLight by going wine tasting, which is pretty much my favorite thing to do. Unfortunately I was with my wife, which kinda ruined it, but whatever.

I believe I have enough mahogany for two guitars, so I'm definitely going to make a star shaped one and who knows what the second one will be. Possibly another les paul, unless I have enough left over for a larger one. Unfortunately I got zero done today musically, but I'll make up for it tomorrow.

edit: I may make the second guitar a les paul with a buckeye burl top. I always loved the look of that stuff. Who knows.

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:29 pm 

My guitarist made us a video! It's got gutterals and blasts and slams and silly lyrics. :hyper:

And we're talking to some label people -- maybe we don't have to print the thing ourselves!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 pm 

Also, I'm considering just paying someone for music promotion. I hate that shit and I never ever do it, and therefore my music goes absolutely nowhere. I just need to figure out which music to promote, which is best. My doom band has gotten the best reviews, but I think my gothenburg style melodeath might be the best for actually promoting. I dunno.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
This weekend's been a great weekend for reviews of my bands' albums. The new Sorrowseed album got both a 75 (from autothrall, whose opinion I tend to weigh greater than some others) and a 90, and the Blacksoul Seraphim album got an 80, also from autothrall. Both reviews of Sorrowseed had almost completely positive things to say about my drumming, with the latter calling it "flawless". Plus I got complimented by Jack Blackburn from Vital Remains on it. Always nice to hear very positive feedback like that.

--

While I wait for my car to get fixed, I'm taking the time between Christmas shopping runs to write more Blacksoul drums. I've also got a session for a King Diamond worship project called Doctor Dementia that Josh was commissioned to rework into much more professional sounding recordings. Once the car's fixed/replaced, I'm going into the studio in mid-to-late January to track all that plus the black metal side thing Josh and I are doing.

Well, shit, I will say that I read through the new Sorrowseed album's lyrics and I think they're pretty cool. I'm glad your musical endeavors are going well, m8.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

If you think it's worth it to you then do so. I just don't put that into and I wouldn't pay someone to do it cause that's money away from releasing something new. Somehow people just happen across my stuff pretty regularly I don't know. I guess word of mouth maybe?

Oh also picked up that Sunn Concert Lead sounds great. And the guy said the cut was cut and would have to get it replaced. it's actually just the outer casing that's cut. So nothing electrical tape won't fix. but I do want to get the cord replaced so it's one with a ground on it.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:04 am 

Jammed a side project with the drummer and bass player. Gonna be raw. Unfortunately my input got fucked up again. Might need to take it to a professional or keep a soldering iron at our practice space at all times.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:51 am 

Just kind of wrote a song, though I'm sure it is piss, considering I've only played for 4 months or so...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32 am 

Just picked up a nice big flamed maple board from eBay for the top of my next guitar project. I'm going to have to make sure I take my time with this one and do it right and not rush anything. Now I just have to decide on what pickup to use. Something high output, obviously. I was thinking maybe a seymour duncan super distortion. I dunno.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 am 

Finished enough songs for a Devourer full length. Now I just need to write lyrics, finish recording the vocals, maybe add a guitar solo or two, polish up the mix, find some artwork, and I'll be ready to release it. I should be able to do all that today, so yay.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

Guess I'll probably be about the only one posting the next day or so, since I don't celebrate xmas. Hahaha. It'll be like a conversation with myself.

Finished writing all the lyrics for my devourer album, recorded all the vocals, and now I'm redoing the vocals on the first song I wrote, since I don't want any clean vocals in the chorus anymore. Just gotta get them so I like them. So basically all I have to do now is get some cover art and this album will be ready for release.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 pm 

Still working on the song I was going to submit for the black metal challenge. I have the main guitar part completely written out and I've been practicing one riff in particular a lot, as well as tightening up the whole song in general since I haven't truly "practiced" guitar in a looooong time, mostly just fucking around. I really made sure every chord had every note exactly the way I wanted it and now I'm working on a second guitar part for it just so that it has more harmonies and stuff, got the idea after listening to the Dodecahedron album a million times and I noticed that each speaker is basically different guitar part but one that compliments the other very well. Have a few ideas for bass, just restrung it as well. The only bass amp I have is a shitty Crate practice amp but I'm getting some good tones out of it which is satisfying, can't decide if for guitar I'm going to use my amp's (Crate 120 combo) high gain or just the overdrive. I really like how on Paracletus the guitar tone isn't really that heavy at all, but the distorted bass really gives a kick to it and I think I might do that. I'm gonna record a few scratch tracks with guitar and bass and add the drum machine just to hear it a little. I don't know for sure yet if I want to go for more of a traditional black metal mix akin to Diabolus Absconditus or as clean as possible, although I think I'm probably going to go with the latter since the drum software I have sounds fucking incredible and I really wouldn't know how to make it sound gritty. Thought about just putting a mic up to my speakers and playing it back but then I realized it may be really hard to mix like that. I've decided I'm going to make it a three part "concept" album based on my own "insanity." I have all of these awesome ideas but I can never bring myself to actually go through with shit unlike my other band, which has someone else to tell me to hurry the fuck up and get shit done. I guess the only part I don't truly enjoy is click click click click on the drums, which I'd rather just record myself, but it sounds much better this way and I can program completely ludicrous fills that would take me forever to get down. Well that was a huge wall of text.

I've still only listened to a few songs from the challenge and I've been meaning to review it but I'll say that SLK, Clogged Urethra, and shibby really cleaned house on this one.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:33 pm 

Got a Metal Zone for Jul from my parents, and a good tuner. That will make the changing of strings a lot easier.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:07 pm 

Having some wine and watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Always a nice relaxing enjoyable way to spend some time. Before I go to sleep tonight I'll go over my goregrind and try to touch up the mix a bit, especially the drums, and maybe write some lyrics. Tomorrow I'll record vocals for it and finish it up, and finalize the breaking wheel mixes, then move on to my next project, which will probably be my stoner project. If I'm feeling not inspired for that, then I'll try to write some brutal death metal.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:42 pm 

Devourer album is done, and I got the cover art. Just gotta put the logo on and tweak it and I'll release everything.

retracked the guitars on 4 songs for my stoner project. I need to finish writing some of those songs, gonna try that this evening as well as think of a logo. Not sure how to do a logo for a stoner band, but I'll figure it out.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:54 pm 

Shit, and I have to think of an album name. I hate that.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:35 pm 

What do you guys think I should get for a good second amp? I want a solid state one, preferably a Peavey. Wattage doesn't matter much to me (just over 20 at least), everything under 300 dollars works. Looking at a Peavey Bandit 112. Any tips?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:57 pm 

I would say look for a used SS150 or VH140, by Ampeg. They're excellent amps and sometimes you can find them dirt cheap. If you look around you can usually find a Peavey VTM-60 or VTM-120 for dirt cheap, and although they're a tube amp, they're built like tanks and sound excellent. I got mine for about $120 with new tubes. And crate makes an inexpensive version of the SS150, I can't remember the model right now but SLK knows it and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:27 pm 

Alright, I was primarily into solid states because of the whole tube-changing hassle. How often do you need to change em and how much of a task is it? If you don't mind me asking :P

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:19 pm 

It's very easy to do, although it can get pricey with high-wattage amps using a ton of tubes. They're just in sockets, you very gently wiggle them while pulling and they come out, just like a plug in a wall, and you push the new ones in. For an amp like my Firefly, which just uses a couple preamp tubes, it would cost me probably 20 bucks at the absolute most to change them. For my 6505+ it would probably be 120-140 to change them all at once. For a ballpark figure, power amp tubes are often roughly 25 bucks and preamp tubes about 7-8 each. How often they need to be changed depends on how hard you push them and how often you play. I use my 6505 for studio stuff only, and the master volume pretty much stays at about 3. And while that's plenty loud, it's not pushing the power tubes that much. At this rate I'll probably have to change the tubes in about 3-4 years, maybe 5. Now if I played it all the time and really cranked it, i.e., a touring band playing 3-4 concerts a week, then you may have to change the tubes every year or two. When I bought my VTM-60 it just had new tubes installed. I treat it the same way and play it less, so I'll probably change the tubes in a decade. So tubes aren't a hassle unless A) your amp has a ton of them and uses a rare kind, or B) you play daily with your master volume cranked.

I definitely understand what you mean though. You also have to wait for tube amps to warm up. It doesn't take long, but you turn them on, leaving them in standby for like a minute, then flip the standby switch to on, and you're ready to go. With a solid state amp you just turn on and play and it lasts for years and years, although after a couple decades sometimes you may need new capacitors, but that's any amp.

Overall I would say just search for great deals on amps and don't be afraid of tubes.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:24 pm 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALBUM IS OUT!

Finally finished it. Early Gothenburg-styled melodic death metal, all lyrics from H.P. Lovecraft stories and poems. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
http://devourerinthemist.bandcamp.com/a ... he-shadows

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:19 pm 

That's fucking sweet, love that guitar tone especially. What is your rig? By the way thanks for the info! Somehow my reply to that disappeared. weird...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:38 pm 

That tone is a LeGion by Poulin plugins. It's essentially a digital copy of a 5150. I went with a VST for this album because I wanted things as spotless as possible, and because I'm switching around amps a lot lately and with the VST I can keep the same tone for the whole album easily. And thanks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:27 pm 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
What do you guys think I should get for a good second amp? I want a solid state one, preferably a Peavey. Wattage doesn't matter much to me (just over 20 at least), everything under 300 dollars works. Looking at a Peavey Bandit 112. Any tips?

You can probably get a Peavey 2x12 for that price range. I have a Peavey Transtube 2x12 that I got for $200 I think. This guy:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-TRANSTUBE-TRANSFORMER-212-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-109048051-i3161188.gc

Puts 130 watts through the two 12" speakers, but it also puts 140 watts to the cab output. I have mine sitting on top of a Carvin 4x12" to make basically a 1.5 stack. The distortion sounds pretty good but the clean channel also sounds fantastic if you wanna build your tone via pedals or whatever.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:59 pm 

Well today was a nice productive day. Hopefully I can keep it up tomorrow and the next day. Gonna finalize my breaking wheel mixes tomorrow and try to finish my goregrind stuff for the split tomorrow also. Shouldn't be too hard. Then I'll finish a stoner song or two if I can, and onto some brutal death metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 185  Next