Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:32 am 

Gah I hate writing lyrics. Never can get any good ideas flowing.

I hardly ever care about lyrics in most bands I listen to anyway, which probably doesn't help when it comes to trying to write some that aren't complete garbage.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm 

We made the art for the new Sorrowseed album public today. I've got it in spoiler tags below because the image itself is so big, and there's some details in there that would just not be there if I shrunk down the image.

Spoiler: show

In the same press release we also set a release date (October 31st), made the track list public, and announced the guest guitar soloists. The big one out of the four guests is Andy LaRocque from King Diamond. He laid down a nearly one minute long solo for the song "The Sepulcher Legionnaires". It's one of my personal favorite moments on the entire record.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:58 pm 

Woah, Andy LaRocque? :eek:

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:40 pm 

Severely jealous that you got a chance to watch that dude play guitar in a more personal setting.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:24 pm 

Andy LaRocque, Jesus fucking Christ!!! You are a lucky goddamn sonofabitch my friend, and a minute long solo!

I hate sounding like a fanboy nowadays but fucking hell dude that is ten kinds of awesome.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm 

somefella wrote:
Sell me something! Any fixed bridge guitars you aren't using no mo?

Sorry I ain't. And actually most of my guitars aren't fixed bridge. I don't have problems with tremlos like a bunch of you crybabies do.

Very cool Subrick about Andy guesting on your album. I'll listen to his solo on that song cause I really ain't a fan of anything your band has done at all.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:46 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Woah, Andy LaRocque? :eek:

Yes, Andy LaRocque.

Dragunov wrote:
Severely jealous that you got a chance to watch that dude play guitar in a more personal setting.

We actually never met in person. He did his solo in his studio in Sweden and then emailed it to me. I was the liaison between him and the rest of the band though, as I initiated the discussions and did all the talking with him, so that was pretty cool.

somefella wrote:
Andy LaRocque, Jesus fucking Christ!!! You are a lucky goddamn sonofabitch my friend, and a minute long solo!

I hate sounding like a fanboy nowadays but fucking hell dude that is ten kinds of awesome.

You aren't the only one who went into fanboy mode upon reading it. Our artist lost his mind when I told him that Andy did a guest spot for us.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Very cool Subrick about Andy guesting on your album. I'll listen to his solo on that song cause I really ain't a fan of anything your band has done at all.

Well at least you're honest. :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 pm 

Yea have never hid my feelings and thoughts before. why start? I know I've said at best I didn't care for it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:04 am 

I know. I'm perfectly fine with you not being a fan of my band. Plenty of people aren't.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVf9fBBi-aM

Practicing to this video. I think we all get complacent once in a while and work more on songs than on chops, which is fine of course, but for those of us on a quest to continually improve as a musician, practicing to get chops up should never be neglected. If Chris Broderick Or Jeff Loomis still practice for hours every day, who's to say they're good enough not to?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm 

awww I was hoping this was the video you posted of yourself playing Iced Earth that was so cute.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm 

I did post several videos of that in this thread I think, quite some time back when I first recorded them on the day I bought that guitar AND SERIOUSLY THATS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

I don't have problems with tremlos like a bunch of you crybabies do.

My tears can't lubricate the fulcrum points on those stupid tremolos. Fixed bridges fo life.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:11 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

I don't have problems with tremlos like a bunch of you crybabies do.

My tears can't lubricate the fulcrum points on those stupid tremolos. Fixed bridges fo life.

4 lyfe indeed.

Actually I just like fixed bridges because I don't do any of that divebomb stuff at all, so might as well just get the more convenient option.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:43 am 

It's funny for life.

I don't even use my tremlos. It just happens to be what came up used and cheap.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 pm 

I'm the same way, I never use them so I prefer fixed bridges. That being said, the first couple guitars I built I installed tremolos on, because I like the way they look. hahaha.

After playing it and dicking around with it for a few days, I'm not happy with how my pine SG sounds. I'm also not happy with the strings, I like light top/heavy bottom sets but on these (DR strings) the low 3 are too heavy and the g string is too light. I'm gonna have to put together my own custom set from singles, apparently. Nothing wrong with that.

I think I'm going to start looking for one of the old lawsuit les paul copies for my doom/super low tuning guitar. I've been wanting one for a while and that's a perfect excuse.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 pm 

I don't use mine any more either, so I put a piece of wood behind it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:20 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YzI3sd2WA

Decisions, decisions...

Oh, those are Duncan playtest videos. Ola's playing style is more similar to mine so it's a slightly better reference but his sound has always been a tad muddy for some reason :P

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:05 am 

Confirmed a couple of gigs with the blackthrash band. One is next April, opening for Lobotomized. The other is in November, where we're opening for Holocaust. So that's going to be pretty fun.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 am 

I'm in the process of writing drum and guitar parts for an EP I'm going to release by the end of the year. It'll be my first official release of any music ever and I'm working very hard on it to insure it sounds the best it possibly can.

It's going to be a mix of a lot of different styles. black/thrash, primitive first wave black metal, some second wave/melodic tremolopicking riffs (but very sparingly with these), sludge/doom, funeral doom, death metal, 80s metal in general, psychedelic rock, Black Sabbath, and this mixed with the aesthetic of OM. But more pagan.

I have a bandcamp page setup but the only thing on there now is a riff demo I made last spring.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I'm in the process of writing drum and guitar parts for an EP I'm going to release by the end of the year. It'll be my first official release of any music ever and I'm working very hard on it to insure it sounds the best it possibly can.

It's going to be a mix of a lot of different styles. black/thrash, primitive first wave black metal, some second wave/melodic tremolopicking riffs (but very sparingly with these), sludge/doom, funeral doom, death metal, 80s metal in general, psychedelic rock, Black Sabbath, and this mixed with the aesthetic of OM. But more pagan.

I have a bandcamp page setup but the only thing on there now is a riff demo I made last spring.

Wow that sounds like a total clusterfuck. And it doesn't sound good unless you are joking.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am 

I'm not joking! I prefer to keep things interesting. I get bored if I try to stick with one style in my playing.

The main funeral doom influence is Asunder. Not really influenced by the heavier funeral doom bands.

Why would I be joking? I simply worship at the temple of the riff. Every kind of riff.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:06 pm 

True, but putting too many random genres together without a coherent direction tying it together will probably not sound very nice.

That said, just do what you want man (Y)

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:09 pm 

I have direction, and I have a grasp of structuring my music. It's not a thoughtless hodgepodge of bullshit by any means. I find it challenging to stitch these riffs together in a way that sounds good! I have on my side the opinions of several people who have heard my playing as well, they attest to its great sound! And these are people who have been immersed in the culture of underground metal for years, live and breathing the stuff.

TheDeaathlord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 pm 

My band has nearly finished recording our first album, which we are planning to release early in the Spring of 2014. We've been writing songs and riffs at an insane rate, and we just decided to slow down. We've written 4 albums already, and we have set up general time frames on which we plan to release them. I must honestly say that we don't have a specific lyrical theme.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 am 

I'll take a listen to your material micrulah to see if you can actually pull off what you are saying. it's interesting but I agree with everyone else that says it sounds like it would be a clusterfuck. It could be just the way you describe it that really derps it up for the rest of us.

deaathlord that's pretty neat though you don't even talk about what style you are even tackling.

I bought a Kustom 215 Tuck n Roll cab yesterday to pair with the other one I already have.

also this morning before work I recorded vocals for 12 Kamikaze Pilots tracks. maybe I'll do some more tmwr.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 am 

I'm probably not doing it justice with my descriptors. I'm probably just super excited about it, hahaha. I appreciate the feedback though!! Anything is great. I'm glad you guys would like to hear it too, gives me motivation to keep going. I have two songs written. Two songs have lyrics, two songs are fully written on guitar, one song is fully written on drums. So I have a little bit of time to go. Writing more drums, rehearsing, etc. Then recording, then vocals!!

I posted a sample of my music on here a year ago, with the first songs I recorded. Only a couple people saw it, but they both seemed to really like it. I think they sucked fucking ass in retrospect, and these real official songs will blow them out of the damn water.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am 

Yeah with that description its a total turnoff cause it can be one of those things were its just a bunch of mishmash riffs jammed into a song with little flow. But I'm sure its better then how you describe it I would be down to hear it.

Going to start a Butthole Surfers-esque band sometime soon with me on drums. Don't know how that is going to go. I have my hopes but I feel it will be just a bunch of fucking around.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am 

Yeah with that description its a total turnoff cause it can be one of those things were its just a bunch of mishmash riffs jammed into a song with little flow. But I'm sure its better then how you describe it I would be down to hear it.

Going to start a Butthole Surfers-esque band sometime soon with me on drums. Don't know how that is going to go. I have my hopes but I feel it will be just a bunch of fucking around.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thanks xThe__Wizard!!! I've been playing for about 3 years now and I practice as much as I can daily. People who hear me play always say it sounds like I've been playing longer. Not trying to boast, that's dumb, I just want people to be excited to hear what I'm making!! :D I'm certainly very excited about it. I'm very happy to finally be at the point with my musical endeavors that I feel like I can release an EP.

About the sound of it: I'll try to be more accurate. The first song is more focused on slow, sludgy riffs. But they are not overtly brutal, some are kind of pretty sounding, and that's why I mentioned funeral doom (Asunder). It has a faster bluesy riff as closing. But this is the sludgiest and doomiest of the songs I'm going to be releasing. Of course it has other influences in it as well.

The second song is sort of a mix of all the styles of black metal together into one song. It has a couple of crusty parts to it as well. It has some slower, marching style groovy riffs that could be on a Dismember song as well. Faster thrashier riffs, and one shameless Celtic Frost tribute riff!!! But it's still an original riff.

I guess at the core, it's sludge/doom. But I'm trying to put my own spin on it.

The third and final song is the most influenced by classic metal/acid rock. Don't know what else to say about it!! It has some heavy sludge parts and doom parts in it too. Again, I'm all about trying to mix it up as much as possible and keep it interesting with a sort of base sound or feel.

I'm not using traditional song structure, and each song has a lot of riffs in it. The first one is around five minutes long. The song structures are more based on narrative than a verse-chorus-verse type of thing. The lyrics are mainly about things like pagan mysticism and mythology. I'm trying to steer away from being overtly satanic or gory! Just a personal preference. Who knows though, I might start listening to too much Autopsy and early Bathory again :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:45 pm 

Now that sounds like a much more interesting and cohesive picture than what you painted before. Yea post the stuff up once get it together. We'll all listen and if you need some advice there are plenty of assholes here that can most likely help you out.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:55 pm 

Thanks SLK!!! Your reputation preceeds you, at least for me. I'm honored that you're interested in what I'm making! :)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:22 pm 

Well in the end I'm not really happy with how my SG sounds. Something about it, could be the pickup, the strings, the scale length, the hardware, or a million other things. It just sounds kinda dead. I built it to replace my ibanez DT-250 as my super low tuning guitar, but in order to replace it, it needs to sound as good or better. That's easier said than done. I'm also kinda tired of building guitars, so I'm just scouring ebay and craigslist and other sites until I find something I like. Right now I'm thinking an old pre-lawsuit matsumoku les paul copy or an old ibanez destroyer from the mid 80s.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:26 pm 

I don't mind clusterfucks with no flow, as long as I dig the riffs. Can't tell if I'll like it based on a description, though. :)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:31 pm 

SLK: Record those drums!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Thanks SLK!!! Your reputation preceeds you, at least for me. I'm honored that you're interested in what I'm making! :)

Why thank you I didn't know anyone cared outside the few people I force to listen to my stuff. hahaha. But really I'm flattered and that gets you everything.

Infinity..totally going to do them this week, last week was a cluster fuck cause my company was throwing some fancy fucking outdoor dinner party that I had the grand honor of getting everything prepared for, work the night of and then clean up after. That ate up my whole week. Next week I should have plenty more free time. I've been itching to get to them!

Oh and this split is finally out, a split Mykridia did with Offensor and Lord of the Underworld. On tripod records.

https://tridroid.bandcamp.com/album/gat ... he-passion

i'm listening through my tracks apparently I let some mastering slip by cause 2 of the 5 songs aren't the same vol, at least in guitars. :/ I don't know how I didn't notice it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:48 pm 

Itch all over them drums.

Speaking of drums, I almost bought a set today. An electric set, as I need the volume control, but they sounded really nice, came with a double bass pedal, had a nice feel, and the price was right. I decided to wait until my divorce is over to splurge on stuff like that. Then I was going to buy a 6505+ at guitar center, but according to county law if they're selling something used, they have to hold it for 30 days before they can sell it. So I would have had to wait 2 weeks. Fuck that. Eh, I'll probably just start building another guitar this weekend, even though I'm kinda tired of it. Either a carved top flying v or a copy of my old destroyer. I should get a routing template so I'm not always freehanding shit.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm 

I will fool! I will.

Had a discussion with my friend and he is going to build me a 5 way switch so if I wanted I can run 5 rigs at once.

and I don't feel so bad about me missing two on mastering Lord of the Underworlds did as well.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 am 

Well my new Licrest album just got a good review from destructive music and an excellent review from contaminated tones. I'm really happy about that.

Since my car has a tape player as well as a cd changer, I decided that I need to buy a cassette or two. Old school music it is.

Also, I've been thinking of making another flying V for a while, and even got some nice lumber for it a month or so ago. Well, I've been wanting another les paul lately. I think I may end up making a les paul. Bolt on neck, since I'm tired of making necks and thus neck-through guitars. So that may be my project for the day.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 pm 

Will it be one that you will actually like?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 185  Next