Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:16 pm 

From what I've heard ya (not like I heard all 30 or more things you've recorded, but what I heard as drum work gave me a pattern stamp). I can recognize it. Do not want to argue - both times did not happened anything good. Just saying what I hear.
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:25 pm 

Some dude from a noise label contacted me and wants to put out a tape release of the Faustian Orbs album, which is pretty cool.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

I'm not going to bicker. Just pointing out the obvious and what I thought was funny.

straight up get a Crate GX600. They sound good and if you need me to do I'll do a sound test for you. I can't remember the kind of peavy cab I have, I'll go check the back serial to dig that out.

And didn't realize that with the 140c. But I really don't cut or sweep my tone.

currently running KP through the mix machine.

cool deal batman!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:44 pm 

Yeah I usually keep my mids on the ampeg at about 4-5. I dropped them just messing around and it was total pantera. I'm going to hold off on another amp unless I find an insanely good deal. Once I finish the second isolation cab that'll open up more tonal possibilities. I'm just being a typical american and wanting more stuff. I'll probably just wait until my local guitar center has something dirt cheap so I can go test it out. I may get that les paul kit though.

When I was 18-19 the drummer I jammed with stole a Fender Ultimate Chorus from a local church and I played through that for a while. It had the most ungodly amazing clean tones, and I remember the distortion channel being awesome and heavy also, as well as just painfully loud. That was years ago and I was a dumb kid so who knows how the distortion actually sounded, but I've been wanting to pick up one of those again for a while.

Pulled out the shitty pickup in my SG and tried to put my new one in... I need to route the pickup cavity slightly larger. God damnit. So tomorrow I'll do that and install the new pickup, which should make it sound a million times better. I certainly hope so, because it's my guitar for my lowest tunings right now, and I needs it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:50 pm 

Shit, that reminds me: if you ever get a chance, head up to Catonsville to check out Bill's Music. I haven't been there in a couple of years but last time I was there, their used gear selection totally blew Guitar Center's away. That's where I got my bass rig and that Carvin 4x12 for $100.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 pm 

That's normally what I do as well. 4-5.

The crate I suggested. I got mine for 40 bucks. so you can probably find one for around that as well. It's worth it. Fender makes some decent stuff. the older stuff I like most.

That's a great deal on that Carvin 412

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:56 pm 

I think I saw one on mgr for $100 or so. Tempting.

Ahhhhh, you're the other guy in MD. I knew it was one of you. Do you play drums? Yes? If not, start playing drums and let's form a band.

I will definitely check out bill's music, that's only like 4-5 miles away from me. And $100 for just the carvin 4X12 alone is awesome. From my limited experience, Carvin has excellent quality stuff. And congrats on the label thing. That's crazy, just someone from a label contacting you. God damn, I really wish that would happen to me. CONTACT ME, LABELS!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:01 pm 

Yeah, I mean cosmetically the cab is beat to hell but it still sounds great. I think I paid like $50 for my Carvin solid state bass head and another $50 for a 1x15 Sonic cab that sounds sweet. They had shitloads of old guitar heads there too.

I have drums but they're totally shitty and I'm a terrible drummer haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 pm 

I think tomorrow I'll head up there and dig through their old heads then. I'm wanting one.

I'm a terrible drummer too, no biggie. Do you have a place to play/rehearse? I don't need Francesco Paoli here. I just really really want to form an actual band again and play a show every once in a while. If you can play this stuff and are interested, let's do it. Or any of my other music projects, haha.

saloth.bandcamp.com

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm 

It just happens. That's what's happened a good bit to me. More so back in the day not as much now though.

My carvin 412 looks great but all the speakers are fucked... or the wiring is fucked. either way only one speaker works. I have to figure out or have it tested so I know what is ruined.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 pm 

One of these days when I have a bunch of money laying around I'm going to get a carvin bass. Mahogany body, flamed maple top, 5 piece neck through, blood red stain, black hardware. It's gonna be a piece of art... which basically describes all their basses.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:14 pm 

I don't really have a place to play/rehearse. I used to play more in my house but that was back when the house behind mine (shared wall) had no one living there. There's a family living there now so I don't really play very often (usually just VST's to cut down on noise). I seriously suck ass at drums though. My drum kit is one of those cheapo Sound Percussion kits that's kinda falling apart and all I can really play are like basic rock beats. I have like...zero limb independence, haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:17 pm 

That's my goal for the new year is to form an actual band instead of just doing countless solo projects.

If you're not already familiar with them, check out Poulin's VSTs. LeGion is incredibly awesome, I used it on my Devourer album I just released. It's very 5150-ish:
http://devourerinthemist.bandcamp.com/
You can hear it all there. All rhythm guitars were tracked using that, and most of the leads. A couple leads used his Le456.

Know where I can find a drummer around here?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:34 pm 

Yeah, I've played all the Poulin VST's. I think I got on board with those a few years back when mattp was posting regularly since he was real big on them.

You could probably post an ad in Black Mess or something for drummers. You might also have luck at College Park or UMBC - probably lots of people in college would be down for that sort of thing. My brother used to know a guy who was a pretty good drummer. I think he mainly played in like metalcore bands but I dunno if he's still in the area or up for drumming in new bands. I'll check, though.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 pm 

Where did matt go? He just disappeared suddenly.

I was supposed to head up to black mess yesterday and talk to jo about my new stuff. I just got lazy and decided to write music instead.

A metalcore drummer is fine, he'd probably be down with drumming for my devourer in the mist stuff if nothing else. At this point I really don't care what music I play, I just want to be in a real band again.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:06 am 

And now it's 5am and I'm wide awake. I hate it when that happens.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:41 am 

I love it when that happens. Just means I get to start on shit even earlier than I planned. currently mixing down the new KP ep. I'm happy with how it's shaping up. After breakfast I'm going to start on some artwork for the breaking wheel. what I have isn't quite fitting.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:58 am 

Sounds like a plan stan. I guess it's a good thing I woke up so early, because I heard the very beginning of rain, so I ran outside and pulled in all my plywood stuff so it wouldn't get soaked and ruined. Now I have to wait to finish my isolation cab though, which sucks but oh well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:47 pm 

Well see... it was meant for you to wake up! I have to set up my little drawing table here next to the computer. that's usually how I get most stuff done. I listen to stuff on headphones and draw and ink till my hand cramps and then I go online and type about till it's ready for more action. Right now I'm finishing up the art for this KP/Dragunov split. Just a bit more on a hand to complete and it's done.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:24 pm 

You might be interested infinite:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-5150-cab ... 9998540%26

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:06 pm 

Yeah I saw that. on craigslist there's one for like 175 around here. I just don't really have room for a 4X12 right now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:20 pm 

Make room.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:14 pm 

Haha. I wish. I'd have to get rid of another cabinet to do that.

Now I'm going to spend the next hour or so trying to get my guitar tone down for my next OSR album. Not going to stop until it's perfect.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:17 pm 

Good luck! I believe I finalized my mix for Yzord's album. The KP EP and Dragunov's side of the split... Now working on the final tweaks on Uzumaki's full and KP's side of the split. and then more damn drawing.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 pm 

I think I nailed the guitar tone I've been wanting for a while. I moved the mic all around, to no avail, and finally I pulled the mic back a bit from the speaker and bam, less muddiness and less boxy midrange and brighter. So I think I nailed it. Now I'm gonna try to get a good bass tone, big and full and slightly dirty but not too much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 pm 

Well that didn't take long at all.

Kinda like what I thought I'd have to do to tweak my Uzumaki album it was nothing more than... take a tiny bit of vol from the kick, add an ounce of vol to the snare and add a cunt hair of mids to the guitar.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm 

Yeah all it took was pulling the mic away from the speaker a bit and bam. I'm almost tempted to redo all the guitars on breaking wheel hahahaha. But I won't. Got a nice bass tone going also, nice and slightly dirty. So I guess all that's left is to redo all of my OSR songs now. That's going to take a while.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:43 pm 

The dude from the noise label is gonna put out the Faustian Orbs tape sometime in late January/early February. I guess I should make some proper art for it, or something!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:47 pm 

I like it when is easy like that to fix or correct I guess you can say.

Right now I have to figure out a way to mic out my Randall RG300 that I use with my Fender Bassman 412. It's.. well crashing shutting down the computer or completely freezes it. I don't know what exactly it is that's causing it. It's not too much vol, I'm really think it's the vibrations it sends out from the cab while using it that it just fucks up the computer or something. I don't know it's retarded and annoying.

batman, just throw stuff at a wall, photograph it, print it out on paper, crumble it up, rescan it and then put it in black and white. there art is done.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:49 pm 

Lucky bastard. I wish a label would contact me. Hell, I can't even get them to reply to my emails!

Did a quick "soundcheck" for my next OSR album. It's not perfect but it's getting better. Here's where I'm at right now:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... dcheck.wav

Just gotta tweak those guitars a little and I'll be there. I'm also doing my best to get EZDrummer to sound as realistic as possible. I tried superior drummer and just plain didn't like it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:10 pm 

Sounds good to me.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:30 pm 

ajklflk;jdafgal;ksd;lkjfa;lkjasdlkjflaskjdf I just found a 1984/5 ibanez DT-250 at a guitar center for $230. To me those are basically the best sounding guitars ever built. I have the red stained one, and the one for sale is black. I want it soooo bad, but I'm building one essentially to replace mine, so it can age gracefully and still work in 20 years. Ahhh, the inner struggle.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 pm 

Buy it. You know you want to.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:04 pm 

I want to get a baritone scale guitar for Saloth, since I tune down to F# or G (still can't decide) for that stuff. I can get a baritone conversion neck from Warmoth for a decent bit of cash, or this for cheaper:
http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron627wr.html

really tempted to buy that. The extra scale length would help so much with the super low tuning. And it's neck through with a mahogany body. And shipping is only 16 bucks. And it's red, my favorite color. Okay I'm buying it. I need a super low tuning guitar, and this'll do.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Buy it. You know you want to.

I seriously do! But I already have one, and while I know it sounds great, I'm trying to build something that sounds better. It won't be easy, but if I can do it, it'll be a step forward. The biggest issue will be finding the appropriate pickup. So I need a really high output pickup that sounds incredibly good. I think the old Ibanez V5s had an output of 16K or so, so I need something that hot.

Just ordered that inexpensive baritone. Can't wait to get it, string it up with some bridge cables and tune it way the fuck down and rock out on all my Saloth stuff. With that longer scale I don't have to tune "up" to dropped G, I can leave it in dropped F#, which makes me happy. That tuning is unreasonably low and almost completely useless, which makes it perfect for that project.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:31 pm 

I'm going to buy it just so you can't have it.

Actually I wouldn't do that... there is an older model Traynor 412 I'd like to get, a Kustom 210/212 cab, and my friend just sent me a message about a Krank cab for 350 near him. Oh so many delightful amps.

Last edited by ShaolinLambKiller on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:35 pm 

If you bought it you'd probably have a new favorite guitar. Seriously, those old destroyers with the V5 pickups sound fucking incredible. And with the 25.5" scale they're great for low tunings. I'll never part with mine for any price (also because it was my first guitar).

Just listened to a bunch of core of destruction radio which is always good. I'm becoming friends with some people that run shows there, giving them my music, and I found a few awesome bands to listen to. Stomach Earth is one of them, and I'm really enjoying it, to the extent that I'm almost want to put a bit of that sound into my Saloth stuff. Although I do like Saloth, instead of just making it kinda run of the mill super low tuned groove death metal, I think adding a slight doom/haunting aspect to it could add depth to it, plus support the overall style I was wanting to go with that project, which is a very low, dark, occult and dark topic kinda thing. If I can keep the same crushing lowness and add some texture and depth to it, that'll be all the better.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:36 pm 

If you want it, here's the ad:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Us ... 3357728.gc

and here's another one for 20 bucks more:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Us ... 3479100.gc

you really cant' go wrong with these guitars.

Last edited by infinitenexus on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm 

I do like that body style though...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:40 pm 

beveled edges on the top and a basswood body, nice and comfortable to play, lightweight, comfortable neck not too thick, not too thin. And did I mention the pickups? Super high output. There's even a vagina on the back of the guitar so you can bang it while you play. And they'll help you do your taxes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 185  Next