* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:37 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
imspazzen wrote:
Anyone have any tips for multi-finger tapping? I've been writing a lot of it in GuitarPro lately and I figure that I should actually learn how to play it :-P

Also how do I embed GP files into my posts?

There's two basic ways to approach this. One, you could do the Reb Beach thing and tap up a scale using your middle and ring fingers. Say your playing E minor, you would play patterns of four per string. Start on the a string with a pull off using your tapping finger, hammer on from e to f# and then g, then tap with your middle finger on the 12th fret to produce a d, and pull off onto the next string with your ring finger. It's a nice, smooth way of using more than one finger to tap.

The other way is start with chromatic tapping passages on one string. Tap a fourth above a note on the high e string with your pinky finger, and the with your left and right hands go down one fret at a time, switching tapping fingers each time. This is a good starting point, try doing it across strings too if possible.

It can be useful to forget about the actual notes and begin with tapping out the rhythms, yes. Then add the actual notes later. But be sure to master the tapping rhythm first. I think Reb has some nice videos on how he does stuff, if people want to look it up. He's a thougthtful guitar player, although I personally didn't care for all of his results.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm 

soul_schizm wrote:

It can be useful to forget about the actual notes and begin with tapping out the rhythms, yes. Then add the actual notes later. But be sure to master the tapping rhythm first. I think Reb has some nice videos on how he does stuff, if people want to look it up. He's a thougthtful guitar player, although I personally didn't care for all of his results.

Yeah just look up "Reb Beach two handed tapping" on youtube and he demonstrates it in a much clearer way.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 pm 

Yes, I agree. It's a lengthy video, and he really goes into the actual mechanics of tapping, making sure other strings are muted, slowing things down so you can hear exactly what is happening, etc.

It's good stuff.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 am 

Anyone into non-metal guitar playing ? I used to play classical guitar more than I ate or slept, but very little of that now, regrettably. Also play a lot of finger-picking stuff like Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, and a whole bunch of Taylor Swift songs

PussyoftheMouths
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 am 

Hey, I've been playing guitar for around 6 months and am trying to learn Megadeth - In my Darkest Hour.

I've been trying to find some accurate tabs but finding it difficult. Any idea where I can find an accurate tab?

Thx ppl!

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:45 pm 

somefella wrote:
Also play a lot of finger-picking stuff like Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler

We have so much to discuss...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm 

Nice, I'm trying to learn the full version of Sultans Of Swing now, the second solo is giving me problems, especially since I'm learning off the Alchemy/Alchemist(?) live DVD version, Knopfler goes apeshit on some of the fills between the verses. Also, it took me longer to properly play the intro off Money For Nothing than the entirety of Fucked With A Knife, couldn't properly get the timing of the former.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm 

I have been trying to bring dissonance into my faster playing (thrash, hardcore) without having to do open (non palm-muted) notes that I let ring out. I know theres a lot of bands like DsO and Blut Aus Nord who use dissonance regularly but mostly in a open note fasion or in lengthy held chords. I am still in the early stages of experimentation and would be grateful for some tips or suggestions on songs to play or useful scales/excersises. Thanks

Systematic_Genocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:48 pm 

nvm

Last edited by Systematic_Genocide on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Systematic_Genocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:59 pm 

PussyoftheMouths wrote:
Hey, I've been playing guitar for around 6 months and am trying to learn Megadeth - In my Darkest Hour.

I've been trying to find some accurate tabs but finding it difficult. Any idea where I can find an accurate tab?

Thx ppl!

http://abysslord.com/megadeth/tabs/sfsgsw/sfsgsw.html

The guy who makes these Megadeth tabs does a good job, however, I use his tabs a guide and don't exactly play what he has note for note, because there are still some errors. If you want to play it perfectly note for note, I recommend downloading the "Amazing Slow Downer." You can slow down the song to 20% speed, and adjust the pitch if necessary, in order to figure out by ear what is really being played. You can download it for free, but not the full version. The free version will only play the first quarter or three minutes of the song, but there are easy ways to get around this without buying the full version, even though the restrictions will still be in place.

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:22 pm 

So I acquired this guitar, but has a little something wrong with. The string at the bridge was off, but when I go to turn the screw to loosen it to move the string, the screw comes out but doesn't loosen the grip on the screw. The rest of the screws are fine...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... 12455.jpg/

Is it possible to somehow fix/get that part replaced or does the entire thing have to be replaced?

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:17 am 

I'm a big fan of my Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp, but I joined a Blackened Death Metal band last week so I need something bigger. Does anyone know if the Vypyr(or a similar model) comes in half-stack form?

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm 

I suck at guitar. What can I do to get better? I've been playing for 4 years btw.

Lol

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
I suck at guitar. What can I do to get better? I've been playing for 4 years btw.

Some details would be great. What would you like to work on?

Question for all guitar players here; what amp do you use? I've got a 30 watt marshall amp but it sounds quite digital. I want a better one but have no idea what to buy really. Planning on playing every metal subgenre basically except for extreme metal.

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:16 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:

At riffing?

Play different rythms to a metronome in a speed that you are a hundred percent comfortable with and try to keep your movements as small, relaxed and precise as possible. Increase the speeds slooooowly, when you start to strain stop and go back a step and keep at that speed for some time more.

Solos?

I don´t fucking know haha, play scales or something

Thrashedtofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Det_Morkettall wrote:

Some details would be great. What would you like to work on?

Question for all guitar players here; what amp do you use? I've got a 30 watt marshall amp but it sounds quite digital. I want a better one but have no idea what to buy really. Planning on playing every metal subgenre basically except for extreme metal.

I use a Randall RX120RH, it doesn´t sound as good as a quality all tube amp but it´s cheap and reliable.

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:27 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:

Get lessons. You'll get better and faster than doing it by yourself.

ODSM Page in Fb

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:35 pm 

Det_Morkettall wrote:

If you like to develop technical skill, learn some scales, alternate picking, and some arpeggio sweeps.

If you are impatient, then train your ears first by playing a song ENTIRELY: a good one would be "Am I Evil?," I learned it by ear in 1 day (minus the first half of the real solo halfway through the song, lol).

Just jam! Play what you feel like! I learned by playing dark stuff in the key of E Harmonic Minor and D Harmonic Minor.
My other friend trained by playing Blink-182. He knows like, 30 songs by them on guitar. He likes happy, uplifting material.

If anything, start with music theory. That is the foundation of music, creativity, and jamming to whatever the fuck you want, all-in-one.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:58 pm 

colin040 wrote:

I have ENGL Screamer, 50w. It sounds truly amazing, and suprisingly not at all like a poor mans version of the big ENGL heads. The sound is difficult to describe. It's quite vitriolic even with lower distortion, and chugs have a certain power to them you'll probably not hear outside ENGL amps. You can't really get that thick, rich and incredibly heavy sound you hear in lots of Swedish death metal for example, or Suffocation (not with my guitar at least). I'd say it's more suited for black and thrash than death metal.

These songs were recorded using an ENGL Screamer (but an incredibly cheap microphone, so the sound here will give but a vague impression of the tone):
http://www.hitlantis.com/#/illusions-dead

slutever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:47 pm 

Systematic_Genocide wrote:
I've been having wrist pains in my fretting hand. Here is the area of the wrist that is affected. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/wristpain.jpg/

Anyone have any tips? This has been really bugging me. I think it has been getting worse. I've had this for a while and haven't figured out how to get rid of it. I used to bend my wrist a lot when playing but I've been playing differently since because I think I was getting pain throughout my entire wrist when I played. How do you guys position your fretting hand? How much do you bend your wrist and where is the best place to place the thumb? I've been experimenting with different positions and such trying to make the pain go away.

In the meantime I'm going to try to get an appointment with my doctor soon.

Edit: Here are some pictures to help give an idea of my fretting hand position on guitar. I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2636/picture71a.jpg
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4672/picture73e.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6159/picture70d.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2532/picture72g.jpg

i used to have this problem, but i forced myself to start playing with my thumb higher on the neck. you have to, if you bend your wrist that much, it strains the tendons, then you get pain. when i play just straight open chords or anything down on the neck, my thumb actually curls over top the guitar. the lowest my thumb ever goes, is a little middle of the neck...
just try gradually raising your thumb. it'll help in the long run.

hope this helps, and good luck.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:10 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
colin040 wrote:

I have ENGL Screamer, 50w. It sounds truly amazing, and suprisingly not at all like a poor mans version of the big ENGL heads. The sound is difficult to describe. It's quite vitriolic even with lower distortion, and chugs have a certain power to them you'll probably not hear outside ENGL amps. You can't really get that thick, rich and incredibly heavy sound you hear in lots of Swedish death metal for example, or Suffocation (not with my guitar at least). I'd say it's more suited for black and thrash than death metal.

These songs were recorded using an ENGL Screamer (but an incredibly cheap microphone, so the sound here will give but a vague impression of the tone):
http://www.hitlantis.com/#/illusions-dead

I love Engl. I have two *very* early twin heads. The pots need a good cleaning or replacement. But for a good long time, Engl was where my tone was at.

I think the nearest dealer to me is in Chicago.

Right now I'm just using a practice amp. It's a Vox VT 80+. I played around with all the modeling modes, and concluded that they are largely nonsense. But running it in manual mode is just fine for practicing. I think you can get a decent practice amp from a number of companies these days. If you are going to get more serious about your tone, it's time to set aside some quality time and really work out some of the more expensive heads/rack mounted gear.

Tone is a very personal thing. Before I drop thousands of dollars on something, I'm going to want to know it's the right thing *for me*. Not something that my friends say is good. But something I know really fits what I want.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:56 pm 

somefella wrote:
Anyone into non-metal guitar playing ? I used to play classical guitar more than I ate or slept, but very little of that now, regrettably. Also play a lot of finger-picking stuff like Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, and a whole bunch of Taylor Swift songs

Yes, I have been playing the classical guitar for about seven years now. I try to play all of my guitars the same amount, although because I can't put all my practicing into one instrument, sometimes I don't get the results I want from one or the other.

slutever
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm 

somefella wrote:

i'm very big into bluegrass and general appalachian style guitar. (i'm from kentucky, makes perfect sense.) first instrument i learned how to play was banjo, so when i started playing guitar it was easy to finger pick.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 am 

I've had the most rad clean funk-esque rock jams occasionally. C-standard makes funk rock riffs sound massive. Other than that I occasionally indulge in long, bluesy, chilled out clean guitar solos just for the sake of it.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:48 am 

Guys... I came here to tell you i'm going to buy a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR... I'm excited as hell.!! Love that guitar, I've heard that Jeff Loomis played it for some time before he got his signature. And this is my first 7 string, any advice, the floyd rose is really THAT problematic as i've heard? It takes too long before I get used to the thicker fretboard?

I'm finally going to be able to play some Nevermore, Born of Osiris (New album songs), Cloudkicker and other of my fav bands that use 7 strings
:hyper:

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:29 pm 

Floyd Rose is not problematic if it's good quality. With a decent floating trem you'll spend much less time tuning your guitar, although the extra time it takes to change the strings will make up for that difference, and the fact that when you do have to tune it properly, it takes much longer. Unless you like popping your guitar into a drop tuning every now and then or otherwise change your tunings, it's not problematic at all. Just make sure it's not a cheap licensed Floyd Rose copy, since those tend to have problems.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Floyd Rose is not problematic if it's good quality. With a decent floating trem you'll spend much less time tuning your guitar, although the extra time it takes to change the strings will make up for that difference, and the fact that when you do have to tune it properly, it takes much longer. Unless you like popping your guitar into a drop tuning every now and then or otherwise change your tunings, it's not problematic at all. Just make sure it's not a cheap licensed Floyd Rose copy, since those tend to have problems.

Thanks for the feedback, on the guitar specifications says it is a "Floyd Rose Original Tremolo" so I believe I'm no having problems with that, I'm looking forward to stay in standard tuning, but, i'll be changing that for covers A# D# G# C# F# A# D# for Nevermore and G D G C F A D for some Djenty bands :-P

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:13 pm 

If you don't mind the extra work of changing tunings, it will be fine. You won't be able to change tunings mid-set, however. It's not completely peculiar to Floyd Rose guitars to slowly revert back to the original tuning, but in Floyd Roses the problem is much more pronounced.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
You won't be able to change tunings mid-set, however.

Sorry for my ignorance, but, what is "Tunings mid-set"? I probably know, but can figure out a proper translation to it... I came with something like "Parte Media de los afinadores" but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me :(

Could you please explain me a bit? So I can understand better.

Btw, Sorry for my english I'm still learning (M-A Forums helps me a lot, all these conversations makes me understand english a little bit more every day :-P )

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm 

I'll explain in Spanish, that'll save you guys some trouble:

Se refiere a que teniendo un floyd rose, podés cambiar la afinación instantáneamente; si estás en el medio de un show (a eso se refiere con mid-set, suelen decirle set a los recitales cuando uno está tocando) no tenés que andar reafinando ni cambiando de guitarra, lo hacés en un segundo.

Pero como dijeron arriba, si no vas a comprar un floyd rose de calidad profesional, ni te gastes porque te va a dar más problemas que otra cosa.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:34 pm 

I'll answer in Spanish as well:

Muchas Gracias garthmargengi! Ya entendi completamente como es la cosa.! Y si al parecer el Floyd es de calidad profesional asi que no espero tener tantos problemas con eso, no puedo esperar por tener la guitarra, mi primera 7 cuerdas.! Y cualquier cosa he oido que si se tiene muchos problemas con el Floyd se puede mandar a bloquear cierto?

Anyways, Thanks a lot garthmargengi :thumbsup:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
You won't be able to change tunings mid-set, however.

Sorry for my ignorance, but, what is "Tunings mid-set"? I probably know, but can figure out a proper translation to it... I came with something like "Parte Media de los afinadores" but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me :(

Could you please explain me a bit? So I can understand better.

Btw, Sorry for my english I'm still learning (M-A Forums helps me a lot, all these conversations makes me understand english a little bit more every day :-P )

Sorry if I was unclear. By mid-set I meant in the middle of a live performance (ie. set).

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Sorry if I was unclear. By mid-set I meant in the middle of a live performance (ie. set).

Yeah, I got it now, thanks for all your help man, really apreciate it. :beer:

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

Glad to be able to help, don't worry about the floyd issue, it seems like the one that guitar has is really good, so you shouldn't have any problems, and yeah, it still can be blocked if you don't want to use it.

Merian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 am 

Anyone here who has inclination for plucking rather than strumming? I have a weakness for that.

Merian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 am 

I'm working on plucking nowadays as it's said to build dexterity more than strumming. What's your opinion on this?

Benny89
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm 

The First Time I Died wrote:
What tunings do you guys normally use?

I usually keep it simple with E and D, but occasionally use C and Ab.

i use drop c, b,a#, and a

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:05 pm 

I always play in standard on a 6 string. So yeah I'm kind of old school that way. Though I do use drop d once in a while, and in my current progressive metal band the singer's been wanting me to play in D standard but I'm not really wanting to.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:37 pm 

I need some recommendations for strings. I use C standard on Ibanez RG1570, a superstrat with mediocre stock pickups. The pickups have a very muddy tone in spite of the fact that it's supposed to be a superstrat - more like a mudstrat. I can get a good tone out of my ENGL 50w combo when I put enough treble and lead presence. Anyhow, I'm looking for strings with clear, bright tone, and that are durable enough. I have now D'Addario 12-60. While I found the brand's 10-46 to be quite good (when I used E-standard), I'm rather disappointed with these.

bollovan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:42 pm 

I just started playing guitar.I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special I.
The problem is that some strings on frets 1-5 make very annoying extra buzzing sounds.Anyone knows an easy way to stop that ?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next