Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 am 

If you guys learn 16 three note per string patterns (the 7 church modes,the 7 modes of harmonic minor, the 2 diminished modes) on guitar and consider what note patterns are in the chords you are playing over, you know how to shred, and you can write harmonies really easily. I highly recommend doing so, it doesn't take very long to learn if you already have finger dexterity. Massive fun and a great musical tool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:43 am 

I'll have to see what those modes are. I know very little about anything on what anything I do, I know how to make and create things I like.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 am 

That's kinda how I am. I know zero scales and one mode (e Phrygian) haha. Not sure how I made it this far as a musician without knowing jack shit. I think I'm going to spend this weekend learning some scales. Maybe some of those weird ones like Alex Webster likes to use. I'll probably also try to learn a new solo or two. Never too late to learn, I guess.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:17 pm 

I think it's easy to make it without knowing shit. cause you could be doing shit without knowing what it's properly called or knowing there was a techinque for it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 pm 

True story. I've seen some guys in smaller, local bands tearing it up, shredding their solos... and musically speaking, those solos went nowhere. Just musical masturbation, really. That's what I'd like to avoid. I think my head is usually in the right place for soloing, and I I have the right outlook on it, I just need to learn more techniques and get my left hand up to par.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:48 am 

I like musical masturbation!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:54 am 

After practicing some tonight I've found it's not really my right or left hand speed, those are both pretty much okay. It's my coordination. Gotta get them going in synch. I mean come on, like the most technical solo I know is the solo from "Fade to Black". And I learned that fucking thing when I was 14. It's time to learn some new stuff. I should check out John Petrucci's videos, that guy is a monster. Not really my style, but his skill level is ridiculous... As evidenced by this video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okO9qGt7A4

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

I found the above Paul Gilbert video enormously helpful when I was learning to shred. He teaches a great exercise at the six minute mark, and the rest of the video is informative (but probably covers things you already know)

And you're correct, right/left hand sync is everything.

I need to learn to do death metal vocals correctly. Mine are currently performed as inhales, they hurt like hell, and they only sound good through studio trickery.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:57 pm 

Kinda hard to describe proper death metal vocals. Inhaled vocals are definitely bad for you though. Death growls are kinda like doing a really hard whisper, but with more tension in your throat. And all the power comes from your diaphragm. Thanks for the vid, Gilbert is pretty damn impressive. And his hands are HUGE

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:09 pm 

Yea inhales aren't that great and quite weak. I used to do them as emphasis on stuff back in the day in one of my old death/grind bands where I just did vocals. They never bothered my throat but I didn't think they were as great as any of the exhale vocals I do.

And I don't get the death growls as a hard whisper, if you can't expel that bastard to be heard pretty easily without a mic and PA then you are weak!!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:11 am 

Well when I said whisper I mean you don't really use your "voice" when you do death growls. Except for what's his name from Carcass maybe. It's all just essentially abrasion in the throat, no actual voice used. One of those things that's kinda hard to put in words.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 am 

Yea, I guess. My voice goes to death vocals easily without harming my throat.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2