Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 pm 

I'm 21 and I've been playing the drums since I was 12. Drumming is what I live for and I am trying to make a career of it. About 5 months ago I found out that I have carpal tunnel syndrome, and it seems to get worse every month. I take lots of aspirin, do exercises, and wear a brace when I sleep, but it only helps so much. Sometimes I worry if it will get in the way of making drumming my career. Do any of you have this problem or a similar one, and if so, how do you deal with it?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm 

you basically suck it up. if it gets worst it can def make an impact on your career.

I don't know what i have in my right wrist is carpal tunnel because i've never diagnosed it. But I feel like a few of my tendons for my fingers are stretched in my wrist. And the only way to really relive it is to crack my wrist or fingers. and I do that constantly all day long. I don't take any pain meds or anything like. I don't wear a brace. actually the only thing that makes it feel real good is doing heavy lifting at the gym. other than that, crack my fingers/wrist and not think about it. my ankle on my right kinda feels like that occassionally as wel and I have to pop my ankle and sometimes my foot as well for it to feel normal.

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am 

Yeah, I mean I already suck it up. There's not much I can do. That sucks about your tendons. I imagine that could really impact your playing. Same here though about the heavy lifting. I lift thousands of pounds every day at work, and that's what really keeps the strength in my hands and wrists. If I have more than two days off, I can feel my muscles weakening. Glad you have a way to deal with it though.

hesychasmsa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 am 

One thing to alleviate pain is to ensure you have immaculate technique. Bad technique at playing any instrument will usually hurt but with carpal tunnel it will hurt a whole lot more.

The only other way to deal with it is through surgery but, depending on where you live, it could cost anything from nothing to more than you can afford.
Youtube For originals

gamblor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 am 

Technique is very important. That's for sure. The problem with the surgery is that it doesn't have a great enough success rate to make it worthwhile. That's why they don't recommend it to young people like me. When you're old you have less to lose if something goes wrong.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 pm 

It actually doesn't bother me at all when I'm playing or my ability to play. I actually feel great while playing just like lifting. And it's not really like it's a pain or ache, it's just sorta weird uncomfortable feeling.

Like if I can't go to the gym or work out and it's really annoying at home. i just pick up my guitar and it sorta just goes away.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 pm 

I recommend massive amounts of masturbation. I like to call it massivebation.

ManualDisembowelment
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 pm 

You may want to consider looking into Chiropractor care for it. I've just been diagnosed with Ulnar nerve entrapment and i haven't had feeling or strength in my left hand for nearly five weeks now. I've played guitar for ten years and going from shredding almost anything to not being able to barre a fucking 7th chord is pretty terrifying considering only now is my music career getting serious lol. The reason i say this is i've noticed lots of ads for carpal tunnel at my health facility and it couldn't hurt to at least research it. consequently i've noticed improvement and can feel my strength and feeling coming back little by little. I never believed in chiropractors till now but definitely check it out.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 am 

I had a bad cist in my left wrist for a couple years...it made playing for any amount of time pretty painful. Just do some light stretching beforehand. And I mean light. Otherwise you'll be in way more pain. Hahaha

Reply to topic