Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm 

Here is a project I have been working on in my spare time that I'd like to share. It's main emphasis lately has been looking into data visualization of information here at the archives. Within you will find maps, histograms, lists, tables, etc. All concerning metal.

I've seen a few things like this around the web, but wanted to elaborate on things and see what else can be seen. One such standard is bands per capita which can be somewhat misleading without qualification.

Have a look, and let me know if you'd like to see anything in particular.

https://metalstats.wordpress.com

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:22 am 

Lots of interesting stuff there, nice work! :)

One thing I've been curious to see for a while: could you post the ratio of musicians per capita and rank it by country? I saw you did a few experiments with this "band per capita" thing, but what bothers me with these types of measures is that one individual can have like 10 projects, so the numbers get skewed. Having "musicians per capita" would solve this issue

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 pm 

Jabawock wrote:

One thing I've been curious to see for a while: could you post the ratio of musicians per capita and rank it by country? I saw you did a few experiments with this "band per capita" thing, but what bothers me with these types of measures is that one individual can have like 10 projects, so the numbers get skewed. Having "musicians per capita" would solve this issue

Thank you for your interest. I have posted some results pertaining to your question here:

https://metalstats.wordpress.com/2017/06/25/musicians-per-capita/

In general, the results are similar. I will take a look at number of bands for particular artists later to see how prevalent individuals having X number of projects really is.

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 pm 

Jabawock wrote:

I've updated some info on this and added a post on how many bands a person is typically in:

Roughly 80% of all musicians have only been in one band. However, if I only include artists that have appeared on a full length album this drops to 63%!

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 am 

*Ahem*

Oregon is the Finland of the USA

https://metalstats.wordpress.com/2017/06/28/oregon-is-the-finland-of-the-usa/

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 am 

This is per capita, BTW

Greyiguana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm 

AShallowerVoid thank you for sharing your post. That is excellent information, and it is useful to me. A while ago I wrote a journal article for the International Society for Metal Music Studies in which I identified religious, demographic and other factors that determine the number of metal bands in a country. One of the problems that I had in that study was how to deal with musicians who were in more than one band. If I had the kind of data that you had produced, I could have based my study on the number of musicians instead and my results would have been more accurate.

It would be useful to me to have the following data on a country by country basis for each year:

Metal bands
Active metal bands
Possibly metal bands by genre
Possibly active metal bands by genre
Metal musicians
Metal musicians currently active
Metal musicians by gender
Metal musicians currently active by gender
Albums
Songs released
Registered users of Encyclopedia Metallum

There are more stats that are of use to the work of metal scholars, those are the ones that are immediately obvious to me from looking at the data at Encyclopedia Metallum.

Once again, thank you for your efforts in compiling these statistics.

AShallowerVoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pm 

Almost wrote a whole response and saw you wanted it by year. What are you going to do with the data? Visualization? Something like this:

https://metalstats.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/test-gif/

We'd need to discuss what you need a bit more and in what format. My data is a bit old at this point too, from April or so.

Greyiguana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 pm 

What I have in mind is writing a paper somewhat like this one:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/i ... 1/art00010

Here is a link to an article about my paper which is a bit easier to understand than the paper itself and which does include maps:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/7-reasons-scandinavia/

Reply to topic