Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:12 am 

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if anybody had ever heard of a band called Zeal and Ardor before?

They are a fairly new, New York based music project by a guy named Manuel Gagneux. I saw it on Bandcamp this morning and gave it a listen due to the interesting album artwork.

I was completely blown away. All the mini-reviews were going berserk singing its praises so I was immediately excited and what came out when I clicked play I can honestly say I've never heard anything like it.

Its essentially a mix of black metal, blues, electronica, melo-death and gospel music. Manuel said that he thought it'd be hilarious to do some black slave style singing but lauding the virtues of Lucifer instead of God. This is done, IMO anyway, exceedingly well and it makes for a very odd, creepy atmosphere. Lines like "A good god is a dead god, a god that brings the fire", "Burn the young boy, burn him good", "Little one gotta heed my warning, devil is kind. He come in early morning, the devil is fine. He go by many names, the devil is kind. We gonna go home to the flame, the devil is fine".

This sung over throbbing and driving drum beats (more reminiscent of electronica than metal) is layered with tremolo picked guitars that initially sound post-rocky before they diverge until full, 2nd wave style black metal riffing.

It's honestly so odd. I imagine many people on this site will hate them, but I was wondering if anybody else had encountered them before?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:32 am 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
greetings, earthlings! I can type out four paragraphs of waxing lyrical, but not post a single link... this showcases my literary abilities without the useless distraction of clickable material... also, I'm hoping the mass googling of "Zeal and Ardor" will help propel them to stardom, so that then I can say "you heard it first here!"

https://zealandardor.bandcamp.com/

otherwise, I'm a fairly likable person :p

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:08 am 

Wow, your band sounds really unique!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:12 am 

aloof wrote:
RichardDeBenthall wrote:
greetings, earthlings! I can type out four paragraphs of waxing lyrical, but not post a single link... this showcases my literary abilities without the useless distraction of clickable material... also, I'm hoping the mass googling of "Zeal and Ardor" will help propel them to stardom, so that then I can say "you heard it first here!"

https://zealandardor.bandcamp.com/

otherwise, I'm a fairly likable person :p

You had me very confused there for a minute until I realised you can obviously just edit quotes XD

Link probably would have been a good idea haha.

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:29 am 

Did you buy all those Bandcamp reviews? They really don't look real.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:37 am 

Well he didn't buy me and I freaking love it! Is that even a thing on bandcamp? Pretty cynical thing to post to an up and coming artist/band too....

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 am 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
Well he didn't buy me and I freaking love it! Is that even a thing on bandcamp? Pretty cynical thing to post to an up and coming artist/band too....

One more spam post out of the promotional subforum and you go bye bye. Im moving this thread

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 am 

Apologies, I didn't even know this subforum existed. Must have got forum tunnel vision.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:11 am 

No worries, then

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:39 am 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
Its essentially a mix of black metal, blues, electronica, melo-death and gospel music.

That sounds absolutely terrible.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:20 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
RichardDeBenthall wrote:
Its essentially a mix of black metal, blues, electronica, melo-death and gospel music.

That sounds absolutely terrible.

I'm giving it a listen now. It's really not as bad as you may think. Whether or not it's actually a cohesive mix of genres, or just a gimmick though...

It is an interesting delve into the spiritual side of metal though.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 pm 

mod, this is something birthed from 4chan's /mu/ a while back, but then again maybe you know something we don't (e.g. the IP address).

That being said, the trap elements are really unnecessary and detrimental to the overall album. They don't fit the rest of the record at all.

SanctuaryCat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:12 pm 

There is so much potential here, but some aspects just didn't gel. Still find it immensely fascinating and fully respect what is being tried here. Some tracks are super strong.

Reply to topic