Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 pm 

Kind of a weird topic I know, but this is something i do all the time. As you go about your life day to day do you find yourself thinking of certain bands or metal genres as you experience things?

For example, when I walk through nature or go to a park I often think of melodic bands or if I am in the city I am reminded of death metal. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's something I do all the time. I once went on this hiking trip and when i got to the top of the mountain and looked down at the scenery I instantly thought of the album Paradise Belongs to You by Saturnus because what I was seeing is what I imagine when I hear the album. Can anyone relate to this?

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 pm 

Yes, I can. Whenever I get angry, I here basically any Amon Amarth/Mirrorthrone song in my head, and I instantly think of thrash metal whenever I skateboard. It's actually very common. I also recently had the privilege of walking through a grim, frost bitten forest while listening to Burzum's Filosofem.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:33 pm 

MapleKit wrote:
For example, when I walk through nature or go to a park I often think of melodic bands

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:36 pm 

Ok then I am not alone in this!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:57 pm 

Yea, whenever I am banging a chick the lyrics for Cannibal Corpse "Addicted to Vaginal skin" are running through my head

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:00 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Yea, whenever I am banging a chick the lyrics for Cannibal Corpse "Addicted to Vaginal skin" are running through my head
oh lord...

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 pm 

I know whenever I'm traveling the countryside, I like listening to some stoner/doom music. Bands like Kyuss and Down come to mind. It's just relaxing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:21 pm 

Well, I usually have song lyrics or choruses stuck in my head, being that I listen to more melodic metal, and I associate them with certain events that were happening when I first listened to them, if they occur again, remind me of them, but that is about it.

For instance, last winter I listened to Mob Rules' debut album for the first time while reading a John Grisham book, and I can still remember the sensation whenever I listen to that album. Not exactly what the thread wanted, but yeah, I can relate.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:28 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, I usually have song lyrics or choruses stuck in my head, being that I listen to more melodic metal, and I associate them with certain events that were happening when I first listened to them, if they occur again, remind me of them, but that is about it.

For instance, last winter I listened to Mob Rules' debut album for the first time while reading a John Grisham book, and I can still remember the sensation whenever I listen to that album. Not exactly what the thread wanted, but yeah, I can relate.
That happens to me all the time. I'll hear a song and will remember what I was doing when i first heard it.

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 pm 

For me, music cannot match nature, or life, in general. The feelings associated with a worldly experience are, to me, more "authentic" than any music that is used to "capture" those feelings by using instruments to evoke them. BUT, music can take me to places that I could not possibly experience in real life. So, I would say that, for me, music is different in kind than actual experiences of the world (and thus they don't match very well for me), but the latter is more authentic because it is what makes music possible in the first place. (Life is possible without music, but music is not possible without life.)

So, to actually answer the question of the thread (though I alluded to the answer above), I typically just experience life without feeling a desire to match a certain type of music with a certain type of experience while the experience is going on. And when I listen to music, you could say that I am removed from the world about as much as one can be. So, "background music" is something that very rarely happens with me. It's either music, or it's just plain living.

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:04 pm 

No, but when I get really bored or annoyed I think about a song and focus on what I remember. For the past few days, I've been singing Three Suns and One Star when I get bored

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:57 pm 

I relate Judas Priest to StarCraft. You can't listen to a song like 'Hard as Iron' while watching aliens explode at the hands of Terran marines without it just fitting perfectly together.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:04 am 

I ride a ferry to work alot and late at night on the way back I like to listen to Ahab. It goes nice with the black sky and dark water. Quick 15 minute ride but I can normaly get a song in. Also, when ever im driving alone for long hours I tend to just get lost in long funeral doom or epic/atmospheric music. I dont really relate to metal through emotion anymore but I tend to listen to a track fitted to my surroundings. Im into apreciating the value of the actual music more than I am into relating to it emotionaly.

Edit*** Wow... that was a never ending typo. All fixed.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:51 am 

I think of Ensiferum whenever I play Dungeons And Dragons. But that's an obvious connection.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 am 

When I have many things to do, but I find some time to relax, I think about Bathory and Quorthon's voice. It happens naturally.

Also, while walking through near villages, I used to listen to Kawir's To Cavirs.

And of course, when I was a junky with World of Warcraft, in player vs player arena/'grounds I put Obsecration. That was hell...

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am 

Very good topic. Whenever I listen to bands with "urban" lyrical themes such as Lifelover, Age of Silence or Amesoeurs, I'm reminded of immense, grey and blurry city landscapes. Like being in the suburbs of NY, Paris or Stockholm. It's quite amazing. Also, when I travel through the country, folk/pagan bands such as Bergthron, Faun or Guahaioque are a must.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 am 

Can I relate? Definitely. I think of grindcore riffs whenever I see couples or strangers fighting downtown. (And yes, I think of breakdowns whenever the chick walks away from her man.) I think of and beatbox drum-and-bass beats whenever I pass a gaggle of crack dealers. The list goes on.

But I pretty much have a riff or an electronic bassline in my head at all times - so it's not that I see something that makes me think of metal more than metal attaches itself to wherever my focus turns.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:49 pm 

A kind of obvious one: Summoning + Lord of the Rings Movie/Book

BattleHeart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm 

I can relate.

Whenever I see a city's skyline at night I think of Power Metal, mostly Hibria and Rhapsody.

When I see a big stretch of water, TYR's Reign Smidur pops into my head. Every damn time. It's annoying.

greysnow wrote:
while Manowar behaved friendly and easy-going (e.g. joined the caterers and helped them peel potatoes),

That's a really great image

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:34 pm 

MapleKit wrote:
Kind of a weird topic I know, but this is something i do all the time. As you go about your life day to day do you find yourself thinking of certain bands or metal genres as you experience things?

For example, when I walk through nature or go to a park I often think of melodic bands or if I am in the city I am reminded of death metal. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's something I do all the time. I once went on this hiking trip and when i got to the top of the mountain and looked down at the scenery I instantly thought of the album Paradise Belongs to You by Saturnus because what I was seeing is what I imagine when I hear the album. Can anyone relate to this?

That relates to me perfectly. When I am happy, I think of bands like Iron Maiden and Manowar. When I am angry, I think about bands like Autopsy, Cryptopsy, and Cannibal Corpse. When sad, I think about Candlemass, and Ahab. It is common for me.

ROBL250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:52 pm 

Driving into the Welsh mountains or the Lake District the Satyricon song "To the Mountains" is always playing, walking down a dark path at night im usually playing some Burzum or Azrael and everytime Im looking at the stars through my telescope I have "In Abhorrence Dementia" playing.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:26 pm 

Usually songs tend to remind me of the places I was at/actions I was doing whenever I first heard them, or listened to them often while doing something/being somewhere. This includes stuff like Old Man's Child's Sacrifice of Vengeance and especially The Soul Receiver while walking to school and Metallica's The Unforgiven and especially Nothing Else Matters while playing GTA III and thinking about some people in particular.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:00 pm 

I generally agree with McCannFan's post. Music largely tends to be an experience of its own. But when I do associate it with things, it's either the things it's "obviously" meant to evoke - darkness, coldness, autumn, forests, wastelands, drunken mayhem - or memories of things I personally experienced while absorbing the music.

Sometimes I end up associating music I love with people/things/events I'd really prefer to forget. This can come close to ruining the music for me. I almost feel like I should resolve to keep my music an entirely private interest. "Hey, I remember so-and-so making such-and-such wiseass remark during this riff...that was kind of irritating!" "Hey, I played this song as part of my virginity-prolonging death metal presentation in speech class!" "Hey, what's-her-name, the one who confessed her infidelity via text message mere days after declaring her undying love for me...I bet she'd really like this song!"

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14 am 

Not really. But when I'm feeling tired in the morning at work, and want to wake up, I throw something fast and brutal into my diskman to wake me up. I basically just sit in front of a computer all day and don't have to use the phone, so I can listen to music all day long. When I'm feeling depressed, I'll listen to some depressing music, which in turn makes me feel better.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:33 am 

Well, I just always think about metal in general, and not any specific band or so. It is such a big part of my life that it occupies my mind almost constantly. I could do anything not related to metal, and still think about how good it could be to just listen to thrash or something.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

BigBen87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:26 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Well, I just always think about metal in general, and not any specific band or so. It is such a big part of my life that it occupies my mind almost constantly. I could do anything not related to metal, and still think about how good it could be to just listen to thrash or something.

Im with you on this one, I constantly have metal running through my head. Lol I have to be careful when Im drinking because I tend to like to sing (growl) the song in my head.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:12 pm 

BigBen87 wrote:
mjaeltbrand wrote:

Im with you on this one, I constantly have metal running through my head. Lol I have to be careful when Im drinking because I tend to like to sing (growl) the song in my head.

Haha, last time I was drunk me and my friends were singing(screaming) Enter Sandman. Even if I hate that song ;)
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 pm 

Put it this way, on Friday, I'll definitely be going 'AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! IT'S HALLOWEEN!!!!!!! do do do do do ''AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! IT'S HALLOWEEN!!!!'
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:05 pm 

Whenever I go to a place next to the ocean, I always think of Xasthur's "Walker of Dissonant Worlds" or Nachtmystium's "Seasick part I". The city actually reminds me of Zyklons "Transcendental War: Battle Between gods".

just a couple..

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:16 pm 

I only associate peaceful metal songs with certain landscapes. I can't really see myself describing a fight as Morbid Angel like or something along those lines.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:44 pm 

Funeral Doom while driving at night =epic.

Angry_Malmsteen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:08 am 

ENKC wrote:
I relate Judas Priest to StarCraft. You can't listen to a song like 'Hard as Iron' while watching aliens explode at the hands of Terran marines without it just fitting perfectly together.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nile makes for perfect zerg music. the intro of annihilation fo the wicked(the song, not the album) is a perfect example.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:58 am 

I'm actually a Protoss player. Perhaps there's a band out there that suits them perfectly? It would have to be something a bit mystical and ethereal. Power Metal perhaps?
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:05 am 

I'm actually a Protoss player. Perhaps there's a band out there that suits them perfectly? It would have to be something a bit mystical and ethereal. Power Metal perhaps?

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:07 pm 

Whenever I pass by a synagogue I always think of Grand Belial's Key.

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 am 

I was doing a crossword puzzle yesterday, and all I could think of for a four letter answer was PAIN or FEAR. The clue? "A great motivator". (The corect answer was HOPE.)

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:31 am 

This is really random but playing Banjo Kazooie on nintendo 64 reminds me of Fear Factory :scratch:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 am 

I often play videogames while listening to metal, so I feel like playing a certain game while listening to a certain album and viceversa. For example, when playing Aidin Chronicles (I think that's the name, it's been a few years) I am reminded of Opeth-Ghost Reveries. I got an even more random example than the Banjo Kazooie-Fear Factory dude, but listening to Leviathan makes me think about Wii Sports(!). Also try listening to Isis-In the Abscence of Truth while driving on a highway at night. Just don't fall peacefully asleep on the wheel.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 am 

vondskapens_makt wrote:
Whenever I pass by a synagogue I always think of Grand Belial's Key.

Shitagogue :lol:

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:30 am 

I'm Zerg right now, because I'm horrific at the other races :O Neways, there are some songs that I listen to while playing Starcraft and it makes me better at that. But more on the topic while I'm walking somewhere I don't really associate the music with what I see. I just hear the music in my head while I'm sitting on the bus, or I'm waiting and I'm not in a rush.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next