Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm 

Dechripastocide wrote:
This all reminds me of a group I came across on lastfm: http://www.last.fm/group/I+hate+metal

I agree with number 3 for the most part, but #2 is just downright illogical. Take note of the typical "rollingstone critic's taste" from the group leader.

I don't know if this group is completely serious. It is pretty comical nonetheless. Stereotypes are funny - just laugh at them.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:46 pm 

It's funny that metal bands are dominating that group's charts.

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:07 pm 

And Nile is leading with Kreator behind... Ironic.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:40 pm 

Dechripastocide wrote:
This all reminds me of a group I came across on lastfm: http://www.last.fm/group/I+hate+metal

I agree with number 3 for the most part, but #2 is just downright illogical. Take note of the typical "rollingstone critic's taste" from the group leader.

I wonder if I should make a "I hate the 'i hate metal' group"... :lol:
Though it seems old and out dated, plus the music on that list is 90% metal anyways with some random Hillary Duff pictures :gay:

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 am 

God I fucking hate it when I see people/groups on last.fm or YouTube or whatever with names like "IHateMetal" who go around trying to convince others of the error of their ways with shitty videos.

http://au.youtube.com/user/JustAlex07
http://au.youtube.com/user/IHATEROCKNMETAL
http://au.youtube.com/user/sugarspook45

And so on.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:40 am 

Interesting how the IHATEROCKNMETAL guy claims to respect others tatses, but all his video say how metal is crap.

I mean, if he want to make videos that say metal is crap fair enough, but does he have to be a hypocrite about it?

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 am 

Oflick wrote:
Interesting how the IHATEROCKNMETAL guy claims to respect others tatses, but all his video say how metal is crap.

I mean, if he want to make videos that say metal is crap fair enough, but does he have to be a hypocrite about it?

From what I gather, he is saying that he hates metal, but if you happen to like metal, then he respects the fact that you do. Respecting musical preferences and sharing musical preferences are two different things.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 am 

He's an idiot, there's no making sense of what he says.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
From what I gather, he is saying that he hates metal, but if you happen to like metal, then he respects the fact that you do. Respecting musical preferences and sharing musical preferences are two different things.

Makes sense, but he still seems like an asshole.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 am 

Oflick wrote:

But if you look at his videos, a lot are making fun of metalheads and seems to be under the impression 97% of the world hates metal.

I don't know, he just seemed hypocritical.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am 

That was my point in posting his profile. Most of those retards who set out to "kill metal" or somesuch are hypocries. All of them are idiots.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
That was my point in posting his profile. Most of those retards who set out to "kill metal" or somesuch are hypocries. All of them are idiots.

Perhaps they're just trolls. If so, they could be forgiven (partially). But then again, maybe I just assume that because I still have some part of me that foolishly believes that most normal humans can't possibly be THAT retarded.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 am 

I've been clashing with Internet retards for many a year, and it's left me very jaded in regards to the levels of idiocy some people drop to.

Is it any wonder Scientology is so successful?

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 am 

Dreadful world we live in eh? Heh. Anyways, in regard to the close-minded metalhead stereotype, am I right to assume that the stereotype stems primarily from the internet idiots that foolishly proclaim metal to be the greatest genre and consider all other genres crap? I guess this stereotype existed before the Internet age, and if so, then how did it come to back then?

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 am 

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a very close-minded metalhead as metal is pretty much all I listen to, besides a taste in classical. What's made me this way is all the brain dead general populace that believes metal and their fans are a dirty unwelcome blot on the face of society. Hell my ex-girlfriend's MySpace page reads and I quote, "I listen to everything EXCEPT metal." It's people like that that make me appreciate metal even more. Pop, country, rap, it all sounds relatively samey, whereas I can listen to all the different subgenres of metal (except metalcore and nu-metal obviously) and feel diverse.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:24 am 

Yeah, I can't find any genre with as much diversity as metal, but then, people probably assume metal metal is generic for the same reasons you consider pop, country, and rap generic. They're not the same, diversity-wise, but I suppose you can understand what I'm getting at.

Really, I have no real problem with people having strict preferences, but it is just plain retarded when someone dismisses everything else that's out there simply because it's not what they like.

Some people have brought it up already, but does anyone here feel that listening to metal has opened them up to genres of music they wouldn't have listened to otherwise? I know I feel that way.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:26 am 

I probably would have never gotten into noise music or extreme forms of music if it weren't for metal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 am 

Yes, metal got me interested in oldschool hardcore and crust.

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 am 

The_Emo_Hater wrote:
whereas I can listen to all the different subgenres of metal (except metalcore and nu-metal obviously) and feel diverse.

God damn. Why do people here have to let everybody know how grounded they are?

Quote:
(Except metalcore and numetal... Obviously).

Is this some conclusion you drew yourself?.. or is this a conclusion you have acquired from the masses?

I like this board.. But please.. grow a fucking spine.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am 

Zetan wrote:
The_Emo_Hater wrote:
whereas I can listen to all the different subgenres of metal (except metalcore and nu-metal obviously) and feel diverse.

Quote:

Is this some conclusion you drew yourself?.. or is this a conclusion you have acquired from the masses?

It's nice that you double quoted the less interesting part of his post and made it into some sort of insult to his character. But shut the fuck up please.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 am 

Oflick wrote:
But if you look at his videos, a lot are making fun of metalheads and seems to be under the impression 97% of the world hates metal.

I don't know, he just seemed hypocritical.

Nah you're right, mate - I wasn't able to watch the videos when I posted that message before (university computers have Flash players disabled), so I was just going from what his profile page said. Judging from what you've said, though, he does seem like a hypocrite, and a bit of a tosser as well.

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Some people have brought it up already, but does anyone here feel that listening to metal has opened them up to genres of music they wouldn't have listened to otherwise? I know I feel that way.

Certainly. I would honestly have to say that getting into metal has, more than anything else, taught me the value of inquisitiveness. It has kindled in me a tireless desire to learn of more and more and more about music, and to seek positive aural stimulation wherever it is be found, ever mindful of (and embracing) the fact that "positive aural stimulation" is a highly fluid concept.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am 

Dechripastocide wrote:
Zetan wrote:
The_Emo_Hater wrote:

Quote:

It's nice that you double quoted the less interesting part of his post and made it into some sort of insult to his character. But shut the fuck up please.

There was an interesting part?

All that said, then post: "except for".. Why? Because you are bothered about what other people here think, obviously.

I don't like black metal, but I don't feel the need to post: "except for black metal".

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 am 

Zetan wrote:
There was an interesting part?

All that said, then post: "except for".. Why? Because you are bothered about what other people here think, obviously.

I don't like black metal, but I don't feel the need to post: "except for black metal".

No, he isn't bothered by what other people think. He is only guilty of stating the obvious: most metalcore and all numetal is not accepted onto this website.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 pm 

Certainly. I would honestly have to say that getting into metal has, more than anything else, taught me the value of inquisitiveness. It has kindled in me a tireless desire to learn of more and more and more about music, and to seek positive aural stimulation wherever it is be found, ever mindful of (and embracing) the fact that "positive aural stimulation" is a highly fluid concept.

LOL. "Positive aural stimulation" eh? That phrase in particular and just your entire post in general reminded me of what my English teacher has been teaching my class recently. She's a very spiritual person, and recently we've been discussing about the healing effects of music and poetry. Very intriguing stuff. I think it's safe to say I too understand that inquisitiveness and desire to seek more in music.

Dechripastocide wrote:
No, he isn't bothered by what other people think. He is only guilty of stating the obvious: most metalcore and all numetal is not accepted onto this website.

Perhaps he is guilty of stating the obvious, but he then he's also guilty of stating it in a derisive manner that really isn't necessary in the discussion here. Yeah, this is a thread about close-minded metalheads, but don't go around flaunting that quality of close-mindedness (assuming you have it) and don't go confirming that stereotype either. I think the point Zetan is getting at is that though we may respect the fact that someone is close-minded, we don't exactly want to hear him bitch about the stuff he dislikes either.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 pm 

Zetan wrote:
The_Emo_Hater wrote:

Quote:

My hatred for the two subgenres mentioned above stem from having to hear that bullshit all the time at work on the radio. I have absolutely no use for rap in metal or whiny clean vocals a la Killbitch. So therefore, no I didn't "acquire" this mindset from the masses. Guess my closemindedness came through on my previous post when stating that I didn't listen to metalcore and Korn-metal.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:36 pm 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Perhaps he is guilty of stating the obvious, but he then he's also guilty of stating it in a derisive manner that really isn't necessary in the discussion here. Yeah, this is a thread about close-minded metalheads, but don't go around flaunting that quality of close-mindedness (assuming you have it) and don't go confirming that stereotype either. I think the point Zetan is getting at is that though we may respect the fact that someone is close-minded, we don't exactly want to hear him bitch about the stuff he dislikes either.

I think you're reading way too much into it, here's the original post:
Zetan wrote:
The_Emo_Hater wrote:

Quote:

Who's the one bitching?

AltoVariago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:05 pm 

goddamn korn released their debute in 1994 and still keep causing problems and fights in the metal community eheheh

its a sort of achievement

ps i dont know if it is worse stating obvious things ("disliking" on this forum numetal and nowadays metalcore) or bothering people for saying/repeating such irrivelant statements...

Himmlisch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm 

When someone asks what music do I like (although He figures out because of my appearence) I answer principally all kind of Rock. At work my mates have noticed I listened a wide range of genres I really like too:(Prog, EBM, Funk, Trance, Jazz, Bossa Nova, Surf, Psychobilly) although Metal prevails, from Death and Thrash to Power and Heavy. This way some mates and Me who are into these non-metal genres have aproached and talked about the music that link us. It´s cool because then we can share or recommend bands among us: non metal for me and metal for them. I love when I can share metal to others. And always I listen to recomendations from anyone and from almost any genre, of course I won´t like all....but sometimes there are surprises....

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:37 pm 

I'm one of the close-minded metal fanatics who say that metal > all. There is a reason to that... If you listen to the mainstream pop today, the melody is driven by the vocals, and the "instruments" are its support. In Metal, usually the music is instrument-driven, and the vocals are merely add-on. This is why we can have instrumental black metal (Vorgrow, Blutklinge, Forest of Fog...), instrumental progressive metal (Sepia Dreamer) and stuff like that, but a pop song would be nothing without the vocals. Although most pop singers nowadays are talentless, compare Britney Spears to Elisabeth Toriser (of Dargaard).

I like instrumental music, and the melody of metal aren't as cheerful as most mainstream pop that are about love and happiness.

Also, whoever who says "I don't like metal because it is Satanist" are just as close-minded idiots as those who say "Black Metal ist krieg, all others are shit, Burzum ftw!". Metal has so many sub-genres that you must like AT LEAST ONE. I hate progressive because the vocals are ALWAYS whiny, I have listened to many and there has been no exception. However, that's just one sub-genre out of the folk black death doom progressive mains, while there are more than at least 40 different subgenres!

So if you want to achieve your goal, then achieve that goal. You know the direction. If you want to create a Heavy metal album with all your soul in it, then it doesn't have to include Blues, Jazz, Classical, Pop or something. It can be straight-forward Heavy Metal, if that's what you want to create. It is your creation, you decide what you want. If you want to experiment, then experiment. If you want to create something defined, then create that. That's my opinion.

DeathMetalProgRocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm 

You seem more focused on one genre rather than close minded to other genres. Having a band in which each person is trying to pull the music in a different direction is not always a negative but its not really the way to go if you want something in particular. You want to make a metal band so you want other band members to want the same thing. That makes sense and seems more like you are determined to play metal than unwilling to care about other genres.
I mean if someone who liked funk wanted to be your bassist but also wanted the same thing as you and you still threw them out of the band just because they liked funk that would be close minded. But the idea that you want everyone to have the same intention makes sense.
If band members didn't aim for the same thing every time a metal band came around there would be some fucktard member thinking "Hmmmm maybe we should write a power pop song..."

Zetan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 pm 

[edit]

For the sake of getting banned.. I will shut the fuck up.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:45 am 

DeathMetalProgRocker wrote:
You seem more focused on one genre rather than close minded to other genres. Having a band in which each person is trying to pull the music in a different direction is not always a negative but its not really the way to go if you want something in particular. You want to make a metal band so you want other band members to want the same thing. That makes sense and seems more like you are determined to play metal than unwilling to care about other genres.
I mean if someone who liked funk wanted to be your bassist but also wanted the same thing as you and you still threw them out of the band just because they liked funk that would be close minded. But the idea that you want everyone to have the same intention makes sense.
If band members didn't aim for the same thing every time a metal band came around there would be some fucktard member thinking "Hmmmm maybe we should write a power pop song..."

Indeed. I'm glad you see that and aren't like some people I meet in real life who seem to be very anti-metal and all. I wouldn't care if a bassist had the same goal but happened to also like Funk. But the main reason I'd be against getting a funk bassist is because I already tried that and he totally ruined our sound. I want a bassist that can just keep the rhythm and make everything basically just sound better. I like the bassist from Armored Saint; that's the kind I'm looking for.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 am 

I think if you're making metal, it's best to remain pure, elitist and close-minded. Sure, by incorporating external influences you might end up with something cool like Akercocke, but usually you'll end up as I Wrestled a Bear Once.

agentsteel666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:59 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
I think if you're making metal, it's best to remain pure, elitist and close-minded. Sure, by incorporating external influences you might end up with something cool like Akercocke, but usually you'll end up as I Wrestled a Bear Once.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with being closed-minded if you look at it that way. I think I remember a time actually when I was telling someone that one of the benefits of being closed minded is that it makes you a more eccentric person, i.e. being focused on one specific goal and hence getting a lot done whilst throwing away the garbage that gets in your way and slows you down.

Being too open minded can make you become average at everything, rather than brilliant at one thing. I'd choose the latter, but that's just me.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 am 

Yes, I'd say there's no reason to be open-minded just for the sake of it. I listen almost exclusively to metal, with just a bit of classic/hard rock, classical and punk on the side. It's not that I'm not open to other styles, and I do listen to a smidge of jazz and blues, it's just that metal is my favourite style by far.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with being closed-minded if you look at it that way. I think I remember a time actually when I was telling someone that one of the benefits of being closed minded is that it makes you a more eccentric person, i.e. being focused on one specific goal and hence getting a lot done whilst throwing away the garbage that gets in your way and slows you down.

Being too open minded can make you become average at everything, rather than brilliant at one thing. I'd choose the latter, but that's just me.

I understand completely where your coming from, but I'm still getting the idea that your saying to ignore everything else unrelated to your goal. I mean, you could focus solely on metal, but still be open to non-metal ideas. or was that what you were saying?

Quote:
I mean if someone who liked funk wanted to be your bassist but also wanted the same thing as you and you still threw them out of the band just because they liked funk that would be close minded.

Off topic, but isn't something like that the reason the original Sex Pistols bassist got kicked out, because he like something no one else liked?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:08 am 

Yep. Glen Matlock was his name and the band he liked was the Beatles. Retarded reason to kick someone out of a band as the Beatles have done some damn fine work and the replacement bassist, the famous Sid Vicious, was appalingly bad.

However, it's not true. Supposedly he just left, and the Beatles story was made up as a joke.

agentsteel666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 am 

"I understand completely where your coming from, but I'm still getting the idea that your saying to ignore everything else unrelated to your goal. I mean, you could focus solely on metal, but still be open to non-metal ideas. or was that what you were saying?"

Well, I don't think that I'd necessarily be closed off entirely to a non-metal idea, because as someone earlier pointed out mixing together different styles can bring out the best in people...(Kinda like Mustaine and Freidman were always fighting about what their music should sound like, and well, they're music came out great)...but see I'm a very specific and picky person when it comes to music; I tend to discard many ideas and only stick with one certain specific sound; that's how I'm like when I listen to music and that's usually how I'm like when I play, usually.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:22 am 

Oflick wrote:
I understand completely where your coming from, but I'm still getting the idea that your saying to ignore everything else unrelated to your goal. I mean, you could focus solely on metal, but still be open to non-metal ideas. or was that what you were saying?

I can't speak for agentsteel666, but yeah. You could remain open to non- metal ideas, just make sure that if you're using them within a metal context, they actually sound good and make sense. Don't furiously stroke your own ego and throw in a polka break and the Mexican hat dance because it's "progressive and avant-garde", or for the sake of getting a good review at Pitchfork.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
just make sure that if you're using them within a metal context, they actually sound good and make sense. Don't furiously stroke your own ego and throw in a polka break and the Mexican hat dance because it's "progressive and avant-garde", or for the sake of getting a good review at Pitchfork.

Yeah, exactly.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next