Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am 

MegaHassan wrote:

Rust In Peace is total thrash. Holy Wars, Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, Poison was the cure, Rust In PEace and Tornado of Souls are all thrash songs.

I'm not sure. It's been a while since I listened to it, but I remember not thinking of it as a total thrash album.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:41 am 

It has more variety as compared to other thrash albums, and I'd go far as to call it Power/Thrash. But its thrash for sure. Its thrash in the true sense of the word.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:45 am 

as for the most overlooked albums in thrash metal I'd say

GAMMACIDE-victims of science
INSECTICIDE-unreleased album
FUCK OFF from Spain
DISTRUZIONE-Endogena

They are really good but so overlooked...

Apart from those, I love the "classics" of this genre and some more obscure gems like ONSLAUGHT- The Force, BLESSED DEATH, ZNOWHITE, HOLY MOSES and many many others...you can have a look to my reviews to have an idea...

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm 

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Anthrax - Among the Living
Sepultura - Arise
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Sadus - A Vision of Misery

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:19 pm 

Remember guys, rexx didn't want this to become another list thread...

Necrodeath - Fragments of Insanity: While not as violent as their debut, this album contains an avalanche of awesome riffs that would've made the guys from Sepultura crap their pants. Gone are the blackened atmosphere and the band now sounds like a total Death/Thrash machine. The only problem that remains are that the production is rather thin. But overall a fucking good thrash album.

The_Corinthian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:45 pm 

I know I already posted once, but where is the love for Testament! That has to be my personal favorite Thrash band of all time. Everything they release is pure gold.
The Corinthian is a creation of Dream. His most notable physical feature is his lack of eyes: in their place, two rows of small jagged teeth line each eye socket. The Corinthian often wears sunglasses to cover this up.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm 

Some more thrash albums I think are some of the best ever:
Holy Moses' Finished With The Dogs, imo the catchiest thrash album ever.

Mekong Delta's The Music of Erich Zann, really good progressive thrash that doesn't screw around as much as the other prog-thrash bands do.

Aspid's Extravastion, pretty technical thrash with a lot of riffs and aggression.

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:43 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
secretninja wrote:
Megadeth's Rust In Peace. Sure, maybe not their most aggressive, but as stated earlier, technical and awesome.

And c'mon, just listen to Hangar 18, or Holy Wars, and tell me you don't love that.

I'll take Rust over Peace any day. Peace is too progressive for me. It doesn't really even sound like thrash. Except for Devil's Island. That song is kind of amazing.

Hehe, for a second I thought you were talking about the album title.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

hole_in_your_chest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:14 pm 

Well, considering most of the obvious ones have been done to death, I'll throw in:

Onslaught – Power From Hell

Hugely influential in England, amazing riffs, and very decent production. It's got a very dirty and dark sound because of the guitar tuning, the vocals remind me of Cronos, but I prefer Mahoney's. Think of Motorhead combined with Venom, what else can you get but a great album?

Vulcano – Bloody Vengance

This is one I'm not entirely sure belongs on this list, but the South American blackendeathrash scene deserves more mention, and who better for a symbol then Vulcano. Terrible production, but the intesity and aggression make up for that, and the poor lyrics. For fans of Sarcofargo or Death Yell.

Meliah Rage - Kill to Survive

Perhaps not groundbreaking, but one of my favorite thrashy speed metal albums, along with Indestroy's self-titled.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:31 pm 

Venom - Welcome to Hell
In my humble opinion, the first thrash metal album. What it lacks in talent, it more than makes up for in speed and agression.

Venom - At War With
Same as above but a little more talented.

Gwar - War Party
Great, great album.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 pm 

A few more not yet mentioned....apart from the obvious

Sacred Reich - Ignorance - Also cant believe this has not been mentioned yet, every song is a killer hard thrash with great drumming, would have been up there in the eightys and still is

Paradox - Excellent German melodic speed/thrash, can not pick one of their four albums thought as they all slay.

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction, they were onced tipped to be the next Metallica but never came through, still a great debut album, love Matt's destinctive singing, think he is still one of the best.

Gothic Slam - anyone remember these guys two great over looked classics, Just A Face In The Crowd was an album I still give regular spins, fast and catchy.

Sabbat - Dreamweaver - already mentioned but not enough, this album rules, one of the first pagan metal bands and one of the only pure thrash pagan bands, epic as fuck longs and very technical every song is a killer and worth checking out.

A few more forgtten classics -
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil - great technical melodic thrash
Laaz Rockit - Annihilation Principal - their best in my opinion worth it for Fire In The Hole and a great cover off Holiday In Cambodia alone!

I too find it very difficult to name the top five with so many great albums out there, just wanted to mention these classics that have been overlooked the list could go on for a long time though, my most listened to thrashers in the past would def. be Among The Living and Bonded By Blood, these two albums had the biggest impact on me in the 80's tbh.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm 

My take on Rust In Peace:

I can't deny that musically, this blistering thing of an album is one of thrash's greatest. The music is tight: Riffs and rhythm section are well structured and work perfectly together. Most importantly, there's real music and melody... not just mindless pounding with solos that go nowhere (Otoh, I find most of Slayer's solos to be excessive wankery even though their riffs are good... yes, even on RiB).

The only downside this album has for me is that the overall sound is a bit too thin. I like my metal to have a deep and full crushing tone... not the thin high-pitched quality that this album leans towards.

Pros outweigh the cons greatly though; and at 40 minutes, the length is perfect... unlike most albums nowadays that get tiring long before they end.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 am 

Well since I have done a whole lot of talking, I figured it was time I presented my list.

Accu§er - The Conviction

Anthrax - A Fistful Of Metal

Artillery - By Inheritance

Assassin - The Upcoming Terror

Atrophy - Socialized Hate

D.R.I. - Thrash Zone

Death Angel - The Ultra Violence

Deathwish - Demon Preacher

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence

Devastation - Signs Of Life

Evildead - Annihilation Of Civilization

Flotsam And Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

Hypnosia - Violent Intensity EP

Massacra - Final Holocaust

Metal Church - Metal Church

Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death

Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Overkill - Under The Influence

Protector - Misanthropy EP

Razor - Shotgun Justice

Razor - Open Hostility

Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Sacrifice - Forward To Termination

Sadus - Death To Posers Demo

Sepultura - Morbid Visions

Slayer - Haunting The Chapel EP

Sodom - M-16

Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die

Tankard - Zombie Attack

Testament - Demonic (fuck you, it's the best thing they've ever done)

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Wehrmacht - Biermächt

Whiplash - Power And Pain

Znöwhite - Act Of God

Ugh, shit. I started with the best ones, and then I realized, there a lot of best ones.

I swear, if I hear one, "why the hell isn't (insert popular thrash band/album here) on your list?", you're getting fucking throat punched.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:26 am 

Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death is nearly unparalleled in my book. But other people have already sung the praises of this album, so I'll just say... "ditto."

But for my next pick, I'll go with something a wee bit more modern: Nocturnal Breed's Fields of Rot. This album absolutely destroys everything forever. Riff after riff after riff after riff after solo after solo, and yet somehow still entirely memorable. An amazingly talented vocalist (such a thing rarely seen in modern thrash, sadly), a drummer who can do more than keep the thrash beat, and a crystal-clear production with room for the thunder. I have no qualms about calling this one of the best thrash albums ever made.

Demolition Hammer: Tortured Existence. Granted, I love EoV as well... but TE just clicks a bit more with me. Can't really say why, just that I find TE's songs more memorable.

Slayer: Show No Mercy. To me, this is Slayer's finest. It actually feels like they're trying to write thrash songs instead of "RARGH LET'S SEE HOW FAST WE CAN PLAY."

Overkill: Feel The Fire. Four words:
ROTTEN!

TO!

THE!

CORE!
Of course, I probably chose this one over the other wonderful Overkill albums for nostalgia factor, being my first exposure to the band. But who's going to deny the greatness of this album?

And in a few years, this spot will likely go to either Diamond Plate's debut or sophomore album. Just watch. Any band that can upstage Overkill live deserves attention.

Honorable mentions go to Grip Inc.'s Incorporated and Voivod's Nothingface for being awesome but not quite thrash enough. Also Sabbat and Paradox would likely have a space here had I known about them a few years ago. The albums are still growing on me (though I do love them).

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:55 am 

ride the lightning is the best thrash album ever. Not the heaviest or with the most riffs, but it's still pretty heavy nonetheless, and it's unbelievably catchy.

Darkness Descends would be close. It's pretty much the exact opposite of RTL, though. Heaps of riffs, extremely heavy, but very un-catchy. Oh well.

Rust in Peace has some amazing songs. Well, 4 of them. If the whole of the album was up there with Poison, Tornado, Holy Wars and the Title track it'd be up there, but as it stands it isn't.

Those would be my top 3. I'd also put KEA and AJFA in my top 5 somewhere, but I have no idea where. Oh, and Heathen's '89 record would be in their somewhere, whatever it's called. It's kind of obvious but when it comes to thrash I'll take catchiness and melody over "HEY GUYS HERE'S TWENTY RIFFS IN ONE SONG" any day.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 am 

I'll name the Top 5 that I think are somewhat underated:

1. Nuclear Assault - Game Over:

I'm not huge on more hardcore sounding thrash, but here it just worked so perfectly. From the 30 second long pieces like "Hang the Pope" and "My America", to the Epic Album closer "Brain Death", This is one truly fantastic and sadly underrated thrash album.

2. Whiplash - Power and Pain:

There isn't much variety on here, it's all just straight ahead thrash, but it's good thrash. Listening to it, it's not hard to see why they never got the attention of the other Thrash bands, but it still an awesome album from start till finish

3. Whiplash - Ticket to Mayhem:

Not as good as it's predecessor, but still a fun ride (That kind of works as a pun if you've seen the cover, just felt the need to point that out, even though I'm a hypocrite because I normally hate that). Much more variety this time round, Can't say I'm particularly fond of how they opened and closed the album (Would've been more powerful if it was shorter in my opinion), but overall, another underrated classic.

4. Dark Angel - Time Does not heal:

I guess this one's not really as underrated as the others, but it definitely was hurt by being released when Thrash popularity was dying down (Or already had in some respects). ...And Justice for all has nothing on the time changes in this album, and while this means that like AJFA, a lot of the songs on the album have changes simply because "They can", it is highly entertaining.

5. Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction:

Lebanon has got to be one of the greatest Thrash songs ever. End of story. The rest of the album could be made up of Limp Bizkit songs (before they existed though) and still be great because of Lebanon. Thankfully though, the rest of the album is very good. While I don't think any of the other songs match Lebanon, they all are good in their own way, especially blood, death, hatred.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 am 

caspian wrote:
ride the lightning is the best thrash album ever. Not the heaviest or with the most riffs, but it's still pretty heavy nonetheless, and it's unbelievably catchy.

Darkness Descends would be close. It's pretty much the exact opposite of RTL, though. Heaps of riffs, extremely heavy, but very un-catchy. Oh well.

Rust in Peace has some amazing songs. Well, 4 of them. If the whole of the album was up there with Poison, Tornado, Holy Wars and the Title track it'd be up there, but as it stands it isn't.

Those would be my top 3. I'd also put KEA and AJFA in my top 5 somewhere, but I have no idea where. Oh, and Heathen's '89 record would be in their somewhere, whatever it's called. It's kind of obvious but when it comes to thrash I'll take catchiness and melody over "HEY GUYS HERE'S TWENTY RIFFS IN ONE SONG" any day.

Ride The Lightening is unbelievably strong in my book. It is incredibly heavy, and it has a very distinct 80s production job that really adds to it's awesomeness. I also thought Hetfield's vocals were his best on that record, too.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 am 

I haven't seen any mention of Epidemic or Sacrifice and they both at the very least deserve a listen or two.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:36 am 

You obviously didn't read my list, dude.

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
You obviously didn't read my list, dude.

Hehe, I missed your post bro. I was actually thinking about "Apocalypse Inside" but I'll have to check out the other one you listed. As for Epidemic, "Decameron" is awesome. It's a shame they're so overlooked.

List is spot on. :thumbsup:

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:50 pm 

Sadus – Illusions: Although at first I was tempted to, I would not go as far as to say that this album is what thrash “should” be, because I think part of its strength is that portrayal of pure extremity that is not so easily achieved by just any band. This album is just absolutely abrasive, aggressive, and the kick to the teeth I often look for in thrash, and Sadus hammer their aggression through every single aspect of the music right down to song length. Darren Travis’ vocals sound like pure venom literally being spat in the face of all opposition, and every single word he spits out is like a jab to the face. Prime examples of this being Certain Death, Sadus Attack, Torture, and Twisted Face. When Travis says “there’s an evil in your brain/driving you fuckin’ insane”, Sadus is precisely the vehicle helping their listeners unleash that “evil”. The rest of the band pretty much follows his lead, their musicianship highlighting the insistent, immediate nature of his vocal style right down to short song lengths that only add to the urgency of the whole album. Listening to this album also never fails to blow my mind when looking at the direction they took with their latest offering. I mean, to me its even more mind-boggling than contrasting Metallica’s older and newer works. Sadus really were a veritable in your face band, and its disturbing how that aggression finally deteriorated into the pure shit that was Out for Blood.

Morbid Saint – Spectrum of Death: This album is just as intense as Sadus’ Illusions, but in a different way. Where Sadus makes me want to go pick a fight simply for the pleasure of hitting someone, Spectrum of Death just makes you want to generally cause havoc and paint the town red, so to speak, and Lind’s vocals have the commanding presence to provoke and to lead that havoc. The band is overall quite methodic in their delivery, and Spectrum of Death is not an example of sporadic, unorganized aggression; the band quickly prove themselves to be great song writers and excellent musicians, displaying their skill in songs like Assassin and Crying for Death as well as their ability to produce unrelenting songs like Lock Up Your Children and Beyond the Gates of Hell. Where Illusions gives the impression of being the product of unbridled chaos and rage, Spectrum of Death gives the impression that the devil himself is leading the band in an organized dismantling of human structure.

Exodus – Bonded By Blood: Honestly, I think one of the main reasons I love this album so much is because of Baloff’s vocals and the way they fit the lyrics. As much as I do like Souza’s vocals, I don’t think anyone can sing Bonded By Blood, Exodus, and Metal Command (probably my all-time favourite, the opening riff inducing immediate, reactionary headbanging) quite like Baloff. When Baloff belts out “bangers take your stand and obey our metal command!” you can do nothing but fucking obey!:P Baloff aside, the musicianship on this album is great, great solos, ridiculously addictive riffs, and an excellent performance on Hunting’s part. I’m not sure what else to say about this album other than that, for me, this is thrash.

Destruction – Eternal Devastation/Mad Butcher EP: It should probably be noted that I only have the 1988 Steamhammer re-release of this album which includes the Mad Butcher EP with it. As such, I tend to take both the full-length and EP into account, and its safe to say that both the full-length and EP are my favourite offerings from Destruction. Where the EP is concerned, I think my love of it is mostly influenced by two songs: Mad Butcher and Last Judgement. Mike Sifringer’s soloing on Last Judgement is what really grabs me. As for Eternal Devastation, it’s a great speed-driven album but not senselessly so. The whole album is guilty of, what are for me, some of the more addictive riffs in thrash (Curse the Gods, Confound Games, United by Hatred), not to mention more great soloing by Sifringer (Confound Games once more). Not to mention some of Schmier’s best offerings of his trademark falsettos :D

I’m undecided on my fifth, I’m not sure whether to choose Kreator’s Pleasure to Kill, Dark Angel’s Darkness Descends, or Death Angel’s The Ultra-Violence (something to do with the drool-inducing title track and awesome gang shouts in songs like Kill As One, and, actually, for similar reasons that I love Eternal Devastation).

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm 

Megadeth - Rust In Peace. Amazing guitar work, particularly regarding rhythm. Catchy but aggressive songs, and decent diversity within the album and the songs.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning. Far superior to MoP, in my opinion. Sure, there are some non-thrash songs on it, but overall it just kicks ass. Fight Fire with Fire is one of the best intro songs to any album.

Destruction - Eternal Devestation. Only heard this the other day, but it completely blew me away. As someone else said, just amazing riffs from start to finish here. And while the vocals definitely get some time getting used to, they add to the overall menacing attitude of the album.

Slayer - Reign in Blood. Guitars? Awesome. Drums? Insane. Bass? Shockingly audible. Vocals? Perfect. Production? Unequalled. It's just perfect, one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through without having to skip a song.

Annihilator - Alice in Hell/King of the Kill. I can't choose, but great fun thrashy songs throughout on both.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:31 pm 

I can't narrow my list down. I really, can't. I tried, but every time I try to, my head just explodes because all of those albums are amazing.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:47 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I can't narrow my list down. I really, can't. I tried, but every time I try to, my head just explodes because all of those albums are amazing.

It is hard to narrow it down, I agree. Personally, I started off with albums that off the top of my head tend to get my blood pumping by merely thinking about them. I also tried to avoid looking at other people's lists...after posting mine looking at yours demonstrated how many I would also count as some of my top albums (Tankard, Overkill, Assassin, Vio-Lence, Nuclear Assault to name a few artists I would have included). I think you just need to sporadically choose five without giving it much thought, even though afterwards you'll still feel like you missed mentioning some great ones...kind of like this post does :ugh:

KILL_EM_ALL_JOE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 pm 

Cyclone Temple-I Hate Therefore I Am

Greg Fulton's lyrics and riffs are great and Brian Troch's voice makes this release just amazing.

Tortue-Storm Alert

The musicianship alone makes this album great and the few goofy lyrics are the icing on the cake (for me at least).

DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm 

screamingstatue wrote:
Slayer - Reign in Blood. Guitars? Awesome. Drums? Insane. Bass? Shockingly audible. Vocals? Perfect. Production? Unequalled. It's just perfect, one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through without having to skip a song.

I like Reign In Blood as much as the next dude, heck, it's probably my pick for the best thrash album ever as well.
But the bass is not audible. I've tried, I really have, and the riffs are indiscernable. The bass is non existant, even on a bass heavy soundsystem like mine. But that doesn't really matter at all (:

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:35 am 

DrSharK wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

I like Reign In Blood as much as the next dude, heck, it's probably my pick for the best thrash album ever as well.
But the bass is not audible. I've tried, I really have, and the riffs are indiscernable. The bass is non existant, even on a bass heavy soundsystem like mine. But that doesn't really matter at all (:

Eh, but still more audible than And Justice For All's "bass".

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 am 

A friend from another forum made a top 40 list of his own. I think it's quite good:

"40. TESTAMENT (USA) - THE LEGACY (1987)
39. HEATHEN (USA) - BREAKING THE SILENCE (1987)
38. HOLY TERROR (USA) - TERROR AND SUBMISSION (1987)
37. DARKNESS (GERMANY) - DEATH SQUAD (1987)
36. VIO-LENCE (USA) - ETERNAL NIGHTMARE (1988)
35. SLAUGHTER (CANADA) - STRAPPADO (1986)
34. SEPULTURA (BRAZIL) - SCHIZOPHRENIA (1987)
33. DESTRUCTOR (USA) - MAXIMUM DESTRUCTION (1985)
32. ASSASSIN (GERMANY) - THE UPCOMING TERROR (1986)
31. NECRODEATH (ITALY) - INTO THE MACABRE (1987)
30. BLESSED DEATH (USA) - KILL OR BE KILLED (1986)
29. DEMOLITION HAMMER (USA) - TORTURED EXISTENCE (1990)
28. ARTILLERY (DENMARK) - TERROR SQUAD (1987)
27. AGGRESSION (CANADA) - THE FULL TREATMENT (1987)
26. MORSURE (FRANCE) - ACCELERATION PROCESS (1985)
25. EVILDEAD (USA) - ANNIHILATION OF CIVILIZATION (1989)
24. OVERTHROW (CANADA) - WITHIN SUFFERING (1990)
23. MORBID SAINT (BRAZIL) - SPECTRUM OF DEATH (1989)
22. MINOTAUR (GERMANY) - POWER OF DARKNESS (1988)
21. MESSIAH (SWITZERLAND) - HYMN TO ABREMALIN (1986)
20. BULLDOZER (ITALY) - THE FINAL SEPARATION (1986)
19. INSANITY (USA) - DEATH AFTER DEATH (1993)
18. INFERNAL MAJESTY (CANADA) - NONE SHALL DEFY (1987)
17. MUTILATOR (BRAZIL) - IMMORTAL FORCE (1987)
16. SLAYER (USA) - REIGN IN BLOOD (1986)
15. OVERKILL (USA) - FEEL THE FIRE (1985)
14. SEPULTURA (BRAZIL) - BENEATH THE REMAINS (1989)
13. DESTRUCTION (GERMANY) - INFERNAL OVERKILL (1985)
12. SODOM (GERMANY) - OBSESSED BY CRUELTY (1988)
11. SACRIFICE (CANADA) - TORMENT IN FIRE (1985)
10. SARCOFAGO (BRAZIL) - I.N.R.I. (1987)
09. DARK ANGEL (USA) - DARKNESS DESCENDS (1986)
08. EXODUS (USA) - BONDED BY BLOOD (1985)
07. HOLOCAUSTO (BRAZIL) - CAMPO DE EXTERMINIO (1987)
06. SACRIFICE (CANADA) - FORWARD TO TERMINATION (1987)
05. SODOM (GERMANY) - PERSECUTION MANIA (1987)
04. KREATOR (GERMANY) - PLEASURE TO KILL (1986)
03. VULCANO (BRAZIL) - BLOODY VENGEANCE (1986)
02. EXUMER (GERMANY) - POSSESSED BY FIRE (1986)
01. SLAYER (USA) - SHOW NO MERCY (1983)"

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:41 am 

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
This album has to be on my list if only because it's the album that got me into metal. The moment I heard the opening of the title track I never looked back. Indeed, I listened to it virtually every day in high school, simply because Metallica was the only real metal band I could find (and, trust me, I was looking). It has stood the test of time as far as I'm concerned.

Absu - Tara
I know that this isn't a pure thrash metal album but it is too fucking good not to mention here. It is as close to a perfect album as there is; driving riffs, absolutely fascinating drumming, and it's catchy as hell.

Nocturnal Breed - Fields of Rot
This album is insanely bad-ass. Every song sounds unique - no cookie-cutter shit here. Furthermore, every song is a non-stop thrash-fest of riffs. Thinking about this album, I just can't do it justice in a description.

Aside from that, I second the mentions of Reign in Blood, Spectrum of Death, Darkness Descends, Feel the Fire, Breaking the Silence, Tortured Existence and even Diamond Plate's demo.

Exhumed777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:28 pm 

no specific order:

Anthrax - Among The Living

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (their best album, doubtless)

Megadeth - Rust In Piece

Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse

Artillery - Fear of Tomorrow

~Guest 130416
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm 

thomash wrote:
This album is insanely bad-ass. Every song sounds unique - no cookie-cutter shit here. Furthermore, every song is a non-stop thrash-fest of riffs. Thinking about this album, I just can't do it justice in a description.

I wholeheartedly second this. Its blisteringly fast for the most part and the vocalist is an absolute maniac.

Another album I hold in the highest regard is Sauron's Thrash Assault. Its utterly dirty music that contains the essence of blackened thrash. It’s a ferocious thrash attack that has excellent riffs and well done solos. It’s not incredibly technical, but extremely well constructed and every note is just perfect. There is actually a little bit of melody in the solos as well, not just tremolo bar wankery.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 pm 

1. Reign in Blood - Slayer
2. Kill 'em All - 'Tallica
3. M-16 - Sodom
4. Formation of Damnation - TestAment
5. Rust in Peace - Megadeth

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:32 pm 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Heathen - Victims Of Deception: For me, this album nailed thrash metal in a way that I had never really heard before. The way it all came together sounded perfect, and I find nothing wrong with this album. Everything sounds like it's in place, and everything's exactly the way I would want it. I cannot even begin to describe it all.

Artillery - By Inheritance: Tech-thrash, with middle-eastern stylings and a bad ass vocalist. The riffing has influenced my own playing, even. Fucking class album, with tons of innovation abound, especially in the composition and overall songwriting.

Realm - Endless War: ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS NO ONE HAS HEARD!!! From the first notes, you're slayed with some excellent Power/Thrash with a technical tinge. Definitely recommended to anyone who loves Power/Thrash.

Helstar - Nosferatu: This album was one of those albums, where when I put it on, I immediately felt like my ass was being kicked by sheer creativity. It sounds like Neo-Classical thrash!! Andre Corbin melts faces, whilst James Rivera's haunting vocals push every song to their limits.

Kreator - Coma Of Souls: This album was what made me love Kreator. It really sounds like a lot of work was put into it, and like Victims Of Deception, everything sounds perfectly placed and just well-balanced. Definitely my favorite Kreator album.

Some interesting picks here.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:34 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Well since I have done a whole lot of talking, I figured it was time I presented my list.

Accu§er - The Conviction

Anthrax - A Fistful Of Metal

Artillery - By Inheritance

Assassin - The Upcoming Terror

Atrophy - Socialized Hate

D.R.I. - Thrash Zone

Death Angel - The Ultra Violence

Deathwish - Demon Preacher

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence

Devastation - Signs Of Life

Evildead - Annihilation Of Civilization

Flotsam And Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

Hypnosia - Violent Intensity EP

Massacra - Final Holocaust

Metal Church - Metal Church

Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death

Nuclear Assault - Handle With Care

Overkill - Under The Influence

Protector - Misanthropy EP

Razor - Shotgun Justice

Razor - Open Hostility

Sacrifice - Forward To Termination

Sadus - Death To Posers Demo

Sepultura - Morbid Visions

Slayer - Haunting The Chapel EP

Sodom - M-16

Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die

Tankard - Zombie Attack

Testament - Demonic (fuck you, it's the best thing they've ever done)

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Wehrmacht - Biermächt

Whiplash - Power And Pain

Znöwhite - Act Of God

Ugh, shit. I started with the best ones, and then I realized, there a lot of best ones.

I swear, if I hear one, "why the hell isn't (insert popular thrash band/album here) on your list?", you're getting fucking throat punched.
Good choice on Forbidden Evil....

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:00 pm 

Personally I think my two all time favourites are Sabbat "Dreamweaver" and Sadus "Illusions". Dreamweaver to me has some of the greatest lyricism and subject matter, the riffs are fantastic and the production is perfect. Illusions is to me one of the most brutal thrash albums ever made, walks an incredibly thin line to death metal much like early Kreator did. Chaos made perfect.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:42 pm 

1. "Rust in Peace" - Megadeth
2. "Kill 'em All" - Metallica
3. "Ride the Lightning" - Metallica
4. "Killing is my Business... And Business is Good!" - Megadeth
5. "Beneath the Remains" - Sepultura

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 am 

Some of my favorites at the moment:

I am embarrassed to say I didn't truly appreciate this album until recently. I downloaded long ago and listened to parts of it through my crappy computer speakers. It wasn't until recently I burnt it and popped it into my truck. It's an amazing thrash album, so much to love.

Sadus - Illusions
An intense and simply vicious album. Darren Travis's vocals are delivered like a fucking maniac over break neck riffing.

Deadly Blessing - Ascend from the Cauldron
The vocals on Cry of Medusa are simply orgasmic, as well as the song structure. Power/Thrash at it's best.

Morbid saint - Spectrum of death
No explanation needed.

Devastation - Idolatry
Riffs! Devastating and crushing riffs!

More_brains
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:50 am 

Heres mine.

1-Sodom- Obsessed by Cruelty

2-Vio-lence- Eternal nightmare

3-Savage Grace-Master of disguise

4-Slayer-Show no mercy

5-Sepultura-Arise

6-Exumer- Possesed by fire

7- Death- Leprosy

8-Overkill- feel the fire

9-kreator- pleasure to kill

10-Testament- the legacy

11-Rigor mortis- Self titled

12-Exhorder- sluaghter in the vation

13-Morbid saint- Lock up your children

14-Vio-lence-opressing the masses

15-Blessed death- destined for extinction

16-Baphomit- No answers

17- blood feast - Kill For Pleasure

18- Cryptic slaughter- Convicted

19- Sacred reich- Ignorance

20- Nuclear assualt- Game over

That is all

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 am 

QuidEstVerum wrote:
thomash wrote:

I wholeheartedly second this. Its blisteringly fast for the most part and the vocalist is an absolute maniac.

I mentioned the album first... :grumble:

Anyways, checking out Sauron. Pretty sweet stuff, actually. May have to get that album.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:16 pm 

I have to say that mine would be Pleasure To Kill, it's my second favourite metal album behind Altars Of Madness and it's just as close to perfection as possible in every way. Yes Mille's soloing is sloppy and ventor's drumming could do with being a bit tighter but I think it just adds to the whole over the top enthusiasm of the album, I can understand why some people might not like it exactly for that reason- it is over the top, but I just love it. Pleasure To Kill does exactly what a thrash album should; it makes me jump around headbanging like crazy whilst demolishing my house.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next