Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:17 pm 

FuneralFog wrote:
Scarlet Evil Witching Black. Their debut which used to have an awesome cover now has stupid computerized naked vampires or whatever on it.

That album isn't their debut.

FuneralFog wrote:
And these bonus tracks! I fucking hate them. Most of the time they're totally out of place and has nothing to do with the album. ....And I don't want to get started about Dark Recollections, which now has 18 tracks...

I'm generally opposed to meaningless live and rehearsal bonus tracks that sound like crap and I won't want to hear more than once (if that). However, I think including influential and well-known demos as bonuses is a great idea. I have decent-sounding copies of so many obscure Swedish death metal demos now, thanks to those reissues; Carnage is just one. As far as I'm concerned every demo recorded in Sunlight Studios should be on a CD somewhere.

Dark Descent Records

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:17 pm 

I could be the minority here, but I really liked Blind Guardian's remasters of their first 6 cds, particularly Imaginations, whose sound was pretty muddy on the original recording.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm 

Yeah, I don't understand what's so bad about the Carnage bonus tracks. The Day Man Lost is like, four minutes long. And it fucking kills. I absolutely love that (both versions!), probably just as much as the album itself.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:18 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Yeah, I don't understand what's so bad about the Carnage bonus tracks. The Day Man Lost is like, four minutes long. And it fucking kills. I absolutely love that (both versions!), probably just as much as the album itself.

I'm an Infestation of Evil man, myself. But I like having them both there. A lot of other Swedish demos have been bonus track-ized too, and most of them are great - some classic stuff by Grave, God Macabre/Macabre End, and others. I do prefer the full compilation CD treatment for bands with enough good demos to warrant it (Nihilist/Entombed, Dismember for example - plus more are coming from Interment and Crematory). But not all of those bands had that much demo material. In those cases it makes perfect sense to throw it on as bonus tracks for a reissue of their debut albums.

Dark Descent Records

FuneralFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:22 pm 

Well, maybe I exaggerated a little but I think they can release these demos separately. Classics should be left as they are, in my opinion.
Regarding Carnage: I think demos are great for collectors and fans, but why do I need 3 versions of the same song in one CD?!

dalecooper wrote:
That album isn't their debut.

Right! My bad. Don't know why I thought it was :)

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 pm 

i dont mind reissues or remastered albums if they are done right.
dont change the fucking artwork for a start, there is a reason they choose it in the first place. why go and put some polished CGI shit on there.
and don't put 6 bonus tracks that are just demos of 6 tracks of the album that sound like shit. add the infamous ep or some unreleased or live stuff.

10 years ago i would never have bought a reissue and i've bought few these days but if it's an album i've never had an original copy of in the first place then sometimes its welcome because you are getting your monies worth in some cases

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:37 pm 

Unexpect remastered and re-released their debut. The sound is horrible and lacks the warmth the original had. It feels cold and overproduced.
Hehe, foreskins.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 am 

I don't mind bonus tracks, as long as they are good.

Displeased re-released Pestilence's Malleus Malificarum a few years back with both demoes, which I though were good. I did notice the album cover was a bit different than my old cassette version, which had the same picture, but the background was yellow. I'm not sure, but I think green was what was intended.

I recently got Believer's Extraction From Mortality, reissued from Metal Mind. Now I've liked MM's reissues for the most part, but this one (digipack) doesn't have a sleave or notch to hold the booklet. It just sets inside, and falls out if you move it.

I also got Atrocity's Hallucinations, reissued by Napalm Records. That one is great. The songs from Blue Blood are added as bonus tracks, and there is a second cd with "The Hunt" and some other stuff. It's a very well done re-issue, with all of the original artwork, lyrics, and photos. I think it even has the original "thanks" list.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
I don't mind bonus tracks, as long as they are good.

Displeased re-released Pestilence's Malleus Malificarum a few years back with both demoes, which I though were good. I did notice the album cover was a bit different than my old cassette version, which had the same picture, but the background was yellow. I'm not sure, but I think green was what was intended.

i heard the Displeased version had a skip-error on one of the songs-can this be confirmed or denied by someone?

the original CD version of Malleus Maleficarum has a green background :)
but i think you're right-i think the cassette *was* yellow!!! (i might have to ask another friend of mine for that confirmation...)

i usually like bonus tracks, for the record the Carnage reissue -besides placement of the logo- was the best reissue to exist prior to the double disc ultimate collection from Repulsion

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 am 

Cancer, Atheist, and i think a few others were recently reissued, but i dont think they were remastered. the cancer ones had a very high quality booklet. earaches starting to be like roadrunner with the rereleases. carcass's albums have been redone at least twice.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:57 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Cancer, Atheist, and i think a few others were recently reissued, but i dont think they were remastered. the cancer ones had a very high quality booklet. earaches starting to be like roadrunner with the rereleases. carcass's albums have been redone at least twice.

i would be shocked if Cancer wasn't remastered, To the Gory End's master volume was low even for early 90's standards
and i'm curious over the high quality booklet too!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 am 

I don't think remasters are by definition (as a lot of people seem to think) bad, the Artillery ones for the boxset for example sound better than the album versions. I don't think many artists do it for the money either, since remastering costs more than just reissuing. After many years, your opinion of how your own music should sound may change and that's when people decide they'd like to hear their own art differently from the released version. Of course there's people that only do it for the money, but I doubt that's the majority.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 am 

thejuicebitch wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:

I'd love to see a REMIX of Emperor's old albums, as long as they dont compress them to total shit fuck town.

To me they sound perfect as they are.
"Anthems", now that sounds like an album nearly in compressed-to-shit territory. Nearly.

Bah, old Emperor needs no remixing. But while we're on the subject, I have the original Enslaved/EMperor split CD. Does anyone know if the Emperor EP was remixed for the Century Media re-issue with "Wrath of the Tyrant"? I ask because I heard this some time ago and really, the "Emperor" EP has one of my favourite productions in all of Norse BM, however something seemed slightly off to me. I'm not sure if it was the stereo I was hearing it on, but the drums seemed pushed back a little somehow and everything just seemed more "mushed together", if that makes sense. It was a small but noticeable thing that bothered me an inordinate amount .. I couldn't hear the bass as well either.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:24 am 

I'm really mystified as to why people would complain about bonus tracks. The more the better, as far as I see it. You don't want Carnage's demos on a CD? I do. Just programme your player to run through the first ten tracks, or get up and turn it off when the damn regular LP tracks are over. I'm glad that the labels put a little effort into giving us something extra occasionally. Makes it sometimes better to discover classics well after their initial release.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

*drools* where can I find the Cancer reissues?

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
I'm really mystified as to why people would complain about bonus tracks. The more the better, as far as I see it. You don't want Carnage's demos on a CD? I do. Just programme your player to run through the first ten tracks, or get up and turn it off when the damn regular LP tracks are over. I'm glad that the labels put a little effort into giving us something extra occasionally. Makes it sometimes better to discover classics well after their initial release.

exactly plus The Day Man Lost is so amazing hahaha
in all it's "leaf blower, chainsaws and monsters" glory!!!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:39 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

exactly plus The Day Man Lost is so amazing hahaha
in all it's "leaf blower, chainsaws and monsters" glory!!!

Yes, it's a monster all right!

My "Maleus Maleficarum" CD from Displeased does not skip. Also, those two demos are amazing .. totally worth having; they make this release beyond special. Also, II appreciate the Atheist "Unquestionable Presence" re-release, because I actually somewhat prefer the demo version of the album with Roger Patterson on bass and a roomier, more live drum sound.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:40 am 

By the way, I just wanted to say what's up with this money making (yeah right!) scheme of these newer bands that get a little bit of notoriety and then they remaster their classic albums and throw a bonus track on.

I am extremely upset at that new Watain remaster of their classic CASUS LUCIFERI. Although certain things in the mix are now more prominent, it's totally distorted with that digital distortion I spoke about in my other post here in this thread. Has anyone else checked this out yet? I have it in my Ipod and I think it's way too bottom heavy for one. I'm putting my old Casus back into my Ipod.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
While I'm at it; what's up with Earache reissues?

For example - At The Gates' "Slaughter of the Soul" has been released FOUR times on CD; original, with bonus tracks, with bonus tracks and CD-ROM material, and now with bonus tracks, and a DVD, which features some of the same stuff as the previous CD-ROM material.

Entombed's Clandestine also now has a DVD, but it's basically just "Monky Pus -Live"

Bolt Thower's Realm of Chaos has been re-issued, but with different artwork (and the band is pissed about it). The artwork for that CD is classic, and is an important part of the experience, in my opinion.

It's a money-making scheme. Labels know that collectors and die-hard fans will be out purchasing every reissue that comes out, plus I think it encourages newcomers who aren't totally sure where to start but are swayed by fancy packaging.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

*drools* where can I find the Cancer reissues?

i got mine from razorback, but it looks like theyre out...theyre actually imports

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
i heard the Displeased version had a skip-error on one of the songs-can this be confirmed or denied by someone?

It doesn't have a skip error but both "Throne of Death" and "Into Hades (intro)" have been listed as track number 14. That's why it says 17 tracks on the cover but the CD shows 18 tracks.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:

For example - At The Gates' "Slaughter of the Soul" has been released FOUR times on CD; original, with bonus tracks, with bonus tracks and CD-ROM material, and now with bonus tracks, and a DVD, which features some of the same stuff as the previous CD-ROM material.

Entombed's Clandestine also now has a DVD, but it's basically just "Monky Pus -Live"

Bolt Thower's Realm of Chaos has been re-issued, but with different artwork (and the band is pissed about it). The artwork for that CD is classic, and is an important part of the experience, in my opinion.

I think Bolt Thrower are mainly pissed off by the fact Earache remastered Realm... without the bands permission. I don't believe the band get any money from the sale of one of the remastered CDs either, but could be wrong.

PlagueRages
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:52 pm 

FuneralFog wrote:
A few years ago I ordered De Misteriis Dom Sathanas from eBay (Or maybe it was Amazon?), and I didn't know it was ever reissued. When I opened the package I wanted to kill someone. First of all I noticed that something is strange about the cover - it's blue, it's supposed to be more purple... Then I opened the case and saw Mayhem's logo on the CD! What the fuck?! Then I opened the booklet and guess what - no lyrics!!! It looked like they intended to ruin the CD in every possible way. Playing this album no longer feels the same. Feels almost like playing a CD-R.

I don't know about the Mayhem logo being on the disc but the original pressing had no lyrics and the cover was blue, before they changed it to purple. So in that sense the re-issue is true to the original.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:57 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

I think Bolt Thrower are mainly pissed off by the fact Earache remastered Realm... without the bands permission. I don't believe the band get any money from the sale of one of the remastered CDs either, but could be wrong.

they(Bolt Thrower) are pissed because they(Earache):
pulled the Who Dares Wins thing, remastered it without their permission, put on NEW SHIT ARTWORK without their permission, didn't answer their requests to discuss matters and probably about 10 other reasons.

Earache and Bolt Thrower are like that old once married couple that would certainly, definitely, undoubtedly KILL each other if they were left in the same room

i think both parties are being shitheads about it though!!!!

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:27 pm 

I can understand Bolt Thrower's stance. If a former lael releases a best-of CD at the same time your new rcord is out, and tries to use the same title as one of the songs on your new record, and then later re-issues one of your most well knowns albums with new artwork, and without your input or permission, all the while holding back on royalties, wouldn't you be a little pissed?

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:14 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
FuneralFog wrote:
A few years ago I ordered De Misteriis Dom Sathanas from eBay (Or maybe it was Amazon?), and I didn't know it was ever reissued. When I opened the package I wanted to kill someone. First of all I noticed that something is strange about the cover - it's blue, it's supposed to be more purple... Then I opened the case and saw Mayhem's logo on the CD! What the fuck?! Then I opened the booklet and guess what - no lyrics!!! It looked like they intended to ruin the CD in every possible way. Playing this album no longer feels the same. Feels almost like playing a CD-R.

I don't know about the Mayhem logo being on the disc but the original pressing had no lyrics and the cover was blue, before they changed it to purple. So in that sense the re-issue is true to the original.

Taken from the album info on the Archives:

The first CD pressing DID NOT HAVE a booklet with lyrics, and it DID NOT HAVE a barcode. Just a fold-out cover with pictures of Hellhammer and Euronymous
inside. Coloring of the building on the front is blue.

Hope this clarifies a few things; I have the "blue" version with no lyrics too, and it certainly to me isn't a CD-R :-)

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

EmbraceTheDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:23 pm 

Haven't read through this thread but remastering albums can greatly benefit some albums. For example, Suffocatin's Breeding the Spawn would be fucking classic except the production is abysmal. Thats just one example off the top of my head, but i'm positive there are others.

Sanaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 pm 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
However I don't mind if say Morbid Saint reissued spectrum of death, Demigod reissued slumber of sullen eyes, or Sororicide reissued even a small batch of The Entity so those of us who are big fans of the material don't have to drop $100-1,000 just to own a copy of the music we enjoy in a physical form.
Spectrum of Death has been re-released recently with alternative cover art :thumbsdown: . Otherwise a great reissue though, I just hate that cover art change.

Edit:Reissue on eBay

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
Why do bands remaster their classic albums? Do they realize how pathetic the remasters sound?

My question is why do these artists remaster their albums instead of just re-issuing them. Do they realize that the remasters are complete crap? If you (the reader of this post) released an album now, would you remaster it 20 years down the line?
I would also add for the most part bands really don't have much say in certain instances since most everything is owned and run by the record company. I think a lot of it has to do with how the contracts were written out back in the day.

remastering is mostly done as a gimmick to sell those classic albums that sold well back in the day. most remaster them but to also further entice the buyer they add bonus tracks and or live material. Since most remaster jobs concentrate on the mid bass and lower frequencies everything else usualy just gets maxed out on the sound spectrum. So you can hear a lot more detail you missed the first time, plus added bass and the drums being tweaked a bit louder makes for most remasterings.

Recently the Genesis catalog was remastered and remixed by a pretty well known producer/sound sculptor/manipulater and their albums were boxed up in 3 box sets according to the era released.Early reports say the sound is excellent is you can handle the maxing out of every sound in the range of hz's lol . they take out the dynamic range and compress everything so when listening to a long session of albums you become very tired and your head aches and you wonder why. lol

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:29 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

i would be shocked if Cancer wasn't remastered, To the Gory End's master volume was low even for early 90's standards
and i'm curious over the high quality booklet too!

i think what i said was misleading....death shall rise is basically the same, except under the jewel case is a photo of the band and its got a live track. To the Gory Ends "booklet" has the lyrics and art, but it feels like a glossy birthday card.

Norrin_Radd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:48 am 

Here's the thing:

It's just like George Lucas fiddling around with the classic Star Wars movies. Some things are classic, and are enjoyable for more reasons than just how crisp the production is by today's standards. Some things are timeless, and need to left alone.

If the album all ready had great production, and it's only draw back is that the kick drum isn't HUUUUUUGE; why the hell remaster it!?

I absolutely hate the fact that people can't go into a record shop and buy Slayer's Reign in Blood without getting the uber jacked remastered edition. Part of why I like RiB so much is because of how far ahead of it's time it was. I still can't believe it came out in 1986. I was terrified when I was 12 and I heard the album in 1996, I can't imagine how shocking it was a decade earlier.

Now, when an album was destined to be classic, but featured such terrible production that notes are lost, and drums are buried, yes sometimes a remastering is in order. But it had better be pretty bad.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

i think what i said was misleading....death shall rise is basically the same, except under the jewel case is a photo of the band and its got a live track. To the Gory Ends "booklet" has the lyrics and art, but it feels like a glossy birthday card.

So both "To The Gory End" and "Death Shall Rise" have been re-issued? What about "Sins of Mankind"?

MOE_MACHINEGUNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 am 

The Marduk re-issues are kind of nice. The packaging is sharp (Something to look at while listening I guess), and it still has a gritty edge to the production it seems. But that just might be Legion-era Marduk; I havent heard the original masters. I guess some remasters just make things more accesible. I managed to snag three of them at a used record store for like 20 bucks, one had an alright DVD too.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm 

I've got a question for all the conoisseurs, I've come across several boxsets of remastered albums such as Tank's massive 8 cds plus dvd and artillery 4 albums. Each albums have also been rereleased individually with the same content and also remastered but is specified that it comes on a golden disc and is a digipak. So I wanted to know, what exactly do you get in your boxset, is it one like the Black Sabbath Black Box or more like - speaking of black sabbath - the rules of hell? Do I get exactly the same thing as the individual reissues, digipaks on golden disks?

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:

So both "To The Gory End" and "Death Shall Rise" have been re-issued? What about "Sins of Mankind"?

I'm looking at my copy of To The Gory End right now and I'm pretty sure it's a re-issue. It has a bonus live version of "Blood Bath" on it. I don't know about the other two.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:15 pm 

twophoton wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

I'm looking at my copy of To The Gory End right now and I'm pretty sure it's a re-issue. It has a bonus live version of "Blood Bath" on it. I don't know about the other two.

probably from the Live Death 4 way split with Exhorder, Malevolent Creation and Suffocation :)

whats the record label and year of release-i (or whoever sees this first)'ll update that albums page on the archives

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:04 am 

I feel pretty bad about not realising this earlier, but Mekong Delta's "THe Music of Erich Zann"" is a brilliant album. The thing is, it always just sort of drifted by me, until I heard the re-release recently at a friend's house. It seems as though they made some of the guitar tracks louder, but didn't overdo anything...comparing the copy I have now to the burn I used to listen to periodically, it seems as though the levels are more balanced somehow. Maybe this makes the presentation less subtle, but damn, this is possibly the only case I know of right now where a remix really did improve things. I'm not sure what old fans of the album might think, though.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:24 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
twophoton wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

probably from the Live Death 4 way split with Exhorder, Malevolent Creation and Suffocation :)

whats the record label and year of release-i (or whoever sees this first)'ll update that albums page on the archives

It's not really clear to me. On the side of the case it says Restless. On the back insert it says 2008 RIP DEATH RECORDS. ??? BTW, underneath the cover art (which is the same as the original) it says "Deluxe Edition" - huh, I guess one bonus song makes it "deluxe"...

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 am 

twophoton wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:
twophoton wrote:
Dark_Gnat wrote:

It's not really clear to me. On the side of the case it says Restless. On the back insert it says 2008 RIP DEATH RECORDS. ??? BTW, underneath the cover art (which is the same as the original) it says "Deluxe Edition" - huh, I guess one bonus song makes it "deluxe"...

whoa... ok before i make an update on that
maybe someone should look into it, it's probably Restless, but that might actually be a bootleg!?!?!!

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 am 

FuneralFog wrote:
Lots of test

Apparently my copy of DMDS is as you describe; no lyric booklet, blue coloring, disc having logo on it and the shadowy faces.

Edit: Apparently the original or reissued DMDS it is.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next