* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Pyramaze are a terrible band that will never be good no matter how many quality vocalists they steal.

OH shizznit he has 8,000+ posts.

Yeah because my opinion wouldn't matter if I had less posts. How about you stop being a douchebag?

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Warlocks_amulet wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Pyramaze are a terrible band that will never be good no matter how many quality vocalists they steal.

Yeah because my opinion wouldn't matter if I had less posts. How about you stop being a douchebag?

I'm not the one being a douchebag.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:11 am 

Who is?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:12 am 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Warlocks_amulet wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I'm not the one being a douchebag.

All you're really doing is hiding behind ad-hominems and vague one-liners. I stated my dislike for Pyramaze and you got pissy about it, nothing else to it. Post count doesn't matter at all, I would say the same thing if I had 2 posts.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:14 am 

I didn't get pissy. It doesn't make a difference to me if you don't like Pyramaze, I do. Same as if I don't like a band you do, you probably don't care right?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 am 

Warlocks_amulet wrote:
I didn't get pissy. It doesn't make a difference to me if you don't like Pyramaze, I do. Same as if I don't like a band you do, you probably don't care right?

If it doesn't make a difference to you, why did you make the asinine comments about post-count, when it is clearly not relevant?

All douchebaggery aside, you guys should check out Wolverine. And they were talking about Psychotic Waltz in the Power Metal thread - a band which I have also checked out recently, who are indeed great.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 am 

@ Warlocks_amulet:

I never accused you of being a Barlow fanboy, relax man. :p

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 am 

Call it immaturity, caffeine, whatever. why don't we just drop it, eh?

Perdition666 wrote:
@ Warlocks_amulet:

I never accused you of being a Barlow fanboy, relax man. :p

I know, :)

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:18 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
I couldn't find a symphonic/Orchestral help thread, so this one will suffice.

I am looking for Orchestral metal composed in a similar way to Rhapsody, although preferably not power metal. Hollenthon and Therion are very close to what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Ashes to Ashes, while not as symphonic as those two, still has some orchestration. Very good prog as well. Angizia, Dunwich and The Eternal Blade should also be along the lines of what you are looking for. Also, check Kraken's (Col) album with a filarmonic orchestra. Believe me, it gives Metallica's a run for its money.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:23 am 

Ashes to Ashes is fucking phenomenal. I wish they'd do another album soon. The samples of new material at their myspace page seemed a bit... too refined. I liked them, but didn't have the magic of "Cardinal VII".

Dunwich I've been meaning to check out for years, but I never got around to it.

Shit, for symphonic prog, Wormfood could "almost" count, but they don't have enough symphonic parts to meet hippiedrow's criteria. The symphonic sections of Wormfood almost remind me of Devil Doll for some strange reason (ie, the dark, movie-score feel to them).

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Ashes to Ashes is fucking phenomenal. I wish they'd do another album soon. The samples of new material at their myspace page seemed a bit... too refined. I liked them, but didn't have the magic of "Cardinal VII".

Indeed, Cardinal is majestic. The title track is utterly mesmerizing. I like how the symphonic arrangements are so subtle and never come as eclipsing the other instruments, but are still vital to the general listening. Have you listened to the debut?

Quote:

They're very symphonic indeed, though to call them metal would be quite a strech. Symphonic folk/gothic/hard rock with some heavy parts here and there would be more accurate.

Quote:
Shit, for symphonic prog, Wormfood could "almost" count, but they don't have enough symphonic parts to meet hippiedrow's criteria. The symphonic sections of Wormfood almost remind me of Devil Doll for some strange reason (ie, the dark, movie-score feel to them).

Too bad that for every symphonic part of France there are like other 20 ideas thrown in that brilliant mindfuck :lol:

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:43 am 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Indeed, Cardinal is majestic. The title track is utterly mesmerizing. I like how the symphonic arrangements are so subtle and never come as eclipsing the other instruments, but are still vital to the general listening. Have you listened to the debut?

Yeah, I used to own that CD, it was really bland and boring and wasn't even close to as good as "Cardinal VII". :( Mind you, I may've been too harsh on it (didn't even give it one full play before having to stop it). If it was actually good and was grower material, I may have to rebuy that album :p (there's been albums I've rebought 4-5 times, so this is nothing new)

Quote:
Quote:

They're very symphonic indeed, though to call them metal would be quite a strech. Symphonic folk/gothic/hard rock with some heavy parts here and there would be more accurate.

That may be appealing actually - I don't need everything to be 100% metal these days. If I see it kicking around somewhere, I may buy it.

Quote:
Quote:
Too bad that for every symphonic part of France there are like other 20 ideas thrown in that brilliant mindfuck :lol:

Haha, yeah, that's what I love about it. One of the rare bands that can effortlessly fuse together like 5+ genres/subgenres in one song without sounding haphazard. Words cannot express how much I'm anticipating their next album.

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:07 pm 

Looking for some new band of my favorite genre, but there is too much... I cant barely know where to start... :shock:

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:55 pm 

WereHuman wrote:
Looking for some new band of my favorite genre, but there is too much... I cant barely know where to start... :shock:

Well, what bands do you know already, and which of them do you like and dislike?

Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensryche are always good bands to start with, if you have not already.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:12 pm 

The Ashes to Ashes mention above is happily received, I am a fan ;)

I've grown quite fond of Seventh Wonder, their concept album Mercy Falls was a solid chunk of progressive metal, with a good story behind it as well.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm 

WereHuman wrote:

Check out any of the countless bands already mentioned in this thread.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:32 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
WereHuman wrote:

Well, what bands do you know already, and which of them do you like and dislike?

Dream Theater, Fates Warning, and Queensryche are always good bands to start with, if you have not already.

DT has been my favorite for quite long time, and now I'm on Symphony X. I like more the havier side than the prog side, meaning classical prog oriented (like Transatlantic for instance).
I like Queensryche but I dont dig that much... Tried to see why Operation: Mindcrime is so celebrated, but I didn't get it.

So, havier progmetal is my name.

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 am 

Been waiting to get into Progressive metal but don't know where to start
Can someone reccomend me a starting band? :D

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:57 am 

balkonas wrote:

Dream Theater - Images and Words (total common place, but that's how I started).

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:55 am 

WereHuman wrote:
balkonas wrote:

Dream Theater - Images and Words (total common place, but that's how I started).

Thanks will try :)

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm 

balkonas wrote:

steady666 wrote:
Check out any of the countless bands already mentioned in this thread.

I thought it was pretty obvious.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 pm 

looking for bands that are metal but make heavy use of rock/hammond organs. Examples are Hammers of Misfortune and Noekk.

Sunkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:15 pm 

I'm looking for a good Progressive Death Metal band and a Progressive Black Metal band. The only condition is that these bands have to be more progressive than Death or Black metal.

Clean vocals (along with harsh) would be a plus.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:20 pm 

Sunkist wrote:
I'm looking for a good Progressive Death Metal band and a Progressive Black Metal band. The only condition is that these bands have to be more progressive than Death or Black metal.

Progressive Black Metal makes me think of Ne Obliviscaris so you should give them a go. Very good band. So far they have only got a demo out but it has had an incredible amount of positive feedback (people going as far as saying best of 2007). Although... I don't know about them being more prog than black. But still would be worth your while.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 pm 

Speaking of progressive death metal, has anyone heard Hieronymus Bosch's "Equivoke"? I hope that one will be good...

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:53 pm 

Sunkist wrote:

Try Opeth for progressive death metal and maybe Enslaved for progressive black metal.

BLACKSABBATHOHM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:47 pm 

reccomemd me good 80s era progressive metal. the lesser known the better.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:38 am 

WereHuman wrote:

May I recommend you Windham Hell? I won't hype it or build it up but its a band often overlooked for a nice Saturday night shred/prog treat. Judge for yourself.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:37 am 

Sunkist wrote:

For prog death, there's Frozen and Disillusion, who are both amazing. Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor is essential listening. Frozen's Enemy Soil deserves more recognition than it gets. For stuff more in the Opeth vein, try Ikuinen Kaamos and In Mourning. Both bands have only one full-length, and both are very good.

For progressive black, I second the recommendation for Ne Obliviscaris. Krallice are also very good, but probably don't fit the "more progressive than black metal" condition (check them out anyway).

Perdition666 wrote:
Speaking of progressive death metal, has anyone heard Hieronymus Bosch's "Equivoke"? I hope that one will be good...

I want to. The Human Abstract was awesome. I still need Artificial Emotions.

serpent_moves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:33 am 

i'm surprised nobody mentioned Coroner, they're more thrash than prog but the songwriting and musicianship on Mental Vortex and Grin are briliant really good for fans of death/atheist/cynic/pestilence...

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 am 

serpent_moves wrote:
i'm surprised nobody mentioned Coroner, they're more thrash than prog but the songwriting and musicianship on Mental Vortex and Grin are briliant really good for fans of death/atheist/cynic/pestilence...

Yeah Coroner are awesome! R.I.P is their best album IMO. I don't really know any other bands like them.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:53 am 

Coroner is awful. Pathetic, worthless and boring.

On a positive note, Enslave's Vertebrae and Cynic's Traced In Air are probably the best prog releases of the year (excluding Shadrane's Temporal)

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:19 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
Coroner is awful. Pathetic, worthless and boring.

On a positive note, Enslave's Vertebrae and Cynic's Traced In Air are probably the best prog releases of the year (excluding Shadrane's Temporal)

But everyone knows not to trust your musical tastes MegaHassan :p

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 am 

Better to have your own opinion on things instead of having the same opinion as everyone else. Makes for a much more "interesting" discussion.

Coroner really are boring. The antithesis of all things thrash, IMO. Just like all the other "technical" and "progressive" thrash bands.

serpent_moves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:02 pm 

heh RIP is the only coroner album i couldn't get into, everything they ve done after is much more intersting imo

yeah and i agree that they re not really what true thrash is about but i cant understand how you can find them boring, on mental vortex alone there are so many original riffs that it would be enough to make 5 albums for an other band

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:25 pm 

So I want to get into Royal Hunt. Any fans? What album(s) should I start with? Also, is there latest any good?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:50 am 

serpent_moves wrote:
heh RIP is the only coroner album i couldn't get into, everything they ve done after is much more intersting imo

yeah and i agree that they re not really what true thrash is about but i cant understand how you can find them boring, on mental vortex alone there are so many original riffs that it would be enough to make 5 albums for an other band

You can make a kickass song with a handful of riffs. Just look at Bonded By Blood, all the songs on that album aren't flooded with riffs but they manage to keep things interesting.

It's not the quantity of riffs, its the quality that matters. And I'm sorry to say, only 10% of the riffs on Mental Vortex are good. The same is the case with Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
It's not the quantity of riffs, its the quality that matters. And I'm sorry to say, only 10% of the riffs on Mental Vortex are good. The same is the case with Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal.

It's also the quantity, too. I wouldn't listen to a single riff play for 4+ minutes now matter how good it is.

UndefinedSolace
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:11 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
Sunkist wrote:

For prog death, there's Frozen and Disillusion, who are both amazing. Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor is essential listening. Frozen's Enemy Soil deserves more recognition than it gets. For stuff more in the Opeth vein, try Ikuinen Kaamos and In Mourning. Both bands have only one full-length, and both are very good.

For progressive black, I second the recommendation for Ne Obliviscaris. Krallice are also very good, but probably don't fit the "more progressive than black metal" condition (check them out anyway).

I second Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor. I also recommend Negură Bunget for amazing atmospheric progressive black metal. Both have clean and harsh vocals. Om is my favorite album from Negura Bunget. There is several videos from NB on youtube you should check out, especially the video for Cunoaşterea Tăcută. :)

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 am 

rexxz wrote:
MegaHassan wrote:

It's also the quantity, too. I wouldn't listen to a single riff play for 4+ minutes now matter how good it is.

Well, you have a point there. Quality and Quantity go hand in hand, but too much emphasis on one of the two can derail an album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next