Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Roxel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm 

Who here likes Industrial Metal? What are your favorite bands from this genre? I just started getting into this genre and from what I have heard, I like Ministry, Fear Factory, KMFDM, and Nine Inch Nails (if they count) so far.

I also found an Electronica genre that is remotely similiar to Industrial Metal. The genre is called Aggrotech and bands like Hocico and Dawn of Ashes play this style of music that sounds similiar to Industrial Metal. Check them out if you haven't already.

Balaam_Abaddon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:19 pm 

I never really got in to Industrial Metal, just wasn't ever my cup of tea really.
I'll stick to Death Metal, and Black Metal.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 pm 

I would highly recommend Inswarm. They're more industrial than metal, but they avoid all of the problems that plague industrial metal. This means that they do not sound like an angry disco group like most industrial metal bands do.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm 

I like some stuff like Spektr, Haemoth and Blacklodge, also Mysticum, but nothing else really. Some Ministry stuff is good.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:24 pm 

Check out Skinny Puppy since you like KMFDM and Ministry. I guess you could call Strapping Young Lad some sort of industrial metal as well, they're a great band even though straight-up industrial is usually much better than the bands that want to be metal.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm 

I prefer industrialized versions of other metal subgenres, rather than industrial metal itself, though I suppose it's highly subjective. There are some "straight" electronic/industrial metal bands (as they are tagged on MA) I do enjoy however, like Herrschaft.

Last edited by Snowgrave on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm 

For me I mainly stick to Fear Factory. Rammstein is one of my favorite bands, but I guess they are not metal.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:28 pm 

Godflesh is Industrial metal, right? They're fantastic.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:29 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I prefer industrialized versions of other metal subgenres, rather than industrial metal itself, though I suppose it's highly subjective. There are some "straight" electronic/industrial metal bands (as they are tagged on MA) I do enjoy however, like Herrschaft.

I agree completely with this statement. Herrschaft are outstanding as well. I could never quite get into Cynicon very much, but I believe that's more of a merger of genres anyway.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm 

I like some bands that plays industrial death (black) metal.
For example Red harvest, Atrophia red sun, Blut aus nord, Helheim (there are two norwegian helheims, this is less-known one), Thorns, Choronzon.
Pure industrial metal is not my favourite genre.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm 

II also like some industrial metal but usually stuff that would be considered more industrial than metal. Ministry's "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" and "Psalm 69" and Killing Joke's "Pandemonium" are some of my favorite albums. Early Pitchshifter and Fear Factory are also good.

From the Aggrotech genre Combichrist are alright.

Edit: There was a help thread that has some info.

Last edited by neonchipmunk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:42 pm 

Ministry has put out some good material. I don't like the majority of what they've done though. I mostly just like some stray songs whereas I think that the rest of the albums those songs are taken from suck. Jesus Built My Hotrod is good fun though.

Ad Hominem play quite good industrial black metal, though I mostly think it leans more towards regular bm.

Mysticum is a better example. They are just plain awesome and sounds a bit like some kind of techno black metal. The electronic beat in the background also moulds together with the near mechanical sounding riffing. The vocals also have a clearly synthetic feel to them, and all these effects blend together nicely.

Also, I believe Aborym is just :bow::bow::bow:

Everything I've heard by Aborym is awesome in some way. It seems like they can do very little wrong.

I also like Godkiller's more industrial material quite a bit, and it sure as hell deserves a mention in any thread about industrial metal IMO.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Dismal_Deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 pm 

Sepulturafreak wrote:
Godflesh is Industrial metal, right? They're fantastic.

Oh aye, just get " Streetcleaner" and win. Pure grimey, dissonant crushing-ness straight from B'ham( what a shithole!)

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 pm 

Pigface anyone? Come on, folks. That was an easy one. Suck, suck, suck.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:12 pm 

Yeah godflesh is totally awesome.

Does Jesu count?

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:29 pm 

Early Pitchshifter is excellent. Industrial and Submit particularly are brilliant releases, such an incredibly opressive atmosphere. Like being in a factory, being pounded by jackhammers or something.

And yeah, stuff like Thorns is cool too. I guess The Electric Hellfire Club probably count also, I like them a lot. Also Blut Aus Nord. Beyond these, I can't think of any industrial that I have. Not a genre I've really explored. I love NIN too but I wouldn't call it metal for a second.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 pm 

Fear Factory. :metal:

Last.fm

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:54 pm 

You may want to check out the newer Crematory (ger) albums: Klagebilder is quite reminiscent of Rammstein, although more metal as it's still Crematory.

I also like Deathstars a lot, their music is pretty damn catchy yet solid.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:06 pm 

Deathstars are fun, despite being fairly mainstream goth kiddy stuff. The fact that they used to be Swordmaster shows something for their melodic prowess and catchiness. The stuff after Wraths of Time was a crappy transition period if you ask me.
Hehe, foreskins.

noinim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:08 pm 

This thread will most likely be locked very soon. (Many of the good ones eventually are.) They don't much like us talkin' 'bout such things 'round these parts. The last industrial metal thread I participated in was locked pretty quickly and without reason.

Here's the thread from a few months back...
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... industrial

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:10 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
Early Pitchshifter is excellent. Industrial and Submit particularly are brilliant releases, such an incredibly opressive atmosphere. Like being in a factory, being pounded by jackhammers or something.

Yeah, I really like those releases as well. Industrial in particular is such a primitive release but the music is monolithic. I've actually been trying to find some more bands which are in the vein of those two releases but I've not been very successful in finding a lot :(

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:13 pm 

Foxx wrote:
ForNaught wrote:

Yeah, I really like those releases as well. Industrial in particular is such a primitive release but the music is monolithic. I've actually been trying to find some more bands which are in the vein of those two releases but I've not been very successful in finding a lot :(

Yeah, nor I. I tried out a little Godflesh, seemed good but didn't give me the same feeling. It was too human.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm 

noinim wrote:
This thread will most likely be locked very soon. (Many of the good ones eventually are.) They don't much like us talkin' 'bout such things 'round these parts. The last industrial metal thread I participated in was locked pretty quickly and without reason.

Here's the thread from a few months back...
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... industrial

Threads won't get locked if they actually have potential.

If this thread shows any potential for civil discussion it probably won't get locked.

OT: Is there anything else out there that is reminiscent of Aborym, in the way they create techno-ish industrial black metal with a very cold and synthetic feeling?
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:23 pm 

I don't really listen to much industrial.

The bands which I do listen to from the genre are Ministry (everything past their new age period is worth a listen, although they change styles a bit), Killing Joke (not metal, but their early stuff is pretty decent, their new stuff is a little strange though) and Godflesh.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:05 pm 

I would add Nailbomb and Kovenent as two bands worth checking out
Nailbomb if you are a Chaos AD-era Sepultura fan (and you like early Fear factory and some hardcore)
and for Kovenant, Animatronic for those who like their industrial metal a bit more commercial-sounding (some places remind me of Marilyn Manson/Powerman 5000/Static-X) yet with black metal influence

IPonly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:07 pm 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
OT: Is there anything else out there that is reminiscent of Aborym, in the way they create techno-ish industrial black metal with a very cold and synthetic feeling?

Check out Diabolicum and Dødheimsgard's 666 International for about equal amounts of grimness. For colder, but less synthetic, try V.E.G.A. and La Division Mentale. For more synthetic, but less techno, try the above mentioned Thorns.

Anyone who wants a general look around the genere can check out this list of industrial metal bands I made a while ago...

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:12 pm 

Crick wrote:
Deathstars are fun, despite being fairly mainstream goth kiddy stuff. The fact that they used to be Swordmaster shows something for their melodic prowess and catchiness. The stuff after Wraths of Time was a crappy transition period if you ask me.

Plus, Deathstars' singer is Jon Nodtviedt's brother, and the drummer is Dissection's old drummer Ole Ohman. I like their second album alot, it rocks pretty well, especially when considering how gay a band with that particular image might sound.

Toarmentor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 pm 

Mortiis is my favourite industrial

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 pm 

As far as industrial rock / metal goes... Circle of Dust's discography and Argyle Park - Misguided are the best I've ever heard. If anyone can find me some industrial music like this, please recommend me.

Some other good ones are:
Shade Empire
Dimension F3h
Mortiis
Whourkr
Sybreed
Celldweller

Last edited by XSpidercideX on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:33 pm 

I never really liked Industrial Metal, or any Industrial music really. But some of the bands mentioned thus far have some okay songs. I really like NIN's "Head Like a Hole" though. That's a cool song.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:14 pm 

I'm getting really into industrial metal, particularly death metal. I love the mechanical feeling to it. Some of my favourites:

Whourkr - This is the best band of the list. They've mixed death metal with electronica and techno so expertly that it wipes the floor with most industrial bands. Highly skilled musicians here.

Deflore - A pure industrial band. They never reach any speeds, but they're good still.

Zyklon - I would love to see them use more industrial elements in their music, as it really does take a back seat to everything else, especially as you get further on in their career.

The Amenta - I was not a fan of their first album, but n0n is getting regular play time in my stereo. A very wicked album full of industrial goodies and odd song structures. A highlight of this year.

The Berzerker - I like all of their albums, but their newest one, The Reawakening, is up there with Dissimulate as my favourite album. There's a love-hate relationship between this band and metal fans, but luckily for me, I'm enjoying this band. Their style can be quite extreme for some, and thus annoying, but I like them.

Thorns - No introduction necessary. If you haven't heard the self-titled album, you are missing out on QUALITY industrial black metal. I'm really excited for the follow-up, due next year. I can only hope it lives up to the expectations I'm giving it.

Havoc Unit - Haven't got the album H.iv+, or whatever it's called, but from the samples I've heard, it sounds pretty sweet. I'll be picking this one up in the near future, and with any luck it can rival some bands mentioned here.

Of the list, Whourkr is number one. Listen to them now! :metal:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 pm 

ForNaught wrote:

Yeah you stole my post. I love those albums.

Desensitized had some decent stuff too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnXYlvX2i0

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 pm 

Foxx wrote:
ForNaught wrote:

Well, I think the dudes in Pitch Shifter started as a Head of David worship band. So try Head of David. I personally wasn't that into it.

You might also like Diatribes by Napalm Death (even though it is not industrial), or the Nailbomb album, as others have mentioned.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:58 pm 

Wait a second, Pigface is not even listed on MA. WTF. How is Pitchshifter more metal than Pigface or Skinny Puppy, for that matter? Most of the bands that have been mentioned here aren't even industrial. Has the meaning of the term been totally lost over time?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am 

twophoton wrote:
Has the meaning of the term been totally lost over time?

Yep. :(

Industrial Metal gets both industrial AND metal parts wrong!

EDIT: Referring to the more mainstreamish stuff such as Rammstein and whatnot.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:05 am 

The Berzerker is excellent...I fully recommend their new album!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:14 am 

Bezerko wrote:
twophoton wrote:
Has the meaning of the term been totally lost over time?

Yep. :(

Industrial Metal gets both industrial AND metal parts wrong!

EDIT: Referring to the more mainstreamish stuff such as Rammstein and whatnot.

Well the whole thing is that Rammstein really, really aren't metal. I'd class them as Industrial Rock, maybe... Not metal. Their most metal song was Spring, and that was more of an industrial sounding doomy/sludge thing. They're definitely industrial at times, other times it's literally just techno rhythms.
Hehe, foreskins.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 am 

awm wrote:
Foxx wrote:
ForNaught wrote:

Well, I think the dudes in Pitch Shifter started as a Head of David worship band. So try Head of David. I personally wasn't that into it.

You might also like Diatribes by Napalm Death (even though it is not industrial), or the Nailbomb album, as others have mentioned.

I've listened to Head of David and it really isn't what I'd describe as similar to Industrial or Submit. I'll look at the other things you've mentioned though.

DerickVonDerickson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:47 am 

Front Line Assembly is good. I also enjoy Tool. NIN used to be my favorite band, untill I discovered Thrash metal.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 am 

einvolk wrote:
I would add Nailbomb and Kovenent as two bands worth checking out
Nailbomb if you are a Chaos AD-era Sepultura fan (and you like early Fear factory and some hardcore)
and for Kovenant, Animatronic for those who like their industrial metal a bit more commercial-sounding (some places remind me of Marilyn Manson/Powerman 5000/Static-X) yet with black metal influence

Shit I forgot Nailbomb. One of the best industrial metal bands I have heard. Also the Berzerker is quite good on Animosity, but they completely fucked up anything they had going for them on their new release due to the worst snare sound I have ever heard.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next