Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm 

So after hearing the four songs posted up I have a slightly revised opinion. The first tune was terrible "experimental" music that literally ANYONE can make. The second one was a shitty Faith No More rip off, except without any of the things that make Faith No More good. The third was a crappy dance tune. The fourth one does sound like Korn, although I'll admit the guy has decent death growls, everything else is HORRIBLE.

The only thing that has changed in my opinion is that this guy sounds nothing like Mike Patton. I have no idea where I got that from.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:09 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
So after hearing the four songs posted up I have a slightly revised opinion. The first tune was terrible "experimental" music that literally ANYONE can make. The second one was a shitty Faith No More rip off, except without any of the things that make Faith No More good. The third was a crappy dance tune. The fourth one does sound like Korn, although I'll admit the guy has decent death growls, everything else is HORRIBLE.

The only thing that has changed in my opinion is that this guy sounds nothing like Mike Patton. I have no idea where I got that from.

They sound nothing like Faith No More. And no, Raison D'etre isn't even a dance song. You are terrible with your genres.

sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 pm 

They are horrible

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm 

sprintcarfan2007 wrote:
They are horrible

And what is your reasoning?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:09 pm 

This is getting pretty ridiculous. What do you hope to accomplish by constantly rebutting arguments from every single poster who states their dislike for this band? And several of your posts have had faulty arguments with no examples or reasoning in them, like saying "it's no better than the shit you listen to" or "I can think of worse bands" without actually naming them.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This is getting pretty ridiculous. What do you hope to accomplish by constantly rebutting arguments from every single poster who states their dislike for this band? And several of your posts have had faulty arguments with no examples or reasoning in them, like saying "it's no better than the shit you listen to" or "I can think of worse bands" without actually naming them.

No one asked. If you haven't noticed, I'm the only one who's asked people to explain the logic for their opinions.

But I'm assuming you want me to list some bands so:
Gazette - sounds like every other generic JRock band
Lordi - just no.
Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
Job for a Cowboy - pig squeals are annoying

As for the "it's no better than the shit you listen to," I just couldn't think of anything worth typing, so I'm going to bullshit my reason - they are a band trying out new things, different instruments (how many bands do you know of that use an electric sitar?), and while they may not be good by your standards, they must have some talent considering they've been a band for eleven years.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:50 pm 

Those are some pretty piss poor examples you just gave. Few to none of those bands have any sort of following on this forum.

As for Dir en Grey, I think they're terrible. Am I going to explain my reasoning? No, because I (nor anybody) don't have to explain my musical opinion to a sixteen year old girl with distinct lack of taste in music.

I hear them, think they suck, and therefore don't listen to them. That's called logic.
Death metal is eternal.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:08 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Those are some pretty piss poor examples you just gave. Few to none of those bands have any sort of following on this forum.

As for Dir en Grey, I think they're terrible. Am I going to explain my reasoning? No, because I (nor anybody) don't have to explain my musical opinion to a sixteen year old girl with distinct lack of taste in music.

I hear them, think they suck, and therefore don't listen to them. That's called logic.

So that makes them automatically good? It's not my fault if you don't know a band. Why don't you try broadening your horizon.

Plus, my taste in music is super. You're just jealous because I have no bounderies when it comes to enjoying music.

And you don't even know what bands I listen to so how could you say my taste in music is bad? One band does not equal every other band I like.

Seriously though, sarcasm aside, many people on here are smug as shit, myself included obviously.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

I have to agree on Gazette; hate them too. I don't really like most Japanese bands. Except Sigh and Melt-Banana.

And being together for 11 years has nothing to do with talent. Iced Earth have been together far longer.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:16 pm 

diethylamide wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:

So that makes them automatically good? It's not my fault if you don't know a band. Why don't you try broadening your horizon.

Plus, my taste in music is super. You're just jealous because I have no bounderies when it comes to enjoying music.

And you don't even know what bands I listen to so how could you say my taste in music is bad? One band does not equal every other band I like.

Seriously though, sarcasm aside, many people on here are smug as shit, myself included obviously.

I like how you refute my argument by saying I don't know what kind of bands you listen to, and then you tell me to broaden my horizons. You have no idea what my "horizons" are. Many of my favorite bands aren't even metal. Rebuttal rejected.
Death metal is eternal.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I have to agree on Gazette; hate them too. I don't really like most Japanese bands. Except Sigh and Melt-Banana.

And being together for 11 years has nothing to do with talent. Iced Earth have been together far longer.

True, but if they didn't have any they would have either stayed indie or would have broken up. Sadly, most of their fans are 12 year old fangirl weaboos, which probably contributes to people hating them.

Melt Banana is one of the few bands that can do noise rock properly, which is somewhat ironic.

RedMisanthrope wrote:
I like how you refute my argument by saying I don't know what kind of bands you listen to, and then you tell me to broaden my horizons. You have no idea what my "horizons" are. Many of my favorite bands aren't even metal. Rebuttal rejected.

Touché, however, I was telling you to look up the bands you didn't know, since you said they have little to no following.

Neither are mine. Again, it's called sarcasm, sorry if you can't recognise it.

frigidpony
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:26 pm 

I'm kind of amazed that Dir En Grey got any kind of popularity in the states, I first heard about them six years ago from a co-worker who was so into that scene that she travelled to Japan once a year to go to concerts. As I recall, she had several pictures of them on her cube where they were dressed in full dresses and wigs. They've certainly made an about-face as far as image is concerned, without really toning down their music much at all..

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 pm 

frigidpony wrote:
I'm kind of amazed that Dir En Grey got any kind of popularity in the states, I first heard about them six years ago from a co-worker who was so into that scene that she travelled to Japan once a year to go to concerts. As I recall, she had several pictures of them on her cube where they were dressed in full dresses and wigs. They've certainly made an about-face as far as image is concerned, without really toning down their music much at all..

Most of the reason why they are so popular is because of the Internet, weaboos and anime. People find out about anime, then JPop, then visual-kei, and bam. Bad bands gain popularity and it spreads like wildfire.

But, yeah. I commend you for recognising the fact that they look completely different from back then.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:33 pm 

diethylamide wrote:

RedMisanthrope wrote:

Touché, however, I was telling you to look up the bands you didn't know, since you said they have little to no following.

Neither are mine. Again, it's called sarcasm, sorry if you can't recognise it.

Looks like reading isn't one of your strong points, so I'll dissect this so even you can understand it.

The examples you gave of bands that suck compared to Dir En Gray were bad ones because no one here likes them. I myself know of three of the four bands, and dislike all three of them. You seem to have gotten confused somewhere.

And please, stop hiding behind the "oh, it was sarcasm" veil. This is the internet, and sarcasm needs audio and sometimes visual hints to be recognized. Neither are possible here.
Death metal is eternal.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Looks like reading isn't one of your strong points, so I'll dissect this so even you can understand it.

It really isn't. That's probably why I don't read as much as I should.

Quote:
The examples you gave of bands that suck compared to Dir En Grey were bad ones because no one here likes them. I myself know of three of the four bands, and dislike all three of them. You seem to have gotten confused somewhere.

That doesn't mean I can't use them as examples. And how exactly do you know no one on here likes them? Your musical tastes aren't the same as everyone else.

Quote:
And please, stop hiding behind the "oh, it was sarcasm" veil. This is the internet, and sarcasm needs audio and sometimes visual hints to be recognized. Neither are possible here.

This is where the sarcasm was, in case you weren't sure.
diethylamide wrote:

Last edited by diethylamide on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 pm 

Quote:
That doesn't mean I can't use them as examples. And how exactly do you know no one on here likes them? Your musical tastes aren't the same as everyone else.

You see, I've been on this forum for over a year now, and have a general idea of what many of the regular's taste in music. Oh sure, there might be the small handful of people who don't really mind Dragonforce, or Job for A Cowboy, but it's not enough people to give any strength to your argument.

diethylamide wrote:

That's not the statement I used to based my statement(s) off of.
Death metal is eternal.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
You see, I've been on this forum for over a year now, and have a general idea of what many of the regular's taste in music. Oh sure, there might be the small handful of people who don't really mind Dragonforce, or Job for A Cowboy, but it's not enough people to give any strength to your argument.

Yes it is. Again, your opinion does not equal anyone elses.

RedMisanthrope wrote:
diethylamide wrote:

That's not the statement I used to based my statement(s) off of.

Well, that was the only sentence in which I used sarcasm. Unless you mean previous posts.

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:57 pm 

Quote:

Go ahead and start a Job For a Cowboy thread. See how many positive responses you get.

Here's my point. A very small number of people here like Dir En Grey, get over it. Analyzing and trivializing everyone who has a diverging opinion to your own does really do anything except give this thread meaningless, extra pages. Liking a band that few others do doesn't make you unique or mean that you're more open minded. It just means that you like a shitty band (I'm basing this off of popular opinion, of course.)

And yes, you're a butthurt fanboy. I've gotten all the fun I can from trivializing your arguments. Plus if I don't stop soon, I might get what could have been a decent thread locked. Of course, you're pretty much the guilty party in this clusterfucking derail. Goodbye.
Death metal is eternal.

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Quote:

Go ahead and start a Job For a Cowboy thread. See how many positive responses you get.

Here's my point. A very small number of people here like Dir En Grey, get over it. Analyzing and trivializing everyone who has a diverging opinion to your own does really do anything except give this thread meaningless, extra pages. Liking a band that few others do doesn't make you unique or mean that you're more open minded. It just means that you like a shitty band (I'm basing this off of popular opinion, of course.)

And yes, you're a butthurt fanboy. I've gotten all the fun I can from trivializing your arguments. Plus if I don't stop soon, I might get what could have been a decent thread locked. Of course, you're pretty much the guilty party in this clusterfucking derail. Goodbye.

Fangirl, unfortunately. And I've only added one page and I don't see how it would have been decent since obviously no one on here likes them. I'll go back to Batsu and leave you elitists now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:12 pm 

Liking music that we hate doesn't make us elitists. Most people don't seem to realize this. It's just a word that assholes throw around to think they got the upper hand in whatever argument they were losing: "I may have shitty taste in music, but at least I'm not an ELITIST!"

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:46 pm 

diethylamide wrote:
Pfuntner wrote:

They sound nothing like Faith No More. And no, Raison D'etre isn't even a dance song. You are terrible with your genres.

Alright the second tune had a bunch of funk bass and squeky guitar parts that reminded me of FNM, but I'll admit that was more of a personal vibe that might be subjective. But I don't know how you could consider that third tune ANYTHING but dance rock. The disco drum beat pretty much gave it away. And anyway, take a chill pill, it's not like I burnt your house down or something.

EDIT: I should have just let this matter die.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:33 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Liking music that we hate doesn't make us elitists. Most people don't seem to realize this. It's just a word that assholes throw around to think they got the upper hand in whatever argument they were losing: "I may have shitty taste in music, but at least I'm not an ELITIST!"

I love the elitist argument! I obviously consider myself better than everybody else because I'd rather listen to Melechesh over Pantera. Liking predominately one genre also makes me elitist because I obviously don't like anything with variety (keep in mind that most indie snobs that try this argument on me listen exclusively to Beatles clones with far less diversity than the average metal band). Pay no mind to the fact that I love post rock and consider Queen to be possibly the greatest rock band to ever exist, I only listen to tr00 raw black metal (which is actually probably one of my least favorite genres of metal).

I love the elitist argument because as soon as somebody accuses somebody else of it, it's kind of their way of saying "disregard everything I say from now on".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

diethylamide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:03 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Liking predominately one genre also makes me elitist because I obviously don't like anything with variety (keep in mind that most indie snobs that try this argument on me listen exclusively to Beatles clones with far less diversity than the average metal band).

I kind of lol'd.
My friend listens to almost nothing but the Beatles, except he admits that they suck(ed).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:22 am 

This conversation is going nowhere.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3