Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sloughfegkillers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:28 am 

Hi i'm new to this forum and thought i'd share some of my thoughts about one of my favourite bands,The Lord Weird Slough Feg,i consider these guys especially their first four albums to be among the finest examples of original true Metal i've heard from a current band,albums like Down Among The Deadmen,Traveller and the s/t album have the ability to really transport the listen and i don't think i've heard any bands that really compare.If anyone knows of similar bands,band please let me know,cheers

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 am 

Ditto, I love The Lord Weird Slough Feg too. Yes, they are very original. As for a band that's like them, I don't think there is. There are bands with a similar sound, but nothing quite like them. Truly, very few bands can compare, at least in my opinion. Every album of theirs is quite awesome. I love them all.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 am 

They still haven't clicked with me.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 am 

Definitely my favorite band not to form in the 80's. Brocas Helm was probably a large influence on The Lord Weird Slough Feg so check out their album Into Battle.

sloughfegkillers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:32 am 

I'll be sure to check out Brocas Helm,thanx guys!!

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:41 am 

I love The Lord Weird Slough Feg, they're not reinventing the wheel but they have a fresh sound. I've enjoyed every album they've released.

BaronBlitzkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 am 

They're one of the most consistent and inventive bands that were founded in the 90s. My favorite album by them is Traveller because of its original sci-fi concept.
A few days ago I checked out Scalzi's other band, Hammers of Misfortune, and they are also excellent. They sound like Slough Feg with a healthy dose of 70s prog thrown in.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:27 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:

Ditto. So far, I've found a few worthwhile tracks, and sure, they sound unique, but their music somehow doesn't captivated me as it seems to be the general consensus. Something's missing, it's all a bit tame. Yet, I actually like Hammers Of Misfortune.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:46 am 

Man, I love Slough Feg. Endlessly creative, catchy, powerful and relevant, they've never done a bad album. Not yet at least. Down Among the Deadmen and Traveller are their best albums. For similar bands...well there really aren't any, aside from maybe Brocas Helm and some early Manilla Road and Iron Maiden.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:25 am 

I would suggest Pagan Altar and DoomSword.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am 

They're a good band, but I tend to find that the two albums I've heard don't really get heavy enough; for the most part it's extremely happy music, and the riffing is not what I'd describe has heavy. They have a pretty original sound; they'd be great if there was some sort of menace or heaviness to their sound. As it stands though it's good music with uninspired, tepid execution.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:

Yeah, same here.

----------------
Now playing: David Gilmour - A Pocketful Of Stones [Live]

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 pm 

slough feg is a nice new epic power metal band in the style of brocas helm and manilla road.

sloughfegkillers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 pm 

twophoton wrote:

Two bands i absolutely love,both bands recent albums are phenomenal,just ordered, The Lord Weird Slough Feg- The Slay Stack Grows-Early Demos And Live Recordings,can't wait to get this released just a couple of weeks ago through Shadow Kingdom records,also has an interview at the end with Scalzi

Frozenbirth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:30 pm 

They were good.

This supports my hypothesis that the inabillity to spell "hypothesis" represents the retarded state of the poster.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:44 pm 

I love this band. Especially their early material is great. Down Among The Deadmen and Twilight Of The Idols are both godly. They are something that I find to be totally Unique, even if they have influences that can be traced to Brocas Helm, but above all, they have a quality that is matched by only a small number of bands.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:02 pm 

sloughfegkillers wrote:
twophoton wrote:

Two bands i absolutely love,both bands recent albums are phenomenal,just ordered, The Lord Weird Slough Feg- The Slay Stack Grows-Early Demos And Live Recordings,can't wait to get this released just a couple of weeks ago through Shadow Kingdom records,also has an interview at the end with Scalzi

A little bit more doomy, but Hour of 13 are great, too.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:57 pm 

Only heard Down Among The Deadmen but I love it. Takes alittle getting used to but once it registers just right, its catchy as fuck.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:19 pm 

I'm a big fan of TLWSF. I have yet to find an album of theirs that I don't like.

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 pm 

Excellent band! They play an interesting combination of US power/folk/traditional with hints of doom and thrash in places. there are a lot of epic riffs and awesome harmonies. And it's a real breath of fresh air to hear a vocalist in one of these kinds of bands that isn't a shrieker (Mike is a deep baritone). All of the Slough Feg albums I've heard so far sound fresh and unique. People who love classic metal would be advised to check these guys out.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 pm 

Love them. Scalzi's voice adds a lot to it the sound...too bad he left Hammers of Misfortune. The new album(s) needed him. Does anyone know any other vocalist similar to him?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am 

I find Brocas Helm to be occasionally similar .. that is, they clearly influenced Slough Feg quite a bit. I guess both bands are quite inspired by Thin Lizzy, so check them both out.

Not the biggest Slough Feg fan here, but I admire their approach.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:12 pm 

Don't they have a fair bit of Cirith Ungol there too?

aces_high wrote:
And it's a real breath of fresh air to hear a vocalist in one of these kinds of bands that isn't a shrieker (Mike is a deep baritone).

I'm kind of exhausted of the kind in doom metal though. :/ I want more baritones like Johan Längqvist on the Candlemass-debut, doing some wails aswell as emotional deep parts.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Last edited by Jarnroth on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:41 pm 

bar none my favorite band, i'm obsessed, and the majority of what i listen to is black metal.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm 

I like them very much, I only have "HardWorlder" and its an excellent album.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:05 pm 

Slough Feg own very hard. Awesome old-school vibe to all their albums (they have yet to release a weak record), in addition to catchy riffs and an interesting incorporation of folk elements without using synths or weird instruments.

As far bands that sound like LWSF, I would try Manilla Road and Legend (US). Slough Feg has covered songs by both these bands, and while they don't exactly sound like musical twins of each other those two bands are about as close as you'll get. More famous influences on their sound would be Ozzy-era Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden (and perhaps the NWOBHM scene in general).

EDIT:

Jarnroth wrote:
Don't they have a fair bit of Cirith Ungol there too?

I would say a little bit of that as well. There does seem to be a doomish vibe to their music that seems to be ignored when labeling their genre. Personally, I see more doom metal influence in their sound than power metal. Neither label is entirely accurate, though.

- John Calvin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 pm 

They have always been Heavy Metal, with influences from other genres, nothing less.

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
They have always been Heavy Metal, with influences from other genres, nothing less.

Yeah, pretty much. I've always found MA's labeling of Slough Feg as power/folk metal extremely misleading, as such a label conjures up images of Elvenking, or other such musical tragedies

- John Calvin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 pm 

0kill wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. I've always found MA's labeling of Slough Feg as power/folk metal extremely misleading, as such a label conjures up images of Elvenking, or other such musical tragedies

Yeah, haha, the folk/power tag is alright, but really, upon further listening, most of their guitar work is more influenced by Sabbath and Thin Lizzy, with a side platter of Maiden, than anything. I think I'll go change that...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.