Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 pm 

Oh man, the new Chronicles of Riddick game sounds like it's really going to be awesome. I mean, the first was, but some of the multiplayer types just sound incredible! Particularly "Pitch Black." Everyone against Riddick in dark environments. Guards only have flashlights (which vary in strength depending on the weapon they're attached to) and Riddick has Eyeshine (ie, night vision) and his arm blades. Whoever kills Riddick gets to be him the next round.

Back when I played 1.6 a lot, we used to have a similar mod on our server, but based on Predator. Fuck, that was awesome.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:56 pm 

I just started playing Okami again, and I must say that despite all appearances, it's a game that you don't have to be a complete Japanophile to love. It's got a really nice cel-shaded visual style, and it can get pretty absorbing.

iAm wrote:
I've been playing N64 a lot lately at my friends place, and I seriously think it puts any video game console out there today to shame. Mario Cart, Super Smash Bros, Perfect Dark, Legend of Zelda and of course Super Mario are some of the best video games ever.

I don't think I've ever owned an N64, and yet I still have memories associated with Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64 (yes, the one with the lame rap song), Super Smash Bros, Banjo-Kazooie, etc. just because of the various places and people I played those games with.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:10 pm 

Rare's games for N64 are absolutely incredible. Isn't there a new Banjo Kazooie for the 360? Does anyone have any opinions on this? I loved the first two games as a kid, but I don't think it would warrant buying an Xbox.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 pm 

Rare is being "restructured" by Microsoft.

http://www.developmag.com/news/31306/Rare-restructures

They failed to relive the N64 glory days on the 360. I have not played the new Banjo Kazooie (nuts and bolts) but I did beat Perfect Dark Zero and that game was an abomination.

Also on an unrelated note...

Did any lucky German forum members happen to get a rose from the Helghast who was walking around Munich? :P

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:25 am 

I realize this is old but...just...:lol:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new ... at/1238418

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 am 

Anybody watching the Starcraft pro-gaming streams?

Today is OSL Round of 16.

Bisu vs Yellow
Flash vs Best
Leta vs Tester
July vs Stork

I'm definitely staying up for it, and for those of you who are interested, it starts at 18:30 KST which is 1:30 PST and 4:30 EST.

You can find the link to the stream at http://sports.media.daum.net
-need WMP or equivalent.
-to find the stream, simply find the OGN stream that is live at 18:30, there should only be one.

I'm expecting some good games.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:12 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Oh man, the new Chronicles of Riddick game sounds like it's really going to be awesome. I mean, the first was, but some of the multiplayer types just sound incredible! Particularly "Pitch Black." Everyone against Riddick in dark environments. Guards only have flashlights (which vary in strength depending on the weapon they're attached to) and Riddick has Eyeshine (ie, night vision) and his arm blades. Whoever kills Riddick gets to be him the next round.

Yeah I'm really stoked for this. Its nice when someone comes up with a different kind of multiplayer mode, not just "shoot everyone in front of you."

In other news, I was recently lamenting the apparent demise of the MechWarrior series when I stumbled across this site:

http://mechlivinglegends.net/

Yes, it is a MechWarrior total conversion mod for Crysis, and it looks like its going to be fucking awesome. I mean, a Battlefield style MechWarrior game using the Crysis engine? Could it possibly be any more perfect? The team seems like they really know what they're doing also, and even the pre-alpha work looks damn good. Beta should be coming out in the next couple months, so it looks like its PC upgrading time for me!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

I heard about another guild that tried it. All they did was bring a lot of a certain class and have them wield a unique weapon so they'd burst the boss down before it went into a healing phase or something.

ebulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:06 am 

People still play Final Fantasy XI? I played it about fiveyears ago and it was terrible then

Samapico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 pm 

Chromillusion wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:

Yeah I'm really stoked for this. Its nice when someone comes up with a different kind of multiplayer mode, not just "shoot everyone in front of you."

In other news, I was recently lamenting the apparent demise of the MechWarrior series when I stumbled across this site:

http://mechlivinglegends.net/

Yes, it is a MechWarrior total conversion mod for Crysis, and it looks like its going to be fucking awesome. I mean, a Battlefield style MechWarrior game using the Crysis engine? Could it possibly be any more perfect? The team seems like they really know what they're doing also, and even the pre-alpha work looks damn good. Beta should be coming out in the next couple months, so it looks like its PC upgrading time for me!
I'm watching every single video of them on youtube... looks awesome. I didn't even play Crysis though, I might download it just to play that mod lol

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 pm 

I've been following that mod for some time now. It looks like it could be the real deal. There are loads of old clan members on the mod boards, all of which have said they bought (or will buy) Crysis just for this mod.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm 

FragKrag wrote:

Bisu vs Yellow
Flash vs Best
Leta vs Tester
July vs Stork

I'm definitely staying up for it, and for those of you who are interested, it starts at 18:30 KST which is 1:30 PST and 4:30 EST.

-need WMP or equivalent.
-to find the stream, simply find the OGN stream that is live at 18:30, there should only be one.

Not a lot of people on these forums are into that kind of stuff I'm afraid, I however do follow the scene relatively closely. I watch all the games with English casts on the VioleTAK account, apart from the stupid commentator idol crap noone cares about, along with GomTV of course. I also read a lot of news on teamliquid. I can't be bothered watching the Korean casts for some reason though.

Oh and I actually play the damn thing now and then.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm 

That mech mod looks like it's going to be fantastic. Very excited now!

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:06 am 

josephus wrote:
I've been following that mod for some time now. It looks like it could be the real deal. There are loads of old clan members on the mod boards, all of which have said they bought (or will buy) Crysis just for this mod.

It seems like a lot of people have known about this for a while. I have no idea where I've been that I didn't know about it. I've been a huge fan of the series for a long time and somehow I missed this completely until last weekend. I thought I was keeping up on all that stuff.

Anyway, it looks like I'm about to spend $1000 upgrading my computer. Well, I'm basically putting all new stuff in my old case. The only parts I'm leaving are my PSU and DVD drive. I haven't been so excited since I built it the first time.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 pm 

Not really sure why I haven't heard any mention of it in this thread yet, but Street Fighter IV is pretty damn awesome. I used to play a whole lot of Street Fighter II Turbo back in the day and this game plays very familiarly to that. The game looks sick, plays sick and is just really awesome. I'm not really fond of the new characters because most of them seem like stereotypes, but I feel like IV has a cozy feeling to that of the early SF titles.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:48 pm 

Chromillusion wrote:
Anyway, it looks like I'm about to spend $1000 upgrading my computer. Well, I'm basically putting all new stuff in my old case. The only parts I'm leaving are my PSU and DVD drive. I haven't been so excited since I built it the first time.

$1000?! What the heck are you getting that will cost $1000? You could get something really good for less than half that if you've got the case, power supply and dvd drive.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 am 

Lost and Damned is awesome. I'll just say holy shit and leave it at that.

They really surprised me with their new LCHC songs. Bathory, Kreator, Celtic Frost, even some of the more mainstream stuff like Cannibal Corpse and At The Gates. I found it hilarious that Max Cavalera was voicing the DJ. Hearing him say DEATH FUCKING METAL made me laugh.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 am 

Bash wrote:
FragKrag wrote:

Bisu vs Yellow
Flash vs Best
Leta vs Tester
July vs Stork

-need WMP or equivalent.

Not a lot of people on these forums are into that kind of stuff I'm afraid, I however do follow the scene relatively closely. I watch all the games with English casts on the VioleTAK account, apart from the stupid commentator idol crap noone cares about, along with GomTV of course. I also read a lot of news on teamliquid. I can't be bothered watching the Korean casts for some reason though.

Oh and I actually play the damn thing now and then.

I wasn't expecting much from the forum, but I know such people exist!

In case you have never seen me (I have like 2k posts), I'm FragKrag on TL.net as well! You should watch the OSL and MSL, the players there tend to practice more for it than for the Gom. I watch MSL because Nal_rA gets excited when he casts :) can't understand a word though.

I don't watch Gom mostly because the Gom player won't work on Mac. The Daum sports works fine though, so I end up staying awake to watch. I didn't end up finishing watching the OSL ro16, only watched Julyzerg vs Stork.

Today is another OSL day though
Bisu vs Yellow[arnc]
by.hero vs fantasy
hwasin vs upmagic
jaedong vs ggplay

I'm expecting some good games~

I mean because of SC, I have gotten 3-4 hours of sleep for the last week T_T

KayTeeBee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 am 

I just got Street Fighter IV. it's pretty damn awesome, but like with every other game in the series, you have to learn the combos for every character to be effective, which kinda sucks. Still, it's a good game.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:20 pm 

I tried to give Fallout 3 a chance but ... just couldn't get into it at all. I really wanted to like it, but yeah. Not for me I guess. Well, I started up a new full time job three weeks ago and wasn't always in the mood for doing things anyways, that may have had something to do with it also... I just borrowed it from a friend, so no loss. I think I'll still try to play it here and there.

On the other hand, I'm in fucking love with FEAR 2. Guess I'm still just an easy to please / linear FPS fan.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:01 pm 

So I am looking for a good RTS game, and was wondering if you, the good folks around here could give me some recs.

Some requirements:
Must be on a PS3 (I know, not many of those here).
Hopefully it will be very large scale. Epic, even.
Be long. Though not a requirement, I want a relatively long game. Not a single campaign, 2 day type of deal.

Thanks a lot for all of your advice and recommendations.

Alon.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm 

RTS on a console, are you kidding?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:52 pm 

Yeah dude, RTS on a console, especially the PS3, is a go preceded by a no. To me, RTS's don't belong on consoles. However, a small search warrants World in Conflict and such as your best bet. I dunno, consoles alone have a limited amount of RTS's. All the good stuff is on PC.

World In Conflict - Soviet Union invades USA. That's pretty epic to me. I dunno exactly how long it is single player wise, but it's fun, from what I remember of the first one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:49 pm 

KayTeeBee wrote:
I just got Street Fighter IV. it's pretty damn awesome, but like with every other game in the series, you have to learn the combos for every character to be effective, which kinda sucks. Still, it's a good game.

This game is fantastic. The combos aren't really hard, the controls are very tight. I've been playing it so much since my roommate got it on wednesday

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:52 pm 

I mostly play older games. I like stuff like Diablo II (no introduction needed I expect), Age of Empires (II and III, both are excellent RTS games when you understand them well) and some Star Wars games like the Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy duo (dueling on them is awesome) and flight sim games such as Tie Fighter (it's been a while since I've gotten it to work) and X-Wing Alliance, one of the best games ever IMO, since it really has that Star Wars feeling to it.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:31 am 

aChapo wrote:
So I am looking for a good RTS game, and was wondering if you, the good folks around here could give me some recs.

Some requirements:
Must be on a PS3 (I know, not many of those here).
Hopefully it will be very large scale. Epic, even.
Be long. Though not a requirement, I want a relatively long game. Not a single campaign, 2 day type of deal.

Thanks a lot for all of your advice and recommendations.

Alon.

Red Alert 3 "Ultimate Edition" is coming out soon for the PS3. It will have some exclusive maps and naval units if that is your sort of thing.

Comes out March 23 according to Amazon.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 pm 

I'm once again playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and again it struck me how freaking DARK this game is;

Ripped up murders on a pier, A dealer in human body parts, A demon feasting on a film crew in an abandoned hospital, snuff-films, schitzofrenics, a fucking zombie plague in an apartment building, evil spirits residing in an hotel...

damn this game kicks so much ass!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:28 pm 

KayTeeBee wrote:
but like with every other game in the series

Uhh.... no? I haven't played IV yet but every other game in the series has never relied on combos. It's always been about zone management and move punishment.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:20 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
I'm once again playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines...
damn this game kicks so much ass!
Yup. Love the game. I loved the characters in it too, especially Jack.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:40 pm 

Thanks T51b/Ozzy, I will check those out.

T51b - Is it necessary to play the first two to understand the third?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:47 pm 

rexxz wrote:
KayTeeBee wrote:
but like with every other game in the series

Uhh.... no? I haven't played IV yet but every other game in the series has never relied on combos. It's always been about zone management and move punishment.

Basically. It's about being able to exploit an opening in your foe and be able to constantly barrage it, or get him/her to budge to switching up their style with an onslaught of powerful of special moves.

I fucking love Street Fighter IV. It's like 1992 all over again, except you can't physically wallop your opponent when he spams one attack over again through the entire match.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm 

aChapo wrote:
Thanks T51b/Ozzy, I will check those out.

T51b - Is it necessary to play the first two to understand the third?

Not really, I have been a fan of C&C for many years and the story (if that is important to you) is always advanced fairly well via cutscenes. I have not played this one yet but you can download the trailer for the Ultimate Edition and it gives you a little bit of the back story/features of the game.

I will be picking it up once it is released. So many good games coming out in such a short period of time is putting the hurting on the wallet.

Killzone 2 releases in 5 days and I am finally starting to see commercials on TV. Sony had me worried there for a bit that North America was going to be left out of the Advertising Campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs4IUlY7 ... re=related

I like the "War. Perfected" they had going on at the end. A little jab at "Combat Evolved" maybe? :P

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm 

Sony did the most retarded thing for Killzone 2, ever. They should have taken the advertising machine for the game and had it churning more than a month ago. I mean yeah you saw the occasional videogame magazine ad for it, but there's literally no commercials for it in heavy rotation, bus ads, billboards, the fucking works. Sony seems to have this attitude of "this game is going to sell itself." which is the worst attitude to have right now, especially with how much Sony is hurting. They should be putting so much more effort and money behind this game, and they should have started right after Resistance 2 was released.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 pm 

T51b wrote:
Not really, I have been a fan of C&C for many years and the story (if that is important to you) is always advanced fairly well via cutscenes. I have not played this one yet but you can download the trailer for the Ultimate Edition and it gives you a little bit of the back story/features of the game.

I hope the cut scenes will be good. For me, cut scenes in a game are the definition of corny. One can only hope...

All the other people:
Why is the idea of a console RTS is so ridiculous?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 pm 

aChapo wrote:
T51b wrote:

I hope the cut scenes will be good. For me, cut scenes in a game are the definition of corny. One can only hope...

All the other people:

Let someone else delve into why an RTS is better on a PC - I can't come up with a convincing enough essay for you.

About the cutscenes in C&C. Dude, C&C is a legend when it comes to cutscenes. The most overacted, underacted, underpaid, overpaid, ridiculous, over-the-top, wtf, boobies, and yummy custcenes ever in a game.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 pm 

aChapo wrote:
T51b wrote:

All the other people:

Red Alert cut scenes are pretty corny, but it is in a lovable way. :P

Lack of keyboard and mouse support is a huge culprit for people disliking RTS games on consoles. It is just not as smooth using a gamepad.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm 

aChapo wrote:
T51b wrote:

All the other people:

Because a RTS needs versatility.

A Keyboard and a mouse have many functional components that are often used and required in console RTS.

I'll take Starcraft as an example- You can group groups of units by pressing ctrl and a number and use that number to access those same units instantly. On the keyboard, A can be used instead of Attack. M can be used instead of move... etc. The mouse itself is extremely important because it offers speed and precision, which the controller can not.

Whereas a controller has... x/triangle/o/square, two analogs, start, select, and R1/R2/L1/L2 + directional buttons. With fewer controls, the game becomes much slower and less efficient. And one of the most important aspects of a RTS is the speed that is required. Without speed, it'd be a TBS like Civilization or Alpha Centauri.

FPS follows the same rule with RTS.

Oh and C&C cutscenes are retarded. Nothing that comes close to Blizzard or FF cutscenes.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm 

I see, but then again, you can connect a keyboard to a PS3 (and I think an XBOX360 too, though I'm not sure about it). And really, how many different controls are there REALLY are? The DS3 has 18 buttons, are they really not enough (plus you can add some combos like R1+L1, etc). Finally, are the analog sticks that non precise/dull? I mean, sure, they are not as accurate/fast as a mouse, but come on!

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm 

Starcraft 64 was an interesting experience to say the least. :P

I still play Warcraft II on the playstation sometimes. It is not terrible once you get used to it but a keyboard and mouse is always going to be superior.

Of course you could always get one of these for your PS3...

and just use a mouse and keyboard. :P

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:43 pm 

Accuracy is extremely important for micro. If you don't have as much precision as possible, you end up wasting units and wasting time. If it takes me half a second to select my units and it takes you 2 seconds to select yours, you lose more and can't manage as efficiently.

Combinations are great, but still inefficient. I need two fingers on a controller to do what 1 finger can do.

Well for the controls in Starcraft, you can use the 1-0 zero keys, F keys, all the letters on the keyboard, and probably more in future RTS.

Of course you can connect a mouse and keyboard to it, but the game will not have full support for it unless the developers want people using keyboard and mouse to have an advantage over the more popular controller.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 940  Next