Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:02 am 

Prominence wrote:
You can't go wrong with Sabian AA or AAX, or some HHX too... but they're not quite as durable.

I use a powerstroke 3 clear for my kick. With the blanket in it, I can sometimes get a really awesome, full deep thud out of it.

Shit yeah, the Powerstroke 3 is great. I had it on my kick before I got the Superkick II. Thinking about going back.

And yeah, the AA and AAX are pretty good. I have an 18" AA Metal-X crash and it is durable as all hell! Those are definitely cymbals for hard hitters. My only problem with them is that they're actually not that loud.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:58 pm 

Prominence wrote:
My advice is don't try to be a lamb of god clone. It's always good having a vision of the sound you want, but be aware tuning and even the room you are in make as big a difference as the drums themselves, and getting the exact same drums as someone else without first having heard them will not necessarily get you the sound you want. Production, the room, the heads, the tuning... all makes a huge difference in the sound

Well, I'm not exactly trying to be a Lamb of God clone. I switched over to Paiste a couple of weeks ago. Chris used to use a Pearl kit that included 2 bass drums, 2 floor toms, and 3 rack toms, and he had a Mapex 12.5 Bird's Eye Maple Snare Drum. He had Pearl Hardware, Zildjian and Paiste Cymbals, and Axis Pedals. I know he used Zildjian A Customs, and Hi Hats, he had a splash and a zil bel. He had a Paiste 20" 3000 RUDE Crash/Ride, and a Paiste Flanger Bell. He had remo heads. I just wanted the Zildjians because they didn't cost that much. The A Customs are expensive. The thing is I can't try the drums becuase the music store that I want to buy the drum kit in is all the way in the Mississippi. I'm in fucking Maryland. Fuck. I could go to my Guitar Center in Maryland and just buy good heads, and preorder the kit, which was my plan, but, I just wanted to get all my equipment from the online store.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 pm 

The ride Chris Adler is using currently is fucking godly. Meinl MB20 24" Pure Metal Ride. I want one of those so badly.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
The ride Chris Adler is using currently is fucking godly. Meinl MB20 24" Pure Metal Ride. I want one of those so badly.

Thats true, its hard to get a used one. They cost from $400-500. Save up, and get one. Its godly because Chris Adler is God, or aleast is a God, or God of all Gods

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 pm 

Ruin11thHour wrote:
TheRealThing wrote:

Thats true, its hard to get a used one. They cost from $400-500. Save up, and get one. Its godly because Chris Adler is God, or aleast is a God, or God of all Gods

It may be the next ride I get. It sometimes seems to have too much wash for me. Ideally I'd like to have two rides, one with a warm wash and light ping and the other with almost no wash and a very bright ping. Right now I'm stuck with a Zildjian ZBT 20" ride :(. That thing's bell is awful.

And yes, he is definitely godly. I wouldn't say God of all gods. As far as technical metal drumming goes, Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel) and George Kollias (Nile) seem to have him beat.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:
TheRealThing wrote:

It may be the next ride I get. It sometimes seems to have too much wash for me. Ideally I'd like to have two rides, one with a warm wash and light ping and the other with almost no wash and a very bright ping. Right now I'm stuck with a Zildjian ZBT 20" ride :(. That thing's bell is awful.

And yes, he is definitely godly. I wouldn't say God of all gods. As far as technical metal drumming goes, Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel) and George Kollias (Nile) seem to have him beat.

So, what would you recommend as a bright ride with a bright bell for about $100-200?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:59 pm 

Here is a page from www.musiciansfriend.com with a list of $100-$200 ride cymbals:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/ride-cymbals-drums-percussion?N=100001+330856+8

Of the cymbals listed, here are some I'd recommend trying out in order of first to last as listed on the web page I gave you:

Zildjian Z Custom Ride Cymbal - Very loud and thick cymbal. You will have a hard time breaking this one. It has a big wash, loud bell and ping, something to what you described.

Meinl Classics Powerful Ride Cymbal - Similar to the Z Custom. Not as thick/loud, and the bell isn't as large. This cymbal is better if you are looking for a more toned down sound.

Paiste Alpha Heavy Ride Cymbal and Paiste Alpha Metal Ride Cymbal - Thick, loud, and bright. Nice bell sound. The Heavy is thicker and a bit louder than the Metal.

That is just a brief list. If you're as picky as me, you'd do a lot of research before buying. Make sure you try out any cymbal you are considering purchasing. If you cannot (Meinl's aren't the easiest to find in large-scale stores), at least give the sound bytes the official websites have a listen.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Here is a page from www.musiciansfriend.com with a list of $100-$200 ride cymbals:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/ride-cymbals-drums-percussion?N=100001+330856+8

Of the cymbals listed, here are some I'd recommend trying out in order of first to last as listed on the web page I gave you:

Zildjian Z Custom Ride Cymbal - Very loud and thick cymbal. You will have a hard time breaking this one. It has a big wash, loud bell and ping, something to what you described.

Meinl Classics Powerful Ride Cymbal - Similar to the Z Custom. Not as thick/loud, and the bell isn't as large. This cymbal is better if you are looking for a more toned down sound.

Paiste Alpha Heavy Ride Cymbal and Paiste Alpha Metal Ride Cymbal - Thick, loud, and bright. Nice bell sound. The Heavy is thicker and a bit louder than the Metal.

That is just a brief list. If you're as picky as me, you'd do a lot of research before buying. Make sure you try out any cymbal you are considering purchasing. If you cannot (Meinl's aren't the easiest to find in large-scale stores), at least give the sound bytes the official websites have a listen.

Thanks for that man. I got somemore questions. First of all, do you get pissed off when the same person keeps asking you questions?, do you know of any double bass kits from $500-1000, do you know of any good high-pitched snare drum from $100-200?, do you know of any good heads to put on the kit, and can you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl8Ea_zr9Z4, and tel me if I was good, or bad, cause I'm drumming in the video?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:47 am 

Haha ah no problem at all with the questions man. Drumming and the talk of makes me giddy inside no matter when I or how much I talk about it!

First off, I'll start with your video. You did very well! I remember watching that video not too long ago haha. You're loose and relaxed, and quite on tempo. Some of the fills are a little sloppy, especially the fast singles.

Double Bass kits: Stay away from the Pulse and Sound Percussion Double Bass kits. Cheap, but absolute trash. The Joey Jordinson Double Bass kit is a little better, but still doesn't sound that good in my opinion. Here are some good ones in your price range:

PDP 7-Piece Double Bass for $1199.99

ddrum Dominion AMX 7-piece Double Bass Shell Pack for $1199.99 (You can opt for 24" or 22" inch bass drums)

Taye RockPro 7-Piece Double Bass Shell Pack for $911.00

Taye Pro-X 7 Piece Double Bass Drum Shell Pack for $1205.00

Once again, the list isn't all inclusive.

Snare drums: http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/acoustic-drums-snare?N=100001+304766+8

On that page, the ddrum S4 Maple, Porkpie Little Squealer, most of the piccolo snares. For high pitched drums, semi-thick to thick drums are good. Especially maple ones. Steel snares are generally lower-pitched. Brass and others are alright. The Pearl Firecracker is also great. Explodes.

The heads are all dependent on the sound you want. If you'd tell me what you're looking for I can help you a bit more in that area.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Haha ah no problem at all with the questions man. Drumming and the talk of makes me giddy inside no matter when I or how much I talk about it!

First off, I'll start with your video. You did very well! I remember watching that video not too long ago haha. You're loose and relaxed, and quite on tempo. Some of the fills are a little sloppy, especially the fast singles.

Double Bass kits: Stay away from the Pulse and Sound Percussion Double Bass kits. Cheap, but absolute trash. The Joey Jordinson Double Bass kit is a little better, but still doesn't sound that good in my opinion. Here are some good ones in your price range:

PDP 7-Piece Double Bass for $1199.99

ddrum Dominion AMX 7-piece Double Bass Shell Pack for $1199.99 (You can opt for 24" or 22" inch bass drums)

Taye RockPro 7-Piece Double Bass Shell Pack for $911.00

Taye Pro-X 7 Piece Double Bass Drum Shell Pack for $1205.00

Once again, the list isn't all inclusive.

Snare drums: http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/acoustic-drums-snare?N=100001+304766+8

On that page, the ddrum S4 Maple, Porkpie Little Squealer, most of the piccolo snares. For high pitched drums, semi-thick to thick drums are good. Especially maple ones. Steel snares are generally lower-pitched. Brass and others are alright. The Pearl Firecracker is also great. Explodes.

The heads are all dependent on the sound you want. If you'd tell me what you're looking for I can help you a bit more in that area.

Thanks for your comments on the video. I didn't do all that weel, but it was okay, I guess. Anyway, with the heads, for snares, the tone I'm trying to get is high pitched, and also to some what of a Killswitch Engage snare drum, for toms, low sounding, and bass drums, low sounding, almost tight sounding, but not to tight to break the head. I tie my drums well, read this: snare drums are as tight as the head might break, toms are tied very low, and my bass drum is tight. So, help?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:16 am 

For the bass drum, you'll like the Remo Clear Powerstroke 3. A lot of metal drummers use those. Make sure you get the Remo Falam Slam to put on your kick so it doesn't break nearly as fast. I think if you buy that head it comes with one. The Aquarian Superkick II is great. I use that one. Used to use the Powerstroke 3.

For the snare, Remo Coated Emperor and Remo Coated Sound Control Reverse Dot are good. I use the Sound Control and it lasts a long time. Even the frost takes a long time to wear. The Evans ST Dry Coated snare head is good. It rings a little more than the other two I listed but is still a good buy.

For the toms, Remo Ebony Pinstripe, Evans G2 Coated, Remo Clear Pinstripe, Remo Coated Emperor, Evans EC2 Clear. Those are the ones I've had experience with. The G2 Coated really makes your floor toms roar and your rack toms sing. The Ebony's have a very dark and unique sound. Clear Pinstripes have a very controlled sound. Used by many metal drummers, as well are the Coated Emperors. The Coated Emperors allow for a little more of the tom's natural tone to ring out. I'm currently using the EC2's, and they are by far my favorite. I wouldn't suggest them for what you are looking for, however. I tune my toms somewhat tight just because I've been obsessed with a jazzy sound out of my drums lately.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:41 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
For the bass drum, you'll like the Remo Clear Powerstroke 3. A lot of metal drummers use those. Make sure you get the Remo Falam Slam to put on your kick so it doesn't break nearly as fast. I think if you buy that head it comes with one. The Aquarian Superkick II is great. I use that one. Used to use the Powerstroke 3.

For the snare, Remo Coated Emperor and Remo Coated Sound Control Reverse Dot are good. I use the Sound Control and it lasts a long time. Even the frost takes a long time to wear. The Evans ST Dry Coated snare head is good. It rings a little more than the other two I listed but is still a good buy.

For the toms, Remo Ebony Pinstripe, Evans G2 Coated, Remo Clear Pinstripe, Remo Coated Emperor, Evans EC2 Clear. Those are the ones I've had experience with. The G2 Coated really makes your floor toms roar and your rack toms sing. The Ebony's have a very dark and unique sound. Clear Pinstripes have a very controlled sound. Used by many metal drummers, as well are the Coated Emperors. The Coated Emperors allow for a little more of the tom's natural tone to ring out. I'm currently using the EC2's, and they are by far my favorite. I wouldn't suggest them for what you are looking for, however. I tune my toms somewhat tight just because I've been obsessed with a jazzy sound out of my drums lately.

Thanks man. I have 2 more, cause I think I'm pissing you off a little inside. What is some good hardware, and why not get the Pulse, or Sound Percussion kits? The Pulse got good review, ony 1, or 2 people did'nt like it.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:50 am 

Sound Percussion and Pulse are great for a starter kit. They are inexpensive and are somewhat flexible. This is just my opinion, but I think they sound pretty bad when compared to the double bass sets I showed you. It is possible to make them sound decent, but if it was me, I'd shell out the couple extra hundred and get something that is a lot more durable and flexible. My first kit was from an off-brand company called Percussion Plus. The thing was a great starter kit, and I managed to tune it right so when I would play gigs with it, people would compliment the drum sound. But I can guarantee you that the effect would be even more so with a nicer kit. This is just my opinion, but I'm taking it from personal experience. If you think it is worth it or is what you're looking for at the time, go for it. :thumbsup:

Oh I totally forgot about hardware. Unlike their drum kits, sound percussion hardware is actually pretty durable and flexible. Their boom stands are well priced and efficient. I haven't used their thrones, so I'm a little inexperienced there. I have a Roc'N'Soc hydraulic throne. That thing is like sitting on a little piece of heaven! Other than that, I mostly have Tama RoadPro Boom Stands. They are in the range of seventy dollars a piece, but are heavy and durable. Some of the best hardware I've come across. For my hi-hat stand I use some sort of PDP stand. My double kick is a PDP as well. Personally, I prefer the Pearl Eliminator as a double kick. I just didn't have the money at the time and needed a replacement. My old double kick was a Pulse. The chain snapped right off the axel! :P
For any auxiliary hardware, Gibraltar makes very efficient and well priced products.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm 

I just had the darndest thing happen when I was playing... Lately, my snare has been sounding a little weird. Turns out that the skin part of the head was coming apart at the seams. I was just playing and all of a sudden, the skin started lifting up off the snare. It didn't rip... I've never seen this before haha. It was a Remo Controlled Sound Coated. Lasted about seven months...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
I just had the darndest thing happen when I was playing... Lately, my snare has been sounding a little weird. Turns out that the skin part of the head was coming apart at the seams. I was just playing and all of a sudden, the skin started lifting up off the snare. It didn't rip... I've never seen this before haha. It was a Remo Controlled Sound Coated. Lasted about seven months...

Seven months? Wow, you must've belted the shit out of it. My last snare drum never had its skin replaced (it sounded like pure shit, though :lol:), and this one has lasted over a year. Never heard of snare skin lifting...maybe it was too loose?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 pm 

I was just playing my kit, and I definitely need to get my bass drum reskinned. I put tape all over the tear, but now the beater gets slightly stuck in the hole/on the sticky side of the tape. Damn. :(

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:

How was the snare tuned? Low, or High?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:47 am 

DysrhythmicVexation wrote:
So. check out how many posts I've made. Woot! Ive been playing on the same set for about three and a half years now and I have to say. Its time for a new one. Im at a skill level where I think I deserve to be playing on something a bit nicer. What I have is small but gets the job done. I have found, playing a few other sets, that I would particularly enjoy having two floor toms and one rack tom. A more classic set up I know, but It just feels right to me. and one bass drum also is ok for be because I see a bit of trouble getting both to sound the same. and I have a double pedal. and 1 single crappy pedal. What I ask of all you metal drummers out there is give me a suggestion of what to look into. Pearl is really sounding appealing at the moment but if anyone knows of any sets that arent too pricey but also sound great. Lemme know. Id appreciate it alot. thank you. \m/

OCDP (Orange County Drum and Percussion) have very good kits, they cost alot though. Look into this kit:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Coun ... 1452785.gc
There kits cost alot, but the snare drums are different. Here are a couple:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Coun ... 1395756.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Coun ... 1428245.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Coun ... 1432714.gc
Heres a Tama add-on kit
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Rockst ... 1384626.gc
For heads, try Remo Pinstripes, and Emperor Coated heads. Look into some Aquarians for toms. For Bass Drums, try the Aquarian Superkick III, or Remo Pinstripe heads. For Snares, try the Aquarian Texture Coated Studio-X Drumhead. WARNING, only get the head if you want High-Pitched Sounding Snares. My Guitar Center Clerk recommended this, I put it on my PDP 13" Piccolo Steel Snare drum, and I wanted a Lamb of God typical Sounding New American Gospel sounding Snare. It didn't get high enough, BUT, it gets the job done, and its great sounding.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am 

mrmot wrote:
it's sop cheap .in my country double bass pedals are 4 times exepnsive

How much are they?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:01 am 

Prominence wrote:
I just got my Pearl Rack the other day (DR-503)... I love it so far, I've heard people complain about racks being "stiff", but it feels anything other than stiff compared to my old rackless setups. Do most people here use racks, and if so how do you feel about them?

Well, I have half a rack, but racks are recommended for various drummers. Most drummers use them to have alot of space, alot use them becuase of the number of their cymbals. I myslef, have a wishlist for cymbals, stands, hardware, etc. I want to use stands, it will take up alot of space, but if I could afford one, I would buy a rack. The least price for one is like $300 something $'s. Stands, like Sound Percussion, I look into. Not only are they sturdy, but they cost less money. They cost like $39.99. If you had a double bass kit, you would have to buy 2 racks. BUT, now on www.music123.com, every cymbal you buy, you get a free Sound Percussion boom arm. Racks only come with 2 PCL clamps, and 4 PCX clamps. No cymbal arms, so you gotta buy em. O Well, try the www.music123.com cymbal thing. Good Luck

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 am 

Okay, I got a new list. This envolves some Paiste Cymbals. I switched over to Paiste after I got a PST 5 Paiste Medium 18" Crash, and added it to my cymbal collection of Zildjian Planet Z's. Heres the list

Sound Percussion Pro 8-piece Double Bass Drum Set with Black Lugs
Kit Items Include:
• 1 Sound Percussion 5-Piece Drum Hardware Pack #581104
• 1 Sound Percussion 4-Piece Drum Hardware Pack #581103
• 1 Sound Percussion Pro 5-Piece Drum Shell Pack (Black Hoops and Lugs)
(Black) #581100 001
• 1 Sound Percussion Pro 3-Piece Double Bass Add-On Pack (Black Hoops and Lugs)
(Black) #581107 001
http://www.music123.com/Sound-Percussio ... 4.Music123
Sound Percussion SP880BS Double-Braced Boom Stand (9 of these)
http://www.music123.com/Sound-Percussio ... 2.Music123
Sound Percussion SPC18 Cymbal Boom Clamp (4 of these)
http://www.music123.com/Sound-Percussio ... 2.Music123
Axis X-L Longboard Single Drum Pedal (2 of these)
http://www.music123.com/Axis-X-L-Longbo ... 3.Music123
Sound Percussion SP880HS Double-Braced Hi-Hat Stand (2 of these)
http://www.music123.com/Sound-Percussio ... 4.Music123
Remo Coated Powerstroke 3 Bass Drum Head (2 of these), (22" Inches)
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Coated-Pow ... 0.Music123
Remo Falam Slam Pad Kevlar Bass Drum Patch (2 Pack)
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Falam-Slam ... Bass-Drum-
Patch--2-Pack--446932-i1165910.Music123
Remo Emperor Coated Drum Head (10", 12", 13"[2 of these], 14", 16", & 18"
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Emperor-Co ... ad-442306-
i1136313.Music123
Orange County Drums and Percussion X-Series Snare Drum (7X13" Red Sparkle)
http://www.music123.com/Orange-County-D ... 6.Music123
Paiste PST 3 Hi-Hats (2 of these), (14" Inches)
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-PST-3-Hi ... 3.Music123
Paiste Alpha Rock Crash Cymbal (16", 17", & 18" Inches)
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-Alpha-Ro ... 6.Music123
Paiste Alpha Thin Crash Cymbal (14" Inches)
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-Alpha-Th ... 5.Music123
Paiste Rude Mega Power Ride Cymbal
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-Rude-Meg ... 8.Music123
Paiste Alpha Metal Splash
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-Alpha-Me ... 9.Music123
Paiste Alpha Thin Splash Cymbal (8" Inches), (2 of these)
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-Alpha-Th ... 7.Music123
Paiste PST 5 China (16", & 18")
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-PST-5-Ch ... 5.Music123
Paiste 2002 Cup Chime Cymbal (5" Inches)
http://www.music123.com/Paiste-2002-Cup ... 0.Music123

Along with shipping/handiling, the whole thing will cost $3,282.50. This is a total of 13 cymbals (plus my Paiste PST 5 18" Medium Crash, & my Zildjian ZBT plus 14" China [signed by Chris Adler, Randy Blythe, John Campbell, Mark Morton, & Willie Adler on 5/11/09], {I've had it for some 8 years}. The cymbals can be heard here:
http://paiste.com/e/cymbalfam.php?menuid=3

Does anybody think these are good choices, any sugs for how to make it a little less costy, etc., just any sugs?
Sincerely,
Isaiah a.k.a. MINIWHEAT70 a.k.a. Ruin11thHour

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:59 am 

I saw a Paiste 302 Crash/Ride in the Guitar Center store for $39.99. Is it worth buying? Any sugs?
Sincerely,

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:05 am 

Vansoth wrote:
What are you guy's favorite setups? 3 up 1 down? 2 up down? 4 up 2 down? etc.

Now, I'm playing a Mapex VX Series 5 piece kit. I found a 16" old Bass drum, and a tom in my garage. There both the same color as my Mapex. I only use the tom. The bass drum is there for the decoration. I have a Pearl Double Pedal. I have 7 cymbals on the kit. I really have like 15 cymbals. Personelly, I like Double Bass kits, Kits like what Chris Adler used to use in the early Lamb of God days, and what he uses now. I like 3 rack toms, and 2 floor toms, along with 2 bass drums, and a snare drum. Thats my favorite kit.
Sincerely,

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:08 am 

Ruin11thHour wrote:
List

You're downgrading. Your Mapex is definitely a lot better than that Sound Percussion kit. Sound Percussion, as far as drums go, is pure trash. I'd buy less cymbals and put more into a nice kit. And that Paiste 305 or whatever that you saw at the shop - trash as well.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:48 am 

Hello. Its me, I'm back. BTW, If anyone cares to know, I have 22 subscribers! Anyway, can anyone recommend any microphones that are inexpensive, but still get the job done? I need 8 in total, 3 for the rack toms, 2 for the floor toms, 2 for the 2 bass drums, and 1 for my snare. Thank You!
Sincerely,

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:14 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:
oneinfinity wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Ok, I'm in a band where I play lead drums and soloing guitar, and our band was only playing instrumenuals. Then we decided to have one of us do vocals, and it turns out I have the best vocal range out of us. I don't mind being also vocalist, but I have a few concerns, like wouldn't the drums typically overpower the vocals? Any and all advice will be great. Thanks.

There are many drummers who are also vocalists like Proscriptor of Absu, Brann Dailor of Mastodon or if you want a more popular example Phil Collins. All of them can sing and drum at the same time live, I think it's mostly a matter of the right equipment.

Good for you man, Seriously. It takes years to do that shit. Good luck. On the drums/vocals, you know the thing people like Flo from Cryptopsy uses, get some of them, or have a mic to the side.

Anyway, I'm trying to go oldschool Lamb of God/Chris Adler kit for my new kit since they are my top influences. My gear will consist of remo heads, Pusle sticks and drums, Pearl Hardware, Axis Pedals, and Zildjian Cymbals. I've played the same kit for 5 goddamn years. Its hard, but I deal with it. It will take $ 2,873.03 for the kit. I would like to know if I am making the right choices. Here is my lineup
Zildjian ZBT Splash Cymbal 12"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZBT-Sp ... 8.Music123
Zildjian ZBT China Cymbal 18"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZBT-Ch ... 0.Music123
Zildjian ZXT Thin Crash Cymbal 14"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZXT-Th ... 4.Music123
Zildjian ZXT Medium-Thin Crash Cymbal 16", & 18"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZXT-Me ... 0.Music123
Zildjian ZXT Rock Crash Cymbal 16", & 18"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZXT-Ro ... 2.Music123
Zildjian ZHT Hi-Hat Bottom Cymbal 13"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZHT-Hi ... 9.Music123
Zildjian 13" ZHT Mastersound Hi-Hat Top Cymbal http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-13--ZH ... 5.Music123
Pulse Drumsticks 6 Pair Pack Nylon 2B and 5A
http://www.music123.com/Pulse-Drumstick ... 1.Music123
Remo Clear Pinstripe Head 10", 12", 13", 16", & 18" 2 of each
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Clear-Pins ... 5.Music123
Pulse 8-Piece Double Bass Drum Set Black
http://www.music123.com/Pulse-8-Piece-D ... 9.Music123
Pearl Piccolo 3" x 13" Steel Snare Drum
http://www.music123.com/Pearl-Piccolo-3 ... 1.Music123
Remo Weather King Ambassador Coated Head 13"
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Weather-Ki ... 6.Music123
2 Axis X-L Longboard Single Drum Pedal
http://www.music123.com/Axis-X-L-Longbo ... 3.Music123
8 Pearl B70W Double Braced Cymbal Stand with Gear Tilter
http://www.music123.com/Pearl-B70W-Doub ... 6.Music123
Zildjian Drum Stick Bag
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-Drum-S ... 7.Music123
2 Remo Ebony Powerstroke 3 Bass Drum Head with 5 Port Hole
http://www.music123.com/Remo-Ebony-Powe ... 9.Music123
2 Remo Clear Powerstroke 3 Bass Drumhead with Dot http://www.music123.com/Remo-Clear-Powe ... 3.Music123
Zildjian ZBT Rock Ride Cymbal 20"
http://www.music123.com/Zildjian-ZBT-Ro ... 9.Music123

I am looking for a very tight bass sound, low toms, a bright sounding ride, and a high-pitched snare drum, all categories Chris Adler used on New American Gospel. Any Suggestions?

Stay away from the Planet Z's, ZBT's, ZXT's, and ZHT's! They are terrible cymbals. If you're going balls out for a kit, go balls out on cymbals too. At that rate, stay away from any B8's and XS20's (Sabian), and PST (Paiste).

What about Sabian B8 Pro's?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:58 am 

B8 Pro's suck. Almost all sheet cymbals suck.

CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 am 

Everything on my kit is Sabian, minus my ride. I love them.

I too, am stuck with a Zildjian 20" ZBT... won't ever have to worry about breaking it, but it's not what I plan on settling with.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 am 

CryptosGrimm wrote:
Everything on my kit is Sabian, minus my ride. I love them.

I too, am stuck with a Zildjian 20" ZBT... won't ever have to worry about breaking it, but it's not what I plan on settling with.

I'm still lookin' for a better ride too... good ones are damn expensive.

okram_09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 pm 

hey if possible can someone please give me some advice on bass drum tactics? i been practicing a lot to get faster on my bass drum with 1 foot blast beats and realised it gets harder on my own drum kit to do it other then wen i play on other drum kits. Can someone please recommend me any changes i might need to make to the bass drum or pedals?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:50 pm 

okram_09 wrote:
hey if possible can someone please give me some advice on bass drum tactics? i been practicing a lot to get faster on my bass drum with 1 foot blast beats and realised it gets harder on my own drum kit to do it other then wen i play on other drum kits. Can someone please recommend me any changes i might need to make to the bass drum or pedals?

You're going to want to make the tension on the springs tight so you can get proper rebound. A tight drum head is also great for speed. You will receive more resonance from your bass drum if you tighten the head, so you might want to put some material in it to dampen the sound (if you haven't already). Those things are pretty much all you can do to the hardware, besides getting better hardware, though I don't know what you use.

Other than aspects of the equipment, you can also try different techniques. There's the swivel technique, heel-to-toe, sliding, etc. Look them up on YouTube. George Kollias (Nile) has some good videos of kick techniques.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm 

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chris_Adler.html

The 3rd Picture Down is kinda how my setup currently looks, I was thinking about purchasing Zildjian A Customs (Funny thing Chris's using Zildjians in that photo) but, I wanted my setup to look like this:

http://meinlcymbals.com/artists/artist/ ... f591a98c01

only with an extra rack tom, and minus the Generation X China on the Right next to the set of Hi-Hats on the left side

Too much?

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 pm 

If you can use it all then no, it isn't too much.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
okram_09 wrote:

You're going to want to make the tension on the springs tight so you can get proper rebound. A tight drum head is also great for speed. You will receive more resonance from your bass drum if you tighten the head, so you might want to put some material in it to dampen the sound (if you haven't already). Those things are pretty much all you can do to the hardware, besides getting better hardware, though I don't know what you use.

Other than aspects of the equipment, you can also try different techniques. There's the swivel technique, heel-to-toe, sliding, etc. Look them up on YouTube. George Kollias (Nile) has some good videos of kick techniques.

It's a common misconception that tight springs will increase speed, in fact the opposite is true. This is because a tight spring will make it harder for you to push the pedal down. The bass drum itself provides most of the rebound (so a tight bass drum head will help) the spring is only there to provide a bit of extra help with this.

So really, you want your spring as loose as possible whilst still giving you enough rebound. So loosen the spring to about 1/4 tightness, then move your foot down the board and test each spot, if you find a 'dead spot' where the beater hardly rebounds, then you need to add a little more tension. Once you've got it to the point where there are no dead spots then that should be the right tension. I have mine at about 1/4 tightness, but have my bass drum head quite tight.

Basically you want there to be as little resistance as possible when you push down on the pedal.

Technique wise, you might want to try playing from your ankles as opposed to your whole leg. This speeds things up for alot of people. You just wiggle your foot up and down without moving your leg, do it slowly at first and eventually it will creep into your high speed playing, playing heel down can help with this too. You shouldn't need to use heel-toe or swivel to go fast, there are plenty of drummers doing 220-250bpm with just straight heel up.

Heel toe is definitely the way to go if you want ridiculous speed however, Tim waterson has done 350bpm for a minute or so using it, which is just nuts.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 am 

Well fuck me then, right? Maybe I should loosen my springs. I kind of like the resistance though. That way I can get more power outta my kick, or at least it feels like it.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:45 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Well fuck me then, right? Maybe I should loosen my springs. I kind of like the resistance though. That way I can get more power outta my kick, or at least it feels like it.

But thats the thing, you don't get more power, a tight spring actually reduces the amount of power you can put in. It helps with the rebound, but when it comes to actually making a stroke with your foot it will make it harder to get more power.

Think of it like this, say I apply x amount of force with a 1/4 tight spring, if I then apply the same amount of force to a 1/2 tight spring it's not gonna have the same power, because the extra resistance of the spring will mean that some of the force is expended overcoming the resistance of the spring.

It's simple when you think about it, but lots of people are used to playing with a high tension, and so it will take a few weeks to readjust to the new setup. I changed from high to low a while ago and it gave my double bass work a serious kick up the arse within a week or two, it didn't make me much faster, only hours of practice will do that, but it improved my stamina and cleaned my foot work up a hell of a lot.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

Okay okay. Fuck me twice. I'm waiting to be wrong on this too, but the high tension seems to help me with my quadruplets and such using one foot. I don't know the name for it, the "shotgun kick" I suppose, but I like doing it with one foot as opposed to two. Kinda like if you listen to "Wax Simulacra" by The Mars Volta, all the drumming in the intro is done with one foot. It's not godly, but I love how it sounds and feels.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:37 pm 

Tight bass drum batter heads sound like shit.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

mattp wrote:
Tight bass drum batter heads sound like shit.

They sound jazzy. I tune my drum set to sound like a jazz set. I don't like when it sounds like a thud. I can't stand most bass drum sounds in metal. I like to be able to hear them resonate, since they basically are just large toms.

EDIT: http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/1221661957.html

I'm trying this out and possibly buying it. I've looked into it, so I know it isn't too good to be true. What do you guys think?

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm 

Well, figured I'd post here. My band is looking for a drummer..so if you're around the Denver (Colorado), area..hit us up. Sledgehammer Autopsy plays death metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next