Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:44 am 

I don't know much about the avant-garde scene, but ever since I heard Arcturus I started searching for other bands who take their shot at making unique, yet cohesive releases. Don't mention Vulture Industries (I already had the pleasure of listening to them) or Unexpect (or other stuff like them which sound utterly random, disjointed and plain stupid)

avant-garde which still leans towards a certain genre (f.e Gorguts' "Obscura" still being a death metal album) is fine too

Last edited by KosherCarnage on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:56 am 

It's difficult to find something similar to Masquerade not only because of cool weird music, but also because of great and unique Garm's input into this record. So, If you adore Garm's singing style, you definitely should grab Ulver's Themes from W. Blake's.... Very weird stuff, full of electro beat, ambient, even hip hop, but the second disc (the album consists of 2 discs) have a few very strong ,,garm metal" songs.

As for other stuff, I would recommend you to check out ,,Ephel Duath's" ,,The Painter Palette" - the only one album from these jazzy avangardists which I like because of its synthesis of post black metal and jazz.

Also you should give a chance to Fleurety, Ved Buens ende, manes.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:23 pm 

can you name specific albums?

Painajainen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:50 pm 

check out Oranssi Pazuzu from Finland... absolutely amazing

www.myspace.com/oranssipazuzu

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:57 pm 

Check out the Diablo Swing Orchestra

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=123593

I just found this in the past few months and have been loving it. Its like, Swing Metal with operatic vocals.

Heres a song off youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-l54T_kYY

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:38 pm 

Estradasphere are one of the best out there, with a wide range of style-shifting, especially on the album 'Palace of Mirrors'. The other releases like 'Buck Fever' and 'Quadropus' are more (extreme)metal, but still with varied influences from jazz to folk, classical and (of course) avantgarde.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 pm 

I'm not sure "avant garde" is really a genre, more of a descriptor for bands that fit into other genres, more or less.

Anyway, if you haven't already heard Australia's Portal, that's some really fucked up, avant-garde death metal.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 am 

Unexpect = Stupid? Tut tut tut... *bonks you on the head with the "No" stick*

Maybe look into Gargoyle? They're probably the avant-gardiest thrash band out there, though they still usually keep some semblance of normalcy. Try out "Furebumi", "Aratama" and "Kemono Michi" for their most avant-garde stuff, though keep in mind they almost always have regular songs as well.

Also, if you want something "cohesive" (though I think that's a subjective thing most of the time), Mirrorthrone and Senmuth are probably your best bet. Both artists make music that consists of tons of different things but still feels completely normal.
Hehe, foreskins.

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:15 am 

Ulver - Themes from W.Blake's Marriage of heaven and hell
Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette
Manes - Vilosophe
Fleurety - Department of apocalyptic affairs

And as for Arcturus (and perhaps Garm's) fan I strongly suggest you to listen to Head Control System - Murder Nature - Garm's alternative metal/rock project. Not really something avantgardist, bet I think it's great release and Garm's vocal is at his best.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:51 am 

Crick wrote:

Maybe look into Gargoyle? They're probably the avant-gardiest thrash band out there, though they still usually keep some semblance of normalcy. Try out "Furebumi", "Aratama" and "Kemono Michi" for their most avant-garde stuff, though keep in mind they almost always have regular songs as well.

Also, if you want something "cohesive" (though I think that's a subjective thing most of the time), Mirrorthrone and Senmuth are probably your best bet. Both artists make music that consists of tons of different things but still feels completely normal.

I've only heard parts from "Into the Flesh Aquarium" and I was shattered by the idea that to be avant-garde you've got to go totally random and disjointed. It's not unlistenable and perhaps there are some impressive stuff hidden between this blender mix, but their approach made me abandon this album immediately.

From all the other bands you mentioned I only knew about "Gargoyle" and "Mirrorthrone", so I have a lot of new material to try. thanks

kramer820 wrote:
Estradasphere are one of the best out there...

Didn't find them on MA. Are you sure that's how it is spelled?

iamntbatman wrote:
I'm not sure "avant garde" is really a genre, more of a descriptor for bands that fit into other genres, more or less.

Anyway, if you haven't already heard Australia's Portal, that's some really fucked up, avant-garde death metal.

I always forget to check them out. I'll give it a shot.

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:53 am 

Yeah, it´s strange that Estradasphere aren´t in the archives, ´cause bands like Mr. Bungle are listed.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:48 pm 

KosherCarnage wrote:
I've only heard parts from "Into the Flesh Aquarium" and I was shattered by the idea that to be avant-garde you've got to go totally random and disjointed. It's not unlistenable and perhaps there are some impressive stuff hidden between this blender mix, but their approach made me abandon this album immediately.

I NEVER got the "disjointed and random" description of Unexpect. Yes, the music does shift violently, but it all feels completely related and part of a very cohesive whole. It's just not done in the normal way, so upon the first few listens it does feel somewhat clusterfuck-y. I've heard that albums tons of times now though, and I'm 100% sure that each and every moment is played with purpose and meaning that makes the songs just right. You could even analyze the lyrical content on songs like "Psychic Jugglers" or any of "The Shiver - " and see how things relate to the music. Psychic Jugglers especially, as it seems to be a tradeoff between various characters and parties - hence the repeated sections and different voices for each "character".

Also, the previous two releases are probably what you'll enjoy more if you're really adamant about your stance on IAFA. They're more traditional in arrangement, if nothing else.
Hehe, foreskins.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:45 pm 

Crick wrote:
KosherCarnage wrote:

I NEVER got the "disjointed and random" description of Unexpect. Yes, the music does shift violently, but it all feels completely related and part of a very cohesive whole. It's just not done in the normal way, so upon the first few listens it does feel somewhat clusterfuck-y. I've heard that albums tons of times now though, and I'm 100% sure that each and every moment is played with purpose and meaning that makes the songs just right. You could even analyze the lyrical content on songs like "Psychic Jugglers" or any of "The Shiver - " and see how things relate to the music. Psychic Jugglers especially, as it seems to be a tradeoff between various characters and parties - hence the repeated sections and different voices for each "character".

Also, the previous two releases are probably what you'll enjoy more if you're really adamant about your stance on IAFA. They're more traditional in arrangement, if nothing else.

I will give it a real listen in the near future. The contradicting opinions about this album made me a bit biased towards it

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm 

Well, I'm not saying you HAVE to like it. I suppose it is a bit of a difficult listen for some. I didn't like it upon the first few listens either, but it's grown on me ridiculously. Syriak also claims the album itself is meant to be like the human body ("Flesh Aquarium"), able to shift violently in its emotions without warning, so theres something else to ponder.

Now, so I don't derail the thread further, you may also like Thy Catafalque. Absolutely massive music (especially seeing as Katai has written a lot of very long songs) with tons of different things going on. The latest two full lengths have especially cemented their style.
Hehe, foreskins.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:49 pm 

Crick wrote:
Well, I'm not saying you HAVE to like it. I suppose it is a bit of a difficult listen for some. I didn't like it upon the first few listens either, but it's grown on me ridiculously. Syriak also claims the album itself is meant to be like the human body ("Flesh Aquarium"), able to shift violently in its emotions without warning, so theres something else to ponder.

Now, so I don't derail the thread further, you may also like Thy Catafalque. Absolutely massive music (especially seeing as Katai has written a lot of very long songs) with tons of different things going on. The latest two full lengths have especially cemented their style.

I know, I've just felt like clearing up that the main post was aimed against the approach. I might be wrong about the quality of the album and the sense the arrangements receive when you "get it".

Thy Catafalque does seem to be a very impressive band from the random stuff I've heard on youtube. Got a specific release that stands out?

As for Estradasphere, this clip made my day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0-95ltk3M

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:58 pm 

I just listened to Unexpect...it sounds like an album Danny Elfman would make if he was making a metal album.

Kosher: Did you check out the Diablo Swing Orchestra?

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:26 pm 

KosherCarnage wrote:
Thy Catafalque does seem to be a very impressive band from the random stuff I've heard on youtube. Got a specific release that stands out?

"Tûnõ Idõ Tárlat" is the perfect introduction to "newer" Thy Catafalque. Listen to that first, then listen to the new one. Both are incredible, but it'll probably prepare you better. The stuff before Tûnõ Idõ Tárlat is more black/deathish metal related than whatever the new stuff is.
Hehe, foreskins.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 pm 

How in the goddamn bloody hell has no one mentioned Sigh yet?

Hail Horror Hail is a lot like Arcturus's La Masquerade Infernale, but far more furious. It can get quite cacophonous at times, but it doesn't use the violent genre shifts that Unexpect's IAFA does. For something a bit trippier, Imaginary Sonicscape may be your album. Or if you want black/thrash with a real orchestral flare (not the Dimmu Borgir sort), Hangman's Hymn is downright glorious. Gallows Gallery is also a good album, and worthy of checking out the remaster, but keep in mind it's a bit different of a direction for Sigh. And then, of course the earlier works are more black metal oriented. Scorn Defeat and Infidel Art are apparently getting remastered/reissued soon, so those will be worth checking out.

Speaking of Unexpect, though, I fully support their Utopia album. They blend a lot of styles of metal together there, but it's just that: blended. And no circus stuff. I don't particularly care for IAFA, but Utopia is a damn fine album.

Stolen Babies may also be up your alley if you like Diablo Swing Orchestra and such. The album is definitely worth getting.

And hey, what about Direwolf? Not the most "avant-garde" metal project out there per se, but the over-the-top shredding and the blending of black metal in with the progressive metal structures, and some well-placed vocoder usage a la Cynic (but not as annoying) lead to a very unique experience.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:30 pm 

Ribos wrote:
And no circus stuff.

Wouldn't the OP actually enjoy that part, seeing as he liked Arcturus? There was certainly some circus music in Arcturus' discography.

Speaking of which actually, Carnival in Coal should be a neat band for you. No one was quite like them. "Fear Not" and "Vivalavida" especially, though "French Cancan" and "Collection Prestige" are also good. "Collection Prestige" especially, as it's also great fun, whereas FC is basically a cover album (with two original songs).
Hehe, foreskins.

KosherCarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 am 

wyzt wrote:
I just listened to Unexpect...it sounds like an album Danny Elfman would make if he was making a metal album.

Kosher: Did you check out the Diablo Swing Orchestra?

I did. From what I've heard on youtube, this isn't exactly what I've been looking for. thanks for the rec though.

Started listening to Utopia.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:06 am 

Crick wrote:

I quite enjoy Unexpect.
Also, I second whoever mentioned Ephel Duath. It's very jazzy and interesting stuff.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 pm 

A band I really like is Akphaezya. Songs like Chrysalis, Reflections have this avant garde feeling. You'll surely enjoy it :)

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:37 pm 

You may like Dodheimsgard's 666 International. It's got a lot of black metal in the sound, but it still is pretty weird.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm 

Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

A very weird album. The compositions are long, unconventional, incorporate a lot of different sounds but don't resort to the use of exotic instruments. The music is basically all drums, guitar, and bass (and the occasionall synth), but it's unlike any black metal you've heard before. The vocals are a mix between screechy, Burzum-like vocals, and clean female vocals. VERY recommendable.

Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters

A must for avant-garde fans. Like with Fleurety, the music only incorporates the use of bass, guitar, and drums, but the long, awkward compositions and variations in mood make this album very interesting. The crooning vocals give Ved Buens Ende their own distinct sound.

Dodheimsgard - 666 International

It was already suggested, but I encourage you once more to check this out. It's extremely loud, semi-comical metal performed by some of Norway's finest avant-garde musicians (the line-up on this recording includes members of Ved Buens Ende, Aura Noir, Fleurety, Thorns, and Virus, among others).

I don't really know if there's anything that sounds like Masquerade, but the great thing about avant-garde metal is that it's not really a genre: if executed well, every band is unique in its own way.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:27 pm 

I don't consider 666 International to be avant-garde. It's just some over-the-top industrial black metal with the odd piano section. Might I also add that I hate Aldrahn as a vocalist - I can't believe him at all and he sounds like he's being dramatic just for the sake of it.

Look into Diapsiquir. People compare it to 666 International, and I guess I can see the similarities here and there, but it's something far better and full of real emotion.
Hehe, foreskins.

Reply to topic