Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:23 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Mezzo Forte has epic DP, :lol:

:nono:

schezoid_edd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm 

Slightly huge fan of anime here. These are few animes that wasted most of my life time

-fushigi yuji/curious play
-dragonball z
-ghost fighter (watched this for like 10 times)
-naruto
-hunter x hunter (probably my favorite)
-btx
-ranma 1/2 (watched this since I was a kid)
-rave
-flame of recca
-voltes 5
-samurai x (nice drawings indeed!)
-sailor moon (back when I was 8 yrs old)
-evangelion

schezoid_edd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 pm 

Leify wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho.

Every other anime can burn in hell.

yeah! this is the japanese name for ghost fighter. There was a time in my life where small cards with anime designs on it was big here in my country especially when youre a kid. We called those text cards. I used to own a shoebox full of ghost fighter text cards.

schezoid_edd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:33 pm 

VRR wrote:
I can't stand the new "digital" looking anime. Only '70s-'90s is real!

Lupin 3rd - The best anime series ever, like James Bond but the hero is a master thief, not a spy.

how could I forgot this on my list :fuck:, another favorite anime of mine
detective zenigata is the shit

TheHornyPriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:05 am 

Fist of the North Star (the movie), if you're into blood drenched anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vByTcMcpp8A

Just skip to around 2 minutes.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:20 am 

Spirited Away

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:19 pm 

I recently sat down and watched Last Exile in its entirety, highly recommended. The story is fairly straightforward and easy to follow while going into some depth on the political struggles between the countries in the story. The characters are all pretty interesting especially how they evolve through the series. But probably the best part of the series is the atmosphere. Last Exile takes place in a steam punk world (for those who don't know, think Victorian era with seemingly advanced technology that runs on steam engines) and it is probably one of the most immersive worlds I've seen brought to life in animation.

I'd also like to second the recommendation for Gungrave. Great series based off an old PS2 game that I never played. Fortunately no knowledge of the game is required to enjoy the series. The first half of the story tells the backstory of two friends' rise to power from street thugs to a powerful mafia family. Along the way, a technology is introduced that brings the dead back to life. So what you have is something like Martin Scorcese meets George A. Romero - Goodfellas with Zombies. While these 16 episodes make up the more interesting part of this series, the last 10 or so episodes contain more adrenaline pumping zombie action as the main character is brought back from the dead to fight his former comrades (not a spoiler, the first episode and the back of the box both reveal that this is the premise for the series)

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:49 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
I recently sat down and watched Last Exile in its entirety, highly recommended. The story is fairly straightforward and easy to follow while going into some depth on the political struggles between the countries in the story. The characters are all pretty interesting especially how they evolve through the series. But probably the best part of the series is the atmosphere. Last Exile takes place in a steam punk world (for those who don't know, think Victorian era with seemingly advanced technology that runs on steam engines) and it is probably one of the most immersive worlds I've seen brought to life in animation.

i have a friend who's been trying to get me to watch this for ages now. Never really bothered.

Diatribe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:07 pm 

Some personal favorites:

Higurashi: A mystery/horror/fantasy film about strange murders and deaths. Pretty interesting though there isn't much i could say about it without spoiling it.

Elfen Lied: Been mentioned a few times, but I also recommend it.

Hellsing Ultimate: A pretty weird one about a Nazi trying to build an army of vampires. It is only 6 episodes in currently, though it is pretty good.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:19 pm 

I just finished watching Samurai 7, and I would strongly recommend that anyone who has not seen it yet do so immediately. The animation is great, the plot is good, and the characters aren't flawless archetypes.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:45 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I just finished watching Samurai 7, and I would strongly recommend that anyone who has not seen it yet do so immediately. The animation is great, the plot is good, and the characters aren't flawless archetypes.

I've been avoiding that series on principle. I love the film Seven Samurai and consider it a classic. As I understand it, this anime was meant as an homage to Akira Kurosawa's film and created with the blessings of his estate, but I can't help but think a retelling of the story with robots in the future is borderline mockery. On the other hand, anime retellings of other classic stories such as Romeo and Juliet and the Count of Monte Cristo were pretty well done. Any thoughts on how Samurai 7 stacks up?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5