Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:36 am 

vashts80 wrote:
lol I think he's talking about the pearl budget lines, not the top-dollar kits that kollias and chambers use

Doesn't Kollias use Gabriel drums? Or did he switch over some time in the last two years?

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:01 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
vashts80 wrote:
lol I think he's talking about the pearl budget lines, not the top-dollar kits that kollias and chambers use

Doesn't Kollias use Gabriel drums? Or did he switch over some time in the last two years?

He switched to endorsing Pearl within the last year, but he's been playing Pearl on tour forever.

Only to 10. On his fingers.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

Deathmetaldrummer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:05 pm 

elTobe wrote:
Chryxtolf wrote:
Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from
:headbang: Origin :headbang: ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Kickass metal drummers? Hmm let's see Dave lombardo (slayer), Pete sandoval (Morbid angel), Hellhammer (Mayhem & Dimmu Borgir session-drums), Nicholas Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir) and many many more
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 pm 

Is any technical/brutal death metal drummer (In the style of Defeated Sanity, Deeds of Flesh, or Spawn of Possession) here be willing to send me drum tracks? I need something to compare to my programmed drums for mixing.

jordman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 am 

endedless Blasts beats blow. Defeats creativity, and lessons the drummers control over the song.

jordman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:40 am 

so i got to see dave lombardo at a drum clinic and got to ask some great questions, like how he matches his cymbal hits with the rhythm of the vocals or riff. He was so totally on the same page as me it was awesome. Then I shook his hand and he signed my practice pad. I said "your drumming has come out in mine for five years mate, fuckin subconsciously or something! its crazy! you're a legend!"

Don't wanna wash my hand now

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:14 pm 

jordman wrote:

If you jerk off it's like Lombardo's giving you a hand job. You know you wanna!

RelentlessEwok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:02 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
jordman wrote:

Listen to this guy.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm 

MBeroose wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:
How in the hell are Pearl Drums not good drums? You said better drums. Pearl Drums are the best, mate! If you don't think there good, what kind of drums do you like?

First and foremost, you're obviously a newbie to drums. Your biggest problem is that you expect to blow thousands of dollars on tons of equipment and POOF! You're a metal drummer and you can BLASTRAWRAWRAWR!!!!

It doesn't work that way.

First, you'll develop bad technique and form. Second, you'll play sloppy and out of time. Third, you'll work three times as hard trying to break those habits over the years. And you may actually hurt yourself somewhere in between. No joke.

My point with the "buy better drums" comment had nothing to do with the fact that they're Pearls. Pearl makes competent drums. But the drum LINE and setup that you're looking at is a mass-produced budget line made for unsuspecting, uneducated metal drummer wannabes such as yourself. Don't be taken in by the flashy double bass and "metal" setup. Again, this isn't exclusive to Pearl - Tama does the same thing.

FYI - This isn't meant to be a stab at you, this is to educate you and hopefully prevent you from making the same mistakes that so many new drummers make. You shouldn't want to spend all this money on a huge set and a ton of hardware and mics and try to record. You've got a LONG way to go before you can record...and why would you want to record on budget, shit equipment?

When I say better drums, I mean spend more on a higher-quality kit - Pearl's equivalent would be the Reference line. From the type of wood used to the number of plies, to the hardware, trim, build quality, and most importantly, the SOUND - it absolutely blows that other kit out of the water. Event perfect tuning and the best drum heads out there couldn't make your set sound better. A day would come when you'd want a better sounding kit. And with that in mind, and considering your budget, more spent in this area now is less spent later.

Personally though, if I wanted a quality kit, I wouldn't even look to Pearl. If I were you I'd buy a Sonor Force 3007. Shit, I play a Tama Starclassic right now, and at the next opportunity I'll be buying Sonor...probably a Delite. They're incredible sounding drums.

Also, and this is important, fuck a huge set. It's all money wasted if you don't know how to use it, and I mean how to REALLY use it. You don't need it at your level. Buy a 5 piece, nothing more.

By the way, Zildjian A Customs are fantastic cymbals, I've been playing them since I started. And they're not a budget line, not by a long shot. That's their ZBT/ZXT/ZHT crap, which sound like manhole covers. At the absolute maximum, no matter what brand you get, you should have no more than 2 crashes, one set of hi-hats, a ride, a china, and a splash. Anything else is frivolous.

Overall, you need to shoot lower. WAY lower. Take it from a drummer of 14 years.

Take lessons ASAP.

Stay away from YouTube "technique" videos for playing metal. It's all bullshit.

Playing metal PROPERLY takes a lot of time and practice, and it's what you learn from playing other genres of music that helps get you there. You'll come out as a stronger, more precise, and creative metal drummer in the end.

Frankly, if you're not serious about really learning how to play, than buy a piece of shit CB percussion kit with no-name cymbals. Don't waste your money.

But if you're serious, listen to mattp and myself. You'll thank yourself later.

Like Matt said, you're focused on QUANTITY over QUALITY. It should be the opposite.

Good luck.

:metal:

I agree with recommending the 3000-series Force - that was my first "real" kit and it was a WORLD of difference. It was far more playable, and allowed me to take my drumming to the next level. IMO these are some of the absolute best drum kits out there - I couldn't think of another kit for under $1000 that comes with good hardware and is versatile enough to handle anything from small combo jazz to death metal. Add some Remo Emperor coated heads and you're ready to roll.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:06 am 

Nameless_Rites wrote:
MBeroose wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:
How in the hell are Pearl Drums not good drums? You said better drums. Pearl Drums are the best, mate! If you don't think there good, what kind of drums do you like?

First and foremost, you're obviously a newbie to drums. Your biggest problem is that you expect to blow thousands of dollars on tons of equipment and POOF! You're a metal drummer and you can BLASTRAWRAWRAWR!!!!

It doesn't work that way.

First, you'll develop bad technique and form. Second, you'll play sloppy and out of time. Third, you'll work three times as hard trying to break those habits over the years. And you may actually hurt yourself somewhere in between. No joke.

My point with the "buy better drums" comment had nothing to do with the fact that they're Pearls. Pearl makes competent drums. But the drum LINE and setup that you're looking at is a mass-produced budget line made for unsuspecting, uneducated metal drummer wannabes such as yourself. Don't be taken in by the flashy double bass and "metal" setup. Again, this isn't exclusive to Pearl - Tama does the same thing.

FYI - This isn't meant to be a stab at you, this is to educate you and hopefully prevent you from making the same mistakes that so many new drummers make. You shouldn't want to spend all this money on a huge set and a ton of hardware and mics and try to record. You've got a LONG way to go before you can record...and why would you want to record on budget, shit equipment?

When I say better drums, I mean spend more on a higher-quality kit - Pearl's equivalent would be the Reference line. From the type of wood used to the number of plies, to the hardware, trim, build quality, and most importantly, the SOUND - it absolutely blows that other kit out of the water. Event perfect tuning and the best drum heads out there couldn't make your set sound better. A day would come when you'd want a better sounding kit. And with that in mind, and considering your budget, more spent in this area now is less spent later.

Personally though, if I wanted a quality kit, I wouldn't even look to Pearl. If I were you I'd buy a Sonor Force 3007. Shit, I play a Tama Starclassic right now, and at the next opportunity I'll be buying Sonor...probably a Delite. They're incredible sounding drums.

Also, and this is important, fuck a huge set. It's all money wasted if you don't know how to use it, and I mean how to REALLY use it. You don't need it at your level. Buy a 5 piece, nothing more.

By the way, Zildjian A Customs are fantastic cymbals, I've been playing them since I started. And they're not a budget line, not by a long shot. That's their ZBT/ZXT/ZHT crap, which sound like manhole covers. At the absolute maximum, no matter what brand you get, you should have no more than 2 crashes, one set of hi-hats, a ride, a china, and a splash. Anything else is frivolous.

Overall, you need to shoot lower. WAY lower. Take it from a drummer of 14 years.

Take lessons ASAP.

Stay away from YouTube "technique" videos for playing metal. It's all bullshit.

Playing metal PROPERLY takes a lot of time and practice, and it's what you learn from playing other genres of music that helps get you there. You'll come out as a stronger, more precise, and creative metal drummer in the end.

Frankly, if you're not serious about really learning how to play, than buy a piece of shit CB percussion kit with no-name cymbals. Don't waste your money.

But if you're serious, listen to mattp and myself. You'll thank yourself later.

Like Matt said, you're focused on QUANTITY over QUALITY. It should be the opposite.

Good luck.

:metal:

I agree with recommending the 3000-series Force - that was my first "real" kit and it was a WORLD of difference. It was far more playable, and allowed me to take my drumming to the next level. IMO these are some of the absolute best drum kits out there - I couldn't think of another kit for under $1000 that comes with good hardware and is versatile enough to handle anything from small combo jazz to death metal. Add some Remo Emperor coated heads and you're ready to roll.

I agree on the Remo Emperors. I have a couple now. BUT, for drums, what about OCDP (Orange County Drum and Percussion)? Plus, I am considering Meinl Classics and a Pearl Piccolo.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:06 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
jordman wrote:

Lombardo giving you a hand job? WTF? MAJOR WTF?

Karstye
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 pm 

yeah, its kinda like advanced power pedalling, takes some serious leg muscle to do (you turn out like a bear after doing it for a while) but producs very clear crisp beats which you have more control over if you are playing at 23489 beats per minute.

also, listen to Gene Hoglans work. The man is an actual god on the drum kit, Frankenseus Laboratories by Buckethead has some insanely technical drumming with a bit where he just goes full pelt at the bass drums. Its so fast it almost becomes one note, he calls it "bass triplets (ie he is fitting three notes into the space of two) and still going freaking fast. He did the drumming for Strapping Young Lad when they were around, worked with Death and Dark Angel. He was also Nile's first choice for "In their Darkened Shringes". Awesome stuff.

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 pm 

Does anyone know a good website for CORRECT drum tabs? I generally figure most stuff out by ear but when it's pretty fast it helps having a tab and I realized that most tabs are find are grossly incorrect.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 pm 

Karstye wrote:
yeah, its kinda like advanced power pedalling, takes some serious leg muscle to do (you turn out like a bear after doing it for a while) but producs very clear crisp beats which you have more control over if you are playing at 23489 beats per minute.

also, listen to Gene Hoglans work. The man is an actual god on the drum kit, Frankenseus Laboratories by Buckethead has some insanely technical drumming with a bit where he just goes full pelt at the bass drums. Its so fast it almost becomes one note, he calls it "bass triplets (ie he is fitting three notes into the space of two) and still going freaking fast. He did the drumming for Strapping Young Lad when they were around, worked with Death and Dark Angel. He was also Nile's first choice for "In their Darkened Shringes". Awesome stuff.

um...hoglan didn't play on darkened shrines. tony laureano did, and he has a vastly different style than hoglan.

Aaron713
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:37 am 

Stagg cymbals are awesome.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:09 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
Karstye wrote:

um...hoglan didn't play on darkened shrines. tony laureano did, and he has a vastly different style than hoglan.

I think what he was saying is that Nile wanted him to drum for that album, but he turned them down. If I remember, Hoglan was the one who recommended Kollias to them.

MorbidAJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 pm 

Can anyone reccomend me a good drum throne that can support above 225 pounds....Im a big boy drummer and my old tama throne just sinks when i sit in it.

MetalRismo213
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:35 am 

does anyone know what ride uses the Lykathea Aflame's drummer in Elvenefris??

MetalRismo213
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 am 

Sorry for triple post computer fucked it up

Last edited by MetalRismo213 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetalRismo213
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:38 am 

sorry

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 pm 

MorbidAJ wrote:
Can anyone reccomend me a good drum throne that can support above 225 pounds....Im a big boy drummer and my old tama throne just sinks when i sit in it.

Rock'em Sock'em or however that company is called makes really good thrones that should have no problem supporting you. Also, depending on the material on the top of your throne it's normal that it sinks a bit. You can also head over to any decent drum shop, they generally have a few thrones laying around that are of good quality.

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 am 

Aaron713 wrote:
Stagg cymbals are awesome.

It took me about 3 weeks to crack one of their 10" black metal splashes in half. Soundwise, I liked the quick decay and dark tone it had, it just felt flimsy. It was cheap enough that it didn't really bother me but it kinda queered me off of them for good. What of theirs are you using and how would you rate it on durability?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:19 am 

I don't know whats wrong with ME know. I just was drumming quite well some days ago, drumming to Whitechapel's one song Father of Lies, Praise The Lord Opium Of The Masses, and Suicide Silence songs. I just felt like I haven't been doing a FINE job at all.
1. Because my Double Bass Pedal beaters keep coming out of the pedal itself because of the screw (I don't have the nearest clue of whats wrong with it), I had to replace one screw that holds the beater with another screw from another single pedla I have.
2. Because I play on an electronic kit. No toms at all (all are replaced with cymbals [2 Crashes {One of which has its own cymbal pad, the other is replaced wih the first tom}, 1 Ride {which was the second tom because one of my cymbal pads stopped working}, and one china as the third tom]), my snare drum is up too high (and I can't make it go lower because thats how the kits made), and the bass drum is always moving backwards (and I've placed a brick on it, BUT, its not helping at all, and etc.
3. Because I can't setup my acoustic kit because its too loud, and its not exactly a big setup since I've had it for many years now and I can't buy another because I didn't exactly get enough money for my birthday (which was November, 30th), and prices are too high right now and I can't keep my mind exactly on what cymbal(s) I should buy.
4. Because my snare drum is too high, I can't do blastbeats correctly.
5. Because my Hi-Hat screw keeps coming out, and I can't keep it in a place where it won't move upside down.
6. Because this is my kit: http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 525887.jpg
WHAT SHOULD I DO? Especially on blast beats, because I do full-hand blasts.
P.S. I just wanted to say for an early birthday present, on Suday November, 29, I saw a ton of metal/hardcore bands (I was annoyed by the Hardcore or HardCore or hxc or HxC dancers in the crowd acting like fags and bumping into people). I was there from 11:00 in the day to 9:30 in the night. Last band I saw was Vital Remains, all I have to say is FUCKING AWESOME! \m/! Beneath The Massacre, Dying Fetus, and The Faceless were the final three bands playing after VR. Wish I could've stayed for Dying Fetus and The Faceless though. Couldn't because it all ened at 11:00 at night, and I had homework. FUCKING HOMEWORK. I'm glad I saw VR though, and etc.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:41 am 

Ruin11thHour wrote:
2. Because I play on an electronic kit. No toms at all (all are replaced with cymbals [2 Crashes {One of which has its own cymbal pad, the other is replaced wih the first tom}, 1 Ride {which was the second tom because one of my cymbal pads stopped working}, and one china as the third tom]), my snare drum is up too high (and I can't make it go lower because thats how the kits made), and the bass drum is always moving backwards (and I've placed a brick on it, BUT, its not helping at all, and etc.

This is most likely the biggest problem here. Your kit does not sound ideal at all. Electric kits aren't anywhere near as good as acoustic, in terms of sound, playability, and just having fun. As for the bass drum moving as you play, my drumming teachers' kit had the same problem, but there was a bar on the kit, which was also electric, which he lowered, and now it can't move. For yourself, if that's not possible, you need something heavier and sturdier than a brick.

It must be difficult not being able to set up your acoustic due to noise, but you're still doing a good job playing those songs on a kit that you sound like you're too advanced for.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:59 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:

This is most likely the biggest problem here. Your kit does not sound ideal at all. Electric kits aren't anywhere near as good as acoustic, in terms of sound, playability, and just having fun. As for the bass drum moving as you play, my drumming teachers' kit had the same problem, but there was a bar on the kit, which was also electric, which he lowered, and now it can't move. For yourself, if that's not possible, you need something heavier and sturdier than a brick.

It must be difficult not being able to set up your acoustic due to noise, but you're still doing a good job playing those songs on a kit that you sound like you're too advanced for.

Thanks for that! One day, I'll just buy a new kit.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:10 pm 

Ha, if only it were that easy, eh? ;) But yeah, from what you described, you do need to get a new one. If an acoustic is not an option, which it seems like it isn't, then you'll have to get a nice electric one. I'm admittedly not too familiar with the brands and things of electric kits, so I can't suggest anything specific. If you have a drum store near you, definitely ask a staff member about them, see what's best for you, prices, and so on.

You sound like a good drummer, so you do need a more advanced kit.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 am 

Electronic drums are fine to practice on, you have to spend some time setting up the dynamic response and position of the pads in order to make it realistic. Also, if you get a kit with mesh heads you can adjust the tension and make it even more realistic.

Anywho, go for a Roland kit and get the most expensive one you can afford, simple as that. Roland make the best electronic kits hands down.

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:12 am 

I just recieved a drum set for my birthday and am looking to get into it. Any tips for getting started? any beats I can practice, I've already got one in the bag, but I'd like to vary it.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm 

Hey guys. I've been looking all over the internet on how to get a certain sound out of my snare. I want it to sound like Flo's from None So Vile or like Adrian Erlandsson's on the song All Hope In Eclipse. If anyone could tell me what heads I should have or if I need a different snare that would be great. Right now I have this set:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Sound ... 1484011.gc

Not the greatest, but it's better than nothing.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:32 am 

You need a piccolo snare, I'm not sure what heads they use specifically though.

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm 

Just put a Remo White Max marching snare head on your snare, and tighten the hell out of it.It'll last you forever and have that hard, woody attack you're looking for.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:14 pm 

Something like this?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Picco ... 1140381.gc

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm 

Try it on the snare you have, I have it on an export snare and it sounds JUST like Flo's on None so Vile.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:38 pm 

Tell me this real quick: So, I'm gonna get a new trigger cymbal for my ride that doesn't work. I use my toms for cymbals, as you know so far... I though about a plan. I could buy 3 of these trigger pads and I could buy 2 more wires (since I already have one [for the ride]). Then, I could place the 1 cymbal for the ride on the side where the workless trigger pad is. Then for the other two, I could put them on a stand. I would place the 2 wires in the two empty holes on my drum module that say "-output L/mono", and "aux in". If I put these two wires in those holes, would they work as cymbals on my Simmons kit?

Because I swear I think they won't!

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:09 pm 

Regorsnare wrote:
Try it on the snare you have, I have it on an export snare and it sounds JUST like Flo's on None so Vile.

Use the White Max or whatever on the snare I have? I looked at Guitar Center's website and they don't have one.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:28 am 

Alright, so, I got a new list for some things I' like to get from Guitar Center in the next 1-2 years before 2012 (Just because I don't wanna wait up to 3 years to get the money [I actually have MORE ways to get money for the gear/equipment]), (I still don't understand why every one's making a big deal over 12/21/12! It will just be the end of the world in THIS phase. We will enter the sixth one.[In 1985, we entered the fifth, and I'm pretty sure all of you can do basic math.{And they made a big deal about 2000, are we still here?! GODDAMN!}]) Sorry, a little bit off topic, but nevertheless, back to the story. I've been playing extreme/death metal for a few weeks/days now, still developing my techqinue of blastbeats (like the ones in Cryptopsy's Graves of the Fathers. [Funny because I've actually been playing that song for some days now, and I got the fast double bass part down. Hands though, not so much]). I picked this setup not because of the "fad" for big setups in extreme/death metal, but just for personel reasons. This is the rundown-
2 Hi-Hats (One for the left side, and one for the right side [because I've noticed that in songs that I've played before, the ones that I have had faster beats on the hats than the snare drum, that its harder on the left side. Plus, I was born left handed until my asshole of a teacher in 1st grade didn't like that I wrote with my left hand, and changed my writing hand to my right. I guess I CAN actually be thankful for that because I'm better at blastbeats with my right hand than my left hand, and also because I'm trying to do the 1st foot pedal/2nd foot pedal/1st Hi-Hat pedal/2nd Hi-Hat pedal techqnique that George Kollias was doing in Aeons of Burning Galaxies, and I think Derek Roddy did the same thing on I Monarch]).
4 Crashes (Basic number for crashes because if it was above this number, that WOULD be too much.
4 Chinas (2 for each side. These will mostly be for the blastbeats, and I like doing blastbeats with my china and my snare drum. It will be easier with the left side chinas since I'm good at doing blastbeats with my right hand).
1 Ride (Come on now. It can't get more basic than this number. If it was more than this number, that WOULD be too much. You only need one!)
2 Splashes(Basic)
1 Bell (Basic)
1 Effects Cymbal (Paiste Flanger Bell Cymbal.)
9 Piece Taye Double Bass Drum Kit (Originally supposed to be a 7 piece kit. I decided to put another floor tom on the list just for the hell of it! Plus, I put a Pearl Piccolo Snare Drum on the list because I LOVE high-pitched sound snare drums! I decided to have the original snare drum in the kit to because I want to try to do the technique that Derek Roddy was doing in The Victorious Reign. I want to experience with a Double Bass kit because I've been using a double bass pedal for roughly 2 years now, and I find it hard to do faster pedaling on that pedal, and etc.)
Here's the list:
Taye Drums RockPro 7-Piece Double Bass Drum Set Shell Pack (Jet Black)- $911.00 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taye-Drums- ... 1320681.gc

Taye Drums RockPro 18x16F Floor Tom
(Jet Black)- $199.99 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taye-Drums- ... 1138863.gc

Pearl Piccolo 13" x 3" Steel Snare Drum- $149.40 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Picco ... 1140381.gc

Aquarian Hi-Energy Drumhead
(13, & 14 Inches)- $31.78
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Aquarian-Hi ... 1141339.gc

Remo Weather King Coated Ambassador Head
(10, 12, 13, 16, & 18 Inches)- $72.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-Weathe ... 1136216.gc

Remo Clear Powerstroke 3 Bass Drumhead with Dot
(22 Inches) (2)- $76.78
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-Clear- ... 1137013.gc

Remo Custom Graphic Flames Resonant Bass Drum
(22 Inches) (2)- $115.98
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-Custom ... 1136384.gc

Paiste 2002 Crash Cymbal
(14 Inches)- $167.40
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-2002 ... 1139826.gc

Paiste 2002 Power Crash
(16, 17, and 18 Inches)- $660.92
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-2002 ... 1396328.gc

Paiste PST 5 China
(18 Inches)- $103.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-PST- ... 1139955.gc

Paiste Alpha Sensitive China Cymbal
(15, and 17 Inches)- $265.80
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-Alph ... 1371690.gc

Paiste 2002 China Cymbal
(16")- $199.64
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-2002 ... 1139810.gc

Paiste Rude Power Ride
(20?)- $279.00
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-Rude ... 1139924.gc

Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hat Cymbal Pair
(13") (2)- $352.80
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-Alph ... 1427358.gc

Paiste Signature Flanger Bell
(12")- $207.08
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-Sign ... 1396846.gc

Paiste Alpha Thin Splash Cymbal
(8") (2)- $124.80 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-Alph ... 1372297.gc

Paiste 2002 Cup Chime
(6")- $81.84
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paiste-2002 ... 1396820.gc

Sound Percussion Double Boom Box (5)- $299.95
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percu ... 1449276.gc

Sound Percussion SP880HS Double Braced Hi-Hat Stand (2)- $139.98
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percu ... 1413614.gc

Sound Percussion SPC18 Cymbal Boom Clamp
(18") (3)- $89.97
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-Percu ... 1415302.gc

Tama HT741 Ergo-Rider Throne with Backrest- $199.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-HT741- ... 1135458.gc

Axis X-L Longboard Single Drum Pedal (2)- $399.98
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Axis-X-L-Lo ... 1139243.gc

Zildjian John Otto Artist Series Signature Drumsticks (6)- $56.94 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian-Jo ... 1137998.gc

Pearl 900 Series Snare Stand- $69.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-900-S ... 1395763.gc

With shipping + handling- it will cost $5,587.49!
I KNOW that this kit will make me drool.
Any suggestions? Not only on the setup list, BUT, also on how I can get that much money? I'm ready for critisism.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:38 pm 

Ruin11thHour wrote:
1 Ride (Come on now. It can't get more basic than this number. If it was more than this number, that WOULD be too much. You only need one!)

Whatshisname from Shadows Fall does some pretty cool stuff with dual rides.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:18 pm 

hey guys,

I just got a double-bass pedal a few weeks ago, but I have noticed that my left pedal is MUCH stiffer than my right one. Is there any way to loosen it up. I can play "ok" with it now but I bet I could play a lot faster if it was looser.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:50 am 

Prominence wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:

Whatshisname from Shadows Fall does some pretty cool stuff with dual rides.

Yeah plenty of drummers use multiple rides, I use 2 myself. You can use them in different ways and create lots of different sounds over their large playing surfaces. Crash them, ride them, hit the bell, their very versatile!

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
hey guys,

I just got a double-bass pedal a few weeks ago, but I have noticed that my left pedal is MUCH stiffer than my right one. Is there any way to loosen it up. I can play "ok" with it now but I bet I could play a lot faster if it was looser.

Yes, you can loosen the left pedal but be very very very (and i can't stress this enough) careful not to compensate for your non-dominant foot's weakness by loosening it less than the dominant pedal. Pedals have different functions for loosening the tension, what kind of pedals are you using?

It's essential that you get the two pedals as close to each other in terms of stiffness, if the left (assuming that is your non-dominant foot) is looser, you will play much smoother, cleaner and faster, but your muscle memory will develop incorrectly and you will be forced to loosen all of your left-pedals' tensions whenever you play. To counterbalance this, try playing single-foot beats but leading with your non-dominant foot. Get your left foot caught up to all the work you've put into your right foot.

Double bass is a really tricky concept in terms of implementing it into a learning drummer's curriculum... my teacher made me wait about three years before getting mine, and I still regret getting it so soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next