Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 pm 

Actually I think I am going to leave it. After talking to my uncle who is also a drummer and what you posted above it probably seems better just to leave it.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:21 pm 

Speaking of two rides, I just got this zbt cymbal pack for Christmas. It has 13" hi-hats, a 14" crash and a 18" crash/ride. I kind of put the hats aside and have the crash set up. I don't really know whether to use the crash/ride as more of a crash or a ride. My 16" rock crash has a deeper tone and would work as a better ride than the 18". Right now I have it set up as a crash. I would put it on the left side of my hi-hats but it sounds nothing like my ride which kind of eliminates using it as a ride too.

What would you guys do?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:03 pm 

damaramou wrote:
Prominence wrote:
Ruin11thHour wrote:
1 Ride (Come on now. It can't get more basic than this number. If it was more than this number, that WOULD be too much. You only need one!)

Whatshisname from Shadows Fall does some pretty cool stuff with dual rides.

Yeah plenty of drummers use multiple rides, I use 2 myself. You can use them in different ways and create lots of different sounds over their large playing surfaces. Crash them, ride them, hit the bell, their very versatile!

You CAN use 2 in many ways. I prefer 1 though. And then to have a "double ride" sound, I will just use my ride and my beel. Other than that, what do you think of the list?

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:43 pm 

I'm not very knowledgeable on Paiste cymbals, though that is a nice wish-list... It is fun to dream, after all. But in the midst of the high quantity and quality of cymbals, I'd go for something better than a RockPro. I started on a Taye RockPro and hated it. Switching from a Taye RockPro to a Pearl Session was the best shift in my drumming career I've ever made.

Taye does not make metal drums. I've tried a very nice Taye Studio Maple or something like that, and while it did sound very nice, I couldn't go beyond a bluesy black sabbath feel on it... so while perfect for that kind of style, and more specifically R&B/hip-hop... I'd go with something else.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 am 

Prominence wrote:
I'm not very knowledgeable on Paiste cymbals, though that is a nice wish-list... It is fun to dream, after all. But in the midst of the high quantity and quality of cymbals, I'd go for something better than a RockPro. I started on a Taye RockPro and hated it. Switching from a Taye RockPro to a Pearl Session was the best shift in my drumming career I've ever made.

Taye does not make metal drums. I've tried a very nice Taye Studio Maple or something like that, and while it did sound very nice, I couldn't go beyond a bluesy black sabbath feel on it... so while perfect for that kind of style, and more specifically R&B/hip-hop... I'd go with something else.

mmm, How bout these kits?
l
l
l
l
V
http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 606991.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 613813.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 591367.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 614552.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expand ... 569298.jpg

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 am 

Hey Ruin, you ever get all that free stuff from those famous drummers?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 am 

mattp wrote:
Hey Ruin, you ever get all that free stuff from those famous drummers?

Funny story about that, my COUSIN actually sent all those emails to those drummers, and she's 11 years old. What do you expect?! She did that just because I didn't let her watch her "Miley Cyrus".

It was dumb that she did all this, plus I didn't log out of my Myspace or Metal Archives profiles, so, some of it is probably my fault for not logging out.

Plus, when I attended that show at Sonar on the 29th last month, I never thought the drummers would throw some sticks out into the crowds. They didn't either, and I probably wouldn't get those sticks.

Even though I didn't get the "Gear", I got a shitload of money from people I KNOW that are going towards my kit money.

So all and all, my cousin can never touch my computer again.

Sometimes, I just don't know why people ask for stupid things, or make up rumors.

In real life, I just ask for some sticks, or a drum head (since those are the only things you CAN get.)

FML!

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:36 am 

:lol: Okay dude. Good luck with your drumming!

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:24 am 

BTW, If anyone cares, I have some drumming vids up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aJRQhDNRw (could've done better on it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ecf2CV-LPw (the best I've done so far...)
Plus, I did 2 tribute videos for Vitek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-LewdcIWa0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2OXJS9PkU

Plus, I heard on Tuesday that Jimmy "The Rev." Sullivan died from "natural causes" on monday.
So now, 2 important "losses" for the music industry are Jimmy's, and Dimebags (and I say "losses" specifically because Dimebag's was the most tragic, more tragic than Jimmy's). Atleast Jimmy got to make it to his last Christmas, Dimebag didn't. Dimebag left behind countless friends, a girlfriend, and a brother. Jimmy left behind a wife, and a few friends. And all that jazz...
R.I.P. Dimebag
R.I.P. Jimmy
R.I.P. Vitek
"They come and go by numbers,
Until they get the call,
United they stand,
Divided they fall."

BTW mattp, you got some good shit on your myspace. Keep it up!

BitterDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:28 pm 

Good riddance in regards to Avenged Sevenfold, that band shouldn't even be mentioned on this site aside from bashing, fuck 'em.

Not much of a drum section here, a shame it wasn't a sub-forum instead of just a sole thread.

Been drumming for a couple years now. First kit was a early 90's Tama Rockstar, DW hardware, Dw5000 double kicks, DW Collector Series Maple snare, PDP brass snare, Zildjian & Sabian cymbals (A Custom, Paragon, etc.). Recently picked up a set of Yamaha Stage Customs (mahogany & birch shells), shit hardware right now, AAX Stage cymbals, more to come.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:53 pm 

How do you find the dw5000 double pedal? I have the 7000 (which, in opposition to all logic is of lower quality than both the 5000 and 8000/9000 models). It replicates a double kick set up fairly well for me, I've had a few issues with it but overall it's been mostly smooth.

PowerRockerDeath
Heavy metal bro-rapist bait

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm 

Today I put new coated drum heads on my toms and polished my cymbals.

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm 

Prominence wrote:
How do you find the dw5000 double pedal? I have the 7000 (which, in opposition to all logic is of lower quality than both the 5000 and 8000/9000 models). It replicates a double kick set up fairly well for me, I've had a few issues with it but overall it's been mostly smooth.

I also have the 7000 and I think they go really well. I know Tommy McKinnon, the ex drummer from Neuraxis also had some 7000 since I had a few lessons with him. But seriously, pedals can help you get speed etc, but at the end of the day it's all you.

I've been doing 4h a day right now to get ready for auditions. I'm currently learning Podemski nb 39 practicing some jazz and some really advanced coordination stuff. A new ostinato I started with my feet is the right does a bossa nova/samba rhythm while the left does the 3-2 clave on a percussion block. My hands can do some things over that but I'm working to get single strokes in 16th notes with triplet accents over it which would be a 3 bar groove.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 am 

Anyone know how I can make my 13" PDP Piccolo Snare drum, and/or my 12" Mapex V Series Snare drum sound like or equivalent to Chris Adler's old Mapex Premium Series Black Panther Birdseye Maple Snare Drum? Here are two "clips" of it
Lamb of God playing Terror and Hubris in the studio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1llKWeNUcQ
Lamb of God playing Terror and Hubris live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=579C-S-m ... ted&fmt=18
BTW, I'm looking at this Used Yamaha 6pc Stage Custom kit. So just go to Guitar Center and copy and paste this: USED YAHAMA 6PC STAGE CUSTOM, or just go to this video that explains the kit that is uploaded to my YouTube account, MINIWHEAT70:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DR8nVleoxI
Any suggestions?

Metalarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:19 pm 

AHHHHHHH I have been in search for a drum post all over. Thank you
So to some of the posts here so far with out a place to practice. Start with a practice pad and get your chops up. Then do what I did and still do. Make a kit out of boxes and pillows. Its very quite and great for wrist strength on rudiments.
Now i use plastic brushes and have a kit set up with neoprene (camping mats) cut to fit the different sizes of drums. It works great and I live in an apartment, no complaints as of yet.

What else....oh I have a question?

Anyone use the Iron Cobra pedal?

I had mine for about 6 months and the beater got striped and I had to replace it. Anyone have this problem?

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:16 pm 

It may be a reflection on the quality of Iron Cobra's beaters, but it means close to nothing towards the quality of the actual pedal. It's similar to how some drum companies can make awesome drums with horrid hardware. Just buy a replacement beater.

I've only tried and Iron Cobra once, and it was the first double-pedal I ever had the chance to try, so I doubt my opinion towards its overall quality will be very helpful.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 pm 

Those beaters eat through drum heads like mad.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:37 pm 

The heads on both of my rack toms have been collecting more dents and I'm going to replace them soon. They're just the stock Pearl heads that came with them. I've had them on for about a month. I'm fairly new to changing drum heads so I have a few questions.

First thing, do I change both the batter head and the reso head? This doesn't really make sense to me since one side of the drum has never been hit and replacing a non-damaged head is just going to cost me more money that I don't have.

Second, what is the difference between coated and non-coated heads? I changed my bass-head to a coated one and it sounds a lot weaker. I've always had non-coated heads for as long as I've played.

Lastly, what would you guys recommend for metal? I play in a death metal band so they take a good beating.

Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:39 am 

Hello everyone!

I've been a huge fan of drums for years but never really had the chance to get a kit. Well, the time has come and I finally got one!

Since having a real set of drums would be a bit of a "no-no" for me due to loads of noise, I opted for getting an electric drum from Roland (TD4KX) and I'm really happy with it.

Anyway, I am at the moment the super master of noobness and I can't really play much. Since I grew up listening to Metal and some Punk, like Bad Religion for example and I've decided to try and start playing songs that I know by heart and I've been finding a lot easier to play the punk ones, possibly for their simplicity, but I feel like I am getting stuck on that style and I love Death/Black/Thrash metal, so I wanna be able to play those styles as well.

I have loads of questions and I was wondering anyone could help me out with them since tutoring or classes is not an option at the moment.

First and most obvious one, What is the best way to start learning? I found an interesting site (freedrumlessons.com) and it's good for a quick start but I feel that I need something else. Do you guys know of any good books or DVD lessons or things like that to help out? Or should I go for some other method? Like I said, how do I start?

2nd- Is it really that god damn hard to speed up on double bass pedals? I am not able to play fast and/or hold it for too long. I feel like my upper leg muscles (the ones where your legs join with your torso) are gonna pop out. Is this normal?

3-I read somewhere that posture is very important and I have my stool position in a manner that my legs are slightly over 90 degrees. Is this the best position for those planning on playing fast?

4- Does tension on the springs of the pedals influence a lot on playing fast? Is it better to have it them more relaxed or tighter?

As you guys can see, I have lots of (possibly) stupid questions so ANY help will be appreciated.

Thanks for those who took the time to readl through all this and reply.

Cheers!

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:41 pm 

Is there any type of Aquarian drum head thats 12" that can make my Mapex snare go as high as Chris Adler's signature snare drum?

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:
Hello everyone!

I've been a huge fan of drums for years but never really had the chance to get a kit. Well, the time has come and I finally got one!

Since having a real set of drums would be a bit of a "no-no" for me due to loads of noise, I opted for getting an electric drum from Roland (TD4KX) and I'm really happy with it.

Anyway, I am at the moment the super master of noobness and I can't really play much. Since I grew up listening to Metal and some Punk, like Bad Religion for example and I've decided to try and start playing songs that I know by heart and I've been finding a lot easier to play the punk ones, possibly for their simplicity, but I feel like I am getting stuck on that style and I love Death/Black/Thrash metal, so I wanna be able to play those styles as well.

I have loads of questions and I was wondering anyone could help me out with them since tutoring or classes is not an option at the moment.

First and most obvious one, What is the best way to start learning? I found an interesting site (freedrumlessons.com) and it's good for a quick start but I feel that I need something else. Do you guys know of any good books or DVD lessons or things like that to help out? Or should I go for some other method? Like I said, how do I start?

2nd- Is it really that god damn hard to speed up on double bass pedals? I am not able to play fast and/or hold it for too long. I feel like my upper leg muscles (the ones where your legs join with your torso) are gonna pop out. Is this normal?

3-I read somewhere that posture is very important and I have my stool position in a manner that my legs are slightly over 90 degrees. Is this the best position for those planning on playing fast?

4- Does tension on the springs of the pedals influence a lot on playing fast? Is it better to have it them more relaxed or tighter?

As you guys can see, I have lots of (possibly) stupid questions so ANY help will be appreciated.

Thanks for those who took the time to readl through all this and reply.

Cheers!

I think I can help you m8!
1. Try observing other drummers, like Witold "Vitek" Kieltyka [R.I.P.], Chris Adler, George Kollias, Derek Roddy, Daray from Masachist/Dimmu Borgir, even Krimh, the new drummer for Decapitated...
A good book (for the very me-l-al style drumming) would be "The Book Of Blastbeats" by Derek Roddy...
George Kollias's DVD is very good! I picked it up when Nile was in Baltimore on 1/15/10, kicking off the first day of the "Those Whom The God's Detest" tour in the place to be, Maryland! I even published it to my computer, in case the DVD gets damaged- its too good now because George signed it himself "To Isaiah" and his signature, I can't break something like that! I'd send the DVD to you from my computer, but I can't cause a message will come up "This message contains too much memory", or some dumb shit. You can buy it, Its $35... I'd send it to you though, unfortuanetly, theres no other way!
Try to buy the Modern Drummer Festival DVD from which Chris Adler and Jason Bittner were at...
I suppose the Jason Bittner DVD is fair enough?
Try to look for the Gene Hoglan DVD: The Atomic Clock, even though its hard to find it online...
Any DVD or book that you look at in your local music store that you find helpful, it'll probably help you in the future...
Its your choice!
Also, try to listen to what the drummer says on their technique, and try to develop their technique...
2. It is very "goddamn" hard to try to keep up that strength to do fast double bass...
Try to become used to it. Kollias gives very good details about fast double bassing in his DVD...
Its not hard when you become used to playing that fast once you get used to it...
Like I'm black, 13 years old, and I believe that I am very comfortable at the highspeed bassing I do...
Pedals can also be a factor for this element of fast pedaling...
Chris Adler has/had a very unique technique with his Axis Pedals...
I'll link the video at the end of the response...
3. Posture is important...
Try to get in the position you want to be in-the one that'll feel most comfortable to you!
For me, I like for my pedals to be closer, I feel it makes it better to pedal faster...
Do what's comfortable to you!
4. Tension on the pedals influences alot of fast pedaling!
I have mine about medium, not very loose or very tight...
I'm pretty sure if they were very tight, that can damage some of the parts of the pedals...
And being loose doesn't help me though...
As I said in question3, do what is comfortable for you!
Here are some videos you should take note of:
Chris Adler:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 130&hl=en#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeWTKUXm3tU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltd4VJQEvjA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmczessm4lI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZX-FyipsMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJu-pj0m ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-jPfZ7isyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uhEyesNeAk
Vitek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBFepQy1 ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kSaXAn3 ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDcjlN8d5AQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3-jB_PXVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cgt32Z3hvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhYruRmB5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmoqY1S ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbf_EwLS ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4y12ij- ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4kSmT_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydy4dYyz ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT93QGgN ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMlIl41N ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gn4_ms-0ks
George Kollias:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x29UHwqM3_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS2MUFsrGaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DPu7zAV8SY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xCFgus0RXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSLxfRGpQSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagspfIdhqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4JdqBRNvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpeAD4w6uo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEG4RzOR-tM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEgG2L8baKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwsdq2Zaofk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq49u88nz28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTVhT3IsyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R18piG-bIKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXINemV8E_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u02hbXxYTrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKNQnsu1rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qQUFqrjwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-Q2RYIlj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igx0qjAJLU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqk2wprx6j4
Derek Roddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53yTiTYKn_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hvsn4tKzhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxsxsU4DnKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneQ-gLf2Ik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at-eGdtthww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8O5QK6YXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gALP1ilydUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCz7WAi20Lw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kQvyPXEQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DVcfqQrGs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYgzwNOADY
Daray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHkomDaNGbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXDETbG9QhA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOAm5BzyiA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9sO2IzpA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSNGPbG9sM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uereb8Hea00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_H1zG_VKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDW13LQFuTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAB6RJllL5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RizFr1vyjOM
And check out all Krimh's videos on his YouTube account:
www.youtube.com/user/KrimhKerim
I REALLY hope this advice helps...
After all, this is coming from a 13 year old black kid!
Cheers!
-I-Tek

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm 

Velvet_Creation wrote:
Hello everyone!

Cheers!

I'm gonna keep this short-ish as I could spout crap loads of stuff at you!

1) Learn the rudiments, practice them with your hands and feet to a metronome daily. Concentrate on playing them consistently and in time, DO NOT focus on speed. Keep it loose and relaxed, speed comes with time and practice, not with brute force. That will help with your physical technique and time keeping. Also play along to some simple tracks, stuff like nirvana, ac/dc, as you get better expand into different styles and pick tracks that will push you. This basic approach should form a practice routine, you could put an hour or two aside a day for practice and spend half of it on technique/rudiments and the rest on playing to music.

As for learning resources, I highly recommend checking out the drummerworld site and forums. I have learnt the most about drumming on the dw forums, it's full of professional drummers that will give you free advice, as long as you ask nicely. Vic's firth site also has a very good education section that is full of excellent videos.

For DVD's and books, I would avoid any specialized metal ones for now, you need to get your technique down before you attempt the high speed stuff. Get jojo mayer's 'secret weapons of the modern drummer' DVD, it explains every hand technique known to man, including one handed rolls and whatnot. For books, there are several that always get recommended to new drummers, these are mostly to help out with technique and limb independence...

George stones stick control
Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer
Groove Essentials by Tommy igoe

2) It's not hard, it just takes years to master, as does speeding up with the hands. The key is to be patient and take your time, don't try to blast off at million miles an hour straight away. Slow measured practice will build up your control and control is the key to speed. A lot of people have problems because the higher speeds often require you to switch to using an ankle motion instead of a leg motion. Again it just takes time and patience.

3) Yep sounds fine, your legs should slope down a wee bit, and your lower legs should stick out a bit in front of your knees. You want to be sitting in the middle of your stool and your legs should be an equal distance apart, with the snare tucked nicely into the middle. You should position your toms/cymbals so you can reach them all easily without having to stretch or twist at all/too much.

4) The spring pulls the beater back, all it does is aid rebound because the bass drum does not provide enough on it's own. With this in mind, it makes sense to have the spring tight enough so it pulls the beater back quickly, but also loose so you don't have to put more effort into pusing the beater forward. So you want it to be as loose as possible whilst pulling the beater back quickly. For me it's pretty loose, about 1/3 tightness.

And some general tips...

- Take it slow, don't rush things and be patient. Rushing will only develop poor technique and hurt you in the long run.
- Relax and try not to tense up, make sure you breath properly as this is what normally causes tension
- Let the drum set work for you, don't push your hand through the drums, let the stick rebound and position things so you can reach them easily.
- Don't overplay, your a drummer, your a support member, don't try to take control of songs or push yourself to the front with shit loads of fills/showing off
- Dynamics are super important, so learn how to do quiet notes (ghost notes) and loud notes (accents) they make a huge difference to the feel of your drumming.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by damaramou on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velvet_Creation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:23 pm 

@Ruin11thHour and @damaramou

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my huge post and actually reply to it in a nice way, with long and explanatory replies. ;)

I've read both posts and I feel like I am going in the right direction. Maybe I am trying to rush things a bit and indeed I should focus more on getting my technique and timing better. I have been doing what you recommended damaramou and I've been practicing with a metronome and I usually do warm ups and timing exercises before I try to play any songs, I think that's 1 point for me. :)

Yesterday I was finally able to play 2 full songs from start to finish without making any mistakes, Drunk Sincerity and Come Join Us, both by Bad Religion. I am pretty sure no one here likes the band but I found it more enjoyable than trying to play AC/DC songs, which are too easy imo (although I am a HUGE fan of the band).

I'll make sure to come back here and read your posts once in a while just to make sure I don't forget any of your tips.

Thank you very much!

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 pm 

Haha I don't blame you on AC/DC, I can't stand playing along to them either, but they always get recommended as a starting point for new drummers.

If you want to play some metallic type stuff, then you could try some of the simpler Metallica songs, like Enter sandman, For whom the bell tolls, Four horseman and that sort of thing. I always found early in flames to be quite easy to drum to as well.

Anywho glad I could be of some help, I do highly recommend the drummer world forums, you'll get much better answers to your questions over there. Plus well known drummers like Derrick roddy and George kolias frequent them. Nice!

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm 

Hey guys. I really want to move my set out from my basement to my garage so my band can practice more often but it's still kind of cold over here. Lately during the day it's been around 60 degrees Fahrenheit but at night it can get as low as around 30. Do you guys think it's safe to keep them out there?

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Hey guys. I really want to move my set out from my basement to my garage so my band can practice more often but it's still kind of cold over here. Lately during the day it's been around 60 degrees Fahrenheit but at night it can get as low as around 30. Do you guys think it's safe to keep them out there?

The wood in your drums will probably be fine unless it's humid but the main problem is that temperature change will completely screw up your tuning.

Anyways, took a break for the last 4-5 days since I got a horrible university audition and a friend from Vancouver was here. Now that the audition is done, time to concentrate on double bass without leaving jazz completely aside. Back to 4h practices tomorrow

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:17 pm 

Anyone have any experience with Saluda cymbals? I love the way their dirtier lines look and if they sound good for metal I think i'll be picking up a crash.

Ruin11thHour
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:17 pm 

mattp wrote:
Anyone have any experience with Saluda cymbals? I love the way their dirtier lines look and if they sound good for metal I think i'll be picking up a crash.

Hmm... my Guitar Center has some Saluda Hi-Hats and they sound very good for the buy. I say do it. Its better than almost following other drummers ways and buying Zildjians, Sabians, Meinls, Paistes, and etc...
You should also check out Istanbul Cymbals
And go with your ear: If you like it, buy it. If you don't, try something else.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:15 pm 

My heads are pretty beat up from when I got my new set around Christmas. I'm looking for some heads that can really take a beating and hold tuning for the toms, and a snare head that sounds like Flo's on None So Vile. Recommendations?

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:52 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
My heads are pretty beat up from when I got my new set around Christmas. I'm looking for some heads that can really take a beating and hold tuning for the toms, and a snare head that sounds like Flo's on None So Vile. Recommendations?

For Metal, try Remo Pinstripes clear or coated, or Emperors clear or coated. Clear has more attack, while coated it warmer. For the snare, Just crank the shit out of both heads and make your snares suuuuuper tight. For that sound, I use a marching snare head on a regular snare. It's gonna sound close, but unless you have the same model snare he uses(Pearl Reference for now), it'll sound a little different.

Only to 10. On his fingers.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 pm 

Thanks. Do I need to change the resonant heads too?

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:02 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Thanks. Do I need to change the resonant heads too?

It would help, but it's not necessary.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

Cryptos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:27 pm 

I have decided since my cymbals seem to crack or break about a month or two after my 2 year warranty runs out, that going forward I will start breaking them a month or two before it runs out, so that they can be replaced...

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:49 pm 

Cryptos wrote:
I have decided since my cymbals seem to crack or break about a month or two after my 2 year warranty runs out, that going forward I will start breaking them a month or two before it runs out, so that they can be replaced...

Just use correct cymbal technique, with a sweeping motion, as opposed to hitting the edge straight down. Your cymbals will last waaaaaaaaaay longer.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:35 pm 

Regorsnare wrote:
Cryptos wrote:

Just use correct cymbal technique, with a sweeping motion, as opposed to hitting the edge straight down. Your cymbals will last waaaaaaaaaay longer.

Lol... technique is fine, I am a HEAVY hitter, cymbals that cracked were pretty thin. One of them is cracked in the inner circle of the cymbal, not on the edge as you assumed.

Regorsnare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 am 

CryptosGrimm wrote:
Regorsnare wrote:
Cryptos wrote:

Lol... technique is fine, I am a HEAVY hitter, cymbals that cracked were pretty thin. One of them is cracked in the inner circle of the cymbal, not on the edge as you assumed.

Thin cymbals are harder to crack than heavier ones. Thin cymbals are more flexible. Also, maybe getting a larger diameter cymbal would help.

Snares = Blastbeats.
Blastbeats = <3

eternal_sin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:29 pm 

CryptosGrimm wrote:
Regorsnare wrote:
Cryptos wrote:

Being a "HEAVY" hitter is bad technique, you need to learn how to hit a cymbal and how hard to hit it. Same with the drums. Hitting everything super hard just sounds awful. Also, I personally find that most heavy hitter players just lack so much dynamics in their playing.

damaramou
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 pm 

Yah I 've gotta agree with you there man, hitting heavy all the time not only sounds like shit, but also turns your body and your drumkit into shit. Part of being a drummer is being able to play at any dynamic level, also ghost notes just sound ridiculously good when done well.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 pm 

Hit the cymbals soft and the drums hard. This is how you make a drumset sound great.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 pm 

I agree with the two above statements. There is a time and a place for bashing your kit and for treating it like a lady. It's not necessarily bad to hit your cymbals extremely hard, and it's not bad to hit them extremely soft. It's all about what the context of the music calls for. If you look at a lot of Black Metal and Death Metal drummers.... they don't really hit their drums too hard. Most of the higher end guys have triggers on their kits. When you're pushing 260 bpm, you have to start trading power for speed. I watched an interview with George Kollias where he admitted that he would not be able to play double-kick at 260+ bpm AND play loud enough so that a crowd full of fans could hear him. Thusly he uses triggers. That's why good, dynamic cymbals are a good choice. Zildjian K's are exceptionally versatile in their playability. So are the Sabian HHX lines. Paiste 2002's are pretty darn versatile as well. I'm not sure about Meinl, Istanbul, and Boshporus though. I do have an Istanbul 21" Medium Traditional Ride that is thick enough to be crashed but is also able to be played in a medium-soft jazz setting. I use it for all.

Oh and on the two rides topic, I do use two rides that are side-by-side. One is the Istanbul and the other is a 23" Sabian AAX Prototype Raw Bell Ride with some custom hammering from one of Sabian's cymbal smiths. That thing's bell is loud as hell and the ping is pretty darn loud too. Thickest and heaviest cymbal I have ever held (even thicker than that Meinl Pure Metal ride Chris Adler uses). Each ride has a different application in my bands music so I find it useful to have two.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next