Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 pm 

Actually, i had a deeper interest. for all you beer drinkin' gnarlheads out there, what are you drinking?
For the list of brews so far, and what would be your recommendations?
Here is a few-
Arrogant Bastard.
Double Bastard.
Stone IPA.
Old Peculier.
Guinnessss.
Hobgoblin
Dark Star IPA.
Sierra Nevada.
Shiner-Black
Pabst Blue Ribbon.(haha)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:17 pm 

I love me some Old Peculiar. Fantastic session beer. I'm heading out to the Dogfish Head Alehouse for dinner shortly and will be back with a report if they have anything interesting on tap.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm 

You totally should, I drink alot, but the same old shit everytime. I am looking into what other people like. myeah

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm 

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout.

MarbhDamhsa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:30 pm 

Anyone in MA should check out Berkshire Brewing Company's Porter. Fucking delicious and you get an enormous growler for ~$7

Also, PBR -- The champagne of cheap beer

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 pm 

I miss New Belgium's Fat Tire, which isn't available in Canada. It was the microbrew I first tried way back when that made got me into enjoying beers.

O'Dells 90 Schilling from Colorado was also rather good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 pm 

Nothing interesting at Dogfish, unfortunately. The summer seasonal is Festina Peche, which is pretty girly. I went for that old standby Indian Brown, plus a glass of the Alehouse 75, which is just a 50/50 mix of 60 and 90 minute IPA.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm 

I often change beers I drink, but lately I've been on a Grolsch binge. I first hated the beer, but not I love the taste. It tastes like a real beer, there's no annoying aftertaste and doesn't get tiring after a couple of cans, it's perfect for drinking sessions and to accompany me during my record playing sessions. Otherwise I used to drink Stella Artois but got tired of it, not particularly good really, or I buy a couple of Tuborg cans sometimes, you really can't go wrong with this either. If not - though it's been some time for some unknown reason - I dig a lot pretty any, with a few exceptions, Unibroue beer, La Fin du Monde and La Maudite being my favourites, particularly the latter. Great strong, belgian type beer, some of my favourite beer ever probably.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 pm 

My German friend once brought me a couple of Rothaus bottles (from his region). I thought they were pretty good!

Also, if anyone ever comes across an Almaza, then do give it a go. :)

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 pm 

Arrogant Bastard and Fat Tire are my two favorites. Actually scratch that, the Fat Tire winter seasonal, 2° Below, is better. Other favorites: Lagunita's Red, Lagunita's Brown Shugga, Eye of the Hawk, Red Tail Ale, and the always almighty Olde English 800 (hey you gotta have a cheap beer, especially one that gets you smashed).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 pm 

My beers are: 1) Pabst Blue Ribbon, for the economy drinking sessions and for buying cheap pitchers for like four or five people at a table at the bar.

2) Heineiken- for when I want decent beer but dont want to splurge on Newcastle.

3) Bud Light- hey I know its not exactly premium quality but, try drinking Heineken or Pabst (or one of the microbrews) at an outdoor event in the hot sun and see what kind of headache YOU get. For outdoor, hot-sun events like baseball games, music festivals, etc, Bud Light seems to hit the spot for some reason.

4) Newcastle. Best beer in the world. And it better be, considering how much you have to pay for a six pack of it.

5) various oregon microbrews like Deschutes, Pyramid, etc- when youre in a bar and want something on tap thats slightly more upscale than Pabst.

6) As far as Malt Liquor goes, Mickey's is where its at. Getting hard to find around here though.

HollowedGround
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 am 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I often change beers I drink, but lately I've been on a Grolsch binge. I first hated the beer, but not I love the taste. It tastes like a real beer, there's no annoying aftertaste and doesn't get tiring after a couple of cans, it's perfect for drinking sessions and to accompany me during my record playing sessions. Otherwise I used to drink Stella Artois but got tired of it, not particularly good really, or I buy a couple of Tuborg cans sometimes, you really can't go wrong with this either. If not - though it's been some time for some unknown reason - I dig a lot pretty any, with a few exceptions, Unibroue beer, La Fin du Monde and La Maudite being my favourites, particularly the latter. Great strong, belgian type beer, some of my favourite beer ever probably.

I quite enjoy a Grolsch, but the minute it warms up even slightly it just tastes horrid, like steel. The plus side, though, is to neck it down faster before you get the steel taste. Call it incentive!

Some other beers I recommend, are Heineken, and here in Australia we have a company that brews a beer called Coopers. Their Sparkling ale variety is fantastic. Hahn Super Dry is one I have been on recently, I like it because you don't get that bloated feeling after six or seven pints. And sorry to any Americans here, but the so-called King of Beers is rubbish. I'm sorry, but it really is. I think you have to be American to enjoy it, it must be a genetic thing or something.

macrocosm wrote:
"You only like metal because you want to suck another mans penis"

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:41 am 

Lately I've been buying 12 packs of the tall cans of Busch because they're cheap at about $13.

But, my favorite has always been Guinness and George Killian's Irish Red.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:44 am 

HollowedGround wrote:
I quite enjoy a Grolsch, but the minute it warms up even slightly it just tastes horrid, like steel. The plus side, though, is to neck it down faster before you get the steel taste. Call it incentive!

It's not a big problem for me as I have a bad tendency of drinking too fast. Maybe that's why I didn't really like it at first, it was too warm.

Otherwise I forgot about the English beers like Newcastle and Smithwicks as well as the obvious Irish ones. Kostriger is also one of my favourite black beer.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 am 

As far as recs go, depends on what you are into...traditional styles, hoppy brews, high alcohol, locale...etc.

I brew, so my tastes are likely different than most. Spent some of last weekend with some friends and enjoyed some AleSmith Speedway, Lost Abbey Inferno, Unibroue Maudite and La Fin du Monde

Currently looking forward to a Flemish/Belgian tasting party next weekend where everyone brings a few bottles for all to sample. My recent acquisitions that I will be supplying:

Floreffe Prima Melior
Deus
Chimay Grande Reserve ('05)
Kriek Boon
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Kwak

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 am 

I like bitch beers (because I'm a pretty big bitch), so I go for Blue Moon, Shock Top, and the girlier Sam Adams varieties. Why I am revealing this, I don't know.

If I'm trying to save money, however, I'll just go for Pabst.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:04 am 

I am such a heathen beer drinker, I barely vary at all. I mean I try new beers whenever I see them, but the US beers taste weak, and the European beers are all too fruity and fancy. I just sick to my Carlton Draught on tap and VB in cans. I'll admit VB is a bit on the shitty side, but seriously CD is as good as a draught beer I've had. It doesn't try to be fruity or soft or anything, it's just a nice raw heavy beer. I also drink quite a bit of James Squires beers, mainyl because the brewery is in the middle of Melbourne, their amber and golden ales are both quite nice, but as a warning literally every beer they sell smells like fart.

Geshy
Butterfly Matron Gaia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am 

Yuengling, Olde English. Everything else tastes like dishwater.

matrixmetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:48 am 

Red Hook ESB 6-packs, PBR 40 oz, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Heineken in the tall green cans, Pilsner Urquell, Stella, Guiness, Alaska IPA, Sol and Baltika.

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 am 

Being Straight Edge is the way of the future!
Stop before this alcahol harms you!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:33 am 

Anything but crappy Finnish lager is very expensive here, but from the fairly decent prices you can get the usual suspects I like, such as Corona, Guinness, Newcastle Brown Ale, Kilkenny and Pilsner Urquell . For lagers, I prefer Velkopopovicky Kozel, the light, not the dark. But the imported stuff just doesn't taste anywhere near as good as the stuff when they serve it in Czech Republic, foaming out of the tap. Beer heaven if you're looking to quaff large quantities

Aside from those, I enjoy a lot of stouts and ales. Fuller's London Porter (most of their products are splendid samples of their own styles), Koff Porter, Slottskällans Imperial Stout, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer, Beamish, Murphy's...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:35 am 

I mostly drink imperial stouts or scotch ales.. love the chunky shit. Otherwise, a bit of pale ale and bright ale goes down really nice, and a bit of Pilsner when it's stinking hot.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 am 

caspian wrote:
I mostly drink imperial stouts or scotch ales.. love the chunky shit. Otherwise, a bit of pale ale and bright ale goes down really nice, and a bit of Pilsner when it's stinking hot.

Caspian knows what's what.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:43 am 

Heineken is horrible.

I'm a big fan of Jupiler, Hertog Jan, Alfa and Franziskaner Weiß

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 am 

I absolutely and totally recommend Chimay and Leffe, and anyone who's ever had them will probably agree with me (though I bet some people out there may think they're overrated, whatever). 100% high quality stuff if you ask me.

Another absolute favourite is Kieler Bier, but it seems to be available only in the area around Kiel, Germany.

As for average, widely available stuff, I like the Irish stout stuff, and the standard German pilsener type beer.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:14 am 

I tend to stick with Belgian beers if I can but those are pricey and I'm a bum, so any beer these days as long as the alcohol percentage is over 5.5% at the very least.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 am 

EntilZha wrote:
I absolutely and totally recommend Chimay and Leffe, and anyone who's ever had them will probably agree with me (though I bet some people out there may think they're overrated, whatever). 100% high quality stuff if you ask me.

Leffe (assuming you're talking about the blonde...I haven't had any of the others) might be a little on the overrated side but it is still a very good brew. Chimay, however, deserves every bit of praise it gets. The blue especially is fantastic stuff.

I haven't been drinking much lately so I can't contribute a ton to the thread, but one recent beer that does stick out was Urthel's Hibernus Quentum, which was a top-notch tripel about on the same level as Chimay but not *quite* as good as the La Fin du Monde that EJ666 mentioned or Westmalle's tripel.

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 am 

Only Carlton Draught is real, especially if it is bottled or from the bar tap.

the_endcomplete
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 am 

Been buying the cheap stuff lately (fucking bills stealing all my money) there is some pretty good ones i have found though Carlton cold is my favorite cheap beer generally 30 bucks or so for a carton drinking one right now actually. For more expensive ones though i really like the Blue Tongue Pilsner, James Boag's premium/draught and Heineken. Recently stared brewing my own spirits which is great fun so i have only been buying the occasional carton of beer.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:06 am 

If I have money to blow I'll usually go for any of the Westmalles (especially tripel), Chimay tripel, Saint Bernardus, and Three Philosophers. Otherwise I'll have "normal" stuff like Sam Adams or Blue Moon or pretty much whatever they have. My favorite bar in my town has over three hundred different kinds of beers and at least eighty on tap, so every time I go I usually end up trying something different.
Death metal is eternal.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:35 am 

Current favourites: Lots of IPAs (Greene King and Deuchers are both good), Bitter & Twisted, Durham Magus and something like Wild Cat. Also, just for a refreshing, easy-drinking lager I'd go with Jupiler... I had it in Belgium recently and just found it very pleasant. I don't know, maybe any Belgians here would disagree with me. I'm used to shite like Tennants and Stella Artois when it comes to lager. :lol:

Cheap favourites: John Smiths Original (red can, not green can, smooth-flow mud-flavoured beer), and whatever else I can find in Lidl.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Bitter & Twisted

What's the ABV on this?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:12 am 

Anyone tried the new King Goblin from wychwood, it aint on the website but saw it in morrisons and was briefly afflicted with sobriety and didnt by one.

Any good???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 am 

MacMoney wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Bitter & Twisted

What's the ABV on this?

4.2%

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:37 am 

As for beer, my favorites are mainly those native trademarks:

Pilsner Urquell
Budweiser
Velkopopovický Kozel
Staropramen
Radegast
Bernard

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:42 am 

If there is any fruity beer any of you like, I HIGHLY recommend Wild Blue, it is a blueberry lager, which tastes exactly like them, and 8% alc.
As for the bitter types, Flying Dog Ales have some pretty good stuff as well. Flying Dog Brewery is noted for using the unusual art of Ralph Steadman, best known as the illustrator of the works of Hunter S. Thompson, on its labels.
Gonzo Imperial Porter, a flashy porter for the port's lover myea.
Double Dog Double Pale Ale are a couple of the good ones they have.

The New Belgium brewery has some good stuff, Ranger IPA-very, very tasty.
Mighty Arrow and Hoptober are seasonal, but still worth it. Sadly, there is none in the UK, just moved here and yet there is not ONE Arrogant Bastard or any good IPA. If any of you know of anything out here, let me know.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:45 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Anyone tried the new King Goblin from wychwood, it aint on the website but saw it in morrisons and was briefly afflicted with sobriety and didnt by one.

Any good???

I have not actually tried that just yet, but just recently tried the Wychcraft, Goliath, and Green Goblin- for you cider fans, I can say the GG is the best cider around by far. Wychwood has some good brews, making a trip to Oxford to the brewery for a few drinks and such. I shall look into the King Goblin, sounds interesting

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 am 

Note: I assume Aquarius is talking about the real Czech Budweiser, which tastes like beer, not the fake American Budweiser, which tastes like water.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Note: I assume Aquarius is talking about the real Czech Budweiser, which tastes like beer, not the fake American Budweiser, which tastes like water.

In China they have a fake version of the American Budweiser, 2.1% alcohol and even more horrid tasting but a lot better than the pineapple or litchi beer they have there.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm 

EntilZha wrote:

It is so, exactly.
Budweiser together with Pilsner Urquell are known almost all over the world.
I forgot about Gambrinus, which is another excellent beer of Czech production.
Czech people do love beer. Well, our country has the highest beer consumption per capita in the world!

http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next