Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:14 pm 

Hi,
It has been a while (maybe a year) without listening to Emperor (I don't like to get sick of bands so I try to diversify) and just listened to Anthems like two ours ago. Holy fucking shit! This album is a monster! I've been screaming the lyrics like a maniac in my car while getting home from a trekking in the mountain! Ja, ja, ja!!!
Ok, so I've been thinking, is there any other black metal album as complex and intense as this?
I remember someone recommending Setherial's Hell Eternal to someone asking for something similar to Emperor but I'm not convinced.
Opinions?
Thanks.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 pm 

Anthems... IS INDEED a monster and a masterpiece of an album. Trying to find something of similar quality, grandeur and actual musical approach is however a fruitless quest as there is nothing like Anthems...

And whoever compared it to a band like Setherial is ..... ah... inexperienced or shallow.

Sidian_Pariah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:59 pm 

Try some Sirius, they even do a couple covers of Emperor.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 pm 

Try Ceremonial Castings... they seem to have a big Emperor influence... I only have the "Barbaric Is The Beast" album but it kicks ass and I higly recommend it!!

They even do a cover of "I am the black wizards" on the album...

...To be honest I don't really like emperor beyond Wrath/Emperor EP's ect... and Ceremonial Castings huge emperor influence almost put me off... but they are influenced by emperor... not cloned on them... and their music suits my taste more...

Here's the title track from Barbaric:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmgzwsoiFo

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 pm 

The only answer I have for you is:

...more Emperor. I am sorry.

Though you might want to give Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I a try. Different aesthetic, but just as complex, beautiful, and monumentally epic.

LordAbyss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:23 am 

Anthems ... SUPER indeed.

well, try Darkspace III , sonically, it has a much similar atmosphere...floating synths, complex guitar layers..but with less leads though..

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:50 am 

Yeah, "Anthems.." is pretty unique. I doubt that you'll something similar or even slightly resembling the same style. However, try Hidden In The Fog, they are influenced by Emperor and might be an interesting listen.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:27 am 

Sidian_Pariah wrote:

I've started with (2000) Sirius - Aeons of Magick and it's a good rec, not as intense as Anthems but a good start in this search.
Thanks for all the recs! I've some new material to check out!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:55 am 

Emperor are for my money the greatest and most original black metal band to have ever existed, and remain one of my favourite artists of all time. There is nothing quite like any of their four albums, and no reccomendation will ever get close to them. I cannot reccomend anything that sounds completely like Emperor, but I can reccomend some things that bear some elements of the Emperor sound.

Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black widow, and Domine Non Es Dignus. Anaal Nathrakh's music is a kind of brutal black metal with grindcore elements, and with each album comes a little more flirtation with melodic passages. I reccomend these two albums for the vocals however, as their vocalist is the only one I have heard who can come close to reaching the epic soaring clean vocals of Ihsahn, which I love so very much. It isn't as epic but I'll be damned if it isn't the closest I have heard. The two albums in between these two also use them, but I find those albums to be quite lacking overall, and these two are great (as is their debut the Codx Necro, but that has none of the clean vocals and isn't suited to your request)

Dark Fortess - Stabwounds, (possibly Ylem but not really)
Dark Fortress are on a par with Emperor really in musical skill and originality, no two of their albums sound the same, or even similar. They build on their style on each album, and constantly progress. Stabwounds however is their greatest album. Aazathoth is an outstanding black metal vocalist, with every line being easily understood. Their two guitarists are excellent delivering punishing, yet melodic riffs. The bass isn't especially loud but their is a nice presence there that completes the album. But the qualities that make it a suitable reccomendation is the use of keyboards. Emperor have a way of using keyboards that is in no way overbearing or cheesey, and not many BM bands do this tbh. Dark Fortress are the same, quiet keyboards which really add to the atmosphere. They aren't too loud in the mix, they don't become an overbearing focal point like say, Dimmu Borgir. They are just right.

It is also worth mentioning that the above is my favourite album of all time, and the song "Like a Sonambulist in daylights fire" is simply stunning. The atmosphere throughout the whole album is fairly depressing, as the album was about Azaththoth's depression (funny that). The lyrics are well written and interesting, and again understandable. And I would put a substantial bet on Emperor being one of their main influences, though they are not a copycat band and found a style completely their own. On the LP version their is even a cover of I am the Black Wizards, which I have never heard so cannot tell you the quality of the cover.

Sorry about going overboard on this, but I could just write forever about the 3 mentioned bands.

Carbone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:25 pm 

As someone who has been hunting for an album similar to Anthems for a long, long time, the closest I have ever gotten is easily Drautran.

Here, give this a shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnop8Jiy ... re=related

They throw in a bit of their own flair here and there; namely the echoed clean guitars that sometimes make an appearance, which still can be referenced to the intro of Anthems. Vocals are also a bit different. But they keys, the guitars, and the overall atmosphere is REALLY close.

Both the demo and the full-length are good, and while both have good production values, the demos is naturally a little bit rougher. The song linked is from the demo.

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:26 pm 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
Try Ceremonial Castings... they seem to have a big Emperor influence... I only have the "Barbaric Is The Beast" album but it kicks ass and I higly recommend it!!

They even do a cover of "I am the black wizards" on the album...

...To be honest I don't really like emperor beyond Wrath/Emperor EP's ect... and Ceremonial Castings huge emperor influence almost put me off... but they are influenced by emperor... not cloned on them... and their music suits my taste more...

Here's the title track from Barbaric:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmgzwsoiFo

I cannot second this enough. Big Emperor fan and I love these guys!

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:24 pm 

Nokturnal Mortum's "To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire." They're not as musically adept as Emperor, but it's still a strong symphonic black metal album that bears the influence of both "Anthems" and "Nightside Eclipse."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5znKnEdJfU

Sidian_Pariah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Sidian_Pariah wrote:

I've started with (2000) Sirius - Aeons of Magick and it's a good rec, not as intense as Anthems but a good start in this search.
Thanks for all the recs! I've some new material to check out!
If you want something more intense, try Limbonic Art and their album Legacy of Evil or Crionics album Armageddons Evolution. Either way you wont be dissapointed.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:22 pm 

Hidden in the Fog are easily the most Emperor-esque band I've heard so far. A bit more similar to the later era of Emperor, but I'd still check out both albums (and the EP) if I were you. Magnificent albums!

Obtained Enslavement could be of interest. Especially Witchcraft and Soulblight.

Much of the same can be said about Obsidian Gate's two first albums, but they are far from as similar to Emperor as Hidden in the Fog and even Obtained Enslavement. But well worth a try.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:45 am 

Try Nazxul

ViF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:08 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/O ... ion/198475

Orakle from France, mixture of Emperor and Arcturus
you are already gods, without earthly desires. but one thing you want to know is that your own crash-dive is not in vain. regrettably, we will not be able to tell you the results. but i shall watch your efforts to the end and report your deeds to the throne

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:13 pm 

Try Ihsahn's side project Peccatum, especially "Strangling From Within".

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 am 

Maybe Nightbringer. Try Ego dominus tuus.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am 

I would go with Obsidian Gate from Germany:

From the first album:

From the second album:

from the third album:

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:31 pm 

samekh wrote:
Nokturnal Mortum's "To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire." They're not as musically adept as Emperor, but it's still a strong symphonic black metal album that bears the influence of both "Anthems" and "Nightside Eclipse."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5znKnEdJfU

I second this!! And imo, contains better songwriting than Anthems.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 pm 

Do you guys actually think the OP is still searching for recommendations after 9 years?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm 

:durr:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.