* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Byrain wrote:
Read 20th Century Boys in 2 days.....well, being sick and covered in poison oak rashes helped find time. Overall, its a worthy contender for Monster, but didn't leave as much as an impact. The characters feeling less memorable, the plot seeming more outlandish, and the antagonist's elusiveness being more ridiculous.
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
I'm mainly into Berserk, more recently. I just dislike the fact that they ended the anime in the worst way and then continued the manga. Ridiculous.

Read the earlier volumes? The anime left out loads and was lacking in many of the areas it did cover.

Edit: Punctuation.

Well, The way I understand Berserk is that it jumps around a lot. It starts off at the beginning of the second arc (I'm not sure?) and then goes through the first and then ends at the second again? It's fucked. I want them to properly assess the situation immediately. :lol:

It's not really all that confusing. It starts out with the main character already a middle-aged badass fighting a few baddies for a short arc to establish his character, then jumps all the way back to his birth for a looonnnng flashback (literally like 10 volumes) to detail how he got there. Then we get up where we were, and it continues forward. Basically it only jumps once, then gets back to where it started and continues onward chronologically from there. The pacing actually works very well, because you realize that something really traumatic must have happened to the main character to make him the way he is in the beginning of the series, and you realize the flashback is building up to it, but you don't know what's going to happen.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
So it was a (spoiler)fake out? Like the characters are transported to an illusion world without any memories of the real one? wtf that sucks for them. Where did the lead character go, too? Some blue dream ocean or something?(spoiler).

More like (spoiler)Suou and July (and who knows who else; rumour has it that one of the characters we see in the last scenes is November 11, that contractor from the first season) are transported to a real copy of the "real world" (i.e. there are two worlds), except the copy doesn't have contractors, or gates, or a fake sky, etc. This is apparently so they can be happy, or something, and was Suou's brother's plan from the start, to make up for the fact that Suou is herself a clone with fake memories.
Also, if there's ever a third season that involves Suou, I think it's possible that she might recover her memories at least partially, since at the end of season 2 she complains about feeling that something's missing.

As for the Chinese Electric Batman, no friggin' clue where he goes. IIRC, he just takes Yin and goes somewhere. Presumably to bury her or something, since Yin's body is supposed to be dead, and her soul and powers, including Izanami, fused with Suou's brother.
(spoiler)

Man, we really need to have spoiler tags to make text invisible in threads like this one.

OzzyApu wrote:
As much as I don't want the show to continue, I do want it to continue just to give me a better closer than that - even for one OVA.

There's this rumour floating around that they might do a third season, but the studio hasn't been very specific about the details, and never confirmed it. The closest has been some dude involved in making the second season saying that they had some ideas, so they might do something someday.

I'd like them to do something too, but the risk that they'll royally screw it is too high. For example, if they did what I suggested earlier, and ended up restoring the status quo prior to the end of season 2, then the whole second season will become (more of) a joke. If they don't, their other option is to have Hei deal with Izanami/Yin/Suou's brother, which could be good if done properly. But you know what I really want? What Studio Bones promised to do before the second season but never did: a series of OVAs that cover the War of the Gates (i.e a prequel to first season, with Hei and her sister in South America). Now that would kick ass.

Xyphler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

It's not really all that confusing. It starts out with the main character already a middle-aged badass fighting a few baddies for a short arc to establish his character, then jumps all the way back to his birth for a looonnnng flashback (literally like 10 volumes) to detail how he got there. Then we get up where we were, and it continues forward. Basically it only jumps once, then gets back to where it started and continues onward chronologically from there. The pacing actually works very well, because you realize that something really traumatic must have happened to the main character to make him the way he is in the beginning of the series, and you realize the flashback is building up to it, but you don't know what's going to happen.

Actually, he is in his early 20s :D Might not seem like it, but that's the truth.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 pm 

Well, his hair starts going gray later on. I guess it could be premature, though.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Way better pacing, way more adventurous, way more interesting fights, it's insane. I also never realized Goku grows up throughout it, by the end of the series he looks just like he did in early DBZ, I thought it was awesome knowing that. That and Piccolo Daimao was probably the second evilest villain next to Freeza, he killed so many people it's hilarious. If you got all the DBZ nostalgia going in, it makes for an awesome experience. I watched it all late last year and regret not getting to it sooner, haha. I watched all of it in Japanese too actually, it completely changes the characters for the best. I hated Goku in the dub because he was a pacifist bitch, but in the original he's just insanely naive and wants to be the strongest person around, so he LOVES fighting. All the characters just felt way more intelligent.

You watched the English dubbed version first??? That' a crime mate, everybody knows that the english dubbed versions are the worst (except for some latin american countries) but on the other side most of the latin american versions are in fact, better than the originals, Dragon Ball is just one example of this. Goku a pacifist bitch? I don't think so :lol:

Exactly. Besides, NOTHING will ever beat 18-or-so episodes of "The planet Nameku shall be destroyed in 5 minutes" in super-tense-voice Spanish narration.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Well, his hair starts going gray later on. I guess it could be premature, though.

If you had to go through all that crap he had to go through, your hair would go gray too. :P

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm 

Gelal wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

If you had to go through all that crap he had to go through, your hair would go gray too. :P

Actually, if I remember correctly, his hair goes gray because of his Berserker armor. It's an armor that grants great strength to the wearer, but it sucks the life out of the wearer as well. There's one part in which Gats over-used the armor and too much energy was sucked out of him. As a result, his body was wrecked and broken and his hair lost some pigmentation.
Xeogred wrote:
Finally after all these years, the newest Gundam OVA Unicorn goes back to the Universal Century, so it's a follow up to CCA/F91, etc. Way better than the last Gundam's (SEED and 00) so far. I'm not sure how I feel about the Char character, Full Frontal (yeah that's his name). In the novels this OVA is based off of he's clearly a clone, but they want to play it off in this OVA like he could potentially be Char... even after CCA. So that'd be kind of lame, but who knows (oh and yeah, they combine three parts to form ZZ. Haha lame, the Zeta was way cooler which could turn into a jet like form).

I must say that I'm really interested in that series, especially since the Unicorn Gundam looks badass. However, it's pretty ridiculous that, if I understand correctly, the bad guys are essentially a Zeon-related group. I mean, their basically battling against the remnants of the remnants of the remnants of the remnants of Zeon. I mean, can't Zeon just fucking die already?!

I've seen alot of the Universal Century Gundam series. I've seen Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam 0080, and Gundam 0083. There all pretty good, but my personal favorite is Gundam 0083. Great, realistic animation, great characters, great battle sequences, and nothing beats the great line from the villain Gato before he obliterates 3/4 of the Earth's army with a nuclear warhead, "For the rebirth of the ideals of Zeon! For the success of Operation Stardust! SOLOMON I HAVE RETURNED!"

I still have Gundam ZZ and CCA to watch, but after going through the Gundam binge recently and watching those series I just mentioned in a row in just a couple of months, I basically went on a break. I need to get back to it though...

Last edited by SuperVeji4 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Way better pacing, way more adventurous, way more interesting fights, it's insane. I also never realized Goku grows up throughout it, by the end of the series he looks just like he did in early DBZ, I thought it was awesome knowing that. That and Piccolo Daimao was probably the second evilest villain next to Freeza, he killed so many people it's hilarious. If you got all the DBZ nostalgia going in, it makes for an awesome experience. I watched it all late last year and regret not getting to it sooner, haha. I watched all of it in Japanese too actually, it completely changes the characters for the best. I hated Goku in the dub because he was a pacifist bitch, but in the original he's just insanely naive and wants to be the strongest person around, so he LOVES fighting. All the characters just felt way more intelligent.

You watched the English dubbed version first??? That' a crime mate, everybody knows that the english dubbed versions are the worst (except for some latin american countries) but on the other side most of the latin american versions are in fact, better than the originals, Dragon Ball is just one example of this. Goku a pacifist bitch? I don't think so :lol:

Yeah, Goku's practically my favorite character now. Before with only dub knowledge of the series he was easily my least favorite.

Nowadays I never bother with dubs at all.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:34 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Yeah, Goku's practically my favorite character now. Before with only dub knowledge of the series he was easily my least favorite.

Nowadays I never bother with dubs at all.

Goku is the way to go :lol: I'm also aware that this character we call Mr. Satan in Mexico, was called Hercule in the USA, is that true? How could you not name Mr. Satan that freak? :lol:

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:57 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Goku is the way to go :lol: I'm also aware that this character we call Mr. Satan in Mexico, was called Hercule in the USA, is that true? How could you not name Mr. Satan that freak? :lol:

The US version was a joke, changed a bunch of things and cut out 20 or so episodes of content out and still managed to feel more drawn out then the original...

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:18 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:

The US version was a joke, changed a bunch of things and cut out 20 or so episodes of content out and still managed to feel more drawn out then the original...

Really? :lol: It's true that DBZ some sort of anime with a LOT of fillers in it, but it was great, it made you feel anxious, and excited, and you wanted Goku to fight Boo already!!! The same thing happened with Pokémon, as they put a lot of mexican jokes on it. It was hilarious to hear James say "Y yo soy Jamemememessss" and "Ahí Madre!" :lol:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:

One of the funniest changes is that they make out Dr. Gero to be the leader of the RR army. That's not even true at all, he was just some remnant scientist... Commander Red was obviously the leader in Dragon Ball.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 pm 

Gelal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
So it was a (spoiler)fake out? Like the characters are transported to an illusion world without any memories of the real one? wtf that sucks for them. Where did the lead character go, too? Some blue dream ocean or something?(spoiler).

More like (spoiler)Suou and July (and who knows who else; rumour has it that one of the characters we see in the last scenes is November 11, that contractor from the first season) are transported to a real copy of the "real world" (i.e. there are two worlds), except the copy doesn't have contractors, or gates, or a fake sky, etc. This is apparently so they can be happy, or something, and was Suou's brother's plan from the start, to make up for the fact that Suou is herself a clone with fake memories.
Also, if there's ever a third season that involves Suou, I think it's possible that she might recover her memories at least partially, since at the end of season 2 she complains about feeling that something's missing.

As for the Chinese Electric Batman, no friggin' clue where he goes. IIRC, he just takes Yin and goes somewhere. Presumably to bury her or something, since Yin's body is supposed to be dead, and her soul and powers, including Izanami, fused with Suou's brother.
(spoiler)
rest of post

Ahhhhhh that makes it clearer. Must have been crap subtitles that screwed me over on what was up with that ending. Ha, didn't know you were a fan. Guess I kind of liked the show, as it definitely matured a bit by the end of season 1. Still wish the battles were longer instead of short bursts of action (though this is also in context to contractors not being able to use a ton of their powers without a payment).

Actually, reading your spoiler paragraph, makes me want to cry again. :cry: What a sad ending; I was hoping Souo [spoiler arrrg]would stay on the non-copy earth with Hei and Yin would live, but apparently some plots don't work out in my favor.

Would also say top 3 characters from that show:

1. Nov 11th - this guy is suave and badass. Honestly is the best package rolled in one.
2. Hei - Obviously.
3. The private investigator guy - had a great personality (although some might find it juvenile comedy) and was realistic and motivated.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Yper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm 

Hey guys; there's an anime called Detroit Metal City

It's about a japanese metal band; well, I just wanted to throw this in here because:

1 - the anime is about metal//a metal band

2 - is just hilarious

3 - the "band" is present here on MA :D - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540280303

If you google it, you'll find some download links. Also, I'd like to add that the aforementioned anime has a distinctive japanese humour.

On a side note, if there is a 'best' anime out there, it is no other than One Piece.

edit - by the way, here's the opening to Detroit Metal City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1HnC4XV_us

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am 

Yper wrote:
Hey guys; there's an anime called Detroit Metal City

It's about a japanese metal band; well, I just wanted to throw this in here because:

1 - the anime is about metal//a metal band

2 - is just hilarious

3 - the "band" is present here on MA :D - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540280303

If you google it, you'll find some download links. Also, I'd like to add that the aforementioned anime has a distinctive japanese humour.

On a side note, if there is a 'best' anime out there, it is no other than One Piece.

edit - by the way, here's the opening to Detroit Metal City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1HnC4XV_us

DMC is absolutely hilarious! Is a very good anime for any Metalhead that want to have a fun time watching a Death/Black Metal Band with a pretty girly frontman, but when he comes onstage, its Amazing!

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 am 

Thirding the DMC rec. While the metalness of their music is debatable (after all, the musicians behind it are from a non-metal band, and it shows in the album; frankly I'm surprised that they're in the Archives), it has too many epic and hilarious moments, (spoiler) like that one when the protagonist goes to Tokyo Tower and rapes it.(spoiler)

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 am 

Well, here in MA is one band of an Anime, that I simply love it: Death Devil from the anime K-On!
They're my favorite band from Japan! Seriously :grin:

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:43 am 

I've recently fallen in love with Anime. And I have Evangelion to thank for that. Nothing has ever made me feel so miserable EVER, nothing has ever had chills running down my spine so much. Evangelion is religion. That said if it weren't for sites like evageeks I would not appreciate it nearly as much as I do now.

Concerning other shows though, I've recently checked out FLCL and Black Lagoon. Black Lagoon is fucking brilliant and FLCL one of the happier things I've seen in recent times. It's probably the only Anime I've laughed at that isn't Trigun. And that's saying something.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:17 am 

Really? You should watch Texhnolyze, now that's a fucked up ending.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:59 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Really? You should watch Texhnolyze, now that's a fucked up ending.

That's a fucked up anime. I enjoyed all the 22 chapters, and yeah, the last one is just disturbing... You all need to watch that, right now!

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 pm 

Erisgaroth wrote:
Well, here in MA is one band of an Anime, that I simply love it: Death Devil from the anime K-On!

Really? I just cheked them, and they're not that great :lol: but sure they plan some fast metal riffs...

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 am 

Has anyone else heawrd of, or possibly even like Kekkaishi?

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:29 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:

...how much japanese metal have you actually listened to?

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 am 

Underground ones, but I don't listen to them all days. Death Devil was the first one, and I don't know, they're my favorite, but I'm not saying that Death Devil is the best band from Japan. Dark Insanity or Area51 are bands that impress me much. Aphasia (a very good Rock/Metal band) Sincerity Green, Ethereal Sin, Gallhammer, Aion, Veirsalles, Sigh, Moi Dix Mois, Light Bringer, Concerto Moon.
Well, a lot of bands really, and each one with a peculiar thing that I love, but I listen all of these in few occassions. Sorry for the misleading quote of mine.

I will listen to more Japanese Metal, and not only the anime ones.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:

There should be more bands like Animetal doing the new anime songs!!! It would be amazing... Right now I'm listening to the DBGT soundtrack and it is awesome, not as much as the Digimon one but still :D those songs deserve to be on metal.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Erisgaroth wrote:

There should be more bands like Animetal doing the new anime songs!!! It would be amazing... Right now I'm listening to the DBGT soundtrack and it is awesome, not as much as the Digimon one but still :D those songs deserve to be on metal.

Woah sure! DBGT have the best soundtrack to me. I love it since i was a child, and still loves it

GhostofMidwin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:40 pm 

I don't like many. I love Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Ghost in a shell, samurai champloo, blood+, and a few other I cant think of. Anime is cool when its pulled off correctly.
Edit: Also the Hayao Miyazaki films are great.

Wodhlud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm 

For the most part, Anime is just a reason for overweight, ugly women to dress up in revealing clothing and attempt to escape their horrid lot in life by being something they only wish they could be.

But I'll be damned if Gundam Wing didn't kick ass.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 pm 

Now that's funny!

Jmo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:31 am 

Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Big O and Dragonball/DBZ are the only anime shows I would consider myself a fan of, but I haven't seen many. I despise Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, however.

Almost all Ghibli Studios films are amazing, especially Princess Mononoke.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 pm 

The Wings of Honneamise (1987)

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:37 am 

:lol: D.M.C. is actually a band i saw from the Random Band function. pretty funny stuff!

Anyway, i'[ve started to watch Deser Punk, and the first episode seems ok. Can anyone tell me if i'm wasting my time?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

DarkMoonBlackSky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:47 pm 

Wodhlud wrote:

But I'll be damned if Gundam Wing didn't kick ass.

Exactly.
I watched Gundam: Endless Waltz a few days ago, great anime with heaps of action and a nice plot.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 pm 

Blacklinkz wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Exactly. Besides, NOTHING will ever beat 18-or-so episodes of "The planet Nameku shall be destroyed in 5 minutes" in super-tense-voice Spanish narration.

I'm watching DB again for the first time in probably 9 years now (I've never seen the whole series) and I REALLY don't remember it being like this. As a kid the show bored me because there wasn't enough AWESOME FIGHTS WITH LOTS OF EXPLOSIONS but now I'm enjoying it.

Still, the part I don't remember is the groping / raping / feeling up / molesting / perversion. I probably didn't get it when I was a kid, but that's what's going through just about every character's mind in this show. This would NEVER be on a kids show today.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
there wasn't enough AWESOME FIGHTS WITH LOTS OF EXPLOSIONS

So, several-episodes-spanning fights with country-sized explosions every five seconds or so was not enough for you at the time? What kind of shows where you watching, then, anyway?

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Still, the part I don't remember is the groping / raping / feeling up / molesting / perversion. I probably didn't get it when I was a kid, but that's what's going through just about every character's mind in this show. This would NEVER be on a kids show today.

CN never aired the first 10 episodes on TV.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:45 pm 

Blacklinkz wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
there wasn't enough AWESOME FIGHTS WITH LOTS OF EXPLOSIONS

So, several-episodes-spanning fights with country-sized explosions every five seconds or so was not enough for you at the time? What kind of shows where you watching, then, anyway?

Again, Dragon Ball never had a shit ton of those on the episodes that I saw (as I said, I never saw the whole series, only certain episodes (like 20 of them)). DBZ I was apeshit over because it did have a ton of long drawn out fights and explosions.

As for CN never airing the first 10, that makes sense. I'd expect them to cut out all that stuff but not airing them in the first place makes sense, too. Actually it doesn't, but whatever.

@Xeo - and the only reason I'm watching it right now is because the trusty-site that I watch LOGH on is down so I can't watch any right now :(

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 pm 

No excuses needed, DB's fucking legit in my book. The whole thing is pretty amazing, the fights are consistently interesting, and the pacing is way better than DBZ's. I watched all of it myself in January this year, it was an awesome experience finally seeing the "full story" to the whole thing you could say. King Piccolo is probably the second most evil villain in the whole thing next to Freeza. Even Tenshihan starts off pretty evil, and all the way up to the end of DB he was probably the 3rd strongest character. Boy did that change... (sadly). You watching it in Japanese?

How far are you in LOGH now anyways? lol.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:33 pm 

On LOGH I'm right at where Poplan and Julian arrive at Earth. I was continuing but the site that I'm watching it on has been down for a couple days and other sites go by Megaupload streams which sucks donkey dick.

As for DB, yes I'm watching it in Japanese with English subs. If I watched the English dub then, while I saw it as a kid that way, would probably be censored. I was watching DB Kai with english subs too, but that was months ago when they were still being aired. Now I could go back to it, but not before LOGH and DB.

Agreed on the consistency. This is waaay better than the 10 minute stare-downs and jumpiness of DBZ.

asd27
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:59 pm 

Watching Hetalia right now.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next