* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:05 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:
I love learning about space, though it absolutely terrifies me. Where else can you see things like this? A star that looks like the Eye of Sauron?
[img]space%20eye%20of%20sauron[/img]

Man that's creepy. The Horsehead Nebula I also find to be really, really scary. Just thinking about not only how far that is, but how immensely large and eerie it lies out in the middle of nowhere. :(

Those are pretty creepy, but I don't think that they can ever match the intense feeling of fear that is experienced when looking at the Hourglass Nebula. I first witnessed this as a young child and to this day it still scares me.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:56 am 

THE ALL-SEEING EYE (Helix nebula):

Definitely one of my favorite space pics. I've had a side-view of the milky way as my background for Opera's speed dial page for some time. Space is the best.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:14 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
I've had a side-view of the milky way as my background for Opera's speed dial page for some time.

Artist's vision, I believe?

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 am 

haha Napero

Yeah, space is pretty awesome. It's huge and hostile and alien and completely rad. I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread, except to say that i am grateful about the complete lack of light pollution certain places in WA have.. Venus gets bright enough to cast a shadow. Truly fantastic...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

wentwaldo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:21 pm 

Space is not the final frontier but just The Lord's backyard. There's nothing to be afraid of.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:31 pm 

Has anyone watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos series?

The secular humanist organization I volunteer for in Indianapolis is planning to rent a movie theater in a couple months to show two episodes in his honor - it'll be on his birthday. I'm trying to decide which episodes would be best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

I haven't watched the series, but I read the book a few years ago. The chapter that stands out to me is "Who Speaks for Earth?" I'm leaning toward maybe "The Edge of Forever" as my second choice.

Which two episodes do you guys like most?

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 pm 

Napero wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:
I've had a side-view of the milky way as my background for Opera's speed dial page for some time.

I don't get it. :(

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 am 

space is scary ?
and most people find it safe on this wretched haven of filth existing as earth? fuckin hell, where can i sign up to be put in a pod and sent to this place of timeless wonders?
that is interesting, time never existed until we came along. time was invented by the ones, who vanish overtime. yet the 'hostile vast void' out above continues to be itself(?).
now that i think about it, has any of you ever wondered what is outside of space? or, what started it (all of space) at least? to a final note, what is the reasoning ?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:15 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Napero wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:

Is it a photograph? Show us.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:16 am 

niix wrote:
space is scary ?
and most people find it safe on this wretched haven of filth existing as earth? fuckin hell, where can i sign up to be put in a pod and sent to this place of timeless wonders?
that is interesting, time never existed until we came along. time was invented by the ones, who vanish overtime. yet the 'hostile vast void' out above continues to be itself(?).
now that i think about it, has any of you ever wondered what is outside of space? or, what started it (all of space) at least? to a final note, what is the reasoning ?

I would say that time began when space did, time in the sense that we understand time. I don't believe that time has been proven to exist by any experiment anyway. How space began doesn't interest me so much, because whenever someone claims to have the answer it always seems to be extremely dry.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:04 am 

wentwaldo wrote:
Space is not the final frontier but just The Lord's backyard. There's nothing to be afraid of.

And the vacuum, temperatures, radiation and general hostility to biological life is just his way of saying "Get off my lawn, you fuckers!"? Nice geezer we have there.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:06 am 

Napero wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:
Napero wrote:
The_Orphanizer wrote:

Is it a photograph? Show us.

:durr: D'oh.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2369713390086410624WGmoIn

Quote:
Explanation: Our magnificent Milky Way Galaxy sprawls across this ambitious all-sky panorama. In fact, at 800 million pixels the full resolution mosaic strives to show all the stars the eye can see in planet Earth's night sky. Part of ESO's Gigagalaxy Zoom Project, the mosaicked images were recorded over several months of 2008 and 2009 at exceptional astronomical sites; the Atacama Desert in the southern hemisphere and the Canary Islands in the northern hemisphere. Also capturing bright planets and even a comet, the individual frames were stitched together and mapped into a single, flat, apparently seamless360 by 180 degree view. The final result is oriented so the plane of our galaxy runs horizontally through the middle with the bulging Galactic Center at image center. Below and right of center are the Milky Way's satellite galaxies, the Magellanic Clouds.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:30 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:
I love learning about space, though it absolutely terrifies me. Where else can you see things like this? A star that looks like the Eye of Sauron?
[img]space%20eye%20of%20sauron[/img]

Man that's creepy. The Horsehead Nebula I also find to be really, really scary. Just thinking about not only how far that is, but how immensely large and eerie it lies out in the middle of nowhere. :(

Those are pretty creepy, but I don't think that they can ever match the intense feeling of fear that is experienced when looking at the Hourglass Nebula. I first witnessed this as a young child and to this day it still scares me.

I suppose it means I'm very mundane and lack imagination, but these images aren't creepy or scary to me at all. They're just forms in space, lightyears away from us, not to mention images long from the past. They're pretty cool and these colored versions look very nice and they might serve as a good inspiration and starting point for a Lovecraftish tale, but as real world things, they're just formations far, far away that has no bearing on our lives whatsoever so not creepy and definitely not scary.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 am 

Not of space, but from space. The sunset photo is incredible.

I'm with MacMoney; those pics aren't scary, they're beautiful. I guess I consider space "terrifying" because of how little we know (even then, it's just more of a reason to get to know it...), but what we do know only intrigues me more and more. Space is the best.

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:22 am 

I have a fascination with space since my childhood. As a kid, I used to go to the library and search books with amazing nebula pictures. In my study I have a big picture of the Horsehead Nebula region (with also the Flame Nebula on it) on a black wall. There are so many incredible phenomena, facts and theories about the universe, it really never gets boring. It's rightfully one of the oldest sciences. Every day scientists discover "new" objects like galaxies or clusters that had already vanished before our solar system came into being, only because their light took billions of years to reach us, wonderful.

RETLAW18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 pm 

Does anybody else belive that we are not the only ones out there?

Call me a nut but I belive we cant possibly be the only intelligent life in the univerese.

Maybe theres an alien somewhere out in space jacking off to our wives through a super powerful intergalatic telescope on another planet.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 pm 

RETLAW18 wrote:

Call me a nut but I belive we cant possibly be the only intelligent life in the univerese.

Maybe theres an alien somewhere out in space jacking off to our wives through a super powerful intergalatic telescope on another planet.

hm.
well, look at us.
one small part, of ANYthing already known to be studied or existing..
far from it all, and further from that the other way.
and people want to say our planet has the ONLY existing forms of intelligence? idk about that one, but i can say i think there are other types of intelligence, just not in our form perhaps. maybe as in 'alienated' versions of what we consider 'plants', they have what they consider themselves 'humans'..either way, somewhere in this known and unknown depths of the deep void, there is other communication taking place. but what am i to say so, if i have not joined the dead?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 pm 

niix wrote:
RETLAW18 wrote:

hm.
well, look at us.
and people want to say our planet has the ONLY existing forms of intelligence? idk about that one, but i can say i think there are other types of intelligence, just not in our form perhaps. maybe as in 'alienated' versions of what we consider 'plants', they have what they consider themselves 'humans'..either way, somewhere in this known and unknown depths of the deep void, there is other communication taking place. but what am i to say so, if i have not joined the dead?

I'm not totally sure about genuine intelligence, I'd think LIFE of some sort has to be there, but you know, intelligence on even our level is crazy rare. There probably is something out there which is intelligent on our level at least. Us ever communicating with them is another matter though of course.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
niix wrote:
RETLAW18 wrote:

hm.
well, look at us.

I'm not totally sure about genuine intelligence, I'd think LIFE of some sort has to be there, but you know, intelligence on even our level is crazy rare. There probably is something out there which is intelligent on our level at least. Us ever communicating with them is another matter though of course.

Bacteria has already been found in space.

http://www.panspermia.org/bacteria.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... orite.html

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:28 am 

that is what i mean entirely, some sort of life out there. from bacteria to seven eyed entities who self-reproduce and give birth every four minutes while uttering hieroglyphics in the vocal chord range of a cat (cats have over a hundred vocal chords) and releasing blue fluids into the atmosphere that helps them call for their lost memories and self reproduce once again.. fucking hell i don't know but i know something is bound to exist.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm 

megalowho wrote:
Has anyone watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos series?

The secular humanist organization I volunteer for in Indianapolis is planning to rent a movie theater in a couple months to show two episodes in his honor - it'll be on his birthday. I'm trying to decide which episodes would be best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

I haven't watched the series, but I read the book a few years ago. The chapter that stands out to me is "Who Speaks for Earth?" I'm leaning toward maybe "The Edge of Forever" as my second choice.

Which two episodes do you guys like most?

I like the one where he described theoretical creatures which could live on Jupiter, I can't tell you which chapter it was though, maybe skim through the book, there might be pictures, the tv series had artist's representations.

deathill777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 am 

Man Instead of guys at NASA wasting all you guy's tax money or something, Scientists should first work on inner space and discover shit from there first.
Outer Space is pretty barren and useless unless you go deep anyways, unlike super deep sea shit with monstrous fishes etc.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 am 

[quote="Bonesnap"]My best friend and ex-roommate is doing a double major in physics and astronomy. He owns three telescopes and works at an observatory. We sit and talk about philosophy and space over beers very often...[quote]

You know, I've found that's pretty much the best time about that kind of stuff is over beers. I get the most philisophical and scientific when i've had a few (dozen) in me. lol the real wonderment and vastness of space and time and peoples' arguements about it really REALLY seem to mean something then. Simply *mindblowing*

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:36 am 

Check this out

It's incredible what cheap and easy technology can do these days... so cool.

TheDeathlyLlama
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm 

Here is a very interesting measurement of the scale of our universe, I think you may find this highly entertaining draconis. www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347/r:f
[2:20pm] Uncolored left the chat room. (Quit: only death is real)
[2:20pm] caspian: vuck <-- now that hasn't been used. that has potential
[2:20pm] caspian: (c) caspian 2010

TheDeathlyLlama
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Check this out

This is probably one of the coolest things that I have seen lately. And how awesome of his father for giving an experience such as this to a child. Thanks for showing this.
[2:20pm] Uncolored left the chat room. (Quit: only death is real)
[2:20pm] caspian: vuck <-- now that hasn't been used. that has potential
[2:20pm] caspian: (c) caspian 2010

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 am 

TheDeathlyLlama wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
Check this out

This is probably one of the coolest things that I have seen lately. And how awesome of his father for giving an experience such as this to a child. Thanks for showing this.

Yeah, I quite liked that.

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/

All the hi-res, delectable space images one could ever need. They have one of the Pinwheel Galaxy thats 12,000 x 12,000 pixels! :drool:

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:50 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Space is infinite.
It is dark.
Space is neutral.
It is cold.

Stars occupy minute areas of space. They are clustered a few billion here. A few billion there. As if seeking consolation in numbers.
Space does not care.

Space does not threaten.
Space does not comfort.
It does not sleep; it does not wake; it does not dream; it does not hope; it does not fear; it does not love; it does not hate; it does not encourage any of these qualities.
Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact.
Space is the absence of time and of matter

sounds like the internet

plasticpope
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 am 

no douglas adams quotes? I'll add my two cents with some of those.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. "

"Space is big. It's really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. "

and my favourite of all... "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:31 pm 

What's crazy to think about, is that there are still stars that people haven't seen yet, because they are simply too far away for their light to have hit us yet. Those same stars could have already been burnt out, and we would only get that light millions of years after it was already gone

-Edited for spelling

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Last edited by Gelseth_Andrano on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 pm 

How did you manage to spell "star" as "start" twice in a row? o_O

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 am 

Morrigan wrote:
How did you manage to spell "star" as "start" twice in a row? o_O

You know, that's a good question but I don't quite have an answer. All I can say is that the keyboard I have to use at work BLOWS and i actually don't have this problem with any others :ugh:

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:34 pm 

RETLAW18 wrote:

It sure would be a little selfish to think we're the only intelligent life form in the universe. Especially if omniverses exist. I feel so damn small right now. I wonder how long our civilization lasts in this world of gamma rays, supernovas, black holes et cetera. Let's hope we can find a way to save and record our knowledge and history before we get erased from the universe. Then maybe some other highly developed race could learn from us. Or laugh their asses off.

pseudodraconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:04 pm 

Napero wrote:
wentwaldo wrote:

And the vacuum, temperatures, radiation and general hostility to biological life is just his way of saying "Get off my lawn, you fuckers!"? Nice geezer we have there.
And there are kids who just still won't listen!

Pertinent excerpt: "Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of -273°C (-459 °F), close to absolute zero,[5] temperatures as high as 151 °C (303 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[6] and almost a decade without water.[7] In September 2007, tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission and for 10 days were exposed to the vacuum of space. After they were returned to Earth, it was discovered that many of them survived and laid eggs that hatched normally.[8]"

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:33 pm 

Mentioned this in the FFA, but thought I'd mention it here too:

Geminids meteor shower is tonight, and if you're in southern California, there will be an interceptor launch which will be visible in the early day (launch is between 8am and noon).

kaltregen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsgR38lf ... re=related

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:10 pm 

I wish we could get our government to stop spending money unecessarily, such as paving the same road every year, so we can go further with NASA. We don't even know what's beneath the surface of the moon. Think of all the minerals we can find to use.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:42 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Think of all the minerals we can find to use.

Fuck all. Space mining is a retarded idea.

GhostofMidwin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:32 pm 

Space is beautiful but frighting. I have always wondered what is like in that deep abyss.....

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:06 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
Think of all the minerals we can find to use.

Fuck all. Space mining is a retarded idea.

Space mining will actually become essential if we as a civilization continue to grow healthily.

The Russian astronomer Nikolai Karashev created a scale of civilizations, ranging from 0-3. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, but for those of you that haven't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

If we get past the Uranium barrier, it is very likely that we will be able to move to a Type I Civilization.

I've always been interested in Astronomy and space in general. It's so much cooler than anything here on Earth. Astronomy is actually what got me into Physics, which is what I'm majoring in today. Something that I find even more depressing than the Big Crunch theory is the fact that in about 10^32 years, all protons in the universe will have decayed. This means that NO elements will be able to form.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next