Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 am 

Down Under's title should be possibly edited with those dates for the lazy dudes who won't read the thread. Nippincher, where are you lurking?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 am 

im going to try to beat my record and write 2 reviews for the challenge: The Asphyx dvd and the Depths of Eternity compilation. Maybe something else as well but i doubt it.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm 

Alright, I have my list of reviews ready. I did most of my singles last challenge, so this time around I'll be doing mostly full lengths and a few dvds.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm 

I don't intend in doing much, but I'd have a lot more time than usual

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:27 pm 

With this challenge, I will hopefully add a scrolling bar to my review page.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 am 

got a bit of stuff so far. Will be busy for most of the time it's on though.. If I can get to double figures I'll be happy.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 am 

caspian wrote:
got a bit of stuff so far. Will be busy for most of the time it's on though.. If I can get to double figures I'll be happy.

Anything from the stuff you loaded on your MP3 player to be expected?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:
With this challenge, I will hopefully add a scrolling bar to my review page.

As silly as it might sound, that was an exciting day for me too. :lol:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:37 am 

Lucky for the top contenders, I won't be participating in this one as much as I'd hope. I've been on a huge anime binge that's pretty much got me completely sidetracked, making writing reviews seem like a serious bore. I'll still get out a couple dozen, but I don't plan on nail +80 like I hoped.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:40 am 

I got some stoner and sludge doom reviews in the works right now. I'll try to finish them off in time for the challenge. I tend to write a couple sentences here and there, and keep switching back and forth so it takes me forever to write reviews.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:00 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Lucky for the top contenders, I won't be participating in this one as much as I'd hope. I've been on a huge anime binge that's pretty much got me completely sidetracked, making writing reviews seem like a serious bore. I'll still get out a couple dozen, but I don't plan on nail +80 like I hoped.

Every little bit helps man. I'm trying to stay focused on getting the total number of cumulative reviews up to above our current record, so I'll probably be attempting to get into around the same neighborhood that you were shooting for (though I've gotten a bit rusty since I've spent two challenges just putting forth minimal effort, in no small part due to my mother's breast cancer and strokes).

Hopefully we'll have a larger number of total participants, and maybe with luck Noktorn might decide to become a contender again in these things, as he's been absent from them for quite a while.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 pm 

I've switched over all the Review Challenge stats queries in the Discordance to show this current challenge, and moved the whole Review Challenge section up to the top of the index for the week. Note that stats are updated only nightly (midnightish, Boston time) unless I'm around to run extra updates by hand, and most of this week I probably won't be. So don't bother hitting Refresh during the day hoping for a minute-by-minute updates...

RC 11 by Reviewer

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:32 am 

Mmmmkay contest has started get to writing, folks.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:41 am 

Ready... set... uncle...

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:33 am 

Napero wrote:
caspian wrote:

Anything from the stuff you loaded on your MP3 player to be expected?

Maybe. Unfortunately (well, not really :D ) a fairly out of season swell has arrived to WA, so I'll be spending the 28th to the 1st somewhere south of my internet connection. Having a good time with friends instead of sitting home and writing reviews, oh no!!! At the very least I'm going to continue my "review an unimportant metallica release" review challenge streak by reviewing the Down Under tour EP I got for christmas tomorrow.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:56 am 

Ah shit, it started! I'll try to pound out some reviews for some demos tomorrow, and move on to full albums if I feel up to snuff.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 am 

Just reviewed Urgehal's The Eternal Eclipse compilation and realized it wasn't a virgin. What a dumbass. Mind you, it meant I got to listen to Urgehal for a bit.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 am 

It really shows that I haven't reviewed for a long time, I am beyond rusty, I write like a complete novice, or worse. Expect my first review up within the hour, but don't expect anything remotely comparable to the height of my reviewing career, I pretty much completely lost it. :(

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:16 am 

droneriot wrote:
Expect my first review up within the hour, but don't expect anything remotely comparable to the height of my reviewing career, I pretty much completely lost it. :(

The word is "myötähäpeä". :P

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 am 

well, I shat out one review just so I'd get my name on the thing. Will hold out on doing anything else unless if something really jumps out at me..

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 am 

Just sent in a few reviews. Reviewing is clearly something I am not the best at. Always struggled to write with a good sense of flow. Anyways good practice for my writing skills in case I go back to school.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:18 pm 

First review submitted. This whole thing had slipped my mind until last night, so I'm scrambling a bit at the moment, but I'm sure I'll ease back into my flow soon.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:52 pm 

Off to a good start. A lot of reviews submitted today have been accepted so far. :)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm 

AcidWorm, metal genres do not need capital letters, they are not proper nouns.

Just sayin'.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 pm 

Two reviews start to finish in about two hours...yeah, I blew my load early. I think it's a safe bet I won't be so "prolific" for the rest of the contest.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:00 pm 

Napero wrote:
AcidWorm, metal genres do not need capital letters, they are not proper nouns.

Just sayin'.

Thanks I will keep that in mind, and will edit my reviews accordingly when I get the chance as I am about to head out. :)

caspian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:39 pm 

so Ozzy, are you trying to gay up the review challenge, or just Thin Lizzy's page? Or both? That's gotta be the most pointless waste of text I've ever seen, fucken hell man..

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:58 pm 

-->?

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:28 pm 

I think it has to do with you reviewing all those singles, Ozzy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 pm 

I know. I just didn't want to bitch back at him.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm 

I'm trying to avoid doing too much single reviewing this time around, even though the cap has been taken off. There's a good number of little known bands out there who need some love, so I ended up abusing the hell out of that "random band" feature about 2 months ago and collected about 60 cheap demos, EPs and split releases to copulate with. I also did some web search work and came across some NWOBHM material that is along the same lines as what DeathRiderDoom has been reviewing since he came on here.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:54 pm 

Even though they are singles, I'm still putting effort into them. Doesn't matter if it's one song. If caspian's getting his miner knickers in bunch over these Thin Lizzy singles, then he's going to shit himself when I do X Japan.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Even though they are singles, I'm still putting effort into them. Doesn't matter if it's one song. If caspian's getting his miner knickers in bunch over these Thin Lizzy singles, then he's going to shit himself when I do X Japan.

I'm not judging, just stating what my mode of operation is this time around, as I didn't want to simply lurk on this thread. I'm guessing based on Perplexed's silence that he isn't going to be participating this time around, or that he'll only be contributing a few to this one, so we are definitely going to need you to pull weight to get our total review count up.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:39 pm 

:lol: thanks for the encouragement, bud. After I get through with some others starting tomorrow (I'm burned out for tonight), I'll hit up X Japan. You'll see that page fill up mighty quick tomorrow. Last contest we didn't have the random search button, so I had to go blog-dumpster diving for horrible demos - and I did most of the searching during the contest.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 am 

Wow, I had forgotten that this thing began today (well, it's the 28th now). Anyway since I'm not home and I won't be back for a few days, plus I have a very small amount of unreviewed stuff to work with, I won't even graze my previous challenge result. I'll try to get a couple in once I get back home, just for the heck of it. Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:40 am 

We should have the 12th challenge right after this one, starting January 3rd. Just saying, there's gotta be a way to close the gap to autothrall...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 am 

There's just no fucken point doing them, short of upping your review count for the challenge. If those singles had a bunch of real rarities going then maybe, but even then it strikes me as something only a proper fan would care about (i wouldn't call you on a WASP singles binge). But no, you're just reviewing singles for no reason other than they're easy to review and you want your numbers up, and it's transparently obvious. If you owned those singles (you don't) or if you were known as a massive Thin Lizzy fan (you aren't) then I'd have no problem, but yeah, go suck a dick.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:42 am 

Thank you, guys, this discussion is just what we needed. Useless bitching about something possibly being useless, in a uselessly bitchy tone is what makes the days richer and worth waking up. caspian, what the fuck? I mean, they are Thin Lizzy singles, and every single review Ozzy writes on them is a hundred times more likely to be read by someone than almost anything I've written, with a handful of exceptions like MoP. If Ozzy likes his numbers, what's the problem with that? Those reviews aren't half bad, so I can't figure out what the hell this is all about... Let's not kick each other's sand castles, you obviously get some of the stuff in your own vulva in the process.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 am 

Reviewing fatigue is setting in slightly, after my hyper-productive beginning. And got stuck listening to Coffins albums after reviewing their split with Stormcrow. "Bluerggh!" in the words of Uchino. Shall try and get in the new Procession album before I go out to do less metal-related things this evening.

I like the Asphyx DVD review. Makes me want that item quite a lot.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:55 am 

I don't think the bookkeeping demon really needs the notice this time, but the 27th is now clean and the results on it can be considered final.

My own contributions will not be very considerable today... I'm in a place with no decent equipment to listen to anything, the internet connection is slow, and I've got a hellish flu, my nose looks like a damn faucet. It would probably jam the keyboard if I tried to write much. Maybe tomorrow. At least I got one submitted, to keep the tradition going.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next