Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm 

wakemeup36 wrote:
A little question. I submitted my Wardance review on the 2nd. I just edited it a bit. That shouldn't change the submission date right?

No, edits keep the same date, unless you clear/delete it and then resubmit.

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:10 pm 

Aarrgh... I finally wrote a single review. I didn't have much time last week :ugh:
Hopefully you guys wrote enough reviews to beat the record.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm 

whensunburnsred wrote:
Aarrgh... I finally wrote a single review. I didn't have much time last week :ugh:

Well, speaking for myself, I missed my current record by about 6 reviews, although the amount of singles to other album types that I did this time around was significantly lower (I think I only reviewed 7 singles). From the way things went, I say we missed the mark, but we did pretty well given that we only have limited participation by the other big contributors to this contest.

P.S. - It was nice to see Noktorn rejoin our ranks after his lengthy absence. If on the next one we can get DeathRiderDoom and Perplexed back into the game, we'll beat that record easily.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 pm 

whensunburnsred wrote:

Well, speaking for myself, I missed my current record by about 6 reviews, although the amount of singles to other album types that I did this time around was significantly lower (I think I only reviewed 7 singles). From the way things went, I say we missed the mark, but we did pretty well given that we only have limited participation by the other big contributors to this contest.

P.S. - It was nice to see Noktorn rejoin our ranks after his lengthy absence. If on the next one we can get DeathRiderDoom and Perplexed back into the game, we'll beat that record easily.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 pm 

whensunburnsred wrote:

Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:06 pm 

I really didn't do this with the intent of going for the challenge itself; just been reviewing like mad all of a sudden and making an effort this year to write at least one review every day. I did a lot of virgins mostly out of coincidence; peeling through all the obscure shit I own just to get the number of items I have unreviewed down. Still, I'm hoping to go fucking crazy this year with writing.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 pm 

The challenge dates are finally clean. Sorry on my own and the staff's behalf, we have been lazy asses for two days.

The results will now be official, once sisters_of_merciless updates the wonderful punch cards on his miraculous Babbage Machine.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm 

just a thought fellas: do we want to start doing this every year instead of twice annually? The latest few review challenges seem to be generating a lot less hype. A yearly one would keep it fresh and could generate a remarkable amount of reviews. My proposal: next review challenge jan 2- jan 9, 2012

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm 

droneriot wrote:
We should have the 12th challenge right after this one, starting January 3rd. Just saying, there's gotta be a way to close the gap to autothrall...

caspian wrote:
just a thought fellas: do we want to start doing this every year instead of twice annually? The latest few review challenges seem to be generating a lot less hype. A yearly one would keep it fresh and could generate a remarkable amount of reviews. My proposal: next review challenge jan 2- jan 9, 2012

I am not sure if droneriot was saying that as a joke or not but it seems like there might be two schools of thought on this. The way I see things, the total numbers are more influenced by the participation of a handful of people rather than a broad hype.

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm 

I'm not sure what happened here, but I submitted my Wardance review on the 2nd. I made sure I used the site's clock by logging out. But the date on my review is 3rd. Yes, I edited it a little on that date but I though that wasn't supposed to change the date. Of course, this usually wouldn't matter but as of now, my review is left out of the challenge.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 pm 

I shoveled some extra coal into the machine and the stats are now all updated. Congrats to hells_unicorn for yet another Review Challenge victory! And congrats and thanks to everyone who participated!

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:57 am 

caspian wrote:

What are you basing that on exactly? Apart from this latest one, which was at an awkward time for a number of "big hitters", the last few have been the most productive in its history. The challenge before this one was only 13 reviews away from beating the record.

Besides, the challenge provides the site with a lot of reviews and quality reviews, too. I don't see the harm in having two per year and I doubt having it once a year would have that much impact on the total.

Oh, congrats to hells_unicorn, too. Another victory and a great servant to the challenge. :)

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 am 

AN OPEN LETTER TO HELLS_UNICORN:

I've seen you, hells, and your love of power metal, NWOBHM, and thrash, and it sickens me. It sickens me to the point where I know something must be done- the wheat of your supremacy must be reaped by the divine sickle of Truth. This is why here, today, at the stroke of midnight, I'm calling you out, hells. For the next review challenge, I'm coming after you, and I will dethrone you not only on the challenge, but your site-wide record as well. The time has come for a new champion to reign and for your love of shredding guitars and clean vocals to be ground to naught but dust under the crushing wheels of slam death, raw black, and funeral doom.

DO YOU HEAR ME, HELLS

I'M COMING FOR YOU

MARK MY WORDS, I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
caspian wrote:

What are you basing that on exactly? Apart from this latest one, which was at an awkward time for a number of "big hitters", the last few have been the most productive in its history. The challenge before this one was only 13 reviews away from beating the record.

Besides, the challenge provides the site with a lot of reviews and quality reviews, too. I don't see the harm in having two per year and I doubt having it once a year would have that much impact on the total.

Oh, congrats to hells_unicorn, too. Another victory and a great servant to the challenge. :)

Thanks man. Hopefully the next challenge will see you back here putting us over the top in total cumulative reviews, and hopefully good old Caspian and Ozzy will be back to full force. It'll also be interesting to see who can actually break that illusive triple digits mark on individual score (something tells me you will get it before me as I keep hitting a wall at around 90 reviews, even when I'm reviewing a mixture of EPs and Demos along side full lengths).
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:

I've seen you, hells, and your love of power metal, NWOBHM, and thrash, and it sickens me. It sickens me to the point where I know something must be done- the wheat of your supremacy must be reaped by the divine sickle of Truth. This is why here, today, at the stroke of midnight, I'm calling you out, hells. For the next review challenge, I'm coming after you, and I will dethrone you not only on the challenge, but your site-wide record as well. The time has come for a new champion to reign and for your love of shredding guitars and clean vocals to be ground to naught but dust under the crushing wheels of slam death, raw black, and funeral doom.

DO YOU HEAR ME, HELLS

I'M COMING FOR YOU

My, my. That's quite a threat.

Come February, I intend to begin my Amebix Contest. Assuming both parties are interested, care to settle your dispute there?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 pm 

I swear I could have completed three more reviews to hit 100 during the last contest. I had three more hours and a couple more virgin releases that I heard already. I remember just being dead tired and overwhelmingly lazy. I didn't even have to do anything the next day. Guess I just let being the top dog get to my head last time.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:38 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:

DO YOU HEAR ME, HELLS

I'M COMING FOR YOU

Oh, it's on my good man. I look forward to nauseating you to the point that you'll puke with a sound even more disgusting than the decrepit grindcore vocalizations that you are so addicted to. Mark my words, you're side of the metal spectrum would not exist had the NWOBHM, Judas Priest, the USPM movement, and the thrashers of America and Germany not given you the foundations for your twisted brand of extremity.

But while we're at it Noktorn, I'll up the ante a little. I will make it my personal mission to outdo you at your own game and make sure that at least 60% of the stuff I review at the next challenge will be outside of my comfort zone, ergo there will be plenty of sludge, death/doom, black (even some raw stuff to complement that ambient and symphonic stuff), pagan and crossover bands to complement the offerings from my favorite genres, and better still, they'll either be unsigned or attached to labels that I've never heard of.

Choose your weapons sir, and even if you prevail, I will basque in the fact that I've gotten myself at least a little closer to autothrall's massive numbers.

On guard!!!
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 am 

Well then, I see what needs to be done. Time to stock up on my obscure power, thrash, and trad doom (just because I doubt I'm going to find many physical NWOBHM releases that haven't been reviewed yet).

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:33 am 

This showdown should be interesting to say the least.

I was able to take out a few virgins and beat my own record. But man, my wrist was bothering me before the challenge even began. Now, it's pretty much unmanageable. I think it carried over from weight lifting, which I had to take a break from. Someone was telling me about a program that you speak into a microphone and it types for you. Might look into that if it's inexpensive.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:04 pm 

I'm definitely going to have to hit up some obscure bands I find on MA for this one- my collection of less extreme metal is definitely lacking compared to all my black and death. I'm cool with that, though; been looking to expand my collection in that direction and even things out a bit. I've actually liked a lot of the underground prog I've stumbled upon by randomly looking through the site.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 am 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
I'm definitely going to have to hit up some obscure bands I find on MA for this one- my collection of less extreme metal is definitely lacking compared to all my black and death. I'm cool with that, though; been looking to expand my collection in that direction and even things out a bit. I've actually liked a lot of the underground prog I've stumbled upon by randomly looking through the site.

It seems like I may have given myself an unfair advantage in this regard, given the sheer amount of untapped extreme metal that there is to find, a lot of it pretty cheap too. My connection with The Metal Observer has also afforded me a supply of free promos, which thankfully have always been complete releases rather than fragments.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 am 

Hah, well I could always just jump on a webzine (trying to get on one of the better ones now, actually) to get free promos, but honestly it's not that hard for me to just form letter Myspace pages of bands with my previous work and get plenty of shit quickly. Acquiring it won't be the problem. But yeah, one of the main reasons my collection is so slanted towards extreme metal is because it's so cheap; power/heavy/prog stuff seems priced way higher than death and black.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 am 

I can't believe I missed this one.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4