Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Do you write your own songs or just the riffs for a song? I write a riff once in a while but that's it basically. For now, I rather focus on songs I should learn to play on my audition. I might sign up for a musicschool, but am not too sure about it.

I write a load of riffs, and tend to group them into what I think would make a cool song. I'm working on making some coherent songs at the moment.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 pm 

I mostly spend my time jamming. Occasionally I'll like what I write and make a recording of it, usually just a Guitar part, and a drum-part. At the moment I'm waiting for a new double kick to arrive, so I've been dabbling in Bass and a bit of Piano while I wait for it.

I'm involved with one band, it's not been going on for long, but we've gotten three songs down. I'm not even sure what style of metal it could be considered. It's got a lot of Groove, but heavy black-metal influence.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
The problem I have is more finding context for the riffs I write and finding ways to join them into coherent songs than in actually writing the riffs.

Totally, man. Joining up the riffs is even more difficult than constructing solos, at least for me.

jugchord07 wrote:
I write a bunch of riffs and then I'll jam out for awhile and if I play anything that sounds good with one of the riffs I'd previously written I experiment with some ideas of stuff that would go good with them.
I'm also 17 never recorded anything though due to lack of good equipment.

I'm 17, and am in the same situation as well. I lack recording equipment and competent musicians, so I'll just have to wait till I find some (or get my own house lol) and start recording.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm 

Stop making excuses and get a 4-track:

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 pm 

How much do they normally run?

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:25 pm 

jugchord07 wrote:
How much do they normally run?

They aren't too expensive (considering they're almost certainly all being sold second-hand today), but prices vary from unit t unit.

It's something to consider asking for on your birthday or something, though...

You can also get digital multi-track recorders, but they cost more and they aren't as KVLT.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 pm 

haha yeah. I might start searching around for one, as soon as I find out how to program drums I might just start up a one man project.

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 am 

i'm writing rather depressive song in D minor (it's about birches) where i am trying to merge depressive/psych rock with post-rock and neofolk

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 am 

Sadr_mordvig wrote:
i'm writing rather depressive song in D minor (it's about birches) where i am trying to merge depressive/psych rock with post-rock and neofolk

That sounds really cool actually. Keep at it!

I am probably going to mess around with my bass today rather than finishing up a song I had planned to finish. I really need to work on at least being competent with slap and pop because the dynamic variety those techniques provide is really appealing, more so than technique itself.

jugchord07, a solo project is definitely an underrated approach because of all the bad ones, but there are bad bands out there too. The benefit is you do not have to compromise or get along with anyone else and if you show up late to practice it is only yourself that you disappoint.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
That sounds really cool actually. Keep at it!

thanks, actually, it's for project with friends, but i have hard time coming up with the post rock stuff :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 pm 

I second the solo project business because I have a multitude of them. i'm also counting the ones where I'm writing and performing all the music and someone else is just doing vocals. cause really it's a solo work as well because those people are just presented with my end product for them to finish off.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:11 pm 

Finally started constructing my first coherent song in power tab, and it's sounding fairly good - sort of like a NWOBHM version of Helstar's Winds of War, though that's not at all what I intended to make when I started. My main problem is finding ways to harmonize or otherwise just fill out the riffs with two guitars without it sounding forced or powerless. There's seemingly some visceral quality of a single guitar riff that is lost when you harmonize it in thirds.

LordDiscord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 am 

I'm learning a concerto in A minor by Vivaldi on violin, and it is probably the funnest thing I have ever played. I've also been working on a doom song, but its been going fairly slowly. I've got most of the riffs figured out, I just need to stick them together in a coherent way and write some lyrics. Other than that I've just been messing around, playing my violin along with Opeth and stuff like that.

I have seen Iron Maiden in concert. I can now die happy.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 am 

writing a song.... of course. before i actually write it, i'm gonna need to buy a laptop pretty soon to get the riffs at least dummy tracked. but I'm writing something based off the ideal riff (which is the riff that people come up with that makes them say "holy shit, this should be in a song") and instead of just mindlessly meshing riffs together, i'm trying to write riffs that are actually based around the first one without following the typical verse chorus verse chorus pattern.

also, chasing an ibanez rg 6 string with floyd rose that i might exchange the pickups in. supposedly it works, but he's selling it for 75 bucks which is good, but kinda like "hmm, i wonder whats wrong with it."

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 am 

I have an art music experiment going on. It has got quite a lot jazz and blues harmonies mixed in it. It's all composed and leaning on my visions, so don't expect improvised wankery in it. There's no fundamental structure. I'm just drawing lines between the parts that are lines themselves. All artistic logic and inconsistency is artificial. I'm particularly interested in associations that you get from listening to music. When you say "This would sound better with a glass of good wine", what is exactly going on in your head?

Immortalhero
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:08 pm 

Working on a video game metal remix right now. Unfortunately the input jack in my guitar is all fucked up so I have to get that fixed. I also need to change my strings (waiting until I fix the input) and I'm going to download amplitube metal so I don't have to mic up my amp (living at an apartment now)

I have the drums and bass already laid out and mixed though so it's not all hopeless. =D

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:52 am 

Over the course of the last month, I've written lyrics for 3 songs and my band have recorded those 3 songs plus a cover for a new promo. Only a few solo's left to record then mixing begins. We're doing it all ourselves, after work or whenever we have time. We've also been continuing writing for our 3rd album. It'll have 6-7 songs (50-55 minutes), so we're about half way there. We started writing a new song on Saturday which has a ridiculous section of alternating 7/8s and 13/8s, which isn't too pleasing on my untrained ear, but works as an awesome counterpoint to the very melodic section that goes into it.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:54 am 

Just learned the big, climactic harmony to The Conqueror Worm by Fool's Game. Really easy, but still fun as hell to play - sometimes it's the slow, anthemic bits rather than the technical parts that are the most rewarding.

Bonged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 am 

Just wrote another song with my friend. It's not metal, more rock/punk but it was fun doing it even if I was sick. He is going to let me borrow his 4 track recorder soon so I can make songs. I just need to get my bass fixed and find some drums to use.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 pm 

Mostly just working things with my band. We have more than an album's worth of songs written, but we're spending our time fine-tuning our techniques and getting a few other things figured out. Hoping to play a few shows and/or get some recording done before I graduate from college this May.

Metalucifer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 am 

Have been project since 2007, band Duria Sadyr. Band has had problems and adventure cus of netjerks but i dont quit! Band had liveshow in 2009 and near to get contract. Got in Radio Mega too. Much do drumming and singingg and singing and guitar same time, but cant do guitar and drums same time of course, heh. I do my own way, and its going better all time! Genre is own also: BLOOD METAL

You can listen songs in mikseri:
http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=107944
Live in Vitunhomo 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJPSjkDP2I
The best song now:
http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=460318&type=dl

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 am 

Metalucifer666 wrote:
Have been project since 2007, band Duria Sadyr. Band has had problems and adventure cus of netjerks but i dont quit! Band had liveshow in 2009 and near to get contract. Got in Radio Mega too. Much do drumming and singingg and singing and guitar same time, but cant do guitar and drums same time of course, heh. I do my own way, and its going better all time! Genre is own also: BLOOD METAL

Live in Vitunhomo 2009:
The best song now:

is it just me, or did i really not understand a lot of what you said?

Menschenfeindlic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 pm 

Arkhane wrote:

I understood most of what did he said,maybe because English isn't my native language too :P .
except for the netjerks thingy...and for sure "BLOOD METAL " :scratch:

Last.fm

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

I've got three main projects I work on.

We finished up the new release with Sledgehammer Autopsy recently. We're looking for a new label to release it. It's got 6 tracks, featuring real drums this time around. We play 80's inspired gritty death metal. www.myspace.com/sadeathmetal

My new band is called Death Inquisition. We play thrash influenced by Hellhammer, Sodom, Bathory, Nifelheim, Destruction, etc. Currently we're a 4 piece here in Tulsa. We're preparing to do some serious recording and play gigs. As of currently, I need to learn Blasphemer by Sodom on the bass.

Lastly, I have a project called Autumn Reflections. We play a weird mix of doom, death metal, and black metal. We've got a long delayed split with Decaying Citadel that needs to be released. Looking for a label for that one. I work with the artist behind Tomhet (Can) for this project. We're going to start recording an ep soon. www.myspace.com/autumnreflections

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 pm 

Arkhane wrote:

take it as an interesting vision of how would english look after merging with finnish ;)

- basically, he has one man project, which had some problems caused by kids on the net. Nevertheless, he still continues with it. In 2k9, he had gig (YT link in the post - well, i've seen better). The band also made it onto waves...

He made up his own genre - blood metal... (well, black metal in finland wasn't called black metal too... :-D)

Bonged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:33 pm 

Metalucifer666 wrote:

No, fucking stop playing music right now. I don't know if this is a fucking joke but stop no one is fucking laughing at all except you.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:52 pm 

That's just like wow.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm 

Metalucifer666's stuff sounds like Beherit's "H418ov21.C" but worse, so I also do not know if its a joke.

bucfan5252
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 am 

Right now I'm working on my first Psytrance EP. Even if this project doesn't go anywhere I will at least have learned synthesis inside out as this stuff has really stretched my imagination as to what my synth is capable of. I have a rough version of the first track posted here, http://soundcloud.com/monaghan/vermus-eternus

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am 

Heh, a formal introduction. :D

Hello fellas, I am 16, and working on memorizing the harmonic minor scales, the minor & 7th chords, and a little bit of blues scales. Of course I am learning by THEORY, so memorizing scales is all that's left (FOR NOW).

I am on the verge of creating my first solo! :D

As for covers, I am learning
-"Am I Evil?" Only the solo is left.
-Tabbing out Sarcofago's "Piercings"
-Tabbing out Artillery's "Bombfood"

But right now, school is getting in the way. :mad:

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:16 am 

Finally finished writing the riffs for my long (>10 minutes ;)) thrash song. All 29 of them. Huzzah. Now for the solos, basslines, and my weakest area, drum programming. How I wish I could just find a competent drummer who could write his own beats...

Metalucifer666 wrote:

Live in Vitunhomo 2009:
The best song now:

You will never beat Damien Storm. Stop trying.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:24 pm 

Wrapping up mixing and mastering for a new deathcore EP I'm doing on Wednesday, then on Saturday recording vocals for a local brutal death band I just joined.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Pouring
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 am 

I have quite a few projects that I was working on....Auaesuve, The Aeonic Order of Vacuity, Depthen, and a lot more I could name...all mostly Doom Metal and ambient projects that no one here has probably heard of hah. Right now I'm putting my main project (Auaesuve) aside for this new album I'm making with a new band.

The music I'm working on right now is Funeral Doom metal and if I had to compare it to another band it would be Skepticism probably, but it sounds pretty different (definitely more mature and grounded) to anything else I've made since 2004 or whatever year it was that I started all of this. I completed the first song and recorded all of the instruments already, I just need to get the vocals down.

I've already done half of the next song as well...it's easy when you have the whole thing already planned out. I'm hoping for a much richer "spiritual" experience with this music and so far I'm getting it, not focusing on depression and sadness and emptiness and etc etc for once and making music representative of my own growth and, surprisingly, positive change.

I don't even want to call this doom metal really, but anyway I think I'm doing a good job with it so far. I'm also helping a friend with her own project, she's more into DSBM and such (a style I admittedly never liked too much) but it's always fun going into different things and finding out things you would otherwise never know about unless you tried for yourself.

I recorded pretty much all of the instruments that she need for the first song, guitar drumming, and synth. When she comes up with lyrics I'll get to the vocals as well...

I've been working on some Jesu-like stuff as well, but it's nothing I've gotten to far in at this point...at least, I've been listening to a lot of Jesu which no doubt has corrupted some of the riffs I've come up with recently hah.

I've also finished some scattered black metal songs that I've no real plan on releasing or anything, but it keeps me busy.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:24 pm 

Pouring wrote:
I have quite a few projects that I was working on....Auaesuve [...] all mostly Doom Metal and ambient projects that no one here has probably heard of hah.

I've come across that name a few times. Never heard anything, though. I think some funeral doom/ambient maniac friends of mine have in their collection, at least in MP3.

I myself am up to quite a lot, currently. Almost too much. Mostly black metal projects, but also working on dark ambient (not the abstract soundscape kind) with a lot of strings and pianos. I'm basically rehearsing now with two BM bands for upcoming live shows, and I'm writing music and lyrics for one of those as well. Just received back the final masters for another BM project, so we're gonna try and get that released. Just finished writing all basslines for yet another BM project, still have to look into the lyrics though. That'll be tough, considering the concept. For that dark ambient project, we received an offer from a label to release our debut properly, so I'm busy getting that done as well.

We're deliberately not in a rush with anything: most of these projects have been active for quite some time, but the efforts should pay off ultimately.

Pouring
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
Pouring wrote:
I have quite a few projects that I was working on....Auaesuve [...] all mostly Doom Metal and ambient projects that no one here has probably heard of hah.

I've come across that name a few times. Never heard anything, though. I think some funeral doom/ambient maniac friends of mine have in their collection, at least in MP3.

Auaesuve would be the most known project that I have, I'm pretty much done with that now, taking a step above instead of staying in place and all of that jazz.

Good luck with your band by the way, I've been having trouble with lyrics as well.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:26 am 

Pouring wrote:
Auaesuve would be the most known project that I have, I'm pretty much done with that now, taking a step above instead of staying in place and all of that jazz.

So what are your plans then?

Pouring wrote:
Good luck with your band by the way, I've been having trouble with lyrics as well.

Thanks. I did it to myself, though: I tend to work with coherent yet rather complicated concepts, so it usually requires researching a lot at first and then turning the acquired knowledge into lyrics that can be appreciated in virtue of being lyrics as well, isn't always easy.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am 

Just finished transcribing Hustler by the almighty Virus. Now to study how they use dissonance and try to apply it into some of my own music! This should be interesting.

kahuka
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:34 pm 

kahuka wrote:
I've just started up a band/project with a friend and I'm trying to write some songs to hopefully record a demo sometime soon. It's thrash, basically. Atleast so far.

Update:

I've spoken to one more dude about this and he's in so we're 3 people now, and the day after tomorrow they're gonna come over to my place and we're gonna play some shit for fun and hopefully write some stuff!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm 

i think I'm going to the shed tmwr and demo out some tracks for a vital remains/early aborted hybrid thing.

Pouring
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 am 

Duisterling wrote:
Pouring wrote:

So what are your plans then?

Auaesuve on hiatus or I'm going to rename/disband it (can you disband a solo project? heh), and continue growing with my music with what I'm working on right now, and working on working with others as well as I can be difficult in a band setting, but I think I have the right group of friends right now.

Duisterling wrote:
Thanks. I did it to myself, though: I tend to work with coherent yet rather complicated concepts, so it usually requires researching a lot at first and then turning the acquired knowledge into lyrics that can be appreciated in virtue of being lyrics as well, isn't always easy.

Ah I see what you mean. These things do pay off in the end, I hope it won't be so frustrating that it makes you feel uninspired though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 185  Next