Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 pm 

a few things i quickly noticed:

- the band/album names on the band, album & review pages would look much better if the font was serifed, like the review titles

- in the reviews -tab of the album page, the title of the review (and perhaps the percentage too) should link to the review; the magnifying glass is extraneous

- in the "bands by letter" listing, bands that begin with a special character, such as !t.o.o.h.! aren't listed at all, since there are only alphanumeric lists

- because of the "searching, please wait" - redirection page, going back in your browsers history to reach a previous page can be irritating

darkest_depth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:12 pm 

The first mistake I've seen with that fucking new bandmember section, Aeshma of Asphagor is definitely not the one from Katharsis.

I think those mistakes will mass, till no one anymore knows which guy is in which band.
What I also want to point out is the thing with the "non-metal" bands, for example Ozzy Osbourne or Lemmy Killmister, I have to click on the trivia section, just to see in which bands they've been, or still are and that sucks. I want to get a small "impression" from the artists and not just the bands which are heavy enough to be in the archives and I really don't want to click around for that.
For example Thomas 'Tompa' Lindberg: I enjoy Disfear or even Skitsystem and i found them just by google the band names when I saw them in the archives. And I think those names get lost, because no one wants to write in the Trivia section, and of course no one will look after them and will clean up the mess which'll be created by some users.

Over all, I don't like that I've to click around that much, I'm more the fan of scrolling down.
And I don't like that there are so many links and around the band page, I mean if i want to get information about very small bands, with just 2 releases or something, half of the screen is filled with all that shit that is written around the information. The important things which I want to look up are even written smaller than the links around.

But the colour schematic of the site is much better than the previous, it doesn't look that cheap anymore.

E: The mistake with Aeshma has been corrected.

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm 

For lack of a better thread, I'll ask this here. I added Orson Welles to the guest members page on Manowar's first album, where he did narration. It was deleted. Why is this? Isn't he appropriate for the guest members section? What doesn't make him qualify? Who exactly can and cannot be added to this section?

Yohalmo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm 

Yeah! i like very much this second version, dark and beautiful design, Hails!!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:20 pm 

while i can log in to the forum ok (now that i've resset my password, that "couldn't be transferred to the new site" or somethingrather, i can't seem to log in to the main site?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:53 pm 

dust666 wrote:
For lack of a better thread, I'll ask this here. I added Orson Welles to the guest members page on Manowar's first album, where he did narration. It was deleted. Why is this? Isn't he appropriate for the guest members section? What doesn't make him qualify? Who exactly can and cannot be added to this section?

If Manowar hired him to do the narration, then he can be added as guest narrator for the album. If they used a recording of him, it doesn't count. But Orson Welles died in the 80's so it's possible Manowar did hire him, heh.
Christopher Lee was added as guest narrator for the Rhapsody albums he appeared on: http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/albums/ ... abs_lineup

joppek wrote:
- in the "bands by letter" listing, bands that begin with a special character, such as !t.o.o.h.! aren't listed at all, since there are only alphanumeric lists

Those bands can go to hell. :lol:

necrobutcher08 wrote:
I see..that will take lots of time..:(

Don't be sad! There are already thousands of artists added in only a few days and the site isn't even hosted on the domain yet. Lineups will be filled out very fast. And if it takes time, so be it, this already-large database wasn't built in a day. :)

tbald_owns_all wrote:
the "more" button for the new bands list is broken.

It works for me.

People, if you don't tell me on which page this happened and which browser you are using, this sort of bug reporting is useless to us. If you want us to fix the bugs, try to give a bit more details, ok?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
dust666 wrote:

If Manowar hired him to do the narration, then he can be added as guest narrator for the album. If they used a recording of him, it doesn't count. But Orson Welles died in the 80's so it's possible Manowar did hire him, heh.
Christopher Lee was added as guest narrator for the Rhapsody albums he appeared on: http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/albums/ ... abs_lineup

From what I can tell, yes Manowar did hire him. It was 3 years before his death. I guess he qualifies.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 pm 

Now it's possible to add missing tracks to albums, cool. But I don't see why it's not possible to delete wrongly added tracks like bonus tracks added to the track-list for example. Also with all those new features added to V2 like the possibility of adding each album's line-up and so on why there is no feature for bonus tracks? Instead they should be added to the additional notes. Another point, I still can't figure out why users can't modify the album's title and they have to report such minor modifications I don't suppose this is a big deal and I can't see how this could be harmful in any way.
Also something funny I edited the line-up of a band, added the members (around 8), added some nicknames, uploaded some member's pictures and in the end i got around 30 points (I am sure the user who will update Satyricon's line-up for example won't get less then 100 points just for doing that)! I suppose this is TOO much for only updating a band's line-up. This way users can get 1000 points in really minimal time without even contributing anything to the site (adding bands/reviews).
Also something that I noticed, on April 09 I added 13 band and at least 15 album and 30 link were added to the submissions in the end I got around 40 point I dunno if there is a bug with the point system regarding the newly approved bands.
I currently have a band in the queue and one of the members got auto-linked to another page apparently he is the same guy but in other cases what if two guys have the same name? And worst the same nickname?

Last edited by GraveWish on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:54 pm 

dust666 wrote:
From what I can tell, yes Manowar did hire him. It was 3 years before his death. I guess he qualifies.

I'm sorry. I deleted him I found absurd that Manowar would hire the 82 years old Orson Welles to narrate their album, but if that indeed happened, it's ok to add him. Please write that info in his profile.

Quote:
I think those mistakes will mass, till no one anymore knows which guy is in which band.
What I also want to point out is the thing with the "non-metal" bands, for example Ozzy Osbourne or Lemmy Killmister, I have to click on the trivia section, just to see in which bands they've been, or still are and that sucks. I want to get a small "impression" from the artists and not just the bands which are heavy enough to be in the archives and I really don't want to click around for that.

No mistake will mass, because the Legacy line-up won't go away anytime soon. It's easy to correct things. As for the non-metal bands, we'll devise a better solution than adding them to the trivia notes, though we have more important matters for the moment.

Quote:
I see..that will take lots of time..:(

Not THAT much. A lot of people are updating the site at the moment.

Quote:
Also, I think I found a bug, or maybe it's intended to work that way. Anyway, I realized past band members who still contributed to the band after they left (and the year is written) have their contribution listed in their past bands tab, rather than in the misc or guest one.

Examples?

Quote:
Also, what about artists who contributed the artwork for splits? You can't list him to both bands or none.

Just add him to his regular band and write "Artwork".

Quote:
I noticed as far as the current lineup goes, you can't list the members in the order you want and they seems to be ordered by the years of being active. It's okay with a band where every member has the year they got into the band, so they are listed in order of time, but those which you don't know it are listed first. So when a band in particular has only the main member which you know the year he got in, he is listed last which feels kinda weird, particularly when all other members are new ones.

Good point. Reported.

Quote:
Now I have a little complain that could easily may be corrected. On each label's page there is a year scroll to choose its foundation date. Well, there are actually labels in the database that were formed before 1911 (which is the earliest year it is offered). I think Columbia Records is the oldest of them all, founded in 1888.

Reported.

Quote:
at least some way to get a notice when a report that you made (or replied in) has been replied to or resolved?

That's in the work.

Quote:
http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/albums/ ... omo/147539 - there's a bug with this split: when I try to add End Of Green (which is on the Archives) from the pop-up window, the pop-up window doesn't close and although the band now appears under the "Bands on this split" section, it doesn't appear in the pop-up menus to the left of the track titles.

Reported.

Quote:
Thanks. By the way, on the same page the instruments of his album appearances are apparently shown in a random order:

Reported.

Quote:
Peter Wildoer's session performances look weird too. Dunno if it's browser dependant, but at least on Chromium it looks like this (screenshot).

Reported.

Quote:
Also with all those new features added to V2 like the possibility of adding each album's line-up and so on why there is no feature for bonus tracks?

In the future we'll have something specific for bonus tracks.

Quote:
This way users can get 1000 points in really minimal time without even contributing anything to the site (adding bands/reviews).

Yes, we've noticed it. That'll be fixed.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 pm 

When fixing labels, is it possible to add more than one? That seems to be the problem with most of the bands.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:10 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
Also, I think I found a bug, or maybe it's intended to work that way. Anyway, I realized past band members who still contributed to the band after they left (and the year is written) have their contribution listed in their past bands tab, rather than in the misc or guest one.

Examples?

The links don't seem to be coloured, but the two names are links.
Elizaveat. If you go in past bands, under Sabbat (which he's been from 1984 to 1991), there are several releases listed when he wasn't in the band and contributed artwork or guest guitar. There's Evoke (1992 - guest guitar, cover art), Disembody (1993 - guest guitar, cover art), Fetishism (1994 - cover art), Satanasword (2000 - cover art), Black up your Soul (1994 - guest guitars) and For Satan and Sacrifice (1995 - guest guitars, cover art). Also, listed under guests on that last release for vocals is Ozny, who was in the band only from 1984 to 1986 and has the release under past bands.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:16 pm 

Quote:
When fixing labels, is it possible to add more than one? That seems to be the problem with most of the bands.

Not at the moment. In the future.

Quote:
Elizaveat. If you go in past bands, under Sabbat (which he's been from 1984 to 1991), there are several releases listed when he wasn't in the band and contributed artwork or guest guitar. There's Evoke (1992 - guest guitar, cover art), Disembody (1993 - guest guitar, cover art), Fetishism (1994 - cover art), Satanasword (2000 - cover art), Black up your Soul (1994 - guest guitars) and For Satan and Sacrifice (1995 - guest guitars, cover art). Also, listed under guests on that last release for vocals is Ozny, who was in the band only from 1984 to 1986 and has the release under past bands. But thinking of this, if it's something to be fixed, there's compilation albums of material a member was in the band when recorded but not when the compilation was release, and I guess those should be listed under past bands (?).

Ok, reported.

Quote:
I currently have a band in the queue and one of the members got auto-linked to another page apparently he is the same guy but in other cases what if two guys have the same name? And worst the same nickname?

You can always create a new artist profile.

Quote:
Also something that I noticed, on April 09 I added 13 band and at least 15 album and 30 link were added to the submissions in the end I got around 40 point I dunno if there is a bug with the point system regarding the newly approved bands.

I've just tested and the point system for newly approved bands is working just fine.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:33 pm 

I think I just found another bug. http://img812.imageshack.us/f/mabug.jpg/ A release was improperly entered as a live album and I wanted to change it to a split one, when adding another band which is on MA, by clicking on the check button, it adds it as another band not on MA.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 pm 

I can create a new artist profile if I was aware of this auto-link but since the site do the auto-link automatically I don't suppose that users will pay attention to that.

If X was a member of the last known line-up of a currently split-up band (noted A), X is currently an active member of another band (noted B), and X was a member in a currently active band (noted C). If we are checking band's B page we will have under X's nickname the following notation: See also ex-A, ex-C although X was a member in the last known line-up of the band A so I suppose there is a difference between both cases and this should be fixed.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:49 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I think I just found another bug. http://img812.imageshack.us/f/mabug.jpg/ A release was improperly entered as a live album and I wanted to change it to a split one, when adding another band which is on MA, by clicking on the check button, it adds it as another band not on MA.

Reported.

Quote:
I can create a new artist profile if I was aware of this auto-link but since the site do the auto-link automatically I don't suppose that users will pay attention to that.

I'm not following you. Could you give me a concrete example?

Quote:
If X was a member of the last known line-up of a currently split-up band (noted A), X is currently an active member of another band (noted B), and X was a member in a currently active band (noted C). If we are checking band's B page we will have under X's nickname the following notation: See also ex-A, ex-C although X was a member in the last known line-up of the band A so I suppose there is a difference between both cases and this should be fixed.

That's by default. All artists linked to split-up bands will have the ex- tag.

Rivers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

darkest_depth wrote:
For example Thomas 'Tompa' Lindberg: I enjoy Disfear or even Skitsystem and i found them just by google the band names when I saw them in the archives. And I think those names get lost, because no one wants to write in the Trivia section, and of course no one will look after them and will clean up the mess which'll be created by some users.

That is what I was saying on the first part of this post: it's a kind of lost of information.

Now we can not see, for example, that Mick Harris played on the non-metal bands Anorexia, Pain Killer), Motherfuckers From Mars, Doom (Gbr), Scorn (Gbr), Drop Dead (Gbr), Martian Brain Squeeze, Clang, Fret, Lull, Monrella, Quoit, The Weakener, Certain Beyond All Reasonable Doubt, Equations Of Eternity, Flux (USA), Hygiene, Matera, Praxis (USA), Trace Decay....

Seriously, is there any way to include this non-metal bands on the Members section? I think it would be a definitive improvement on this version on the Encyclopaedia.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:56 pm 

If I add a new band with a member named "Tom" the site will auto-link "Tom" to other pages already existing including a member named "Tom".

I know this is by default but also all artists linked to past members will have the ex- tag and I suppose there is a difference between both cases.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm 

FIXED BUGS

Quote:
Alias Bug

Also, Galder was initially added as "Galder (Thomas Rune Andersen Orre)" or something. The display name was apparently changed, but looks like I can't change his name in Dimmu Borgir, which is still "Galder (Thomas Rune Andersen Orre)". If I change it, the form is sent normally and it shows a message about succesful changes, but when it reloads, it's back to previous text. http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/artists/Galder/9289

Fixed.

Quote:
Split bug

http://209.59.186.200/~metalarc/albums/ ... omo/147539 - there's a bug with this split: when I try to add End Of Green (which is on the Archives) from the pop-up window, the pop-up window doesn't close and although the band now appears under the "Bands on this split" section, it doesn't appear in the pop-up menus to the left of the track titles.

Fixed.

Quote:
Point exploit

I've found a bug that leads to double points. If I add the line up for an album, I get one point for each artist I add. However, if I decide to leave the page and click "Save this tab" I get points for all artists on that page, even if I got points for them earlier or if they were there before I entered the tab.

Fixed. From now on when editing a lineup, if you ADD an artist, you get a point, so if you add 3 artists you get 3 points. I'm OK with that. If you save the tab at any time, and a change is detected, you get an extra point (again, I'm OK with that), but if no change is detected you don't get any additional points.

So basically, if you add 3 artists, and then add one additional role for the first artist and click Save this tab, you'd get 4 points in total. Since only Veterans can save tabs, that's fine with me.

Quote:
Ebay links

If browsing an album by a band, and pressing the search on ebay, it only shows searchresults for the album name. For instance, Anathema - Judgement. Only shows ebay results for Judgement, and not Anathema - Judgement."

Fixed.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 pm 

Rivers wrote:
Seriously, is there any way to include this non-metal bands on the Members section? I think it would be a definitive improvement on this version on the Encyclopaedia.

SERIOUSLY STOP SHOUTING AND READ THE FUCKING THREAD!

Quote:
If I add a new band with a member named "Tom" the site will auto-link "Tom" to other pages already existing including a member named "Tom".

Err, no. You can choose which "Tom" you want. If your guy isn't in the list, you can create a new "Tom".

Quote:
I know this is by default but also all artists linked to past members will have the ex- tag and I suppose there is a difference between both cases.

Well, there might be a difference, but I don't have any problem with the ex- tags for both cases. When we had tags in v1, it worked like that as well.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm 

I see now what happened when I added the band to the queue I created a page for the member another user modified the line-up of an already approved band and he linked the member to that page strange no since my band is not approved yet what if it got rejected I suppose all the pages created for the members will got auto-removed with the rejection or not?

apokalyptika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:26 pm 

I don't know if this counts as a bug, at least not a serious one, but I figured I'd ask....

I've been updating a few bands' releases with the line-up for each release (a feature which I absolutely love about V.2) and everything worked fine. I then was curious and checked my modification history on my profile. It says that I've modified some things about those albums (like lyrics and song lengths) when I did no such thing. I just want to check if this is a bug and, if not, why this happened. Also don't want to get in some sort of trouble for making changes which aren't actually changes (for example, where it says I've changed lyrics, there is not actual change) which I didn't even make.

Hope that makes sense.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:28 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
I see now what happened when I added the band to the queue I created a page for the member another user modified the line-up of an already approved band and he linked the member to that page strange no since my band is not approved yet what if it got rejected I suppose all the pages created for the members will got auto-removed with the rejection or not?

No artists are automatically deleted.

Quote:
I've been updating a few bands' releases with the line-up for each release (a feature which I absolutely love about V.2) and everything worked fine. I then was curious and checked my modification history on my profile. It says that I've modified some things about those albums (like lyrics and song lengths) when I did no such thing. I just want to check if this is a bug and, if not, why this happened. Also don't want to get in some sort of trouble for making changes which aren't actually changes (for example, where it says I've changed lyrics, there is not actual change) which I didn't even make.

Could you post a few timestamps of the wrong logs?

Iced_Demon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm 

Everything is too dim and hurts my eyes. If possible, please add an option to change the text colors.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:55 pm 

nex666 wrote:
Hey, I don't know if this has already been bought up, but I think there's a tiny issue, hopefully easy to fix:

The "ZOOM" Icon.

It seems that you should be able to just click on the actual title to view anything, not have to click on a tiny little zoom icon, it doesn't really make sense and I never click it first time.

EG:

This actually doesn't bore me and I think it's better this way. Cool that you caught one of my reviews there. ;) A thing that could be done would be relating to the titles of the reviews. Sometimes the name of the review isn't fully visible in that window, it would be cool if the window could be stretched to the actual size of the "review name" field, since it's a fixed number (at least it was). A bit of a nitpicking but when one uses the "back" option of the browser it goes back to the tab with the tracklist instead of the actual tab I was browsing, for instance while reading an individual review and going back it should show the reviews tab instead of the album tracklist.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:34 pm 

Compliment: From the Reports queue, I can neatly check and read any report really easily, which I find very nice and user-friendly (I actually love the new interface, including the magnifying glass button and the tabs system). :)

Question: However, when I have a report open, I actually have access to the "Change status:" drop-down menu, including the "Assigned to me" option. Since I'm neither a mod nor a veteran user, is that normal? I suppose it may be that it simply appears for everyone, but if I actually tried to assign a report to myself and clicked on "Submit", I'd get an error message; that'll be consistent with the message atop the queue: "If you have the access, go ahead and fix them." But since I'm not willing to risk ruining someone's report to check, I thought I'd ask just in case it's a bug.

Another question: I don't recall reading about this so far, but what is exactly to be understood by an "Artist" page? Is it simply intended as a nicer term for "Musician", or would it be potentially okay to give creative contributors in the broader sense individual pages? Should the information "album produced by X" be entered as plain text in the additional notes as before, or would "Production" be a valid role (for the "Miscellaneous staff" tab, of course)? I'm also wondering about recording, (re)mix, (re)master, or artwork. For instance, I noticed an Artist page was created for producer Tommy Hansen, but it seemingly was done solely due to his contributions as a guest musician. Since he already had a page, I added him as "Remix Engineer" for this Helloween record, but now I'm having doubts whether I should have done so or not...

Edit: also, I should probably have phrased it as just "Remix", to be consistent with "Guitars" etc. rather than "Guitarist".

apokalyptika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

Could you post a few timestamps of the wrong logs?

In both of these, you see that I modified the album line-up, but it also shows that I modified album track data (which if clicked on is either lyrics or song lengths). You'll see that in both cases, I also did modify the album data (generally to delete the line-up info that people had added in additional info and was no longer needed). I never, however, even looked at the track-listings so I have no clue how I could have modified anything.

--

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
I just noticed while browsing the site that the site can be searched the old way again.

Huh? :scratch:

Errr, well, scratch that...

I posted this in haste this morning when I found that searching "Abstract" returned all bands that had the word "Abstract" in their name,

But in V1, it would also return bands that had "Abstract" in their name even if it was concatenated within another word.

Compare V2 results:

Version 2 search: Abstract wrote:
Abstract Technical Thrash Metal Brazil
Abstract Heavy / Thrash Metal Brazil
Abstract Electronic Progressive Death/Thrash Metal Italy
Abstract Atmospheric Dark Metal Slovakia
Abstract Agony Melodic Doom/Death Metal France
Abstract Butchery Death Metal Hungary
Abstract Dementia Death Metal France
Abstract Essence Black/Doom/Progressive Metal Czech Republic
Abstract Minds Death Metal United States
Abstract Rapture Thrash/Death Metal Luxembourg
Abstract Satan Black Metal Russia
Abstract Shadows Progressive Heavy Metal Brazil
Abstract Spirit Funeral Doom Metal Russia
Abstract Symphony Power Metal Chile
Abstract Cell Theory Progressive Metal France
Comatose Vigil (a.k.a. Subhuman Abstract, Comatoze Vigil, CV) Funeral Doom Metal Russia

with V1 results

Version 1 search for Abstract wrote:
1. Abstract (Bra)
2. Abstract (Bra)
3. Abstract (Ita)
4. Abstract (Svk)
5. Abstract Agony
6. Abstract Butchery
7. Abstract Cell Theory
8. Abstract Dementia
9. Abstract Essence
10. Abstract Minds
11. Abstract Rapture
12. Abstract Satan
13. Abstract Shadows
14. Abstract Spirit
15. Abstract Symphony
16. Abstracta
17. Abstraction
18. Abstracto
19. Comatose Vigil Alternate name/spelling(s): Subhuman Abstract, Comatoze Vigil, CV
20. Zoom Abstraction

[/quote]

Sure, it is possible to get the same results in V2 as V1 by putting a * both in front and behind the word (i.e. "*Abstract*", although a better example is "*Death*" returns different results from "*Death", "Death*" and "Death")

Also, even though there is a notice about using wildcards, there is bound to be a few confused people that search a band, see no results come up, then complain that the band isn't in the archives even though they are.

In short, I dislike the wildcard. Why is it necessary?

Now I suppose I can get used to it, but I like having to just type something and search for it, instead of having to remember to hold Shift and press 8. It's a mild annoyance but searching is the most common function on MA. I also dislike its new location, being in the top-right when it used to be on the left-side, but Wikipedia beat you guys to that sort of change, lots of people complained, but that made no difference, so I'm somewhat used to it.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:02 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
Question: However, when I have a report open, I actually have access to the "Change status:" drop-down menu, including the "Assigned to me" option. Since I'm neither a mod nor a veteran user, is that normal? I suppose it may be that it simply appears for everyone, but if I actually tried to assign a report to myself and clicked on "Submit", I'd get an error message; that'll be consistent with the message atop the queue: "If you have the access, go ahead and fix them." But since I'm not willing to risk ruining someone's report to check, I thought I'd ask just in case it's a bug.

People should assign a report to themselves if it's a long report, so that other users know that someone is taking care of it. Since such reports usually involves editing data, and non-veterans cannot edit anything, there isn't much of a point for non-veterans to assign a report for themselves. In fact, if you're not a veteran, I don't think that you should waste your time with the reports, since you won't be able to deal with the vast majority of them.

Quote:
Another question: I don't recall reading about this so far, but what is exactly to be understood by an "Artist" page? Is it simply intended as a nicer term for "Musician", or would it be potentially okay to give creative contributors in the broader sense individual pages? Should the information "album produced by X" be entered as plain text in the additional notes as before, or would "Production" be a valid role (for the "Miscellaneous staff" tab, of course)? I'm also wondering about recording, (re)mix, (re)master, or artwork. For instance, I noticed an Artist page was created for producer Tommy Hansen, but it seemingly was done solely due to his contributions as a guest musician. Since he already had a page, I added him as "Remix Engineer" for this Helloween record, but now I'm having doubts whether I should have done so or not...

Edit: also, I should probably have phrased it as just "Remix", to be consistent with "Guitars" etc. rather than "Guitarist".

An "artist" can be anyone who had something to do with the album.

Please use the word "engineer".

Quote:
In both of these, you see that I modified the album line-up, but it also shows that I modified album track data (which if clicked on is either lyrics or song lengths). You'll see that in both cases, I also did modify the album data (generally to delete the line-up info that people had added in additional info and was no longer needed). I never, however, even looked at the track-listings so I have no clue how I could have modified anything.

Ok, got it. Reported.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

Ok, got it. Reported.

Stab in the dark: Line endings in the lyrics normalized now?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:11 pm 

Evenfiel is correct. The only way a non-Veteran could be helpful with the reports is to check those submitted by anonymous Visitors; it's possible that some of those include data to append, rather than edit, but even then it's not a guarantee. So, as a non-Veteran, feel free to look at them, but there's probably not much you can do about it. :)

As for apokalyptica's logs, it seems it's the song length going from 00:00 to null, it detected that as a change. I'll fix it at some point but not a big deal, don't worry if you see this in your log.

Goatfangs wrote:
Sure, it is possible to get the same results in V2 as V1 by putting a * both in front and behind the word

Exactly. And that's there to stay. Please, I don't want to see any further complaints about wildcards. They are here to stay whether you like it or not. Wildcards are an industry standard, and if people are too dumb to use them despite messages encouraging them to do so if they find nothing, a help page explaining them, etc., then I really couldn't care less if they are "confused".

Quote:

Because when I, personally, type "blood", I want to find results with the word "blood" (currently 372 results) and EXCLUDE "bloody", "blooded", etc. If wildcards were always on by default, I'd have 696 results to be forced to sift through instead of the 372. Maybe you're different, but hey, too bad, learn to type an asterix in your searches. It won't kill you.

GraveWish wrote:

Commas motherfucker, do you know them?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Sure, it is possible to get the same results in V2 as V1 by putting a * both in front and behind the word

Exactly. And that's there to stay. Please, I don't want to see any further complaints about wildcards. They are here to stay whether you like it or not. Wildcards are an industry standard, and if people are too dumb to use them despite messages encouraging them to do so if they find nothing, a help page explaining them, etc., then I really couldn't care less if they are "confused".

Quote:

Because when I, personally, type "blood", I want to find results with the word "blood" (currently 372 results) and EXCLUDE "bloody", "blooded", etc. If wildcards were always on by default, I'd have 696 results to be forced to sift through instead of the 372. Maybe you're different, but hey, too bad, learn to type an asterix in your searches. It won't kill you.

No more complaints then. Certainly won't kill me, just something to get used to.

If someone were to do a search with just a "*", repeatedly, would it tax the system? This search returns all bands, perhaps in the algorithm a check to see if there is only 1 character, that being *, to return 0 results or an error. Or, even checking to see if there is only one distinct character, which is *, which would prevent users from using "**" to "************" as bypasses.

Now I tested two consecutive searches with "*" and there didn't seem to be any lag. Both searches returned results fairly quickly. With modern processors, iterating through the entire band database may not be much of a tax anyway. However, both Yahoo! and Google return no results when just * is entered. Or if the entire string is nothing but *s and spaces.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 pm 

About the reports as a non-veteran user, I understand. I was just surprised to apparently have the option even though I don't have the status required to use it. Thanks for your answers. :)

Evenfiel wrote:
In fact, if you're not a veteran, I don't think that you should waste your time with the reports, since you won't be able to deal with the vast majority of them.
Morrigan wrote:
So, as a non-Veteran, feel free to look at them, but there's probably not much you can do about it.

You're absolutely right. I just browsed it out of curiosity, and also to check if my own reports had made it through.

Quote:
An "artist" can be anyone who had something to do with the album.
Please use the word "engineer".

Cool, thanks again for your reply! :metal:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 pm 

Regarding reports: there is now a "My reports" screen you can use to follow-up on your submitted reports (and those you've commented on). This should be pretty useful, I think.

Goatfangs - Yeah, it's probably best if we added a check for that, but nothing urgent at the moment. I'll file an issue.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Regarding reports: there is now a "My reports" screen you can use to follow-up on your submitted reports (and those you've commented on). This should be pretty useful, I think.

:thumbsup:

How long it takes for a closed report to disappear from the list?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 pm 

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Very nice! It's pretty handy and also interesting, with the log of what was done with the report (if I'm not mistaken, previously closed reports just disappeared). Now, I'll really have no reason to dwell on the reports queue. Thanks! :metal:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 am 

Well, if your report involved a deletion (for example a duplicate artist), your report will be deleted alongside of the duplicate, but for the rest, they were still under the "closed" tab -- there were just many of them so you probably couldn't locate yours easily.

Evenfiel wrote:
How long it takes for a closed report to disappear from the list?

So far, there is no automatic purge. I'll write a purge script sooner or later, but if they get too cluttered before I get to that, I'll purge them manually at that point.

I'll also get a purge for the modification history. Eventually we'll probably keep the last month of updates or so (exact duration to be determined).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 am 

Hmm, am I just seeing double from typing this same line-up one too many times, or is this weird? :D

It only seems to affect the "Search Artist" screen within the "Edit Lineup" menu, not the actual Lineup tab for the release or the artist's page. But it does this for each band member of Helloween, and I'm pretty sure it didn't just a few hours ago. A few minutes later: Okay, now it's back to normal. So it only happened this once, I suppose. Weird glitch, though.

chillybones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 am 

If there is one thing that bothers me above all else about v2 its the fact that it doesn't scale the page to wider resolutions like the old MA did. It makes it feel like the space is wasted.

Unless I am mistaken and it can be fixed on the user end, this picture illustrates what I am talking about.

Secondary issues I have with it are:

-While I understand using a different color scheme, the new one is very dark, and is not very easy on the eyes

-The information is more organized, but at the price of simplicity(a classic view option would be amazing)

-Lastly, though it is very minor, I feel that the notes would be more appropriately placed underneath the tabbed boxes(Discography, Members, Reviews, etc...) it is, after all, miscellaneous information

I look forward to a more efficient and useful Metal Archives!

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
Also, I've noticed that in my collection some of the discographies appear out of order after the first page. This only seems to be an issue for non full length releases.

Really? I checked your collection and it looks ok.

Check out Destruction, Demilich, Enslaved, Finntroll, and Graveland. There are quite a few others as well.

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
And speaking of pages, is there a way to make collections listed all on one page instead of only 100 albums per page, like in the old site? It's confusing when half of a bands releases are on one page and the other half are on the next, as well as when i am trying to find a specific album or band.

In the future there will be an option to change the number of results in a list.

Thanks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 65  Next